TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

i still think that's not a reason for you to be a dick about it.

Oh god lighten up and relax a little. I have no idea how old you are but if you're over 21 go have a drink or 12.

eh, you were the one typing in all caps and extra large letters. i was merely saying i disagree. you got all "YOU PEOPLE" up in here.

i'm currently sipping a Palo Santo Marron. more of a winter beer, really, but quite tasty any time of year. again, just my opinion.

Oh sure, that I'll give you. But if I get the choice (as posed) between an Hurler-sized Goliath or a brand new ride, I'd almost definitely choose the new ride. Especially if that ride is an RMC. Especially especially if we can get that giant moonshine stand from the CP thread.

I totally just pulled that idea out of my ass (let's face it, every park needs a giant moonshine stand) but I'm so happy it's already gained some traction here.

CP if you're reading - and I know you are - take note! The streets is hungry for giant moonshine stands.

I have a bold prediction to make:

Hurler will not only stay closed in 2017, but will be RMC'd in 2018 with an extended layout to interact with Grizzly. This is a huge possibility with Iron Mean Streak a reality in 2017.

The one huge asset of an Iron Hurler is that it can be secluded in the woods, adding on to an already incredible ride.

i still think that's not a reason for you to be a dick about it.

Oh god lighten up and relax a little. I have no idea how old you are but if you're over 21 go have a drink or 12.

eh, you were the one typing in all caps and extra large letters. i was merely saying i disagree. you got all "YOU PEOPLE" up in here.

i'm currently sipping a Palo Santo Marron. more of a winter beer, really, but quite tasty any time of year. again, just my opinion.

I started writing a long response about how I at no point insulted anyone or typed in all caps as you implied (not that it would matter if I did) and why you shouldn't be offended but then I realized that if you were offended by something I said that was entirely non confrontational then I really can't help you anyway.

Carry on. I should have known better than to come into this dumpster fire of a thread.

Bill seems to feel as strongly about the flume as I do about the rapids next door - now that's a good rapids ride.

Meh...I think that this one is pretty lame compared to Thunder Canyon at CP or Dorney, Roman Rapids, or (of course) Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges.

I have always enjoyed the interactive concept of these rides because you almost always ride with strangers. When you get splashed in the rapids section and someone laughs at you and talks smack and then gets the REAL waterfalls dumped on them at the end...that's when it's just a riot.

The past couple of rides we took on KD's rapids ride, it seemed like they had any waterfalls turned off despite it being like 90 degrees. One or two people got splashed hitting the small rapids and that was about it. I think I may have had a few minuscule amounts of water splashed on my shirt and I was actually ready to get wet.

Popeye's is just in a league of its own. Absolutely amazing. Thunder Canyon is also great, but I actually don't like Roman Rapids much at all. One long line of waterfalls only soaking two people is such a lame way to end a ride!

When you rode Kings Dominion's, were the geysers not on? The waterfalls at the end are hit-or-miss (seems to depend on the season), but I've never ridden it in the summer without the geysers - including last weekend.

Can we douse the flames of this thread with said geysers?

But honestly, they didn't have the geysers on during our visit for whatever reason.

Of course replacing a coaster with a great new one is always preferable to a basic rebuild -- BUT it's not comparable, they're different categories. The better RMC conversions have blurred the line between new and rebuilt, but so does the price tag. Best part: you get a RMC.

Personally, it would still add to my 2017 experience to see Hurler back into condition at least as good as before 2010, that is, without the trim brake and in better shape than it is in now. I think it could be better than that without layout changes. Sure it's simple but speed-curves-airtime is sometimes enough if it doesn't hurt. And the thing's got to be a lot easier to retrack than a twisty GCI ... and it would last a lot longer with better trains... but yeah RMC Hurler seems would be either restrictive or expensive, just doesn't work.

As to new ride announcements, I don't think they're due yet but what about the announcement of the announcement?

KD is definitely due for a new coaster. It's been 6-7 years, which is odd for that park. ^^

Hurler's layout isn't that bad to me. It was a pretty good ride the first few years it was open before it was trimmed and rough. I don't see it happening, but RMC could make a pretty good ride out of what's there. It will probably just end up being retracted or removed. Either way...PUT GRIZZLY'S TREES BACK!!!!!!

KD is definitely due for a new coaster. It's been 6-7 years, which is odd for that park. ^^

Hurler's layout isn't that bad to me. It was a pretty good ride the first few years it was open before it was trimmed and rough. I don't see it happening, but RMC could make a pretty good ride out of what's there. It will probably just end up being retracted or removed. Either way...PUT GRIZZLY'S TREES BACK!!!!!!

I personally feel like there are other parks in the CF chain that are in need of a new coaster more than KD.

KD is definitely due for a new coaster. It's been 6-7 years, which is odd for that park.

I personally feel like there are other parks in the CF chain that are in need of a new coaster more than KD.

These statements are both true, and not mutually exclusive! For the market it's in, and the size of the park, I am surprised KD has been pushed to the backburner coaster-wise as much as it has. But yes, Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park, Valleyfair, and especially Michigan's Adventure, all are much more "in need" of a new coaster than KD.

Count me in as somebody who still thinks we're going to see Hurler RMC'd, and also somebody who believes that there is NO layout on a wooden coaster so bad, that it couldn't be made better by RMC! To me, KD seems like the perfect "tester" park for CF's first RMC - though I believe their second is already planned, and will follow along a year later at CP!

KD is definitely due for a new coaster. It's been 6-7 years, which is odd for that park.

These statements are both true, and not mutually exclusive! For the market it's in, and the size of the park, I am surprised KD has been pushed to the backburner coaster-wise as much as it has. But yes, Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park, Valleyfair, and especially Michigan's Adventure, all are much more "in need" of a new coaster than KD.

Count me in as somebody who still thinks we're going to see Hurler RMC'd, and also somebody who believes that there is NO layout on a wooden coaster so bad, that it couldn't be made better by RMC! To me, KD seems like the perfect "tester" park for CF's first RMC - though I believe their second is already planned, and will follow along a year later at CP!

Yeah I think Hurler will be RMC'd as well because of the woody terrain it's near and the fact that it's a perfect fit at the park. Not sure if it will come in 2017 or 2018 but something to keep in mind.

Didn't RMC say that there to busy to modify existing coasters and want to focus on ground up coasters?

I've heard that they stopped retracking rides, and are focusing on Iron Horsing and building new rides. I don't think they would stop making their most successful product.

It should also be noted that I have not seen where RMC released this info, it just came about on these forums. So it could be inaccurate.

Ugh all this talk about RMCing hurler. I know this isn't going to happen, but all I really want KD to do is tear down hurler and add in a B&M hyper that will go over to Big Wave Bay and back. Along with planting a row or two of trees next to grizzly. The hurler/ricochet area is one of the worst sections of the park! It's so BAD!!! They could restore that area and (as Coaster Studios once said) also add in another entrance to soak city. Fixing 2 of the 3 major dead ends in the park. This is just a unrealistic dream of mine, but don't you guys think it would be a really good fit for the park? It wouldn't even interfere with Old Virginia! (Oh and also add another entrance to the grizzly/Dinos alive area that goes around Windseeker and the Skyflier. Please...)

(as Coaster Studios once said)

^ Sorry I read this and everything else you said just got drowned out after.

Why does everyone dislike his channel so much?

I think for most people its probably mostly because he states things as facts when he obviously is just taking guesses and speculating.

For me personally its that, but mostly because his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I love his channel

I love his channel

Because hes a kid that half the time makes no sense. He looks at maps and grades them on park layout. He looks at a parks stats and grades them without ever visiting them.

I love his channel

Because hes a kid that half the time makes no sense. He looks at maps and grades them on park layout. He looks at a parks stats and grades them without ever visiting them.

He doesn't do that anymore.

they should tear down Hurler and build some Windseeker themed toilets there.

they could market it as a new attraction: "Poopin by Air"

(and it would STILL be a better attraction than the version in BGW down the street)