TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^Honestly, it seems that the small parks only saw their largest investments in getting the "basics" that would commonly be seen at major parks (with the exception of the absence of a Morgan hyper at MiA). Since that is completed, they havent seen any significant investment since - and won't, on this trend.

Edit - I think Valleyfair and Canada's Wonderland are next on the coaster list. My reasoning? CW gets huge crowds, and Valleyfair is my home park.

Valleyfair being your homepark isn't a very good reasoning of why it's " supposedly " on the next coaster list. CW is the only debatable one though.

I'm absoultely certain that was a knock on KD fans.

Joke => your head ==> joke goes over

Hm, no wonder why I didn't get it.

Lol. Theres no algorithm for when a park will get a new ride/roller coaster/any sort of investment. Trying to find patterns from the past will get you nowhere. Making large scale investments isn't predetermined, it's decided upon after market research, evaluating operating efficiency, determining the ROI, etc. This whole website has devolved into every thread overthinking the hell out of everything. Be happy that theme parks exist at all lol.

Getting back on a less aggravating topic...

I've never been to a Cedar Fair Haunt before and plan on picking up CF 2016 platinum passes for a Cedar Point/Kings Island trip. With the free 2015 visit, living reasonably close to Kings Dominion, I'm planning on visiting sometime Columbus Day weekend.

What's the best day for this particular weekend? I enjoy Halloween events and mazes, but have only been to SF events. Are there any fees associated with the mazes? They're not a top priority (night rides on I-305 take that crown), but if the lines are reasonable I'd like to do the better mazes if possible. I'll be there open to close (or at least 9pm) in all likelihood since I've had SF passes the last few years and am finally switching over with next summer's plans unfolding.

Any info is appreciated!

^ Cedar Fair's Halloween events are treated like Universal does HHN and Disney does the Not So Scary party. They're separately ticketed events that you do not have access to with a season pass. They're discounted for passholders but not included. I'm not sure of the exact details of the free 2015 visit, but I'd bet dollars to donuts it's for regular operating hours, not for the haunt.

^Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking through the KD site and I can't find anything about restrictions for the free visit other than any "regular operating day." Can anyone shed some more light on this? Do they kick you out of the park when Haunt starts (is that 7pm?) or would you just have to buy the separate ticket to experience the mazes? If you're still allowed in the park and can continue riding coasters that's totally fine with me.

^ Nope. Regular oeprating hours end, the park is closed for about 2 hours, then reopens for haunt. For example, Knott's Scary Farm runs from 7pm-1am or 2am. The park is open during the day from 10am-5:30pm. If you're in line at 5:29pm you'll be able to ride but it's treated like the end of any other day. You will get off the ride and head to the exit. IF you would like to re-enter for the haunt you will need to buy a separate ticket. They may give you a season pass discount if you're lucky, but it'll only be a $5 discount.

^That kinda sucks but I totally get why they do it. Thanks for the info.

With that in mind it seems that the park doesn't open until 1 on Sunday, Oct. 11, so going the previous Friday or Saturday makes more sense just because it's open an additional 3 hours before Haunt. Is it a good assumption that Friday, Oct. 9th would be the best day to go on Columbus Day weekend to have the best opportunity for multiple rides on the major coasters? How are crowds during the day in October compared to the same day of the week in the Summer?

Halloween Haunt at Kings Dominion is NOT a separate ticketed event. There are 2-3 parks in the Cedar Fair park chain that treat Haunt as a separate ticketed event, such as Knott's Berry Farm and Carowinds.

Kings Dominion Haunt event is included in your general admission ticket. Haunt runs on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings. No Haunt the 1st Sunday (09/27 | park open 10:30 am - 8:00 pm).

Fridays

Hours: 7:00 pm - Midnight

Notes: All Haunt Attractions open at 7:00 pm.

Children's area/rides CLOSED. NO kids Halloween Activities.

Select "Adult" rides and food locations open.

Saturdays

Hours: 10:30 am - Midnight

Notes: Staggered Haunt Attraction openings. (About 1/2 Mazes open at 6:00 pm. The rest of the mazes and scare-zones open at 7:00 pm.

Children's area/rides open 10:30 am - 7:00 pm.

Special kid's Halloween activities 12 noon till 5:00 pm.

Sundays

Hours: 10:30 am - 10:00 pm (in October)

Notes: Staggered Haunt Attraction openings. (About 1/2 Mazes open at 6:00 pm. The rest of the mazes and scare-zones open at 7:00 pm.

Children's area/rides open 10:30 am - 7:00 pm.

Special kid's Halloween activities 12 noon till 5:00 pm.

Fridays are best if your focus is on doing the Haunt Attractions along with some rides. The crowds are light and short lines for everything. Ticket price for Haunt is lower on that night.

Saturdays are busy the first couple weekends of Haunt. It goes from busy to crazy from mid-October till the end of Haunt (last 3 Saturdays in October). Probably will need to purchase a Fright-lane FOL pass for Haunt maze attractions; else, you might not get through everything in one evening.

Saturday and Sunday daytime stuff for young kids during the day. Less folks visit on Sunday than Saturday. Haunt has way less crowds on Sunday as well. Admission prices on Sunday are lower as well.

Hope this helps.

I'm new here, but a long time lurker.

I'm going to Kings Dominion tomorrow, but it's supposed to be raining on and off all day. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on their rain policy with their rides? It's going to be my first time there, and I don't want to miss anything because of the rain.

I'm new here, but a long time lurker.

I'm going to Kings Dominion tomorrow, but it's supposed to be raining on and off all day. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on their rain policy with their rides? It's going to be my first time there, and I don't want to miss anything because of the rain.

As long as there isn't thunderstorms, you should be fine. Even Volcano doesn't close in heavy rain from my experience! Mark my word, however. I305 hurts like hell in the rain! Anyways, if it's just rain then you will be fine.

If you ride something like I305 in the rain, be prepared for 2-3 minutes of little to no oxygen

The rain is so insane you almost don't even get a chance to breathe.

Speaking of coasters in inclement weather, could you imagine how cool it would be to ride a coaster in heavy fog? The lift hill would practically invisible, and you wouldn't even be able to see the elements more than 5 feet ahead of you haha

If you ride something like I305 in the rain, be prepared for 2-3 minutes of little to no oxygen

Speaking of coasters in inclement weather, could you imagine how cool it would be to ride a coaster in heavy fog? The lift hill would practically invisible, and you wouldn't even be able to see the elements more than 5 feet ahead of you haha

Heavy fog + roller coaster? Yes please!!! Also, Kings Dominion does have one weird thing that I sort of understand but I think it is kind of pointless. They close Flight of Fear during heavy rain. Not just thunderstorms, but heavy rain. It happened when I went in mid-July. Could that possibly be because of a flooding concern? Water does pond up in that area rather quickly. Anyone know for sure?

Heavy fog + roller coaster? Yes please!!! Also, Kings Dominion does have one weird thing that I sort of understand but I think it is kind of pointless. They close Flight of Fear during heavy rain. Not just thunderstorms, but heavy rain. It happened when I went in mid-July. Could that possibly be because of a flooding concern? Water does pond up in that area rather quickly. Anyone know for sure?

Flight of Fear doesn't close for rain, only for lightning. There is a individual who keeps an eye on lightning strikes within a certain radius of the park.

I've heard that Drop Tower might get repainted for 2016. If they do they should go with red and green stripes; would look cool with the Candy Apple theme.

GURLLLLLL you've heard a lot of things from what I've seen on this thread lol. If we go off of things you've heard, Kings Dominion is the new Cedar Point

I've heard that Drop Tower might get repainted for 2016. If they do they should go with red and green stripes; would look cool with the Candy Apple theme.

GURLLLLLL you've heard a lot of things from what I've seen on this thread lol. If we go off of things you've heard, Kings Dominion is the new Cedar Point

Fanboy logic

Surprisingly Shockwave in the rain was intense as well.