TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^^-- "smooth" yeah that's the word. Not that I dislike rough that much it's just the thing that they lack most coasterwise.

As to crowds now, 7/5, it will be cloudy and I think the real peak will be next weekend but still a big vacation week and crowds were up a bit Sunday despite the weather. Crowds slightly lower this year overall I think.

Really the only think KD is missing is another smooth coaster. Otherwise they're the most well-rounded park behind Cedar Point.

I think a B&M Wing coaster would be the perfect fit for KD. It would keep the park perfectly rounded until one of the aging coasters need to be replaced several years down the line.

Really the only think KD is missing is another smooth coaster. Otherwise they're the most well-rounded park behind Cedar Point.

I think a B&M Wing coaster would be the perfect fit for KD. It would keep the park perfectly rounded until one of the aging coasters need to be replaced several years down the line.

I agree. Would like a launched one like Thunderbird but a dive drop would be nice too.

Other than Hurler, there was nothing "rough" or unbearable at that park. While I do agree it is a very well rounded park, it definitely does not have that many rough coasters. Anaconda is nothing compared to plenty of other rides that I've been on. It was actually smooth both separate times that we've visited.

Just curious, how would you guys compare KD to other cedar fair parks? IMO, I think if they fix up a few things, it'll be up there with their top 4 parks (Canada Wonderland, Cedar point, Kings Island, and carowinds)

I was just saying in the Cedar Point thread that Kings Dominion is my number two park in the chain. If Hurler gets the RMC treatment, it will be well entrenched into that spot. Haven't been to CW (less than two weeks) or Knotts.

1. Cedar Point

2. Kings Dominion

3. Kings Island

4. Carowinds

Worlds of Fun, Dorney, Valleyfair

I haven't been to Dorney, or California's Great America, but I'd rank the remainder of the parks as follows...

1. Cedar Point

2. Kings Island

3. Canada's Wonderland

4. Kings Dominion

5. Worlds of Fun

6. Knott's Berry Farm

7. Carowinds

8. Michigan's Adventure

9. Valleyfair

My last visits to many of these parks were years ago, but my rankings are based on my overall experience at the park when I visited, quality of coasters there when I visited, plus factoring in how impressive the additions since I've visited look.

I'm sure my high rating of Worlds of Fun surprises people, but I really enjoyed my visit there years ago, and they've added Prowler, Patriot, and Spinning Dragons since then, while only removing a crappy Arrow looper. I have to imagine I'd quite enjoy visiting it again now, with those new coasters there!

Fury is the best coaster I've ever been on, no doubt! But other than that, my visit to Carowinds was rather underwhelming. It's not a bad park at all, and I'd love to go again and ride Fury all day with occasional spins on Intimidator and Afterburn. But I was expecting more, I guess...

As for Michigan's Adventure, there's probably a little "homerism" in rating it over Valleyfair, and Renegade wasn't there when I last visited. However, Shivering Timbers is a Top 10 coaster for me, and the waterpark is really great at MiA! Wild Thing was fun, and I'm sure Renegade is a blast too, but I'm not sure I'd rather have both of those, than Shivering Timbers...

Since this is the KD thread... I haven't been since before I-305, and Dominator arriving. However, I really enjoyed the park my previous visit, and they've added those two coasters, one of which is in the discussion for best in the world, and the other of which I've ridden, and quite enjoyed, in its previous location! Honestly, when I finally make my way back there, hopefully next year, it will likely rise above CW and maybe even KI, especially if they have a kick-butt RMC'd Hurler there as well!

Oh come on! Someone ranking Valleyfair below the Michigan park?! That's difinitive proof Valleyfair needs a new coaster pronto.

RMC Hurler. Please make it happen. I need more RMCs in my life.

KD could very well be getting an RMC this year. Source? The Cedar Point board. And keep in mind these guys always poke fun at KD fanboys. Apparently RMC's ally dropped a hint at RMC Hurler.

It's been a confirmed in-house project since the park opened for the season. Seriously.... can this rumor die already?

KD could very well be getting an RMC this year. Source? The Cedar Point board. And keep in mind these guys always poke fun at KD fanboys. Apparently RMC's ally dropped a hint at RMC Hurler.

It's been a confirmed in-house project since the park opened for the season. Seriously.... can this rumor die already?

Actually no, it hasn't confirmed to be in-house. The hints that RMC themselves dropped was clear as day pointing at Hurler. And it's not just KD fanboys saying this. Even Cedar Point fanboys acknowledged that it's happening to KD's Hurler. It only makes sense with Hurler being closed this long.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28853&start=31800

https://m.facebook.com/IrvineOndreyEngineering/photos/a.475305665826794.115576.474347982589229/1200454699978550/?type=3&theater

Edited by madmax

The hints that RMC themselves dropped was clear as day pointing at Hurler.

I have not seen RMC give any hints? Source? Or are you talking about the hints that Irvine Ondrey Engineering posted on fb about getting the Cedar Fair contract? Because you do know that IOE works with GCI as well as RMC, correct?

I have not seen RMC give any hints? Source? Or are you talking about the hints that Irvine Ondrey Engineering posted on fb about getting the Cedar Fair contract? Because you do know that IOE works with GCI as well as RMC, correct?

Either way they said it's a large project, and all signs point to Hurler. So no, it's not entirely in-house. What leads me to think it's RMC is them saying they're booked for 2017 along with GCI already working with BGW down south.

Either way they said it's a large project, and all signs point to Hurler. So no, it's not entirely in-house. What leads me to think it's RMC is them saying they're booked for 2017 along with GCI already working with BGW down south.

1. You want RMC Hurler

2. Large project confirmed

3. People in the CP thread said so

Guys he's right.

1. You want RMC Hurler

Guys he's right.

I hope you're serious because there's clear cut evidence as to Hurler getting a major renovation.

1. You want RMC Hurler

Guys he's right.

I hope you're serious because there's clear cut evidence as to Hurler getting a major renovation.

No one is doubting Hurler gets a renovation. We are questioning RMC's role in this renovation.

Fireworks are launched behind the waterpark, not behind the service road by I305.

Do you work at kings dominion?

Yes, I've been working I305 since 2013.

Ah, I see. You know what's going on in that little area? Many people claimed it was for fireworks (which was clearly debunked) and some claim it's for a project or something.

So ended up not going on Tuesday but are going tomorrow. How are Friday crowds? We will be doing early entry. How should we attack this park?

Volcano, Flight of Fear, Backlot, and Delirium are priorities. They have pretty bad capacity (or are new), so get crazy lines.

EDIT:

Ah, I see. You know what's going on in that little area? Many people claimed it was for fireworks (which was clearly debunked) and some claim it's for a project or something.

I don't know what is going on, but I know:

1.There's a service road that runs between it and I305. This road goes through behind the water park and ends around hurler/grizzly

2.There's a maintenance building EXTREMELY close to this area

This area is near a lot of the backstage, so I doubt it's an attraction.

Edited by Kinematics