TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Well, construction logistics would dictate that a new, from scratch, major steel coaster is probably not the 2017 attraction for Kings Dominion. I305 construction started with land clearing and grading in early June. I don't see that happening for next year. Plus, if a major coaster was to replace Hurler in 2017, don't you think the existing ride would have been torn down by now?

It seems more reasonable to focus on Hurler getting a makeover. Who does the work and to what extent, remains to be seen. I would fathom that most of everyone's questions will be answered this Saturday.

My best guess is a Hurler makeover for 2017 as the main draw. There could be some secondary stuff thrown in for 2017.

Finish PTC Carousel restoration (maybe band organ restored and playing). 100th anniversary of this ride [1917-2017].

West end of Candy Apple Grove gets makeover. Finish replacing asphalt with brick pavers / new landscaping.

Maybe a addition of an golden oldie flat ride or two.

Action Theater gets something like what CGA or Carowinds received this year (Mass Effect or Plants vs. Zombies)

That's approximately what I think. RMC Hurler, Mass Effect, Candy Apple

Grove upgrades, and possibly that refurbished enterprise from Valleyfair.

Well, construction logistics would dictate that a new, from scratch, major steel coaster is probably not the 2017 attraction for Kings Dominion. I305 construction started with land clearing and grading in early June. I don't see that happening for next year. Plus, if a major coaster was to replace Hurler in 2017, don't you think the existing ride would have been torn down by now?

It seems more reasonable to focus on Hurler getting a makeover. Who does the work and to what extent, remains to be seen. I would fathom that most of everyone's questions will be answered this Saturday.

My best guess is a Hurler makeover for 2017 as the main draw. There could be some secondary stuff thrown in for 2017.

Finish PTC Carousel restoration (maybe band organ restored and playing). 100th anniversary of this ride [1917-2017].

West end of Candy Apple Grove gets makeover. Finish replacing asphalt with brick pavers / new landscaping.

Action Theater gets something like what CGA or Carowinds received this year (Mass Effect or Plants vs. Zombies)

That's really asking for a lot.

Not really. The RMC is the only expensive one. Adding Mass Effect, visual upgrades, and an old ride are relatively peanuts.

Not really. The RMC is the only expensive one. Adding Mass Effect, visual upgrades, and an old ride are relatively peanuts.

Mass effect is probably not as cheap as you think. And a park would never do all of that stuff in one year. That would be very overwhelming.

For what it's worth - KD hasn't really 'teased' before an announcement since 2009 with Intimidator 305 (2010) and 2012 for the bigger, better Planet Snoopy (2013). Yes, you could say this is a new era with the new GM and marketing folks, but I think whatever is in store is a fairly large capital investment. Also, like others have said since the announcement is taking place in the theater that's also more than the recent usual 'post it online' announcements.

I think it should also be pointed out that besides the 'Hurler area' there have been no hints in theming either like most teasers nowadays. Yes, Hurler's theme is about as generic as you can get, but even the announcement graphic was the generic KD graphic they always use. I'm hoping if it is indeed a new version of Hurler, we see a great new name and sprucing up of the whole area (such as the new County Fair at Carowinds, Gemini Midway at CP, and Boardwalk at Knott's).

121102034_ScreenShot2016-08-19at11_37_37AM.png.fc90468bba2f57a5526cb05e229c9d5e.png

Finally, odds keep getting better for KD too. No new coasters were announced yesterday (just an improved CGA Vortex) and Mystic Timbers is really cheap in comparison to the usual Cedar Fair headliner new coaster(s). Cedar Fair also said they were only adding WinterFest to 3 parks and all of those were announced yesterday (Carowinds, WOF, KI), so that means KD won't be spending money on hosting a whole new event.

In conclusion, put me in the category saying "this is more than just a refurbished enterprise". Less than 24 hours to go!

I really hope KD gets something good. Even if we don't get a coaster, it would be really cool to see some old flats come back to Candy Apple Grove. Maybe we could get the enterprise from Valleyfair and bring back the apple turnover. And I'm pretty sure we had a flight commander ride, and a sky roller is basically an updated version of that, so that would be awesome too!

Anyways, I know I've said this before, but I would absolutely LOVE if they connected the Hurler area to the waterpark. It's so inconvenient to walk all the way around half the park just to get from the waterpark to hurler. Especially when it is actually a really short distance away...

But even if they don't do that, I am hoping they will do SOMETHING with the hurler area. It really needs work and it's an embarrassment to have as part of Candy Apple Grove...

What's wrong with people hoping it's a B&M? They don't actually think for sure that it's a B&M, they just think that it would be great for the lineup.

No opinions allowed on this site.

You know better than that.

Just because you don't like someone's opinion of your opinion, you really can't say that no opinions are allowed here. That's just petty.

Anywho.......

It's funny, but the main reason I'd love to see RMC do their thing with Hurler is to see just what they are capable of doing with it. I, for one, have never enjoyed Hurler and really agree with others that the layout is kind of two scoops of lateral dullness.

Although I know some people hope for B&M flyer, hyper, what have you, signs just don't overall look that way.

Edited by jynx242

Too bad I'll be at Dorney tomorrow. I would love to be there for the announcement of what I hope is an RMC Hurler. Wouldn't be too surprised to NOT see it happen though. Regardless of what it could be, I'm excited.

Wasn't Dorney was supposed to get a GCI called Heavy Lumber sometime in the near future?

Too bad I'll be at Dorney tomorrow. I would love to be there for the announcement of what I hope is an RMC Hurler. Wouldn't be too surprised to NOT see it happen though. Regardless of what it could be, I'm excited.

Wasn't Dorney was supposed to get a GCI called Heavy Lumber sometime in the near future?

No. What the hell are you talking about this time?

No. What the hell are you talking about this time?

image.png.ce4b2f5c11c5eb251c39ed5a36f658a9.png

watermelon.gif.be67c405be01a4668ad3d18812bad0db.gif

What the hell. No. Even if they were supposed to get a Gci it definitely wouldn't have been called Heavy Lumber.

Dorney and KD threads are not the best place for that lol. Problem with these threads are alot of trolls. So when you mention a coaster called Heavy Lumber that no one has heard of they start screaming witch and burn them at the stake. Part of which makes these 2 threads hilarious

Dorney and KD threads are not the best place for that lol. Problem with these threads are alot of trolls. So when you mention a coaster called Heavy Lumber that no one has heard of they start screaming witch and burn them at the stake. Part of which makes these 2 threads hilarious

Or just write that Cedar Point is overrated and Mellimium Force is forceless (no pun intended) on that board.