TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Hurler offers less stuff there for a layout conversion, there's surely times the RMC designs just cut down the original height of the track section, vs. the same elements would require adding height to Hurler. It seems a square peg in a round hole. What I've suggested (and suggested...) is that there's very little that needs work outside of the first 2 big curves, and there used to be a video on RMC's site that showed a coaster with Topper track on one curve only and camera shaking dropped noticably there. That would be fairly cheap (and actually, with the simplicity of the shapes, could certainly be done several ways by other companies or maybe even in-house). Take it even further, maybe I-Box those turns, do a lot of other work, put on much better trains and you could have the smoothest coaster in the park. That might seem "neutered" but it sure would be different!

I thought it was a fun ride. Different coasters do different things, its design kept the speed up, you can't do that and soar on big hills at the same time. Those are different than this, this is different from those. You could claim it's a cheap ride compared to the towering kind, it kind of was, but it's a little ingenious too.

Replacing it with a new coaster could be great, but frankly replacing another coaster with a flat ride would be such a slap in the face they'd be better leaving it SNBO.

Be careful! Or you will be criticized for your "Ridiculous speculation"!

Trying to interpret actual hints when the park is openly teasing something is much different than spewing random crap just because you want the park to get something and it fit properly when you tried it in Rollercoaster Tycoon. Nobody is going to go after this post. If you get called out for ridiculous speculation it's because it's ridiculous.

Relax, it's just a joke.

I've heard there was survey markers around hurler.. Can anyone confirm this?

Saw some posts on Instagram with white markers on the asphalt around Hurler, whether or not they're for anything important, time will tell.

In all honesty, I couldn't see Hurler being RMC'd simply because the layout just wouldn't provide enough for them to work with. My home park is Kentucky Kingdom and the Thunder Run woodie is literally identical to Hurler, yet after riding it about 10 times in one day I don't really know what RMC could do with Hurler. Now, RMC did come in and retrack Thunder Run before it reopened in 2014, so maybe RMC may be coming in and retracking it, but I don't see how they could do a full on Topper Track/I-Box treatment to the coaster. There's really just not enough on the layout for them to make something out of it.

In all honesty, I couldn't see Hurler being RMC'd simply because the layout just wouldn't provide enough for them to work with. My home park is Kentucky Kingdom and the Thunder Run woodie is literally identical to Hurler, yet after riding it about 10 times in one day I don't really know what RMC could do with Hurler. Now, RMC did come in and retrack Thunder Run before it reopened in 2014, so maybe RMC may be coming in and retracking it, but I don't see how they could do a full on Topper Track/I-Box treatment to the coaster. There's really just not enough on the layout for them to make something out of it.

KD already hinted that they were going to replace Hurler so retracking it goes out the window.

I think the notion that Hurler can't be turned into an RMC is BS.

I mean, nobody is going to argue with you on that...

The Hurlers have a completely useless design from the beginning. Four straight lines connected with a couple right turns. RMC could make a better ride out of it utilizing those straight lines (ie 0g stalls and better airtime). The point is, the layout couldn't be turned into something twisty/interesting with the current support structure.

It's been a few days since I've been on the thread because of my trip, so I didn't get to talk about my second day. It basically consisted of 4x Volcano during early entry, Avalanche, 2x I305, 2x Anaconda, and we finished with Shenandoah Lumber Co. since there wasn't enough time on the first day. It was a huge surprise in the trip, because it's an excellent flume that doesn't get mentioned that much.

I mean, El Toro is just two long-ass lines of hills ending with a tiny little twister section, right?

But GCI have a lot of twitiez, and so they're the most exciting wooden coasters, right?

Im gonna quote myself . . .

Is it me but would an RMC hurler be kinda pointless? All hurler does is turn right with some hills in between. There is no directional change, the entire coaster barely goes back over 30ft after the first drop, and it has one of the most uninspired layouts. If you look, most rmc iron horse coasters have a somewhat twisted layout to begin with. I just don't see an RMC hurler . . .

Yes, El Toro is what you described, however, it has height variation as do the GCI coasters like roar. I'm not saying they couldn't iron horse hurler. I'm saying, in my opinion, it would be pointless to do that when a better layout could come from a brand new coaster. It's only so high then can extend the lift and I feel to make it feel different. A major overhaul of the layout would probably need to be done, in my opinion.

The GCI retracking Carowinds did created a very smooth front seat experience for hurler. Unfortunately the trim at the bottom of the first drop killed the entire ride to the point of little to no airtime on any hill.

I mean, El Toro is just two long-ass lines of hills ending with a tiny little twister section, right?

But GCIs have a lot of twitiez, and so they're the most exciting wooden coasters, right?

Im gonna quote myself . . .

Is it me but would an RMC hurler be kinda pointless? All hurler does is turn right with some hills in between. There is no directional change, the entire coaster barely goes back over 30ft after the first drop, and it has one of the most uninspired layouts. If you look, most rmc iron horse coasters have a somewhat twisted layout to begin with. I just don't see an RMC hurler . . .

Yes, El Toro is what you described, however, it has height variation as do the GCI coasters like roar. I'm not saying they couldn't iron horse hurler. I'm saying, in my opinion, it would be pointless to do that when a better layout could come from a brand new coaster. It's only so high then can extend the lift and I feel to make it feel different. A major overhaul of the layout would probably need to be done, in my opinion.

The GCI retracking Carowinds did created a very smooth front seat experience for hurler. Unfortunately the trim at the bottom of the first drop killed the entire ride to the point of little to no airtime on any hill.

I understood what you meant. But the principle of a conversion was not what I was referring to. I was referring to the basic layout of the ride as is - just how you described it.

That being said, I found it naive to judge a coaster like so. I guess where we differ is I don't find Hurler's layout "pointless" simply because of the geometry of it. understand where you're coming from. It would be difficult to RMC it because it lacks structure. In the case of a conversion, I too would see it pointless. But as is, it doesn't have to be thought of as an uninspired ride in its current state.

Take a look at the old NE Cyclone's layout. Then take a look at Wicked Cyclone.

No it wouldn't be pointless.

You mean this layout?

[attachment=0]Screen shot 2014-08-07 at 9.28.13 PM.png[/attachment]

That has height variation and does more than make right turns? In my opinion, RMC would meet their biggest challenge with hurler as most of their conversions had a layout with character and depth to begin with. We will see . . .

You're right. It makes right turns AND left turns!

That being said, I found it naive to judge a coaster like so. I guess where we differ is I don't find Hurler's layout "pointless" simply because of the geometry of it. understand where you're coming from. It would be difficult to RMC it because it lacks structure. In the case of a conversion, I too would see it pointless. But as is, it doesn't have to be thought of as an uninspired ride in its current state.

I never said hurlers layout was pointless. I said it has an uninspiring layout (when considering it for a conversion in my opinion) and that's OK because lots of good coasters have basic layouts. I said, I feel a RMC conversion would be, in my opinion, pointless. And we seem to agree. If history proves itself, RMC generally adds height to the lift, lowers the elements and shortens the coaster with conversions. That seems that it would be a challenge and it would probably be best to build from ground up.

KD is my home park, so I was inspired to join and have fun with this. I thought of a few different layouts in a short time, but went with this for max thrills. I actually like Hurler. It was different than most wooden coasters, but whatever happens is cool.

Edit: Totally forgot about the Top Gun Stall ... so that could replace an airtime hill.

carousel-of-imagination-by-kevin-foster-kings-dominion-hurler-rmc.thumb.jpg.7ffdfddb25b5f5d60e73a77b538a035c.jpg

Aerial concept of a RMC'd Hurler using existing foundations and structure.

Edited by Carousel Imagination

You guys realize that RMC never uses the exact layout of the old ride, right? They greatly modify the shape. I can see them adding a bit of track to this. So basically...

105 ft tall

Dive over drop

2 more inversions

55 MPH

3000-3500 ft