TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

As you should be.

And to be fair, Flight of Fear is actually better anyway just because it's in the dark. That makes anything awesome.

And you know how I feel about coasters in the dark.

As you should be.

And to be fair, Flight of Fear is actually better anyway just because it's in the dark. That makes anything awesome.

And you know how I feel about coasters in the dark.

I know how you feel about A coaster in the dark, one specifically.

Im still a fan of Flight of Fear. The first half up through the mid course is totally awesome and way more powerful than Jokers Jinx. Being indoors is definitely a big plus for the majority of the ride. I think if the mid course was at least relaxed a little bit it would blow Jokers Jinx away. The second half, until the ride settles on ground level before the corkscrew, has some awkward over-banking for how slow the train is going after the complete stop.

I agree though, an underrated coaster that could be really, really good. I ride it every visit.

Flight of Fear is better because if you're riding Flight of Fear that means you're not at Six Flags America.

I should have seen that coming!

FoF ride the other night in front row, I came out of my seat and hit the lap bar on that corkscrew. Never had that happen before. Actually scared me a bit. BTW, yeah the brake probably wouldn't work as well for JJ, setting's not as dramatic.

Just wondering: is there any seat on Anaconda that isn't painfully rough?

It all depends on height and body type. I don't experience any roughness on it at all.

I'm about 5'5" and 120 lbs. Am I more likely to get headbang or not?

It all depends on height and body type. I don't experience any roughness on it at all.

Here's what I do on Anaconda: Don't ride it. I did find that the back car is the most enjoyable for me, however. Just a heads up, he headbanging on the turn before the final brakes can be brutal if you don't prepare for it.

I have no idea. But personally I love the thing. Ride it once, you'll either love it or hate it. There's no in between with Anaconda.

Usually on Arrow coasters with 7-car/14-row trains, the 7th row is the best since it's the front row of the middle car.

The transition I find the roughest is in the bottom or "middle" of the weird figure 8. Lean into the restraint and lean your head forward and you'll be fine.

I personally love the hang time in the corkscrews. They alone are worth the ride. The rest is merely ok.

Arrow loopers are so weird. You'd think they'd all be the same for the same people, but it's definitely not the case. Most people hate Vortex @ KI and love Tennessee Tornado @ Dollywood, but I was definitely the other way around. No pain on Vortex, but some serious shoulder/neck wreckage on TT. Corkscrew @ CP was somewhere in the middle but since the layout is garbage and it's an early Arrow looper, it's not really worth mentioning as anything but a point of comparison.

The mixed reactions to Arrow looping coasters are pretty strange. Another example is that a lot of people think Loch Ness Monster is just okay or somewhat decent, but I thought it was outstanding! I guess people tend to expect different things before riding Arrow coasters. For example, people expecting an Arrow to be unbearable, then get blown away when it isn't that rough. And a lot of people are used to modern steel coasters, so they are disappointed when they ride an old-school coaster that's a little rough around the edges.

Is it me or are the trims on I305 not running anymore? I visited on the 22nd and the ride seemed much more intense than usual. To add as evidence the photos weren't timed correctly and there was water spraying on the wheels which I had not noticed before. I visited Memorial Day weekend as well and didn't notice these things.

the trims on the drop were taken off years ago.

the light trims before the bunny hills have always been there, and are there still.

neither can be "turned off" because they are not electronic. they can only be added or removed.

the water sprayers on the wheels were added during its first season.

Edited by smallpox

Intimidator 305 also varies greatly in perceived speed throughout the course of a day. It's probably only a couple mph difference (if that) but because of the nature of the tight transitions when the wheels are warmed up especially late afternoon/night the ride seems much more out of control compared to the first few hours of operation in a day.

The best thing I can compare it to is the difference in speed El Toro takes its twister section when it's running fast in the evening. It seems like a major difference because of the nature of the ride but in reality it doesn't take much to seem like you're flying.

I enjoyed FoF more than Poltergeist because the disorientation actually works. There were points when I couldn't tell which way it was going and going into the brake run I legit thought we were sideways. It was hilarious.

I had that exact same thing happen to be on FoF before! It was so bizarre! FoF is definitely an underrated coaster!

I enjoyed FoF more than Poltergeist because the disorientation actually works. There were points when I couldn't tell which way it was going and going into the brake run I legit thought we were sideways. It was hilarious.

I had that exact same thing happen to be on FoF before! It was so bizarre! FoF is definitely an underrated coaster!

FoF is awesome. The sideways hangtime off the MCBR is great.

Is it me or are the trims on I305 not running anymore? I visited on the 22nd and the ride seemed much more intense than usual. To add as evidence the photos weren't timed correctly and there was water spraying on the wheels which I had not noticed before. I visited Memorial Day weekend as well and didn't notice these things.

The airtime hill trim is always on. Only trim on the ride.

The water on the wheels is Wet Mode. It cools the tires down so they last longer. The cable lift is much slower in Wet Mode, but it saves on costs.

I just read something on ParkFans that says that Hurler's structure is in very poor shape right now.

http://parkfans.net/thread-1642-page-21.html

I have to agree that this could be KD's Gwazi/SOB. It seems very suspicious that such a small coaster is being closed for the entire season for "renovation". IMO Hurler is gone within the next couple of years. This isn't like Ghostrider where it's mainly the layout that needed retweaking.

I just read something on ParkFans that says that Hurler's structure is in very poor shape right now.

I have to agree that this could be KD's Gwazi/SOB. It seems very suspicious that such a small coaster is being closed for the entire season for "renovation". IMO Hurler is gone within the next couple of years. This isn't like Ghostrider where it's mainly the layout that needed retweaking.

So the source is literally that you saw on some forum that some guy with 88 posts that nobody knows heard from "a guy" who talked to "some ACE members at SFA a few days ago" that spoke to "a KD official" who said that Hurler did not pass a structural inspection.

Sounds legit.

So the source is literally that you saw on some forum that some guy with 88 posts that nobody knows heard from "a guy" who talked to "some ACE members at SFA a few days ago" that spoke to "a KD official" who said that Hurler did not pass a structural inspection.

Sounds legit.

Maybe they all heard it from this guy...

Sounds legit.

Ironically, the quote the guy got the information came from is from this very thread, page 1455