TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

EDIT: The drawing seems legit to me (RMC/Ride Centerline have been known to show basic renderings in No Limits), which means KD has at least placed a bid for a hurler renovation. I wish it didn't have a inverting first drop, but it would be amazing with any RMC layout!

That looks like a drafting sheet. I'm suspicious, though that image obviously isn't the entire sheet. Based on where that title block is on the sheet, if you extended the layout to the left where the big sweeping curve is, it would technically go off the paper. Also, why would you have an elevation that's rotated 90 degrees compared to the orientation of the text?

Exactly, either the title block is on the left side of the sheet or the views are just extra weird. Also, the angle of the layout isn't full profile, it's slightly off. The more I look at it, the less convinced I am.

CONFIRMED HOAX

Sorry for putting people through this roller coaster (heh) of emotion.

CBS channel 6 had on the news last night that riding coasters can be good for you in helping clear out kidney stones! Kept showing a POV clip of Shockwave over and over, between little clips of other stuff. I knew it was good for you.

I'll hopefully be visiting the park this Saturday for both the day and their Haunt event. I haven't been to KD's Haunt event in a long time and I'd like to be able to do as much as possible without a FrightLane pass if possible. Do you guys have any tips on what order we should do the mazes, which mazes should be priorities, or any other helpful information? Thanks!

Are there any particular shops in the park that are guaranteed to have magnets? Like coaster themed refrigerator magnets? Thanks!

the options when we were there were terrible. For magnets and shirts (I really wanted a singing mushroom shirt, and despite being the beginning of summer (June) nothing decent avail).

we ended up with these. . which were by far the "best" offered, found at the two stores near the front gate after checking several gift shops:

IMG_1029.thumb.JPG.39a9b11144e4ef5905e8eb35f64a8fe7.JPG

IMG_1030.thumb.JPG.965666fe579c55768d93647974ad9474.JPG

Thanks guys. Magnets are just about the only thing I collect coaster/park related, other than maps. I own maybe 5 coaster related tshirts. I usually think they are so ugly/tacky. With the magnets I like them to be as ridiculous as possible, but if I like the ride alot I'll buy it regardless of what it looks like.

Thanks guys. Magnets are just about the only thing I collect coaster/park related, other than maps. I own maybe 5 coaster related tshirts. I usually think they are so ugly/tacky. With the magnets I like them to be as ridiculous as possible, but if I like the ride alot I'll buy it regardless of what it looks like.

Dorney had some amazing magnets. . LOL. . we ended up w/ 3 of them, from our least favorite park on our Pennsylvania trip a couple of years back!

I have a ton from Dorney, Kennywood and almost every coaster at GreatAdv. Only one from CP. No luck whatsoever at SFOG. Asking employees and them acting like I was a lunatic. Hoping to pick some up at Hershey next month, if they even have them.

I have a ton from Dorney, Kennywood and almost every coaster at GreatAdv. Only one from CP. No luck whatsoever at SFOG. Asking employees and them acting like I was a lunatic. Hoping to pick some up at Hershey next month, if they even have them.

Hershey has some great magnets too.

we have the Ferris Wheel (that spins, and then the individual cars spin!):

and the "wood sign style" one on the fridge.

340724137_House2014.JPG.40b03c1e4d5f921b9d6fba8ca33d17b9.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG.49ee145cfd97dcddc029df9bcc9915aa.JPG

As typically a backseat rider, I'm curious where the regulars/locals like to sit on each of the coasters @ KD. I know coasterbill loves the back of Dominator. Whats everyone else think? Thanks!

I305 is an absolute must in the backseat. The pull over the first drop is amazing. I agree Dominator is also best in the backseat as it's much more forceful than the other rows. Grizzly and Anaconda are great in the backseat as well. I usually prefer front row for Volcano and Backlot.

I305 is an absolute must in the backseat. The pull over the first drop is amazing. I agree Dominator is also best in the backseat as it's much more forceful than the other rows. Grizzly and Anaconda are great in the backseat as well. I usually prefer front row for Volcano and Backlot.

The only seats I do on I305 nowadays are the last and first rows. Can't beat'em. I pretty much echo all of this; I did the front row twice on Grizzly last weekend on Sunday, and it was great! Best rides I had in a while. I also do the front on Dominator; although, that's more for experience.

If you and coasterbill are staying through to the evening; I suggest I305, Volcano, Grizzly (especially), Dominator, and Drop Tower at night. Drop Tower at night is one of my guilty pleasure rides at night; you can look out and see the lights of the park and it looks nice. Course, that's just me.

Word of warning, however; we've finally gotten a good amount of rain in the DC Metro Area, even stretching down I-95 to Richmond and beyond. It actually ended up canceling area schools and closing major roads thanks to flash flooding. The rain is supposed to die off this weekend; though some of the rain may linger through till Saturday (I don't know which day/s you guys are going). I'm sure you guys will be okay, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Looking forward to your guys' report! Sounds like you two are gonna have a blast!

Last night was decent, actually could have been gloomier and wetter but was better than too much. Medium-short lines on houses at peak, short for rides.

Of the houses, I liked the new Trick or Treat and was tempted to go through again (I will eventually of course). I don't know if they need to learn to work Blackout but it was a huge loss compared to Club Blood. I got a solo trip through Darkside Manor and it was great. That, T&T and maybe the Doll's House are the musts for houses. The new Urgent Scare is basically Maze of Madness renamed. Also good but tends to collect a line.

As to Saturday/reccs, rained all night but finally moving off. Remember FoF closes early (and backs up just before, probably). Dominator front row is actually great, it's just weird how little of that you get in the 2nd row. Grizzly is more any non-wheel seat but RY is front 2 rows or near back. Frankly, I305 is any seat but of course you'll want to try its extremes at least once.

I prefer the front on Dominator and Volcano. Anaconda is pretty consistent in all of the rows, but I like the front since the one turn a little more than halfway through that's the only seriously rough spot is more comfortable in the front. I think I slightly prefer I305 in the back, and Grizzly is DEFINITELY a ride you have to do in the back row!

Boldikus: Volcano in the front all the way!! Definitely worth the wait. Super unique and smooth, but short like Storm Runner. Any coaster that has a launch or a lot of speed is a front seat ride must! I usually like the 2nd to last row on I-305 but I was at the park a few weeks ago and was able to practically walk on I-305 in the front and LOVED it. Very different sensation than in the back and the wind in your hair can't be beat. Anaconda I like in the first half of the train, front of a car and keep your head all the way forward the entire time. Those corkscrews are something else!

Just like coasterbill has the Mean Streak trick, I have a trick for I-305 so you don't grey out. At the bottom of the first hill when you do the massive right hand turn to the airtime hill, squeeze the absolute hell out of your butt cheeks. Clench harder than you've ever done before! I was told it's what fighter pilots do to keep the blood in the upper half of their body. Works on any ride with a helix as well but I-305 it's an absolute must for me. I also recommend resisting the urge to hop back in like and instead taking a few minutes to sit on a bench between rides because multiple in a row on it can suddenly wear you out for the rest of the day.

Going clockwise around the park from the front: Hit up Berserker (upside down pirate ship) and Dominator, Scooby Doo Coaster which I think is called Woodstock somethingorother now. It's the blue wooden kiddie coaster but a lot of fun. KD has an excellent Boo Blasters on Boo Hill setup (near Dominator/Snoopyland) and everything actually works so hit that up too, it's a little bit hidden though. None of the effects on Stunt Coaster are working but it's a zippy little thing and very smooth so hit it up.

In the middle of the park: Drop Tower is a must. I love Bad Apple as well. Delirium is a huge disappointment compared to Black Widow or even MaxAir. Rebel Yell is fun like Blue Streak at CP but one side is smoother than the other... I can't remember which at the moment though, sorry. Take away 10 points from me if you need to. There's a cool wild maus hidden between Rebel Yell and Hurler with the entrance right next to Hurler. People seem to like Windseeker but the line takes forever and the view is crap compared to CP. Log flume, of course, and the Eiffel Tower is really fun and you can get a great view of I-305 hauling the entire course from up there.

You better make a TR with lots of pics!!

Went to Kings Dominion last night (not part of the ACE trip, I must clarify lol) and it definitely won the award for worst cedar fair haunt I've ever been to. (last year I did Dorney, Wonderland, Kings Island, and Cedar Point.) It's slightly above Fright Fest at SFNE a few years ago, which is the crappiest haunt I've ever been to. Should have a full review to come! Going to Scarowinds tonight I'm hoping it goes better.

Edited by anonymouscactus

Also had an amazing day and night at KD yesterday. Got a nice mini marathon on I305 in the morning and again at night. Such an insanely good coaster. Very front and far back are best imo but no matter where you end up you are pretty much guaranteed an incredibly intense and fun ride.

Haunt was really good but does have room for improvement. Most of the actors I saw were fantastic. SFGAdv has always been my home park so it's always nice to go to a haunt event that has more than 3 mazes. Some of the mazes, specifically Trick or Treat and No Vacancy, were so detailed and well designed.

Boldikus, were you there last night? I think I was in the front row on I305 when you were in the 2nd. I heard two people talking about how they'd trade I305 for Kingda Ka in a second and assumed it must have been one of the SGFAdv guys.

Boldikus, were you there last night? I think I was in the front row on I305 when you were in the 2nd. I heard two people talking about how they'd trade I305 for Kingda Ka in a second and assumed it must have been one of the SGFAdv guys.

That was us.