TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

It would be great if they got a nice B&M people mover. I think a wing coaster would be cool to add to the line up at KD. I hope its not a flying coaster (not a fan even though I thought Manta was great). A launched flyer .. please no thanks. Would love something like Fury 325!

I do believe they handled this announcement very poorly (i.e. the Snoopy expansion). I feel like they really led people on that it was going to be something major and well this was a huge let down. Happy for the little kids and Snoopy area but seriously KD should have gotten a new coaster for next year (a good sized one).

My guess is KD will not get anything major for a few more years. CF seems content to constantly add to CP, KI, CW, Canada's Wonderland but not KD. Yes it got Maxair this year but it lost Shockwave to do it. It got i305 some time ago which I was shocked about but not thrilled about either, not a big fan of the ride to be honest. However it did get a big coaster. KI has gotten what 3 in that same time frame? Anyway just have to wait and see what happens and just be happy with what we have for now. Hell at least VA has two pretty damn good parks within hour and half of each other. I am thankful for that!

I'm perfectly fine with the Planet Snoopy additions and especially the awesome new wi-fi and I agree that some of these fans on social media need to shut the f*ck up about them not getting exactly what they wanted.

With that said 2018 is the perfect year to introduce a new coaster and to gain visitors again, especially after the massive backlash they're getting. I'm not sure what's going on with Canada's Wonderland but I believe their working on a grand resort right now over a coaster.

Edited by TOGOMasterRace

Would love something like Fury 325!

This sounds like a totally reasonable possibility. Making a regional park that's in the lower half of the chain in attendance and revenue the first park in the world with 2 giga coasters is a spectacular idea and a wonderful investment. I'm surprised they haven't started pouring footers already.

This sounds like a totally reasonable possibility. Making a regional park that's in the lower half of the chain in attendance and revenue the first park in the world with 2 giga coasters is a spectacular idea and a wonderful investment. I'm surprised they haven't started pouring footers already.

They're in the upper half in attendance (like 5 or 6)

These last couple days you have become the voice of reason on this thread

#6 with 11 parks is in the lower half (unless you seriously count Gilroy Gardens), but any way you shake it they have a very small percentage of the total revenue of the company when compared to parks like Knott's, Cedar Point (with tons of on-site hotel rooms and in the process of adding more) and Wonderland.

**Warning** I change topics a lot in this post. Kinda just saying what's going on in my mind right now, being a KD fanboy.

I don't get why everyone is saying that CF treats CW and Cwnds better than KD. Just because they got two coasters while KD got one doesn't really mean they are being treated better, it is probably just KD being really late on adding a new coaster. It's parks like KI and CP that are being treated really good.

It does annoy me how KI and CP have gotten so many things lately though. They have gotten either a coaster or a coaster modification every year since 2013... I get that they have high attendance, but dang... And there are still people that think that KI or CP are not treated well enough.

(Okay so this is the part of the post where I figured I might as well start talking about my thoughts on what's happening with KD, because why not?)

I honestly just want KD to get something big, it doesn't even have to be a coaster. Just something big enough to show people that it is not neglected and it is a perfectly legitimate alternative to BGW. Because right now KD is going lower and lower down in peoples' lists. I'm starting to lose hope in KD... And it makes me sad to see this happening because I literally just gave up on SFA (my home park) after the horrid 2015 addition... "And for one of our most neglected parks, a ride we stole from the local fair!"

Anyways... I'm just kinda depressed about what is happening, and I just want to see something bigger added to KD soon, just so I can know that KD isn't going to turn into a lower tier park like WOF or DP. Heck I even have friends that are planning trips in the area that are just like: "Okay, so I'll spend half the day at SFA and the other half at KD to get the creds, then spend two full days at BGW and Carowinds." and I just kinda hear that and die a little bit inside. XD

I just really want to see KD get recognized as the great park that it is, and not some credit park that you only spend 2 hours at... And I know that this post is kinda a mess and I probably look really stupid posting this, but I just wanted to express my opinions on this. Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is it just me?

#6 with 11 parks is in the lower half (unless you seriously count Gilroy Gardens), but any way you shake it they have a very small percentage of the total revenue of the company when compared to parks like Knott's, Cedar Point (with tons of on-site hotel rooms and in the process of adding more) and Wonderland.

True, but that doesn't have a 100% direct effect on investments, otherwise Knott's and CW would have gotten new coasters a lot sooner.

In other news when visiting that petition that was posted here I came across this: https://www.change.org/p/anyone-shut-down-theme-park-review-64a8b428-7210-4f2c-99d6-cfe9d10cd275

Sounds like a cry baby fan boy that should of been banned

**Warning** I change topics a lot in this post. Kinda just saying what's going on in my mind right now, being a KD fanboy.

I don't get why everyone is saying that CF treats CW and Cwnds better than KD. Just because they got two coasters while KD got one doesn't really mean they are being treated better, it is probably just KD being really late on adding a new coaster. It's parks like KI and CP that are being treated really good.

It does annoy me how KI and CP have gotten so many things lately though. They have gotten either a coaster or a coaster modification every year since 2013... I get that they have high attendance, but dang... And there are still people that think that KI or CP are not treated well enough.

(Okay so this is the part of the post where I figured I might as well start talking about my thoughts on what's happening with KD, because why not?)

I honestly just want KD to get something big, it doesn't even have to be a coaster. Just something big enough to show people that it is not neglected and it is a perfectly legitimate alternative to BGW. Because right now KD is going lower and lower down in peoples' lists. I'm starting to lose hope in KD... And it makes me sad to see this happening because I literally just gave up on SFA (my home park) after the horrid 2015 addition... "And for one of our most neglected parks, a ride we stole from the local fair!"

Anyways... I'm just kinda depressed about what is happening, and I just want to see something bigger added to KD soon, just so I can know that KD isn't going to turn into a lower tier park like WOF or DP. Heck I even have friends that are planning trips in the area that are just like: "Okay, so I'll spend half the day at SFA and the other half at KD to get the creds, then spend two full days at BGW and Carowinds." and I just kinda hear that and die a little bit inside. XD

I just really want to see KD get recognized as the great park that it is, and not some credit park that you only spend 2 hours at... And I know that this post is kinda a mess and I probably look really stupid posting this, but I just wanted to express my opinions on this. Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is it just me?

A big reason KD hasn't gotten a coaster for a while is because they don't have the space. They can't just expand because they feel like it, but rather if they have the money and a good reason for it. If Hurler gets the axe then that space will likely be created to put a decent ride there.

As for the land behind I305, hell to the no. But yeah. This park has gotten everything possible since I305 except a new coaster. In 2018 I'm predicting they'll finally get one and the rabid KD fanboys can finally shut up for the next 5 years (at least).

The Mean Streak announcement will happen after September 16, so who knows what else will come of it.

Are you suggesting that the Mean Streak announcement will have anything to do with Kings Dominion? I'm confused.

I'm saying Cedar Fair isn't done talking about the development of their parks, so we may be hearing more.

A big reason KD hasn't gotten a coaster for a while is because they don't have the space. They can't just expand because they feel like it, but rather if they have the money and a good reason for it. If Hurler gets the axe then that space will likely be created to put a decent ride there.

As for the land behind I305, hell to the no. But yeah. This park has gotten everything possible since I305 except a new coaster. In 2018 I'm predicting they'll finally get one and the rabid KD fanboys can finally shut up for the next 5 years (at least).

KD has a TON of land that is not being used.

I'm saying Cedar Fair isn't done talking about the development of their parks, so we may be hearing more.

So you think Cedar Point's announcement will include a Kings Dominion announcement? You people are in such denial I'm honestly starting to feel a little bad for you.

You're getting a Planet Snoopy expansion. I know they said there would be "more" but you guys are putting way too much into that statement. Every park says that every single time they add anything. If it were anything worthwhile they would have announced it when they had a big presentation in a theater. It's time to accept reality and move on.

Should we make a "Really More Coming = RMC" drinking game?

Would love to participate, but I'm a few years too young for that, and also alcohol ain't a thing here in Saudi Arabia, so nope.

Either way, I do acknowledge that this may be some stupid coincidence, but I kind of pity these KD fans tbh.

So you think Cedar Point's announcement will include a Kings Dominion announcement? You people are in such denial I'm honestly starting to feel a little bad for you.

You're getting a Planet Snoopy expansion. I know they said there would be "more" but you guys are putting way too much into that statement. Every park says that every single time they add anything. If it were anything worthwhile they would have announced it when they had a big presentation in a theater. It's time to accept reality and move on.

Firstly, you shouldn't include me into any "you people" group. I have no interest in taking sides in this discussion, and as an employee of Cedar Fair, it's a wise choice.

Secondly, my statement, "[...]Cedar Fair isn't done talking about the development of their parks, so we may be hearing more."

I put the important part in bold. Allow me to define the word for you as well.

I like Merriam-Webster and their definitions, so I'll use theirs.

Coming from definition C:

May - used to indicate possibility or probability.

While I would love to say some equivocation could have occurred in my statement, my statement is extremely clear.

In no way, shape, or form did I ever say that Cedar Point's announcement will include a King's Dominion announcement. That is you placing extraneous information into my statement.

So in a final breakdown.

Cedar Fair isn't done talking about the development of their parks

• - Canada's Wonderland and a few other parks have not announced their 2017 attractions
    - Cedar Point GM mentioned that news on Mean Streak will come after the 16th of September

So we may be hearing more.

• - about Mean Streak
    - about additional plans for any of the Cedar Fair parks, especially Canada's Wonderland and the parks who have yet to make their announcements

So if you could stop pulling words out of your behind, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

well okay then.

I know what the word "may" means. My only point was that if you believe there's any reasonable chance that they're going to make any meaningful announcement (in the eyes of everyone in this thread that would mean a coaster) for KD in 2017 after they already teased and announced what they were doing then I think you're wrong. I don't know why that's an inflammatory statement. It wasn't supposed to be but this thread has gone entirely insane.

^^ Please lighten up a little bit - I put a winkie emoticon to show you that I was only kidding.

Most of us are pretty aware that CF isn't done with their announcements and yes...we have all seen the "Really More is Coming" thing. If it's an RMC somewhere at a CF park in the next year or two great...if not, most of us will manage to somehow survive.

Talking down to enthusiasts when you are only a ride-op at a CF park comes across like you are a pretentious dick-head that is only going to stir up trouble here.

Edited by Philrad71