TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'll give 'em one thing this year for sure -- I never knew so many people worked on Hurler. Since that ride's been closed not only have they been staffing Grizzly and Rebel Yell better, somehow even Country Kitchen is open more often. I never realized what a drain Hurler was.

I'm not even saying they have to get a giant RMC woodie or anything like that. Even a family launcher would be a great addition.

Good idea, if only they had thought of that...

Yeah, Kings Dominion seems to have a pretty diverse lineup. All they really could get in the future is an RMC. They could go with more B&M coasters like a wing, flying, or hyper coaster, but they don't really need all of those and they have some coasters that fill those categories like Dominator and I305. Basically if they got a new coaster, it wouldn't be necessary and just bonus.

I'm not even saying they have to get a giant RMC woodie or anything like that. Even a family launcher would be a great addition.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure KD already has a family launcher. XD

Backlot Stunt Coaster says "hi."

Even if they did get a giant RMC woodie you would still find a way to be not satisfied. If it doesn't have a launch like Lightning Rod, you'd point it out. If it has 20 airtime moments instead of 21, you'd point it out. The Kings Dominion thread is capable of that.

If its not a coaster then some fans for KD will never be satisfied... Look you still have your Antique Car ride (KI lost), your original Flying Eagles (KI lost and wants returned), tons of tree's and greenery plus flowers making the park beautiful! A huge Ferris Wheel, an Intamin Giga coaster, a nice entrance, an expanded Planet Snoopy, and a new Delirium ride.

If its not a coaster then some fans for KD will never be satisfied... Look you still have your Antique Car ride (KI lost), your original Flying Eagles (KI lost and wants returned), tons of tree's and greenery plus flowers making the park beautiful! A huge Ferris Wheel, an Intamin Giga coaster, a nice entrance, an expanded Planet Snoopy, and a new Delirium ride.

Original old-school Bisch Rocco flyers are awesome!

The only problem I have with Kings Dominion is there's really no coaster that I would consider to have much airtime.

Rebel Yell apparently has amazing airtime or something. But I've never felt anything that good, just some little pops of air.

I305 has some airtime, but the restraints just kind of ruin the effect for me.

Grizzly has some airtime, but I've never considered it entirely significant.

Dominator has amazing floater air right after the MCBR in the back row, and on the little hill at the end, but that's all.

Hurler seems to be the most airtime filled coaster in the park. If there is one thing coaster studios was right about, it's that hurler in the front seat is way smoother, and I got a lot of airtime on it for once. So I am looking forward to the new hurler, hopefully it can be the airtime coaster in the lineup.

Kings Dominion has one of the most unique lineups in cedar fair. It really has some great potential to have one of the world's greatest coaster lineups some day. I would just think it would be great with another airtime filled coaster along with Hurler to balance it out a little more. I don't ask for it now, just I hope it will get something like that in the future.

Honestly now I'm just rambling on about Kings Dominion, I'm not even sure what my main point was supposed to be anymore ... Anyways I've already typed it so yeah.

For those more familiar with KD than myself, what is KD's rain policy like?? Is it as bad as Cedar Points??

No, they actually have a very lenient rain policy. I've never see them shut a ride down for rain besides the Go Karts and I've been there in steady rain on more than one occasion (recently). They might close rides in heavy rain though and part of me feels like Avalanche might have problems with rain and I've just never noticed. Sometimes Bobsleds do so I'm just guessing. Ricochet may also but last time we were there we rode it in a light rain.

My issue with KD is that with the exception of Volcano and Avalanche none of the coasters there make me want to come back and ride over and over.

Hurler - much too rough and usually only ride once or none at all

RY - not bad will usually ride it 1-2 times

Grizzly - too rough IMHO and once is enough

IJ - boring

I305 - good ride but a little rougher (the whips left and right are painful for me) than I would like 1-2 rides maybe

Dominator - its ok but it rattles and bangs around more than any other B&M I have been on 1-2 rides max

Ricochet - only fun to ride with my kid so we can squish each other!

KD is missing that big people eating coaster aka B&M hyper, giga, wing rider etc. The kind you can ride over and over and over again. It can be Intamin I don't care. While I305 is fun its just not something I can do 10 times a visit. With the exception of Alpengeist I could ride all of the coasters at BGW over and over again for the entire day.

While I do not feel the park has been "stiffed" or "ignored" because they have gotten a lot of other great park investments as has already been mentioned I do feel like coaster wise they have been ignored. CP and CW have both gotten MASSIVE statement piece coasters. KI has gotten Diamondback and Banshee also very good rides for the park. Canada's Wonderland has gotten Leviathan and Behemoth two massive rides as well. Yes I know many other CF parks have gotten little over the same time but I do feel like KD is good sized park with good attendance and deserves a big stmt ride. A large wingrider or Fury 325 clone near the front gate or visible from I-95 would be great but it needs to be a people eater for sure.

While I do not feel the park has been "stiffed" or "ignored" because they have gotten a lot of other great park investments as has already been mentioned I do feel like coaster wise they have been ignored. CP and CW have both gotten MASSIVE statement piece coasters. KI has gotten Diamondback and Banshee also very good rides for the park. Canada's Wonderland has gotten Leviathan and Behemoth two massive rides as well. Yes I know many other CF parks have gotten little over the same time but I do feel like KD is good sized park with good attendance and deserves a big stmt ride. A large wingrider or Fury 325 clone near the front gate or visible from I-95 would be great but it needs to be a people eater for sure.

For KD I'd stop thinking Banshee or Fury size and start thinking Patriot or Hydra size. Expecting anything bigger than that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm not thinking they will get anything at all to be honest. Eventually yes they will get a new coaster but it will again be something smaller. I don't CF will be putting anything like any of those coasters at KD. I get the vibe they don't want to make the "coaster investment" there but instead are doing many other things. Not complaining as all the things they have gotten KD needed just saying a nice main event coaster would be great to have is all.

I305 - good ride but a little rougher (the whips left and right are painful for me) than I would like 1-2 rides maybe

Dominator - its ok but it rattles and bangs around more than any other B&M I have been on 1-2 rides max

PS: Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster are criminally underrated.

PSS: Drop Tower, Delerium, Shenandoah Lumber Company, the Crypt, the Flyers and the rest of the coasters are all solid too (though your mileage may vary on Anaconda).

Every time I hear someone complain because their homepark "only has 13 coasters" and "we deserve a new rollercoaster because we haven't gotten one in 6 years" I want to scream!

In fact... I'm gonna do it right now.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

And among those coasters you have the most intense coaster in America (which is 305 feet tall), arguably the best floorless in America, arguably the best indoor coaster in America outside of Universal (and I might prefer it), and obviously the mythical Skull Mountain, Volcano which is amazing, a great Bobsled and a bunch of others.

And among those coasters you have the most intense coaster in America (which is 305 feet tall), arguably the best floorless in America, arguably the best indoor coaster in America outside of Universal (and I might prefer it), and obviously the mythical Skull Mountain, Volcano which is amazing, a great Bobsled and a bunch of others.

Yet the park is still rated under Carowinds for some reason...

arguably the best indoor coaster in America outside of Universal (and I might prefer it)

Well, let's not go crazy here. I like Flight of Fear, but I would rather ride either of the U.S. Space Mountains.