TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I would like to add that I just visited Carowinds for the first time this past weekend. I would consider myself a KD fanboy, but Afterburn is a better all around coaster than V:TBC. I just loved the batwing. Fury 325 is better than I305. Carowinds deserves all the attention they are getting from CF. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for Carowinds.

Yeah but did they deserve $80M dollars for future expansions...?

Yes, and I think it's even more clear now that it's happening. And it's not about "deserve," it's about business.

I would like to add that I just visited Carowinds for the first time this past weekend. I would consider myself a KD fanboy, but Afterburn is a better all around coaster than V:TBC. I just loved the batwing. Fury 325 is better than I305. Carowinds deserves all the attention they are getting from CF. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for Carowinds.

Yeah but did they deserve $80M dollars for future expansions...?

Yes, and I think it's even more clear now that it's happening. And it's not about "deserve," it's about business.

But the only major area around Carowinds is Charlotte. That area doesn't exactly have a big audience to appeal to.

Also, Carowinds needed a lot of work. Kings Dominion, not as much. I'd assume that in a few years Carowinds people will be complaining like some KD people are now. KD got what it needed this year; a new flat ride replacing an out of date coaster from a company that no longer exists.

I dunno. During the dark years, the Carowinds folks just took it in stride. Remember, Carowinds has taken more losses than the average park ; flume, flat rides, sternwheeler, island in the middle and a couple coasters. I can't recall people acting like the folks in here.

Now, as far as Carowinds being a soul-less corporate park . .

. I can't make that bold of a statement being the effort for the last several years have been to go back to the roots of celebrating the Carolinas with Carolina harbor, Carolina inspired food festivals, bringing back original names to the park (harmony hall, blackbeard's revenge) and revamping the food offerings to reflect the Carolina style. So yeah, I don't know if I'd use soul-less corporate park to describe Carowinds.

I dunno. During the dark years, the Carowinds folks just took it in stride. Remember, Carowinds has taken more losses than the average park ; flume, flat rides, sternwheeler, island in the middle and a couple coasters. I can't recall people acting like the folks in here.

I don't know, you could have a drinking game and get pretty wasted every time someone responds to basically anything they post on Facebook talking about how their family "WILL NOT" be renewing their passes until they "put Thunder Road back".

A little late to the discussion (argument?), but I'm definitely a MAJOR Fury fan, as it's my #1 coaster! Haven't ridden I305 to compare, but I would be shocked if I liked it more, knowing what I've read and heard. However, I just went to Carowinds last year, and came away very underwhelmed, other than Fury. I had a major case of anticipointment regarding Afterburn, after everybody talked it up, and it's nowhere near Volcano in my rankings! Maybe a Top 5 B&M Invert for me, maybe...? I liked Intimidator, but definitely prefer Dominator. So for my personal tastes (which is all any of this really amounts to anyway), I'd take KD's coaster collection over Carowinds, in spite of me not having been to KD in 14 years! That doesn't really back up a "need" for a new coaster at KD - though I'll take a new coaster anywhere, anytime!

To provide folks with a little break from the Carowinds vs Kings Dominion - 'which park is better or sucks worse' debate, I thought I would throw in a few photos from our visit two Saturday's ago.

Enjoy!

DSC05541.JPG.2503e95b86884e4878e27e60688ee45d.JPG

Quite the view from our room at Best Western!

DSC05542.JPG.9d48ce34e03463e6319aabc408ba63d4.JPG

I spy some Intamin hotness over the trees.

DSC05543.JPG.4bbd9adac9ef2d659a2ba754926dddc7.JPG

I can honestly admit that I have never hash-tagged anything in my life and surprisingly, I have no desire to ever hash-tag anything in my near future.

Yep, I'm old.

DSC05544.JPG.3cc37e4640ea257b91c24533ed243560.JPG

Yay for free room used with comp points at Kings Quarters!

DSC05546.JPG.1a11faa4cfcabd4f25a18ba81e354947.JPG

Welcome to Spring Bloom & The Land Of Purple Butterflies!

DSC05559.JPG.60642872483d129cb59e09a5cdb41eba.JPG

After checking out some of the food and (small) beer offerings at Spring Bloom (photos posted in Chuck's (cfc) Springtime at KD trip report), it was time for a manly beer before tackling any coasters.

DSC05561.JPG.af9bf72d8180a9b0a40b43e6a410c985.JPG

And why not start our 2016 coaster season out by tackling one of the best?

DSC05592.JPG.ec2abe76bbe6897cf9331564f9a1c294.JPG

And this is definitely one of the best out there. The more I ride it, the more I love it.

No more black-outs or gray-outs anymore - the key is (underage people cover your eyes) consuming alcohol before riding.

I kid (maybe).

DSC05562.JPG.fbc34b283afff36e6a246d429535d039.JPG

Fun Fact: Volcano flies riders over the moon and was the first coaster to feature boobs over the moon.

DSC05567.JPG.07296edb467b55d17a405a6d58fff4be.JPG

Here's another one at sunset that could be plopped into the Coasters At Sunset thread.

DSC05569.JPG.59854e6da274e8ae95aeed7f698a20cd.JPG

I can post more of Day Two if anyone wants to see them?

Here are more photos for your viewing pleasure...

DSC02929.JPG.6fbdb70b6aab392756b641c040c98f93.JPG

Linus and Charlie Brown were having their own dance party to celebrate Hurler being closed.

I was very close to joining the celebration.

DSC02934.JPG.91e8599430e4ddca31f4d4fad471a5c8.JPG

First order of the day was to check out the parks new ride - Delirium. Can you pick me out of the line-up?

DSC02935.JPG.b5e56957e84a98d450bc1500f6b1c3f3.JPG

I am the one with the long, scrawny legs a-dangling!

DSC05596.JPG.c51febc557203234dd9a951209f7e4c5.JPG

The ride area really looks great with lots of green space where Shockwave once stood.

My concern for the ride was that the restraint system is very much like The Claw at Hershey where the seats need to show green lights before they can give the thumbs up. I noticed slow dispatches due to this and it was only at about half capacity when I rode it. I imagine this might cause some really long lines on a very busy day during the summer.

Great ride and addition to KD - although I'm still a Max Air guy myself.

DSC05579.JPG.437d5fdda747a89cf0c666feddb0a1b9.JPG

Michael loves him some Windseeker.

Me? Not so much.

DSC05583.JPG.feacc6f58cfd70ad6e895558a37227a5.JPG

He's up their twirling in one of those seats.

DSC05586.JPG.7ae2c9fc255990dae6951ed0635ac7ab.JPG

There is some slight airtime in the front seat of Grizzly right here.

Got a walk-on in the front seat of this one. Decent, but could be so much better with only buzz-bars.

DSC05589.JPG.c4c60e045fdf8eb0cf267f74af97d77a.JPG

Lines were like this all morning - nice!

DSC05595.JPG.80aef182b9d3e0915832352d9ee02e25.JPG

Rebel Yell got some new wood in the off-season.

This is another coaster that could be great with only buzz-bars.

DSC05591.JPG.57ae41c7845f8442589f2a0786f7c1f6.JPG

RMC or firewood?

We didn't notice any work going on around Hurler, but then again, it was Sunday.

DSC05597.JPG.435e3986b8245c09cdc2e64c4b2fcba9.JPG

Funny that I don't care for Windseekers or Sky Screamer types of rides, but I like drop towers despite the fact that they scare the poo-poo out of me.

DSC05600.JPG.71b41a5333117ca8f2742982abd07b0e.JPG

They had some nice topiary around the park.

DSC05601.JPG.6b7a6eac02ead8cff105e27cafc2e17d.JPG

As well as some very well done Peanuts theming.

DSC05612.JPG.5b59aa05f123117fc76832358a2ad453.JPG

This was a very pleasant surprise...hardly any line for I-305!

If you want to hit up the park on a non-crowded day during the Spring Bloom Festival - the time to go is on a Sunday! It was almost like having ERT/Fast Lane Plus on every ride (except Volcano).

^Sunday is my day of choice for both Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens (especially the former). Crowds are very manageable on springtime Sundays.

I'm curious as to if KD has plans to add anymore flats in the future on the rest of the land Shockwave once occupied? I'm not sure if that if that has anything to do with the swing radius for Delirium or not.

I'm curious as to if KD has plans to add anymore flats in the future on the rest of the land Shockwave once occupied? I'm not sure if that if that has anything to do with the swing radius for Delirium or not.

I think there is a high chance of seeing at least another flat ride being placed in that area. The land directly to the right of Delirium (as you face the sign / ride) has room for another medium to large flat to go there.

There is space for maybe 1-2 more small to medium flat rides as well (one closest to the Carousel and another between the Peanut Showplace amphitheater and the eastern arcade building). The park shared part of the master plan for that area late last year on another park fan site. On that plan was a proposed building to go to the right of Delirium. That building was not built; so, not sure if Cedar Fair/KD changed their minds concerning that building and left the land open for something else instead.

If Kings Dominion gets a flat ride package in the next 2-3 years, I could see one or two more flat rides going in Shockwave's old site.

As much as I LOVE these Frisbee-type rides, I am not fully convinced about this particular model. One thing that makes me slightly skeptical about Mondial Revolutions is the fact that they literally only do ONE full swing before slowing back down (See CW's Psyclone). I don't know if the ride program will be the same as that, but if it's that short it will probably not live up to its full potential.

THAT BEING SAID- I don't hate the ride, I would still ride it anyways if someone gives me the money for a flight from Italy over to Virginia, and I might even enjoy it a lot. I just see the potential shortness of it as kind of a letdown. You know... nothing that major.

ALSO, I am fully aware that it still hasn't been built yet, so MAYBE Mondial *MIGHT* make it longer. But IMHO, it's not that likely.

Well, I'd just like to throw this really old post back at you guys because, really, seeing that there's some heat here about Delirium being too short in length, just don't say that I didn't warn you. mmkay?

I'm just gonna take a shot at this but I feel like once the season gets in the sling of things you might see them start thinking of things they could put there. For now I'm sure it's still up in the air.