TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I was talking with some ACE members at a SFA a few days ago. One of them mentioned he spoke with KD official who told him a new coaster was not in KD's future. He was also told Hurler was shut done because it did not pass a structural inspection. It's fate is uncertain as they are trying to determine how they are going to proceed. It was mentioned that Pat Jones wanted the ride saved and possibly retracked, but now that she is moving on to Carrowinds, who knows. It was also mentioned in jest that Hurler, Richochet and Rebel Yell will all be removed and replaced with a record breaking coaster in 2018.

I was talking with some ACE members at a SFA a few days ago. One of them mentioned he spoke with KD official who told him a new coaster was not in KD's future. He was also told Hurler was shut done because it did not pass a structural inspection. It's fate is uncertain as they are trying to determine how they are going to proceed. It was mentioned that Pat Jones wanted the ride saved and possibly retracked, but now that she is moving on to Carrowinds, who knows. It was also mentioned in jest that Hurler, Richochet and Rebel Yell will all be removed and replaced with a record breaking coaster in 2018.

There is no way they are removing rebel yell AND hurler. Rebel yell is a classic. Plus those two coasters are the only real airtime focused coasters in the park...

There is no way they are removing rebel yell AND hurler. Rebel yell is a classic. Plus those two coasters are the only real airtime focused coasters in the park...

in jest

in jest

in jest

Oh and

Plus those two coasters are the only real airtime focused coasters in the park...

Also not only is this wrong but the park wouldn't care even if it wasn't. I also just wanted to give you a friendly reminder that I305 and Grizzly exist. I've never gotten any airtime on Rebel Yell or Hurler ever. I get more airtime on Dominator coming out of the midcourse.

in jest

in jest

in jest

Oh and

Plus those two coasters are the only real airtime focused coasters in the park...

Also not only is this wrong but the park wouldn't care even if it wasn't. I also just wanted to give you a friendly reminder that I305 and Grizzly exist. I've never gotten any airtime on Rebel Yell or Hurler ever. I get more airtime on Dominator coming out of the midcourse.

I said airtime focused... I305, Grizzly, and dominator are focused more on other things (like intensity or inversions) and hurler has some actual ejector air if you sit in the front seat. (Which surprised me) Rebel Yell also does get some airtime, especially in the back seat. Although it's not anything like the racer or something, it's still some good airtime.

Fine, I don't agree but it's up for debate. My main point is that I don't think you understand what "in jest" means.

Is it considered snapping when one of the cables attached to the flyer becomes slack and then tightens back up again? If so, then I think I snapped the ones at Knoebels without even trying to.

That tends to happen at Knoebels. Those flyers are the cream of the crop.

With KI getting a GCI and not a giga this year, there's hope for KD getting a good attraction this year and not getting screwed in the a** again.

If you ask me, Kings Dominion is still a better park than Kings Island even after Banshee, so just give KI some time to catch up.

Only 3 posts total?

Signs point to this being a troll post

I don't think it's a troll post. And actually I agree with it. Kings Island may have a better coaster collection (though KD has the best coaster overall) but KD's is quite good too. More importantly though Kings Dominion is a very, very nice park. It's much more heavily wooded on the main midway and over by Shenandoah Lumber Company and the car ride and it has a really nice feel to it. When I was on the main midway at KI I legitimately felt like it was just a crappy imitation of the one at Kings Dominion (I don't believe that's the case but that's how it felt).

From a personal standpoint (even though I know I'm in the minority) if the KI rumors are true it would probably put Kings Dominion even further ahead of Kings Island for me as it would mean even less trees in a park that gets very hot and to add insult to injury no log flume to cool you off. If I had to pick between a log flume and a GCI I'd pick the flume 100% of the time. I know most people don't agree and that's okay... but it's my personal opinion of the 2 parks.

Overall though I just come back to the fact that Kings Dominion is nicer. Kings Island feels like an asphalt park out in the hot sun. Kings Dominion is very wooded and has a great "Old Virginia" vibe. Aesthetically I've always thought that KD was underrated. Probably because Busch Gardens is right up the road but KD really holds it's own.

Edited by coasterbill

Fine, I don't agree but it's up for debate. My main point is that I don't think you understand what "in jest" means.

Ah. I was a little confused about that but I was too lazy to look it up. (I'm not smart so expect that kind of stuff from me.)

Anyways I really do hope KD doesn't take down Rebel Yell . Was Thunder Road an ACE coaster landmark? If it was then Rebel Yell's days really could be numbered... Then what if Racer is next??? Oh the horror!!!

With KI getting a GCI and not a giga this year, there's hope for KD getting a good attraction this year and not getting screwed in the a** again.

I'll take "Rebuilt Hurler" for 2017, Alex

Unfortunately I won't.

I wasn't the only one that saw this, right? The epitome of coaster enthusiast complaints. "My home park got something but I won't accept it."

I'll take "Rebuilt Hurler" for 2017, Alex

Unfortunately I won't.

I wasn't the only one that saw this, right? The epitome of coaster enthusiast complaints. "My home park got something but I won't accept it."

I don't know how I missed that.

Why would they remove Rebel Yell and Ricochet? Hurler is enough. So basically we would go from 14 to 10 coasters in two years.

And where did he get the record breaking coaster thing from?

EDIT: Just saw the "in jest" part.

Anyways if Hurler does get removed, why wouldn't they put in a coaster?

Carrowinds removed Thunder Run, also a classic and very similar to Rebel Yell. It is not impossible.

If Rebel Yell is torn down, I would be super upset. After Carowinds did the same last year, the opportunity to lose our racing woodie is pretty plausible. I try to ride it as much as possible nowadays; I would hate to see it go. If anything, something else gets chopped before Rebel Yell, imo.

Why would they remove Rebel Yell and Ricochet? Hurler is enough. So basically we would go from 14 to 10 coasters in two years.

And where did he get the record breaking coaster thing from?

EDIT: Just saw the "in jest" part.

Anyways if Hurler does get removed, why wouldn't they put in a coaster?

If they received 10 of these they would have 24 roller coasters, the most in the world. Remembering the removal and replacement of Shockwave, you're all about quantity.

It was mentioned that Pat Jones wanted the ride saved and possibly retracked, but now that she is moving on to Carrowinds, who knows.

Speaking of Pat Jones, here's the official press release regarding her replacement.

Kings Dominion Announces New Vice President and General Manager

Doswell, VA. (June 7, 2016) - Kings Dominion announces Gary Chadwick as the new Vice President and

General Manager of the amusement park.

Chadwick joins the Kings Dominion team with 13 years of leadership experience in the amusement park

industry. Most recently, he has spent the past nine years at Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina

where he served as the Vice President of Food and Retail Operations. He previously worked at Kings

Dominion as the Department Manager of Retail Operations from 2003 to 2007.

Chadwick began his career in the theme park industry in 1999. That summer, he traveled from England

to the United States as a participant in Kings Dominion’s inaugural season hosting international students

as part of the Work and Travel USA program, which continues to this day.

“I am very excited to be back where I started my career,” Chadwick said. “I love being able to work in an

environment that is dynamic and constantly changing. Kings Dominion is a fantastic park. I look forward

to the future and continuing to provide family fun to the region.”

Chadwick replaces Pat Jones, who served as Kings Dominion’s Vice President and General Manager from

2007 to 2016. She will be relocating to Charlotte to oversee operations as the Vice President and

General Manager of Carowinds.

I am finally getting to KD this Wednesday for the 1st time in about 20 years. So much has changed that it's pretty much like I've never been there before. I've done some research, but wanted to check with some folks who go there all the time for any other advice I might have missed.

1) I'm hoping Wednesday will have very light crowds, even with school just getting out. Thinking FastPass won't be needed. True/False?

2) Park opens at 10:30. Is Dominator open before then?

3)The general consensus seems to suggest riding Volcano 1st thing(perhaps riding Dominator before then if it's open before official opening), then hopping over immediately to I-305. Any other coasters I should consider getting to early before the midday crowds?

4) Are there any "can't miss" flats? Delirium perhaps?My home park is Carowinds, and as ya'll know, flats are not one of our strengths (although I know this is changing soon).

5) How rough is Rebel Yell now compared to how Thunder Road was at CWinds the past few years? My 11 year old loved TR, but it was always a little too rough towards the end for me. Thanks for any advice/answers given in advance.

6) I've read widely different opinions about Grizzly. Some say it still holds up well and is just a little rough around the edges. Others say it's way past it's prime, and is a terrible experience. What do ya'll think? I am curious because it's one of the few rides I actually remember from years ago.

I can't wait for Wednesday---KD was one of the very 1st parks I remember going to as a kid.

I am finally getting to KD this Wednesday for the 1st time in about 20 years. So much has changed that it's pretty much like I've never been there before. I've done some research, but wanted to check with some folks who go there all the time for any other advice I might have missed.

1) I'm hoping Wednesday will have very light crowds, even with school just getting out. Thinking FastPass won't be needed. True/False?

2) Park opens at 10:30. Is Dominator open before then?

3)The general consensus seems to suggest riding Volcano 1st thing(perhaps riding Dominator before then if it's open before official opening), then hopping over immediately to I-305. Any other coasters I should consider getting to early before the midday crowds?

4) Are there any "can't miss" flats? Delirium perhaps?My home park is Carowinds, and as ya'll know, flats are not one of our strengths (although I know this is changing soon).

5) How rough is Rebel Yell now compared to how Thunder Road was at CWinds the past few years? My 11 year old loved TR, but it was always a little too rough towards the end for me. Thanks for any advice/answers given in advance.

6) I've read widely different opinions about Grizzly. Some say it still holds up well and is just a little rough around the edges. Others say it's way past it's prime, and is a terrible experience. What do ya'll think? I am curious because it's one of the few rides I actually remember from years ago.

I can't wait for Wednesday---KD was one of the very 1st parks I remember going to as a kid.

1. You probably won't need fast lane because crowds should be pretty light.

2. Not sure

3. Yes! Make sure you ride Volcano first. Every other ride will have very short lines. The only other ride that may somewhat have a line is Flight of Fear.

4. Drop Tower and The Crypt

5. Just avoid a wheel seat.

6. I think Grizzly is the best wooden coaster in the park. The part of the ride I find "rough" is the tunnel.

I haven't been there yet, but I've been on similar/cloned flat rides at other parks, since I'm a huge flat ride fan. So here are some recommendations:

There's a Bisch-Rocco flyer at Carowinds that everyone loves, so if you have some snapping experience with that one, the Flying Eagles were made by the same manufacturer, so that's something you should do. There's also Delirium, Drop Tower, The Crypt, Windseeker, and some other thrill rides as well as tons of family-friendly flat rides.

I was just writing that my one trip to Carowinds was 20 years ago, Thunder Road was in terrible shape even then, and also seemed really badly located. I don't think they would have bothered aligning Windseeker and 3 hills of I305 with Rebel Yell if there was any thought at all of removing the ride, and it would be a big flip-flop to do so now. It's a bit rough right where the latest retracking ends, bit in some ways it's the best ride experience it's ever been. Maybe they took out Thunder Road partially to make KD more unique.

Now, the HURLER question...

Back at Carowinds 20 years ago, Hurler was actually a pretty solid addition to that park. They had no Grizzly, TR was as described, Vortex was their top steel, ahem ... Hurler was just fun and it was the first time we had a chance to ride one without long lines etc. and was the one pleasant surprise all day. Just to give some proportion.

Of KD's full-sized woodies, Hurler is definitely one of them, and different from the others. If that doesn't get your interest right there, no you're probably not going to be a fan. But, if you know woodies don't have to be cutting edge to be as much fun as anything, it should be of interest.

I think KD's Hurler got a bad rap back in its beginning. Who wanted a wood coaster back in 1994, when so many parks were putting in amazing new steel coasters? Especially in a park already above average in the wood category? And Wayne's World wasn't brand new either, even if you still liked it you just knew the theme wasn't going to age gracefully. Of course, the park shortly after launched into becoming the launch coaster capitol of the world. I don't know if Hurler was to buy time for new developments to come along, or maybe what came later was partially to make up for Hurler. I know that after waiting over an hour to ride it the first time, it was underwhelming.

I need to make a point that any judgement of the ride after 2009 is completely invalid. The trim brake, added in 2010, made the notorious jackhammer turns slightly more tolerable but killed the airtime over its beautiful bunny hops. The real problem with Hurler is maintenance, those turns just tear themselves apart, and weren't that smooth in the first place. Even with the trim, by last year it was maybe the roughest ever.

Maybe they just can't handle the total woodie workload of the current park. The stated plan is essentially just take their time when needed, it's better than tearing it down. That works. Of course if they do need a big piece of land for a coaster, that works too. Or they could try to "fix" it. One possible clue is that row 1 is the best and row 2 is the worst even compared to the other wheel seats, how is that even possible with them in the same car, the trains just don't work. What seems to make sense to me is limited Topper Track, turn the roughest parts into the smoothest and leave the rest alone. Reports are that the Carowinds turn rebuild didn't result in leaving the trim brake off, which sounds like failure to me.

3. Yes! Make sure you ride Volcano first. Every other ride will have very short lines. The only other ride that may somewhat have a line is Flight of Fear.

4. Drop Tower and The Crypt

5. Just avoid a wheel seat.

6. I think Grizzly is the best wooden coaster in the park. The part of the ride I find "rough" is the tunnel.

In that case, we'll plan on riding Flight of Fear right after Volcano and I-305.

Appreciate the feedback on RY and Grizzly. My kid loves wooden roller coasters. I have a feeling the only coaster she likes more than Grizzly might be I-305.

I haven't been there yet, but I've been on similar/cloned flat rides at other parks, since I'm a huge flat ride fan. So here are some recommendations:

There's a Bisch-Rocco flyer at Carowinds that everyone loves, so if you have some snapping experience with that one, the Flying Eagles were made by the same manufacturer, so that's something you should do. There's also Delirium, Drop Tower, The Crypt, Windseeker, and some other thrill rides as well as tons of family-friendly flat rides.

I keep on hearing raves about Flying Eagles, and I've honestly never been on it. Shame on me. May be time to fix that.

I think we'll add Delirium and The Crypt onto the must ride list. Both Drop Tower and Windseeker are in both parks (although I think KD's is a little taller).