TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I knew the Space Mountain people were coming

I don't think it holds a candle to Flight of Fear though, particularly the Kings Dominion version which rides much better (and catches on fire less frequently) than the Kings Island version.

And among those coasters you have the most intense coaster in America (which is 305 feet tall), arguably the best floorless in America, arguably the best indoor coaster in America outside of Universal (and I might prefer it), and obviously the mythical Skull Mountain, Volcano which is amazing, a great Bobsled and a bunch of others.

Yet the park is still rated under Carowinds for some reason...

By who? I prefer Fury to anything at Kings Dominion but that's very debatable and honestly once you get beyond that Kings Dominion blows Carowinds away. Afterburn is the only other thing Carowinds has going for it against KD.

Edited by coasterbill

I knew the Space Mountain people were coming

I don't think it holds a candle to Flight of Fear though, particularly the Kings Dominion version which rides much better (and catches on fire less frequently) than the Kings Island version.

And among those coasters you have the most intense coaster in America (which is 305 feet tall), arguably the best floorless in America, arguably the best indoor coaster in America outside of Universal (and I might prefer it), and obviously the mythical Skull Mountain, Volcano which is amazing, a great Bobsled and a bunch of others.

Yet the park is still rated under Carowinds for some reason...

By who? I prefer Fury to anything at Kings Dominion but that's very debatable and honestly once you get beyond that Kings Dominion blows Carowinds away. Afterburn is the only other thing Carowinds has going for it against KD.

By coaster studios fanboys.

They must be comparing coasters and ignoring everything else entirely. Kings Dominion is a beautiful park, especially over by the flume and on the main midway. The non coaster offerings are dramatically better than what Carowinds has and their new flat ride package won't change that. As a park, there's no competition between the two (and I love Carowinds). Kings Dominion blows it out of the water.

Carowinds is a soul-less corporate park with no personality to speak of. Great coasters, but no personality. None.

KD's coaster lineup is pretty great, with one of the best headliners in the country. But teh inescapable fact it's a 3rd-tier CF park. CF just has to maintain the park, and improve it's non-coaster offerings which it has done in spades (IMO). I still think there is a potential for a coaster in 2018/19, just by looking at where it is on the CF food chain. But there are plenty of CF parks that haven't gotten a coaster in a longer time than KD, so it could potentially be another 5 years or more.

For those more familiar with KD than myself, what is KD's rain policy like?? Is it as bad as Cedar Points??

No, they actually have a very lenient rain policy. I've never see them shut a ride down for rain besides the Go Karts and I've been there in steady rain on more than one occasion (recently). They might close rides in heavy rain though and part of me feels like Avalanche might have problems with rain and I've just never noticed. Sometimes Bobsleds do so I'm just guessing. Ricochet may also but last time we were there we rode it in a light rain.

Awesome, thanks!! Makes me a little less stressed about the visit!

For those more familiar with KD than myself, what is KD's rain policy like?? Is it as bad as Cedar Points??

No, they actually have a very lenient rain policy. I've never see them shut a ride down for rain besides the Go Karts and I've been there in steady rain on more than one occasion (recently). They might close rides in heavy rain though and part of me feels like Avalanche might have problems with rain and I've just never noticed. Sometimes Bobsleds do so I'm just guessing. Ricochet may also but last time we were there we rode it in a light rain.

Awesome, thanks!! Makes me a little less stressed about the visit!

A word of caution: riding I305 in torrential downpours feels like being pelted with a BB gun nonstop.

KD's coaster lineup is pretty great, with one of the best headliners in the country. But teh inescapable fact it's a 3rd-tier CF park. CF just has to maintain the park, and improve it's non-coaster offerings which it has done in spades (IMO). I still think there is a potential for a coaster in 2018/19, just by looking at where it is on the CF food chain. But there are plenty of CF parks that haven't gotten a coaster in a longer time than KD, so it could potentially be another 5 years or more.

Describe each 'tier' of the CF parks. Is there an official park categorizer that places parks in each tier or are you just disappointed that Kings Dominion is in the top 5 in Cedar Fair's most roller coasters instead of the top 2?

Describe each 'tier' of the CF parks. Is there an official park categorizer that places parks in each tier or are you just disappointed that Kings Dominion is in the top 5 in Cedar Fair's most roller coasters instead of the top 2?

Fingers wrote:

I wouldn't even put it in top 5, as CP, ConWon, Carowinds, Knott's, and KI usually rank higher in the food chain. Here's how PhantomPoster ranked the parks investment-wise, and I tend to agree:

Tier 1 Investment Parks

Cedar Point

Canada's Wonderland

Tier 1.5 Investment Parks

Carowinds

Tier 2 Investment Parks

Knotts Berry Farm

Kings Island

Tier 3 Investment Parks

Kings Dominion

Worlds of Fun

Tier 4 Investment Parks

Valleyfair

Dorney Park

California's Great America

Tier 5 Investment Parks

Michigan's Adventure

Knotts ahead of KD?

The last three major additions at Knott's have been refurbishments of existing attractions (Ghostrider, Log Ride and Mine Ride). If KD was doing that you people would love your collective sh*t and complain about it even more than you're doing now. Case in point: they're probably doing the same thing to Hurler that they're doing with Ghostrider and everyone's going to bitch if it's anything less than an RMC.

What was the last major coaster Knott's got? Probably Silver Bullet over 10 years ago? Since then they got a wild mouse and 2 family coasters. You got the most intense giga coaster in the world, one of the best floorles coasters on the world and a much better family coaster than anything Knotts has plus a frisbee and a bunch of other great additions, plus a Windseeker that wasn't torn down and moved to the Midwest.

The grass is always greener.

Edited by coasterbill

Tier 3 Investment Parks

Kings Dominion

Worlds of Fun

I get that you're a WOFanatic, but putting WOF in the same tier as KD seems incredibly, incredibly optimistic!

WOF has spent about $25 million on additions since I305 was built. Can you name any other park smaller than KD that has spent that much? Usually the two parks get the same things now. Planet Snoopy upgrades, a Windseeker, new slide complex, splash pad, dinos, etc. KD has gotten a major flat ride too but WOF should be getting two new rides soon.

I don't think they are on the same level necessarily, but they usually get about the same stuff.

Fingers wrote:

I wouldn't even put it in top 5, as CP, ConWon, Carowinds, Knott's, and KI usually rank higher in the food chain. Here's how PhantomPoster ranked the parks investment-wise, and I tend to agree:

Tier 1 Investment Parks

Cedar Point

Canada's Wonderland

Carowinds

Tier 2 Investment Parks

Knotts Berry Farm

Kings Island

Tier 3 Investment Parks

Kings Dominion

Worlds of Fun

Tier 4 Investment Parks

Valleyfair

Dorney Park

Tier 5 Investment Parks

Michigan's Adventure

Mostly agree, although I would put Kings Island up there with Carowinds. KI is gonna get a major attraction at least every 5 years, as it challenges the attendance of CP. I also would probably put KD above WoF. I went to school out in Kansas (visited WoF numerous times), and while I think WoF is a really fun park, KD is definitely a level above in terms of attendance/revenue/investment by CF. Knotts hasn't had a ton of major investment, but that is likely due to them being limited space wise.

I'd take Hurler being refurbished as a new ride in itself, but that's just me. Kings Dominion is already a great park in my eyes and I would not mind at all if I had to wait 5 more years to get another coaster.

Um, no. Hurler is possibly the worst ride in the country. It really should be turned into firewood rather than trying to put a lipstick on a pig.

I'm not even saying they have to get a giant RMC woodie or anything like that. Even a family launcher would be a great addition.

Even if they did get a giant RMC woodie you would still find a way to be not satisfied. If it doesn't have a launch like Lightning Rod, you'd point it out. If it has 20 airtime moments instead of 21, you'd point it out. The Kings Dominion thread is capable of that.

And what makes you think that? I liked Delerium and even BG's family woodie when they came out.

Fingers wrote:

Tier 1 Investment Parks

Cedar Point

Canada's Wonderland

Carowinds

Tier 2 Investment Parks

Knotts Berry Farm

Kings Island

Tier 3 Investment Parks

Kings Dominion

Worlds of Fun

Tier 4 Investment Parks

Valleyfair

Dorney Park

Tier 5 Investment Parks

Michigan's Adventure

Mostly agree, although I would put Kings Island up there with Carowinds. KI is gonna get a major attraction at least every 5 years, as it challenges the attendance of CP. I also would probably put KD above WoF. I went to school out in Kansas (visited WoF numerous times), and while I think WoF is a really fun park, KD is definitely a level above in terms of attendance/revenue/investment by CF. Knotts hasn't had a ton of major investment, but that is likely due to them being limited space wise.

hahaha and very ridiculous

I'd take Hurler being refurbished as a new ride in itself, but that's just me. Kings Dominion is already a great park in my eyes and I would not mind at all if I had to wait 5 more years to get another coaster.

Um, no. Hurler is possibly the worst ride in the country. It really should be turned into firewood rather than trying to put a lipstick on a pig.

Hurler is a perfectly average and mediocre coaster. It's not that good but it's not even close to being the worst ride in the country and until last year it wasn't even the worst ride in the park. A little re-tracking could make it a perfectly decent ride.

I'm not even saying they have to get a giant RMC woodie or anything like that. Even a family launcher would be a great addition.

Even if they did get a giant RMC woodie you would still find a way to be not satisfied. If it doesn't have a launch like Lightning Rod, you'd point it out. If it has 20 airtime moments instead of 21, you'd point it out. The Kings Dominion thread is capable of that.

And what makes you think that? I liked Delerium and even BG's family woodie when they came out.

What makes me think that is the fact that you're still complaining

What makes me think that is the fact that you're still complaining

They must be comparing coasters and ignoring everything else entirely. Kings Dominion is a beautiful park, especially over by the flume and on the main midway. The non coaster offerings are dramatically better than what Carowinds has and their new flat ride package won't change that. As a park, there's no competition between the two (and I love Carowinds). Kings Dominion blows it out of the water.

Carowinds is a soul-less corporate park with no personality to speak of. Great coasters, but no personality. None.

Even the coasters at KD dominate the coasters at Carowinds.