TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I think some people are being too quick to dismiss the significance of the different day for KD's announcement... Parks, and the parent company behind those parks, don't just do things randomly, with no real rhyme, reason, or purpose. SIx Flags, for instance, goes with the model that they simply announce all of their parks' additions at the same time. Cedar Fair, on the other hand, has chosen to have each park announce their upcoming attractions separate from each other, at least in terms of the individual announcements. However, the fact that the majority of their parks are announcing their additions on the same day is no mere coincidence, but rather an intentional roll-out strategy. Take, for instance, that KI announced their 2017 addition first, and quite separate from this cluster of announcements today. Then they are going to announce something, no doubt on a smaller scale, today. CP announced the closing of Mean Streak separately, to give it its own weight, and press presence. Now, a bunch of CF parks are announcing together today, including what is anticipated to be a Soak City expansion (read: smaller scale) for CP.

All of that to say this... KD is announcing two days later, on their own. It is certainly not unreasonable, nor something to laugh at, or mock, to believe that the separate day for announcing is significant. Now, does it mean that RMC Hurler, or some other coaster addition is coming? It does not, and maybe CF has some other reason for announcing KD on a different day. That being said, it would make sense that if KD is getting a larger addition, a coaster of some sort (which I think almost HAS to be related to Hurler, if it is), they would announce it on a separate day, so it gets more coverage, and notice. This is not bizarre, absurd, or even the thought process of a hopeful coaster enthusiast. This is a well reasoned, and logical thought process, from a business standpoint, and trying to grab as much market notice as possible. I'm not sure why this notion was dismissed and castigated, honestly...

What do I think is coming to KD? Well, I've gone on record before as believing RMC is first working with CF here at KD next year. Just a hunch I have, from what I've seen, and what makes sense to me. Could I be wrong? Certainly! Will I be wrong? I guess we'll see in a few days! Also, I think people are reading too much into Snoopy's presence in the teasers so far... Snoopy is, in fact, a sort of mascot for the CF parks, and his name goes SO well with the concept of "snooping", which is what he is doing in all of the teasers. Would it make more sense to have some shadowy (or not-shadowy) park executive or ride operator snooping around, since it's going to be an adult addition, and not a Planet Snoopy addition? I don't think Snoopy doing the snooping has anything to do with whether it's a Planet Snoopy addition or not. Rather, it's simply a fun marketing strategy for hyping this new addition - a new addition that they also felt the need to announce on a separate day from the majority of other parks. Sure, all of this could be coincidence, and wishful thinking on the part of the KD faithful (which doesn't include me, since I haven't been to the park since 14 years ago), but it also could be indicative of this KD addition being more than just your average, run of the mill Flats package, water park addition, or kiddie attraction. It has certainly become the announcement I'm most curious about, simply because of its teasing campaign, and having its own designated day.

All of that to say this... KD is announcing two days later, on their own. It is certainly not unreasonable, nor something to laugh at, or mock, to believe that the separate day for announcing is significant.

Knotts soak city announced on their own . . .

All of that to say this... KD is announcing two days later, on their own. It is certainly not unreasonable, nor something to laugh at, or mock, to believe that the separate day for announcing is significant.

Knotts soak city announced on their own . . .

I knew somebody would try and point that out! It doesn't change what I'm saying one iota though. We also knew what Knott's was doing some time ago, so it wasn't really much of an announcement, only a verification and full reveal.

Still . . . They announced it on their on. Regardless if we knew because someone went looking for it. Kd announced hurler was gonna be down for extensive renovation earlier. I personally feel it's not like six flags when every park announces on the same day. Some parks picked a day when summer is winding down and attention is shifting from the parks. I know Carowinds generally does Thursdays so it can be fresh news on Friday and thru the weekend. Is every cedar fair park. minus kd and the ones who have made their announcement, announcing today?

^ I think you could be onto something there as well! It would make sense to announce it at that event, and then announce it to the public after that.

And let me clarify my previous point: I am not saying KD definitely is announcing separate from the rest because they're getting something bigger. I'm just saying that is not an unreasonable thought process, and it could very well be at least a part of the reasoning. I guess we'll see in a few days!

Going briefly back to the subject of a Hyper at KD, I think it would be a great addition to the park. As long as it's more along the lines of Fury than I232. As for location, I could see it taking Dino's old spot and wrapping around Grizzly. But I think that RMC Hurler will be announced on Saturday. Anyone else think that Grizzly could benefit from a GCI redo similar to Ghostrider?

How about some info on Haunt for a change?

The Not-So-Sweet 16th Season of Halloween Haunt Features New Mazes and Shows

Terror lurks around every corner of Kings Dominion’s Halloween Haunt

Doswell, VA— The creatures from your worst nightmares have made their way back to the midways of Kings Dominion for the not-so-sweet 16th season of Halloween Haunt. The frightful fun kicks off on Friday, September 30. Guests who are brave enough can enjoy nine mazes, six scare zones plus several live shows. If that isn’t enough fun, get your thrill fix on more than 20 rides, including Intimidator™ 305 and the all-new Delirium, as fog and darkness blanket the park.

The horrors grow to epic proportions at Halloween Haunt as Kings Dominion introduces two brand new mazes and two all-new shows:

Trick-or-Treat

It’s always Halloween on Hemlock Lane. The story picks up where the Fairy Tales ended - this clan of distraught witches were given a new start in this very special halfway house for wayward souls. Throughout the years the residents have worked to make their new home a welcoming place for their next victims. It’s time to find out if a treat is in your future or if it’s all just an evil trick.

Blackout

Are you frightened of the monster that lurks under your bed? Do you ever have the feeling that something bad is about to happen? Are you worried that there is a boogie man in the closet? The things that go bump in the night are waiting for you in this darkness filled realm of nightmares. Will anyone be there to hear you scream? What you can’t see might hurt you…and in this case it will!

The Bone Collectors

Get a taste of the French Quarter with our New Orleans-inspired brass band. The Bone Collectors are leading our last rites in this unique ceremony for the newly departed. Presented nightly on the Grande Bandstand, we will also have special appearances throughout the park.

The Overlord’s Resurrection

The Overlord is back and spookier than ever in this new rendition of his resurrection that is sure to send shivers down your spine! Each evening as the clock strikes 7:00, he will summon his minions from the shadows and unleash them into the night to terrorize the most unsuspecting guests. Presented nightly at the Grande Bandstand on International Street.

Test your limits and experience fear beyond your worst nightmares with several new Skeleton Key experiences! In this test of ultimate bravery, guests can unlock an exclusive room located within five of our scare zones where they will come face to face with terror in tight spaces, uncomfortable situations and unforgettable dark encounters. These rooms are designed to test the boundaries of their worst fears. Skeleton Key is exclusive to Fright Lane, which can be purchased online.

Monsters descend upon the park each night of Haunt at 7 p.m. during the Overlord’s Resurrection as he calls forth all of his minions and sends them out into the night.

Halloween Haunt attractions operate every Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights from September 30th through October 30. Guests can get the most up-to-date hours of operation by visiting http://www.kingsdominion.com/haunt. Haunt is included with park admission.

This whole SnoopinAround thing really does make me think that it might have something to do with planet snoopy rather than Hurler

RMC Woodstock express ? Hahaha lol jk jk

That would be the greatest announcement ever.

Going briefly back to the subject of a Hyper at KD, I think it would be a great addition to the park. As long as it's more along the lines of Fury than I232. As for location, I could see it taking Dino's old spot and wrapping around Grizzly. But I think that RMC Hurler will be announced on Saturday. Anyone else think that Grizzly could benefit from a GCI redo similar to Ghostrider?

Count me in. Redo the flat turn arounds into overbank turns and a little smoothy and the ride would be perfect.

^How about the fact that literally not a single crumb of a credible rumor has pointed towards a hyper. The only people saying that a hyper is a possibility are saying "because its the gap in KD's lineup." Do I think a hyper would be cool? Sure! Is there any evidence (at all) that points in that direction? Absolutely not.

On the other hand, we have a wooden coaster closed for an entire season that's being teased for 2017, and somehow that equates to "OMG guyz hyper4 2017!!11" It genuinely makes no sense.

Okay to anybody saying a hyper would have created more hype before the announcement... Look at Dominator and I305. Dominator was just randomly announced and we didn't know about I305 until track started showing up.

no way. even before track started showing up, there were lots of rumors of a large coaster being added to KD. Also a lot of land clearing, and other signs. This is NOTHING like that.

Everybody here could be wrong it could end up being winterfest and a new show, But guessing is what's fun it doesn't have to be logical all the time.

Guessing is fun until someone like madax starts going after everyone who points out his obvious BS and logical fallacies.

I'm not saying it is a hyper. I don't actually think it will be (I wish it was but ya know...) I'm just saying that saying there would be more hype is not good reasoning as KD rarely ever hypes anything up.

Okay to anybody saying a hyper would have created more hype before the announcement... Look at Dominator and I305. Dominator was just randomly announced and we didn't know about I305 until track started showing up.

no way. even before track started showing up, there were lots of rumors of a large coaster being added to KD. Also a lot of land clearing, and other signs. This is NOTHING like that.

Well. There's land clearing near I305. And there definitely are a lot of rumors. As I said before, I don't even think a hyper is coming. But I'm just saying.

Well, they certainly seen to be hyping things a bit this year. If you guys don't typically see that, maybe it does "mean" something. What it DOES NOT mean, is that there is a Hyper coming in 2017, because there's absolutely ZERO reason to think that. If it is indeed RMC Hurler, that will more than adequately fill any alleged "gaps" in the park's lineup...

Well, they certainly seen to be hyping things a bit this year. If you guys don't typically see that, maybe it does "mean" something. What it DOES NOT mean, is that there is a Hyper coming in 2017, because there's absolutely ZERO reason to think that. If it is indeed RMC Hurler, that will more than adequately fill any alleged "gaps" in the park's lineup...

Edited by TB305

Just in case:

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

I may be burned at the stake for saying this but I hope they don't RMC Hurler. I've had a change of heart. Seriously, since that mysterious green B&M is still up for grabs, I'd like to see it brought to KD. Just tear down Hurler and put the B&M there. Hopefully it's a launch wing coaster. Now for my reason...I don't want Cedar Fair to do the Six Flags thing. Convert wooden coasters to Hybrids. I'd rather CF just bring in RMC and build coasters from the ground up like Silver Dollar City and Dollywood did. I'm very much thinking this is what Cedar Point is going to do in Mean Streak's spot...So really...I'd prefer Cedar Point to get the first RMC in the CF chain. But if I'm wrong, it's not a big deal...I'll still ride that RMC'd Hurler with a smile on my face.

I may be burned at the stake for saying this but I hope they don't RMC Hurler. I've had a change of heart. Seriously, since that mysterious green B&M is still up for grabs, I'd like to see it brought to KD. Just tear down Hurler and put the B&M there. Hopefully it's a launch wing coaster. Now for my reason...I don't want Cedar Fair to do the Six Flags thing. Convert wooden coasters to Hybrids. I'd rather CF just bring in RMC and build coasters from the ground up like Silver Dollar City and Dollywood did. I'm very much thinking this is what Cedar Point is going to do in Mean Streak's spot...So really...I'd prefer Cedar Point to get the first RMC in the CF chain. But if I'm wrong, it's not a big deal...I'll still ride that RMC'd Hurler with a smile on my face.

Probably will be an RMC.

Here's another thought...Is Cedar Fair through with Triotech? Not one dark ride or Interactive experience announced today. I was expecting something like that but no. Canada's Wonderland already has a Triotech. MiA would be an almost impossibility. This leaves only KD...And they've been teasing the hell out of Hurler...so I'm thinking 2 years without Triotech, maybe Cedar Fair wasn't that happy with them after all.