TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

There's rumors That they're removing the flume for a launched wing coaster.

This would be awful but it's also ridiculous so I'm not too worried about it. Replacing that flume with basically anything would be a major downgrade.

To steal Boldikus' phrase though, if they lay a finger on Shenandoah Lumber Company ever then I'll flip the entire park into the lake. And on top of that it's located in the nicest area of the park and removing a bunch of trees for a coaster sounds awful when there are tons of better places to put it.

^^-- Plus, the view from higher than the flume would include some ugly stuff. I think that's fairly absurd considering the age of some of their coasters, although the flume is even older than most and won't last forever.

although the flume is even older than most and won't last forever.

This and this.

If you have a ride as wildly popular as Shenandoah Lumber Company (and every Log Flume basically) and you want it to last forever then you can and should make it last forever.

Yeah, I finally got to ride the Shenandoah Lumber Company Log Flume this year and it was awesome. We rode it in a downpour so it made it even more special. I seriously hope that screamscape rumor is bullshit. Parks need log flumes. They need to build their B&M elsewhere.

although the flume is even older than most and won't last forever.

This and this.

If you have a ride as wildly popular as Shenandoah Lumber Company (and every Log Flume basically) and you want it to last forever then you can and should make it last forever.

Those links are very interesting and I agree. The ride that got my parents/family back there (once) after the preview year visit. They could do with another slightly wet ride.

Did anyone see screamscape lately.....

There's rumors That they're removing the flume for a launched wing coaster.

The rumor was for a launched flying coaster, which would be equally bull***

Fixed. Shenandoah Lumber Company is better than any dumb flying coaster or any dumb wing coaster. Stay mad KD fans.

^^--

They just got rid of a standup, why would they want a flyer, the only thing worse? At least when KD finally gets another coaster, they should be able to avoid those mis-steps and failed experiments. I haven't tried the wing so I can't say on that, at least you're sitting down.

(actually I think all those ride formats could be made better, but that wasn't the point)

Personally I would love either. My main concern is with Shenandoah Lumber Company.

If they keep that and put the coaster elsewhere then it's a great move. Especially if it replaces something like Hurler or Dinosaurs alive, both of which take up more room than the flume and both of which suck (unlike the flume). Plus if they remove Dinosaurs and the Go Karts (and Cedar Fair loves removing Go Karts) it opens up a huge plot of land right up to the midway and they can fix the fact that Hurler's entrance is in a ridiculous location behind a gift shop and you can keep the awesome flume and not ruin the look of Old Virginia (the nicest part of the park).

That being said I think the big question is still whether or not Hurler opens next year. If not it would seem entirely likely that the next major capital expenditure would involve a coaster in Hurler's spot (Banshee style) or a refurbishment of Hurler.

My lard , I cannot imagine a LAUNCHED Flying Coaster. I know Eyerly was inovative back in the day but, holy cow. Launched ? That would be insane.

It's actually better because it's a flying coaster, not necessarily because it's launched . I love log flumes, and KD's does not disappoint, but if they built a flying coaster like Universal Japan's or Starry Sky Ripper, I wouldn't be sad to see it go.

OMG they're still building those things. No improvements either. A decent flyer would 1) allow you to see where you're going, look at a pic of Superman flying he's got his head tilted back in a way impossible with headrests, also your body could be tilted less, not as flat. 2) no pretzel loop torture (high Gs on back), which would be also required to remove/change said headrests. 3) the only reason to even endure any of that would be to have airtime in the layout, mostly noninverting but also an inverted stall type maneuver.

Anyone building a new B&M Flyer needs to ride Tatsu and Starry Sky Ripper and tell B&M to top these if they want the contract.

Agreed, but if this particular rumor has merit (and I don't think it does since Hurler is still sitting there with little visible work going on) they also need to ride Shenandoah Lumber Company and Hurler and decide which of the 2 rides should be replaced before deciding where to put the aforementioned world-beating flying coaster.

2) no pretzel loop torture

Woah woah woah. Pretzel loops are the best part of any flyer, especially those crap Superman clones. Don't take it away from me!

I respectfully disagree. That happens to be the least enjoyable part of the ride for me.

And after losing all the good flumes near me (GL & CP), that is never something you want to see a park remove.

Okay. I'm about to be that guy.

We're going to KD next Saturday for Haunt and there's a great deal online which is an admission / Fastlane combo. In the past we've gone for Haunt on Saturdays and the lines have been huge but that's usually a little closer to Halloween. Generally are the crowds huge throughout Haunt or are they lighter the first few weeks?