TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Intimidator was open most of the day. It was just a normal temporary breakdown. I don't think Volcano opened. If you head over today please keep us posted. It had better be running next weekend (though if not then Boldikus is just going to have to come back next year too lol).

These markers are visible on the turn into the lift, first turn, 2 airtime hills, and the turnaround by grizzly. Also numbers painted in red visible from grizzly's lift.

What are these two airtime hills that you speak of on Grizzly?

Seriously though...I would rather that they RMC Grizzly then Hurler. You could go all Outlaw Run back in those woods which would be way better than the openness of Hurler.

Or they could just RMC them both...I'd be cool with that too.

Was down in VA for a wedding this weekend so we decided to hit up the park, my first time here.

Was a perfect day, the weather was great and the park was completely dead. Everything was a walk on. Said Volcano was closed when we got there but it ended up opening. We walked on every ride except Volcano which was the longest wait but it was only about 5 minutes.

Overall it was good, went on that, forget the name, its like looping starship from Great Adventure which is my home park, miss that ride. Anyway we went on that first and then got stuck when the harness wouldnt open, took 15 min to get them to open it so that wasnt a good start to the day but after that it was good.

305 was great, thats what I wanted to get on, big hill, fast as hell, great turns, no line, rode it 3x in a row.

Volcano was really cool, the Flight of Fear was nice, Dominator was smooth, even went on that bobsled ride which I havent been on since 80's at Great Adventure.

Like all parks food was expensive, 6.30 for a slice of pizza. We banged out the park in under 4 hours. We would have went for round two and hit everything up again but we had a long drive back to NJ, 7 hours so we left early, we got on everything.

Then of course on our way home once we are in NJ on Rt 70 we hit a deer, luckily we skimmed it, we were fine, car was fine and also the deer was fine, ran off, good thing I swerved and it turned and we just rubbed against its body, no damage.

Anyway great wedding, big Italian wedding, had a great time and a great trip to KD. Probably wont be back next year, thinking of hitting up New England Six Flags next year and maybe another park but year after that I'd def come back to KD, maybe they'll have a new ride by then.

To everyone discussing alcohol, VA ABC laws are a little bit hokey. You cannot purchase alcohol for consumption and leave the establishment with an open container. Even restaurants and wineries will sell you a bottle of wine, but in order to leave with it, they have to re-cork it. It's possible that at KD each restaurant is considered an establishment and at BGW the entire park is? That's an interesting circumstance that I wasn't aware of. Not sure how they get around it.

I found this "leaked" picture on a lame coaster Facebook page. Sent to somebody on Instagram. Looks like it says "Hurler Renovation" in the title block of the drawing.

EDIT: The drawing seems legit to me (RMC/Ride Centerline have been known to show basic renderings in No Limits), which means KD has at least placed a bid for a hurler renovation. I wish it didn't have a inverting first drop, but it would be amazing with any RMC layout!

image.thumb.jpeg.853c8812be38c5e7abef624eb7463be0.jpeg

Edited by chickenbowl

I found this "leaked" picture on a lame coaster Facebook page.

This should've stopped you in your tracks, that isn't remotely close to something you should consider a legitimate source.

I purposefully posted where I got it so you can draw your own conclusions - Even if you don't think it's legitimate I thought others should get the chance to judge it themselves.

Edit: Was going to point out that it looks like No Limits and therefore was probably fan-made, but I missed that you had already mentioned the NL part in your post. Let's see, there's so much fan-made stuff floating around that I personally would not start getting excited over it...

I dunno man. I just saw this posted in a microsoft paint forum and I mean it says Hurler Renovation on it. Certainly seems plausible. The fact that they used red track is a dead giveaway.

hurler.jpg.752e55572e9e37a97992f6a5af17d58b.jpg

Thing is gonna have hella airtime yo

This should've stopped you in your tracks, that isn't remotely close to something you should consider a legitimate source.

I purposefully posted where I got it so you can draw your own conclusions - Even if you don't think it's legitimate I thought others should get the chance to judge it themselves.

I assume "lame coaster Facebook page" is a word filter?

I assume "lame coaster Facebook page" is a word filter?

Nope, the group is called Coaster Park Klub - And the original poster said "Found this on a private Instagram DM." He since deleted the post, but not before I saved it. I called it lame because the discussion there is pretty childish and derivative of other places to discuss news.

Thanks for clarifying. I was totally wrong about the Mean Streak thing so I won't bother speaking on this with any authority but I'm not getting excited about it yet.

Personally I think an RMC Hurler is plausible though. Having a coaster closed for an entire season "for maintenance" with very little work going on is unprecedented. Cedar Fair is working with RMC at Cedar Point and similar markers have appeared on Hurler. Does any of this mean anything for sure? No. But it's not exactly farfetched to think that this is a possibility.

Selfishly I love the idea for a number of reasons.

1) It would put to rest any rumors surrounding Shenandoah Lumber Company. It's unlikely that this park would receive any major coasters for awhile after building this so any chance that that dumb rumor was real would be squashed.

2) It would be a spectacular coaster. Sure some people would claim that the layout was boring and not conducive to RMC but they've said that about every RMC renovation to date and been wrong every single time. Even if this was a lower tier RMC it would still be spectacular and a great addition to an already fantastic lineup.

3) Carowinds has a clone of the same ride, so it's plausible that down the line they could clone it and drop it there also. Would they? Who knows. But it makes for fun speculation.

Oh, and to clarify I'm not talking about a 2017 addition. They already announced their 2017 additions, get over it.

Thanks for clarifying. I was totally wrong about the Mean Streak thing so I won't bother speaking on this with any authority but I'm not getting excited about it yet.

I think it's best to be doubtful of it anyway. I won't fully believe it until I see a stamp on the drawings. But it does look moderately professional for a basic ride render. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hoax.

EDIT: The drawing seems legit to me (RMC/Ride Centerline have been known to show basic renderings in No Limits), which means KD has at least placed a bid for a hurler renovation. I wish it didn't have a inverting first drop, but it would be amazing with any RMC layout!

That looks like a drafting sheet. I'm suspicious, though that image obviously isn't the entire sheet. Based on where that title block is on the sheet, if you extended the layout to the left where the big sweeping curve is, it would technically go off the paper. Also, why would you have an elevation that's rotated 90 degrees compared to the orientation of the text?