TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

As much as I am mad over the as-of-today misleading advertising.

How was any of the advertising misleading? Did I miss any of them saying "Snooping around our new for 2017 coaster!"? It was "misleading" because you made yourself think it was OBVIOUSLY a new coaster or RMC Hurler. It's called good PR and marketing that got people to tune in for the announcement. Unlike what a lot of you think the park should add. They do plenty of market research to determine what goes into these parks based off the budget allowed. They've determined that KD doesn't need a new coaster or the ROI does not justify it at the moment. There is a reason that CF as a chain continues to set records for attendance and per-cap spending and it's not because they want to make fanboy coaster enthusiasts happy. We do not drive their business. Families with children who spend tons of cash do. That's why this is a great addition!

**Geauga Lake was my home park, I feel no sympathy that you all let yourselves get so hyped for nothing!

Edited by WolfBobs

F*ck this park so much. Seriously. You don't create an illusion of a new thrill ride and then announce kiddie rides.

If you go by the announcement page on the website, they are adding thrill rides, three of them.

Planet Snoopy has been a family fun favorite at Kings Dominion since 2013. We're making room for more fun, more laughs and more thrills in 2017 by adding three new thrill rides for your family and expanding the Planet Snoopy experience including a new event space and upgraded food and beverage locations.

You do realize that there are parks in the chain that have gone even longer without a new coaster. Forgive those fanbases for not showing any sympathy for your struggles.

You do realize KD still receives greater attendance numbers than all of those who have gone longer and although we aren't in the era of Coaster Wars anymore, the park has never went through a coaster drought period like this before. This makes it at least 8 years in between coasters now - the previous longest gap was 5 years from 1977-1982.

2010 Intimidator 305

2008 Dominator

2006 Backlot Stunt Coaster

2002 Ricochet

2001 Hypersonic XLC

1998 Volcano

1996 Flight of Fear

1994 Hurler

1991 Anaconda

1988 Avalanche

1986 Shockwave

1982 Grizzly

1977 King Kobra

F*ck this park so much. Seriously. You don't create an illusion of a new thrill ride and then announce kiddie rides.

Say it with me... MARKETING.

You created the illusion yourself. There were plenty people pointing out that Snoopy was in each tease which probably meant Planet Snoopy. The beer goggles some of you had one could only see a coaster.

As much as I am mad over the as-of-today misleading advertising.

How was any of the advertising misleading? Did I miss any of them saying "Snooping around our new for 2017 coaster!"? It was "misleading" because you made yourself think it was OBVIOUSLY a new coaster or RMC Hurler. It's called good PR and marketing that got people to tune in for the announcement. Unlike what a lot of you think the park should add. They do plenty of market research to determine what goes into these parks based off the budget allowed. They've determined that KD doesn't need a new coaster or the ROI does not justify it at the moment. There is a reason that CF as a chain continues to set records for attendance and per-cap spending and it's not because they want to make fanboy coaster enthusiasts happy. We do not drive their business. Families with children who spend tons of cash do. That's why this is a great addition!

**Geauga Lake was my home park, I feel no sympathy that you all let yourselves get so hyped for nothing!

While I was refering to the fact that Hurler wasn't mentioned at the announcement and was in one/maybe two hints online (I didn't really care whether it was RMC or not), you make valid points. Thanks for that little wake-up call.

Say it with me... MARKETING.

You created the illusion yourself. There were plenty people pointing out that Snoopy was in each tease which probably meant Planet Snoopy. The beer goggles some of you had one could only see a coaster.

But why was snoopy looking at hurler and the supposed survey marker beside the ride? There's still a lot of mysteries.

You do realize that there are parks in the chain that have gone even longer without a new coaster. Forgive those fanbases for not showing any sympathy for your struggles.

You do realize KD still receives greater attendance numbers than all of those who have gone longer and although we aren't in the era of Coaster Wars anymore, the park has never went through a coaster drought period like this before. This makes it at least 8 years in between coasters now - the previous longest gap was 5 years from 1977-1982.

2010 Intimidator 305

2008 Dominator

2006 Backlot Stunt Coaster

2002 Ricochet

2001 Hypersonic XLC

1998 Volcano

1996 Flight of Fear

1994 Hurler

1991 Anaconda

1988 Avalanche

1986 Shockwave

1982 Grizzly

1977 King Kobra

Oh my. Well that changes everything.

The past is in the past. The new norm is that KD is not a priority park like it was when it was owned by Paramount. KD has received exactly ONE new coaster since it was bought by CF. I'd say you ought to be grateful you even got Dominator at this point.

When was the last time the ride was somewhat popular?

i rode it the day it opened. it was a disappointment from day one. the video of Mike Myers telling you how the coaster restraints work was probably the best part, and that is really saying something. the layout is boring and not fun. and Paramount didn't take care of it, which only made things worse.

part of the reason the layout is so weird is because originally they were going to have rock bands play concerts on a stage in the wide open area between the lift hill and the back turnaround. obviously that never came to pass, but the coaster's dumb layout was designed to accommodate that idea.

This announcement was probably one of the most disappointing announcements I've seen in a long time. I would have ever guessed that they got the SMALLEST expansion in the chain (besides Michigan's Adventure...).

I as gonna laugh when they got something really small, like GCI Hurler or Mass Effect. But laughing at this is almost cruel. I even feel sorry for MadMax. Is he still breathing?

This is how I feel - still really grateful for one of the best Cedar Fair parks in my home state. I still think it's the second best in the chain behind CP. However, when you don't have a child and aren't into water parks, KD has really only added Windseeker and Delirium (both great rides) since Intimidator in 2010. For locals who go 5+ times a season the lineup is for sure getting a bit stale and a new coaster is definitely needed. Another 25 million dollar coaster? No, but definitely something at least on the scale of an RMC and/or Mystic Timbers pricetag.

I wasn't going to comment on this mess but I completely feel this way. They have a really great collection of rides - no doubt about it - but I can't pinpoint it other than the lineup for me personally feels stale and the past 2 years I've found myself just not that interested in going. I'd rather drive twice or three times the distance to visit SFGAdv, BGW, or HP instead. Interestingly, I've been to SFGAdv 6 times this season already not including 2 visits to HITP and multiple visits last year, but I'm never bored at all. If I'm having a relaxing day I can walk around and find tons of slower rides to go on and enjoy the park that way. A slow day for me at KD means doing a lap and skipping half the rides. With that said, I'll be going to SFGAdv this Wed and KD the following Thurs and I'll have a great time both parks.

When I told SO that they announced more Planet Snoopy rides this morning he looked at me puzzled, then said "Didn't they just do major Snoopy stuff a couple years ago?" "Yes, I believe they have one of, if not the largest, Planet Snoopy area of any CF park." "Um, so... why are they doing more there again? That seems unnecessary." He likes coasters but isn't a parkaholic so his take on it was pretty funny.

Cedar Fair does one new coaster and one coaster renovation every year. It's Mystic Timbers and turning Vortex into Patriot, so I think it's over. The marketing mess was disappointing, but California's Great America needed some kind of coaster project way more than Kings Dominion needs one anyway. All Kings Dominion needs is an RMC (which none of the Cedar Fair parks have), and probably another B&M. Every single other Cedar Fair park except for KI and CP have MUCH bigger holes to fill.

It's unfortunate that KD overhyped this addition, but it's a nice addition. Not needed, but nice. Announcements are all about expectations.

2017 is an interesting year for CF parks. It is the first year since 2008 (excluding 2011) where they did not add a huge new B&M to one of their parks.

2008: Behemoth

2009: Diamondback

2010: Intimidator

2012: Leviathan

2013: GateKeeper

2014: Banshee

2015: Fury 325

2016: Valravn

HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW . . . did KD overhype anything? Lets take a step out of our little bubble people and realize, The only ones who overhyped anyhing is OURSELVES! It kills me, when the park doesn't get what WE want them to get then everything they did was overhyped. Again, you all hyped YOURSELVES up. As someone said, they are using snoopy so it was probably gonna be something for kids. You guys dismissed that with the quickness because it was too logical of thinking and not what the one (coaster)track mind-ers wanted.

I guess this is what happens to a park when the local government denies tax breaks and incentives. lol

It's unfortunate that KD overhyped this addition, but it's a nice addition. Not needed, but nice. Announcements are all about expectations.

This was already discussed, but I don't think KD overhyped this at all. I blame overeager enthusiasts and fanboys who read WAY too into most of it and extrapolated outrageous guesses based on minimal info.

I get that the Hurler announcement is disappointing, but all the park did was announce it wouldn't open this year. They never once hyped up anything around its reopening.

It is the first year since 2008 (excluding 2011)

So you mean it's the first time since 2011 then?

That's the perfect example of trying to manipulate data in order to support whatever argument you're trying to make.

i rode it the day it opened. it was a disappointment from day one. the video of Mike Myers telling you how the coaster restraints work was probably the best part, and that is really saying something. the layout is boring and not fun. and Paramount didn't take care of it, which only made things worse.

part of the reason the layout is so weird is because originally they were going to have rock bands play concerts on a stage in the wide open area between the lift hill and the back turnaround. obviously that never came to pass, but the coaster's dumb layout was designed to accommodate that idea.

You do realize the Hurler clones are mirrored images of Thunder Run at Kentucky Kingdom, right? The coaster wasn't designed to have a stage in the middle of the big turnaround, that's how the original clone was.

You do realize the Hurler clones are mirrored images of Thunder Run at Kentucky Kingdom, right? The coaster wasn't designed to have a stage in the middle of the big turnaround, that's how the original clone was.

tumblr_li2ozoZwHt1qbolbn.jpg

Definitely a surprise to me given the recent expansion, but it's something new for families, which is never a bad thing.

CF is probably just sitting back now getting a kick out of watching all of the over-entitled whiners on Facebook, Twitter...and to an extent, this forum thread have their hissy fits first before they announce Iron Hurler.

^^^^I think he said 2008 because that was the first full year CF took over the old Paramount parks, but yes, still a manipulative way to present data.

All I can do is LOL at the kids who are crying like little babies. One day when you're an adult you can move and make whichever park you desire be your home park. Just make it be the one that CF "likes" the most!

I think it's all over

Time to #Cut4KD

I fail to see how a park not getting a new thrill ride or a new coaster for next year is "the end". KD is not going to be Geauga'd just because the announcement was for a few new kiddie rides.

In terms of my opinion of this new expansion. As I said, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Sure, Iron Hurler or a new B&M would have been cool, but I'm not going to flip out over those things not being true.

Edited by fraroc

I think it's all over

Time to #Cut4KD

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how a park not getting a new thrill ride or a new coaster for next year is "the end" if that's what you're getting at. KD is not going to be Geauga'd just because the announcement was for a few new kiddie rides.

Yep they still got investment which is good. Dominator is not getting re-assembled again for a third home.

Edited by leroyk

The one thing that I would say crosses the line of "misleading" is the pic of Snoopy poking around at the Hurler site. I can't really think of any other examples of a park graphically suggesting that an announcement would pertain to a coaster when it ended up being the exact opposite. That's a clear troll in my book. The continued delay of answering "will it / won't it" for Hurler to even operate again has got to be a little maddening too. Beyond that, it's a business and they know their needs better than we do, so all of the other hype points directly back to us...