TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

So I'm surprised no one is talking about the pictures released from the B&M plant here. Googling "X-Works" brings up Kings Dominion. I'm not familiar with the park, as I've never been, but has there been any discussion of a new coaster coming in 2017? Is there any land clearing going on?

has there been any discussion of a new coaster coming in 2017? Is there any land clearing going on?

There's been a lot of incessant bitching about how the park is "due" for a new coaster or some crap but no actual signs of them getting one or meaningful discussion.

has there been any discussion of a new coaster coming in 2017? Is there any land clearing going on?

There's been a lot of incessant bitching about how the park is "due" for a new coaster or some crap but no actual signs of them getting one or meaningful discussion.

Well that's SOMETHING...

So I'm surprised no one is talking about the pictures released from the B&M plant here. Googling "X-Works" brings up Kings Dominion. I'm not familiar with the park, as I've never been, but has there been any discussion of a new coaster coming in 2017? Is there any land clearing going on?

There is land clearing behind Intimidator 305, plus Hurler just rotting away.

There is land clearing behind Intimidator 305

Yeah, for fireworks. They haven't touched it in about a month.

The fireworks thing was debunked, was it not? They didn't come out even close to Safari Village.

Maybe (that was just the prevailing rumor), but they still haven't done any visible work near the clearing for about a month and it's in a really stupid place for a new ride.

Still X-Works popping up for Kings Dominion is very interesting.

I was just at KD yesterday. Night rides on Grizzly are great. About the land clearing, nothing has been touched there for a while now, so I don't know why it is being seen as something serious. Someone posted a while back that they were taking grass from there to use for Delirium. Hurler update: Nothing new.

Are we sure that bulldozer hasn't moved? It's casting a slightly different shadow. Maybe that could be a teaser! The shadow is symbolic of the dark times at King's Dominion without a new rollercoaster. The repositioning of the dozer is symbolic of the rising hope of new construction. Lastly, the machine itself... the yellow machine of destruction is there to tear down the hopes of KD fanboys thinking that they will receive a new ride in the future. Enjoy your new plot of dirt and maybe a show for 2017. At least the mushrooms are still singing.

Maybe (that was just the prevailing rumor), but they still haven't done any visible work near the clearing for about a month and it's in a really stupid place for a new ride.

Still X-Works popping up for Kings Dominion is very interesting.

1) I Googled X-Works. It did not bring up King's Dominion.

2) They've been using "X-Works" on new B&M's forever. Here they thought it meant Silverwood (in 2009). Here they thought "X-Works" meant it was a dueling dragons clone (in 2010). Tons of new B&M's say "X-Works" and despite the fact that it means nothing of interest, enthusiasts still think it's a clue.

3) You're not getting sh*t.

I find it funny how nobody even wants a coaster here while on other boards everyone believes any hint presented.

It's not that nobody wants a coaster. I would like to see it as it is close for me. The truth is KD has just been stagnant since the I305 fiasco and likely has not yet seen much in the way of ROI. Cedar Fair's "Southeast Region" sees more potential in Charlotte than Richmond (and reasonably so) so for the time being KD is simply maintaining while money is getting pumped into parks and attractions that will bring in money.

Tl:dr - The truth is I305 put an end to the KD glory days, for better or worse.

I find it funny how nobody even wants a coaster here while on other boards everyone believes any hint presented.

It's not that nobody wants a coaster. I would like to see it as it is close for me. The truth is KD has just been stagnant since the I305 fiasco and likely has not yet seen much in the way of ROI. Cedar Fair's "Southeast Region" sees more potential in Charlotte than Richmond (and reasonably so) so for the time being KD is simply maintaining while money is getting pumped into parks and attractions that will bring in money.

Tl:dr - The truth is I305 put an end to the KD glory days, for better or worse.

Absolutely, this statement is spot on. King's Dominion will get new coasters in the future (It won't get the Dorney treatment). But don't expect ever to see anything on the scale of I305 ever again.

I'll say it again, fireworks are not launched anywhere near that area. They are launched behind the waterpark.

I made a post on the matter earlier, and you can find it.

-I305 employee

Cedar Fair's "Southeast Region" got better tax cuts in Charlotte than Richmond (and reasonably so) so for the time being KD is simply maintaining while money is getting pumped into parks and attractions that will bring in money.

FTFY

I'll say it again, fireworks are not launched anywhere near that area. They are launched behind the waterpark.

I made a post on the matter earlier, and you can find it.

I came across that post and sort of backed off the fireworks thing in my next post. It was just the prevailing rumor for a long time. But since everyone is saying they haven't done any visible work in the area in a month it still doesn't seem relevant to a discussion about a major 2017 expansion.

If KD isn't going to add anything for 2017 then can they at least make an effort to make Hurler smooth and add Millennium Flyer trains? And don't defend the coaster right now: it does need new trains in the worst way possible.

Edited by madmax

There's been NO "bitching" about a new coaster here, there's been enthusiastic speculation and discussion and some head-scratching.

If you say I305 hasn't been a good investment, you didn't take a good look at the crowds in 2009. In June 2009, the place was DEAD. So empty I went past enjoying the free riding and started finding it eerie and worrysome. On the other hand, as soon as they announced the coaster, oddly enough attendance shot up the next day and was up the rest of the year. There never was a huge surge, but every day the park's at-least healthy crowds are partially due to that coaster. The classic relationship between KD and BGW was that BGW had better atmosphere and KD a better and certainly larger coaster collection. KD was starting to lose even that advantage, but with Dominator and I305 gained it back, to the extent that's possible, and they've been working on the rest. I have wondered if there's been some reduction of crowds this year, however.

It should have been obvious that I305 was meant to hold the park on coasters for a while, and sure is by now. But there is a question of how long? I think they're stretching some older coasters as long as possible but once they start getting replaced, it could be at the rate of one every 2 years for most of a decade.

As to the park being well-rounded, I see one glaring hole. In 2010, after putting a trim on Hurler, they billed it as a "mild family ride", which it might have actually qualified as for a short time, but still not a very good one. Anyway, that's the category they're weakest in. Not my favorite category but I still could benefit from a ride with a great cost-benefit ratio (fun to pain ratio, that is). Especially for larger persons -- I saw a former ride buddy become too large for the park -- basically the whole park is Avalanche, a coaster that has a rough surface, never reaches full coaster speeds, and has no real airtime. A few can fit Anaconda and I305, but may not be able to handle the stresses especially of the latter. Likewise, consider the flaws of other milder coasters: Woodstock is NOT a mild ride with adult knees and lacks size and speed; the other woodies are rough; Backlot is an insane little beast; Dominator is comfortable but definitely not in the category; even when Shockwave was there a friend didn't want to ride it because goes upside down.

I think Hurler could be rebuilt to fit that category, but you're basically talking about taking one of the roughest rides and turning it into the smoothest. I think this could be done, the cost would probably exceed the original cost of the coaster but not the original cost converted to today's money and arguably it would be worth more than ever before as well. Imagine huge curves of gleaming steel ... the question is, is the ride's "real estate' worth more and can they get CF to fund something better there anyway? Or just tread water for another decade.

I agree Hurler could use new trains, simply to look better and different for one thing, as well as working better and possibly accommodating larger riders.

I would consider Backlot, Avalanche and Ricochet to be solid family rides. Rebel Yell is very manageable too.

I think they're done in that department when you throw in the solid flat collection and spec-f**king-tacular flume.

PS: I love Avalanche