TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I've never ridden the flume at KD, is it really that good?

It's my personal favorite actually. I guess there's nothing about it that single handedly makes it amazing but it's almost all back in the woods, floats along most of the way (which I prefer to the higher speed flumes that sort of bang along the trough) and gets you wet but never soaked. The setting is the biggest selling point though. It's so good that on our first visit this year when it was 38 degrees we rode it while waiting for it to get warm enough to run the coasters.

Because rapids rides are stupid.

... lol in all seriousness to each his own but I hate them. Flumes get you moderately wet from the top down (where you want to get wet). Rapids rides get the lower half of you wet which nobody likes including shoes and socks which in many parks must be worn and (barring any waterfalls) leave the top half of you dry. The alternative is that they can dump you under a waterfall which absolutely nobody likes since you're usually wearing your sneakers and soak you to the bone to the point where you might as well jump in a lake with your clothes, socks and shoes on. The only time they're fun is if you're allowed to wear a bathing suit on then or if the theming is so ridiculously good that you're willing to put up the the crappy rapids ride just to experience it.

Edited by coasterbill

They all seem like really great attractions in general to me, essential on a hot day and some of the most 'all ages' kind of fun there is.

^ Yeah they do get you soaked, but a 90+ degree day and a fast coaster afterwards usually dries me off. Wouldn't ride one in the 70's or lower.

Edited by Fooz

Anyone know if the Flight of Fear's trains are different than the Joker's Jynkx'? I rode both this week and FOF seemed uncomfortable, like I was too tall to fit.

The rubber padding on the lapbar is definitely smaller on Joker's Jinx so you should be fine. I'm 6'5" and always have a bear of a time getting Flight of Fear's restraints over my kneesn(enough that I don't even bother anymore with Jinx being 30 mins away from me).

What rides have shorter lines around the afternoon/evening? I'd guess that would be the rides near the front of the park like a lot of places. Also, the next day we're getting on Volcano and Flight of Fear for early entry. Should I complete the whole left side of the park, and if so, what areas/rides should I go to next? I'm pretty sure the flat rides in the back-middle next would be the best strategy, but I'm just checking to see if there could be improvements.

Well it looks like Cedar Point stole Kings Dominion's old woodie removal. Maybe next year

Nah, Hurler can still be torn the hell down. It wouldn't surprise me at all with zero work being done even at this point and rumors that they don't know what to do with it.

Bill seems to feel as strongly about the flume as I do about the rapids next door - now that's a good rapids ride.

Meh...I think that this one is pretty lame compared to Thunder Canyon at CP or Dorney, Roman Rapids, or (of course) Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges.

I have always enjoyed the interactive concept of these rides because you almost always ride with strangers. When you get splashed in the rapids section and someone laughs at you and talks smack and then gets the REAL waterfalls dumped on them at the end...that's when it's just a riot.

The past couple of rides we took on KD's rapids ride, it seemed like they had any waterfalls turned off despite it being like 90 degrees. One or two people got splashed hitting the small rapids and that was about it. I think I may have had a few minuscule amounts of water splashed on my shirt and I was actually ready to get wet.

For what it's worth, I wear my worn-in comfy sandals, microfiber shorts and shirts on a hot day to parks just so I can ride the rapids rides and don't have to worry about nasty wet sneakers, socks or denim....or having to pay for a fluffy bunny.

It is very tame yeah, the strength of that ride is that it's in the woodsiest, shadiest, and most isolated part of the park. It's nice to ride that type of ride through the woods.

When I've been on it though, they had a series of water jets that 100% soaked everyone at the end.

Bill seems to feel as strongly about the flume as I do about the rapids next door - now that's a good rapids ride.

Meh...I think that this one is pretty lame compared to Thunder Canyon at CP or Dorney, Roman Rapids, or (of course) Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges.

I have always enjoyed the interactive concept of these rides because you almost always ride with strangers. When you get splashed in the rapids section and someone laughs at you and talks smack and then gets the REAL waterfalls dumped on them at the end...that's when it's just a riot.

The past couple of rides we took on KD's rapids ride, it seemed like they had any waterfalls turned off despite it being like 90 degrees. One or two people got splashed hitting the small rapids and that was about it. I think I may have had a few minuscule amounts of water splashed on my shirt and I was actually ready to get wet.

Popeye's is just in a league of its own. Absolutely amazing. Thunder Canyon is also great, but I actually don't like Roman Rapids much at all. One long line of waterfalls only soaking two people is such a lame way to end a ride!

When you rode Kings Dominion's, were the geysers not on? The waterfalls at the end are hit-or-miss (seems to depend on the season), but I've never ridden it in the summer without the geysers - including last weekend.

Edited by coasterfreak101

It is very tame yeah, the strength of that ride is that it's in the woodsiest, shadiest, and most isolated part of the park. It's nice to ride that type of ride through the woods.

This is why I like the flume. It's beautiful back there. I hope they never touch that area around the antique cars, Grizzly and water rides. I know it's probably good expansion space for a coaster but that area really sets Kings Dominion apart and stands in stark contrast to their terrible, shade-less, concrete hell hole competitor in Maryland.

This is why I like the flume. It's beautiful back there. I hope they never touch that area around the antique cars, Grizzly and water rides. I know it's probably good expansion space for a coaster but that area really sets Kings Dominion apart and stands in stark contrast to their terrible, shade-less, concrete hell hole competitor in Maryland.

I agree with this, too. If anything, Kings Dominion needs more nice areas with shade trees.