TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

It appears that I'm in the minority because I think that the vest restraints are some of the most comfortable OTSRs I've been in (I say one of, because Intamin's new restraints (Maverick, I305) are insanely comfortable). For me, they fit just right and they don't feel uncomfortable at all, and I really like that there isn't anything that I could possibly hit my head on.

It's a body type thing. I have bony hips so the lap bar really digs into me during the ride when it tightens. They are very comfortable for me until they tighten mid-ride.

That being said I do like the lack of headbanging and the way they look.

My personal preference for restraints is the B&M clamshells though, those are amazing.

as for on topic discussion

Haven't been to KD in a while. Heard there's some type of land clearing for fireworks? Anyone been to the park recently and saw it themselves? Also land clearing for fireworks sounds kinda odd to me isn't it kinda dangerous to put it very close to a roller coaster?

Clearing the land for fireworks does sort of make sense, because then the fireworks can't accidentally start fires or whatever. I'm not sure if anything of the sort is actually happening but land clearing for fireworks doesn't seem dangerous at all. Parks also usually close coasters and rides that are near their firework shows (I know a bunch of rides at SFFT do)

Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know how much it costs to upgrade from a Gold Season Pass to Platinum?

I currently own a Gold Season Pass @Kings Dominion, but I'm planning on visting Kings Island, the sister park!

Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know how much it costs to upgrade from a Gold Season Pass to Platinum?

I currently own a Gold Season Pass @Kings Dominion, but I'm planning on visting Kings Island, the sister park!

I think that you just take the difference between the gold price and the Platinum price.

I think that you just take the difference between the gold price and the Platinum price.

Thanks for letting me know! Helped a lot!

How is Flight of Fear? I heard it's pretty rough and I don't know if I should ride it or not.

it's not rough at all. it used to be a bit of a headbanger, but years ago they replaced the over-the-shoulder restraints with lapbars and it's fine now.

i just wish they would turn down the midcourse brake -- last time i was there (last year) it brought the train to a complete stop, and makes the second half of the ride excruciatingly slow. Cedar Fair loves their aggressive MCBRs, though.

How is Flight of Fear? I heard it's pretty rough and I don't know if I should ride it or not.

Incredibly smooth, disorienting and awesome. Probably my favorite indoor coaster (yes better than Mummy). Criminally underrated. One of the top tier rides in the park.

Incredibly smooth, disorienting and awesome. Probably my favorite indoor coaster (yes better than Mummy). Criminally underrated. One of the top tier rides in the park.

Dang, coasterbill! What has possessed you to be up at this awful hour of night (which is when I'm usually on here)?

I don't know if all FoF are pretty much the same inside but it's not my kind of coaster - I like to see what's happening.

Is it rough? It is a bit - but to me it seems rough because you don't really see what's gonna happen.

As for whether you should ride it or not - you should defo try it at least once, so you know if you like it or not. It's not gonna hurt you like some other rides can (I'm thinking Time Warp, hands-free... )

Haven't been to KD in a while. Heard there's some type of land clearing for fireworks? Anyone been to the park recently and saw it themselves? Also land clearing for fireworks sounds kinda odd to me isn't it kinda dangerous to put it very close to a roller coaster?

Fireworks aren't launched in that area, they're launched behind the waterpark.

I see it nearly everyday.

We close I305 for the fireworks.

Dang, coasterbill! What has possessed you to be up at this awful hour of night (which is when I'm usually on here)?

I'm on vacation so I didn't have to get up early this morning. Alcohol was involved... Flight of Fear is awesome though. So excited for it to come to Dorney.

I'm on vacation so I didn't have to get up early this morning. Alcohol was involved... Flight of Fear is awesome though. So excited for it to come to Dorney.

Maybe it can become part of a Cedar Fair traveling coaster system, and MiA can get it in 2025 or something, if CF sees fit to give them an addition that soon!

Just curious, how would you guys compare KD to other cedar fair parks? IMO, I think if they fix up a few things, it'll be up there with their top 4 parks (Canada Wonderland, Cedar point, Kings Island, and carowinds)

Just curious, how would you guys compare KD to other cedar fair parks? IMO, I think if they fix up a few things, it'll be up there with their top 4 parks (Canada Wonderland, Cedar point, Kings Island, and carowinds)

Cedar Point is obviously miles ahead of the others. I haven't been to Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, or Kings Island yet. But from what I've researched, I'd say that Kings Island would solidly be 2nd, but still far behind CP. I'd probably say that Kings Dominion would be in the same tier as Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland, but honestly Kings Dominion seems a bit more appealing to me than Carowinds or Canada's Wonderland in my opinion.

I have been to Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, and Canada's Wonderland (I'm going to Carowinds in a few weeks though, so I'll be able to say more after that). I think that KD ranks under CP (and barely under KI) but definitely over CW. CW is a nice park and all, but the lineup just isn't all that interesting to me (even with all of those flats). Also, I know I haven't been to Carowinds yet, but just by looking at the lineup and somewhat lack of the charm in the park makes me think that KD is WAY above Cwnds. My main problem with Carowinds is that it has a great top 3 but then the lineup just brutally drops in quality. At the end of. The day I would think that you would end up just walking back and forth between the 3 good rides in the park. Looking at KD, it has a top 3, while they might not be as good quality as Cwnds' top 3, you still have a lot more great rides, like flight of fear, rebel yell, and grizzly. And that just makes it seem way better than Carowinds for me.

So yeah I would consider KD to be the 3rd best cedar fair park. It has a really good lineup (and also a LOT of charm, which I forgot to mention earlier). So yeah, the end, or whatever, I feel like I just wrote an essay or something...

I'd put KD behind CP, Knott's, KI, ConWon, and Carowinds. KD is a good park, not great. Their lineup is not nearly as good as people say.

Kings Dominion is a really solid park. In terms of coasters they have one top 5 ride, a major drop off to round out the big three, then another drop off for the supporting lineup. They could definitely use another noteworthy ride but the lineup is solid already and can certainly hold its own with nearby regional parks. It's no Cedar Point but it's at least comparable to BGW, better than SFA and Dorney, and maybe one step below Hershey and Great Adventure.

The non-coaster selection is probably above average, but the atmosphere really shines. It's just a nice way to spend a day and feels a lot more low key compared to parks like Great Adventure where you have to rush through everything to feel like you've done it all in a single day (which probably has just as much to do with Great Adventure's quality lineup).

Of the Cedar Fair parks I've been to, this is how I would rank them.

1. Kings Island
  2. Cedar Point
  3. Kings Dominion
  4. Dorney Park

I put Kings Island first because I was able to ride every coaster I queued up for. At Cedar Point I was turned away from Millennium Force because I was just a little bit too big for the restraints, which really disappointed me since I was really looking forward to riding it.

It's a great park, probably in the middle. I would put Cedar Point at #1 and then lump Kings Island, Carowinds and Kings Dominion together and put them in any random order (I can't decide) and then put Wonderland after them, then Knott's, then Dorney at the rear.

It's very comparable to Carowinds and KI. Of the 3, Kings Dominion is the prettiest park and has the best atmosphere by a huge margin. They also have the best non coaster rides by a big margin with rides like Delerium, the Crypt, excellent, swappable Flyers, Windseeker, a good Boo Blasters, Eifel Tower and the best Flume of the 3 parks.

Kings Island probably has more high level coasters but KD is no slouch and i305 is better than anything at KI unless it's night time and you decide to head to the back of the park to see what all the screaming in the woods is about at KI. Dominator is one of the top floorless coasters in the world, Volcano is awesome, Flight of Fear is top class and rides better than it's counterpart and they have a ton of fun supporting coasters like Backlot Stunt Coaster, Avalanche and Grizzly.

KI is like a parallel universe KD that has a bunch of good rides but is honestly ugly in comparison. The tree game is strong at KD. KI should follow their lead.