TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've had KD season passes for 8 years now, so next year might be the year I take a year break considering I have to drive 3.5 hours to get to the park. Although I live closer to Carowinds I can never visit that park more than once or twice a year considering it just doesn't do much for me besides the big 3 (Fury, Intimidator, Afterburn). I can drive 4 hours and get Dollywood season passes instead.

This is a fantastic addition to the park don't get me wrong, but it's becoming obvious that Cedar Fair is fine with BGW becoming the leading park in the region. 2018 needs to be big for KD for them to remain a regional power. For the park's benefit, I'm hoping SFA gets scrap as usual.

I'm interested to see the exact placement of these rides and if any are placed on the former Shockwave site.

Fantastic addition? No it is not. If their kid area was no good, then it would be fantastic, but it's already good. I hope SFA gets something real good to make it worse..lol..,but we all know that it will not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've had KD season passes for 8 years now, so next year might be the year I take a year break considering I have to drive 3.5 hours to get to the park. Although I live closer to Carowinds I can never visit that park more than once or twice a year considering it just doesn't do much for me besides the big 3 (Fury, Intimidator, Afterburn). I can drive 4 hours and get Dollywood season passes instead.

This is a fantastic addition to the park don't get me wrong, but it's becoming obvious that Cedar Fair is fine with BGW becoming the leading park in the region. 2018 needs to be big for KD for them to remain a regional power. For the park's benefit, I'm hoping SFA gets scrap as usual.

I'm interested to see the exact placement of these rides and if any are placed on the former Shockwave site.

Fantastic addition? No it is not. If their kid area was no good, then it would be fantastic, but it's already good. I hope SFA gets something real good to make it worse..lol..,but we all know that it will not.

Even though the announcement sucks, it's actually pretty interesting to see what's going to happen. In the In The Loop interview, they said that "you can only fit so many announcements into one day," and they also said that they didn't know if Hurler would open in 2017. Also, Canada's Wonderland could be getting a coaster, and it's still confusing about what's happening to Mean Streak. But then again, Cedar Fair does sort of a trend where they build one large coaster, and then a renovation of another. It's like Fury 325/Rougarou, then Valravn/Ghost Rider. This year could be Mystic Timbers/Patriot. These are less expensive, but it seems like the budget for Cedar Fair parks were spread out a little more evenly this year. So another possibility could be nothing else for any Cedar Fair parks.

And also madmax died, so that's alright with me I guess.

Wait guys! I realized something! Kings Dominion is SLOWLY KILLING THEMSELVES!

Allow me to elaborate:

Kings Dominion got Intimidator in 2010.

Intimidator's novelty wore off by the end of 2012.

Wait...what's this?

A NEW ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Oh boy what could it be?

Planet Snoopy...ok...KD can do a Planet Snoopy thing...that's fine...

GP want new coaster though, so they're out of luck.

Attendance starts falling.

Cedar Fair thinks KD isn't a valuable asset.

Company stops putting money into park.

KD can't get big additions.

KD is doomed.

They did say "But wait there's more". Praying to God it's all trollbait.

"There's only so much we can put in one announcement". So, they were only given only 15 minutes to talk about next years addition, and to fit that time frame, they chose to omit a big new ride? C'mon now. This is what we get for 2017, inexpensive flat rides, again. Hurler will remain SBNO. There is no more.

But wait, there's still more!

OMG LARSON LOOP!

The only thing that would be more disappointing would be a used scrambler with an extremely tame ride cycle.

This made me laugh. Then I thought no it would be an improvement. Now I am depressed. Glad I did not wake up early to drive for this. Why no mention of Hurler at all ? It would have taken 30 seconds.

So.. should I lose all hope in this park and drive up to carowinds and bgw instead? Speaking of Carowinds how far is it from Richmond va and is it even worth the drive?

I understand that this isn't the time or the thread for rational thinking but personally KD might still be my favorite park in the chain after Cedar Point. I prefer it to Ki, Knotts, Carowinds, Dorney and Wonderland for sure. KI might have a better coaster lineup (debatable) but KD has much nicer atmosphere, great flats and a spectacular log flume.

Anyway go back to your relentless bitching.

So.. should I lose all hope in this park and drive up to carowinds and bgw instead? Speaking of Carowinds how far is it from Richmond va and is it even worth the drive?

I understand that this isn't the time or the thread for rational thinking but personally KD might still be my favorite park in the chain after Cedar Point. I prefer it to Ki, Knotts, Carowinds, Dorney and Wonderland for sure. KI might have a better coaster lineup (debatable) but KD has much nicer atmosphere, great flats and a spectacular log flume.

I have a really hard time of thinking what to add to KD's coaster lineup. It's easily one of the top in the chain.

As much as I am mad over the as-of-today misleading advertising. The expansion, while small, is going to improve the park in probably the smallest way possible. Any improvement is appreciated.

Something tells me that when this all dies down a bit and people are still sour, KD is gonna come out with the future of Hurler, which would break the internet in a good way and people would come flocking back praising the park and all of that. So, for now, I'm content and look forward to the future.

As much as I am mad over the as-of-today misleading advertising. The expansion, while small, is going to improve the park in probably the smallest way possible. Any improvement is appreciated.

Something tells me that when this all dies down a bit and people are still sour, KD is gonna come out with the future of Hurler, which would break the internet in a good way and people would come flocking back praising the park and all of that. So, for now, I'm content and look forward to the future.

Nope. They're going to re-open Hurler with zero re-tracking with a new name. Because that's what Cedar Shill always does.

The GP won't flock to anything to anything less than an RMC hurler . I simple GCI or in-house retrack won't do anything because it's still Hurler. When was the last time the ride was somewhat popular? I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement for Hurler getting scrapped.

I understand that this isn't the time or the thread for rational thinking but personally KD might still be my favorite park in the chain after Cedar Point. I prefer it to Ki, Knotts, Carowinds, Dorney and Wonderland for sure.

This is how I feel - still really grateful for one of the best Cedar Fair parks in my home state. I still think it's the second best in the chain behind CP. However, when you don't have a child and aren't into water parks, KD has really only added Windseeker and Delirium (both great rides) since Intimidator in 2010. For locals who go 5+ times a season the lineup is for sure getting a bit stale and a new coaster is definitely needed. Another 25 million dollar coaster? No, but definitely something at least on the scale of an RMC and/or Mystic Timbers pricetag.

Edited by Intimidator305

I have a really hard time of thinking what to add to KD's coaster lineup. It's easily one of the top in the chain.

Agree with your sentiment. Very lucky to live in a region with 3 parks. 3 very different parks. Although it would be great to have a new coaster, at least BGW have InvadR. SFA got Virtual Reality this year. Kind of new. Maybe PKD will fill in the blank for 2018.

I understand that this isn't the time or the thread for rational thinking but personally KD might still be my favorite park in the chain after Cedar Point. I prefer it to Ki, Knotts, Carowinds, Dorney and Wonderland for sure.

This is how I feel - still really grateful for one of the best Cedar Fair parks in my home state. I still think it's the second best in the chain behind CP. However, when you don't have a child and aren't into water parks, KD has really only added Windseeker and Delirium (both great rides) since Intimidator in 2010. For locals who go 5+ times a season the lineup is for sure getting a bit stale and a new coaster is definitely needed. Another 25 million dollar coaster? No, but definitely something at least on the scale of an RMC and/or Mystic Timbers pricetag.

You do realize that there are parks in the chain that have gone even longer without a new coaster. Forgive those fanbases for not showing any sympathy for your struggles.

The GP won't flock to anything to anything less than an RMC hurler . I simple GCI or in-house retrack won't do anything because it's still Hurler. When was the last time the ride was somewhat popular? I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement for Hurler getting scrapped.

And if Hurler gets scrapped, there will be people who rejoice, enthusiasts and 'GP' alike. Somebody is gonna be happy and somebody is gonna be mad, no matter what happens to Hurler. They could announce an RMC Hurler and somebody will say 'its not fast or tall or have enough loops'. Can't satisfiy everybody; and it seems that with this announcement, more people are unsatisfied than satifsied.