TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Does anyone what that unused station at volcano is used for? It's gotten me a bit curious

No Tee1999, it's not going to be used for a TrioTech dark ride.

Dual loading station possibly? (PLEEEAASSSE!!!!!)

No madmax, i wasn't implying or speculating a new ride like you do on a daily basis. It doesn't even look like a triotech would even fit there. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Does anyone what that unused station at volcano is used for? It's gotten me a bit curious

No Tee1999, it's not going to be used for a TrioTech dark ride.

Dual loading station possibly? (PLEEEAASSSE!!!!!)

No madmax, i wasn't implying or speculating a new ride like you do on a daily basis. It doesn't even look like a triotech would even fit there. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Okay then.

I believe this is what you're talking about?

01b.jpg.9a5e711dc4caf9d6ffdc8e306cfbaefa.jpg

Photo Credit :cfc

That used to be the station for the old Smurf Mountain ride. You can get a better look on it when on Avalanche's lift hill.

I believe this is what you're talking about?

[attachment=0]01b.jpg[/attachment]

That used to be the station for the old Smurf Mountain ride. You can get a better look on it when on Avalanche's lift hill.

Yeah that's what i was talking about every time i ride avalanche i try to get a look inside there but i can't.

Gatekeeper, and Wild Eagle are great rides.

You must have a very loose definition for "great".

Seeing as how more than one or more has been built every year since its debut proves otherwise. Also, GateKeeper and Wild Eagle both draw massive crowds at their respective parks with arguably better coasters. They will continue to be built, and the small enthusiasts community mindset of what makes a great coaster is still irrelevant.

They will continue to be built, and the small enthusiasts community mindset of what makes a great coaster is still irrelevant.

Personally, I DO think the three B&M Wing Coasters I have ridden are "Great" coasters (GateKeeper and Thunderbird are at least - X-Flight is "Very Good"), and the GP seems to eat them up as well! Why, just the other week my wife went with a group of people to CP, all but one of them who were new to GK, and they all thought it was a "great" coaster. The ONLY place I have seen any less than stellar opinions of the rides are in "enthusiast" circles...

They will continue to be built, and the small enthusiasts community mindset of what makes a great coaster is still irrelevant.

Personally, I DO think the three B&M Wing Coasters I have ridden are "Great" coasters (GateKeeper and Thunderbird are at least - X-Flight is "Very Good"), and the GP seems to eat them up as well! Why, just the other week my wife went with a group of people to CP, all but one of them who were new to GK, and they all thought it was a "great" coaster. The ONLY place I have seen any less than stellar opinions of the rides are in "enthusiast" circles...

Guilty

I'm telling you right now, Wingriders have not reached their full potential. There, I said it. Looking at the design style of these wingriders it seems B&M is playing it very safe, more than usual. Wingriders are all about the exaggerated horizontal heartline which makes any banking transition more intense/exaggerated. Right now Thunderbird is probably the one that uses that to it's advantage the most. Most wingriders have been about the inversions, but a wingrider that takes full advantage of the winged seating instead of just having inversions will be incredible. Think something with a lot of banking transitions and s-hills, as well as Zero-G rolls with different lead ins and lead outs. The wingrider despite being built many times still feels prototype-ish and I feel that when the right client goes to B&M to build another wingrider and they're ready to take the next step, the wingrider concept will completely evolve

^I felt the same way when B&M's Flying Coasters came out. They were pretty basic, and not overly exciting. I saw the potential in them, however, once they utilized their unique riding position, and existing terrain, and better elements. Now, since Tatsu, the newer models have been doing this, and are decidedly more exciting than the early versions! I don't even think they've reached their full potential yet. Maybe we'll see something close to that with what they're building at Universal Studios Japan.

Like I said before, I have enjoyed all of the Wingriders I've been on so far. I agree with what you're saying, though... There is still so much more than can be done with the model, and concept, than they've even tapped into yet! I'm definitely excited to see what the next 5-10 years provide as far as further enhancements to the design, and also whether Intamin makes any more, as they're always good for pushing the boundaries!

Seeing as how more than one or more has been built every year since its debut proves otherwise.

Hmm--using this logic, Vekoma Boomerangs and SLCs must be the greatest rides ever created.

I'm not a big fan of the Wing coasters, although I did enjoy Wild Eagle at Dollywood (much more that X-Flight or Gatekeeper), and I'm looking forward to riding Thunderbird someday.

Seeing as how more than one or more has been built every year since its debut proves otherwise.

Hmm--using this logic, Vekoma Boomerangs and SLCs must be the greatest rides ever created.

I'm not a big fan of the Wing coasters, although I did enjoy Wild Eagle at Dollywood (much more that X-Flight or Gatekeeper), and I'm looking forward to riding Thunderbird someday.

I do agree that Wild Eagle is a really enjoyable and re-ridable coaster. Gatekeeper, on the other hand, is less impressive.

I do agree that Wild Eagle is a really enjoyable and re-ridable coaster. Gatekeeper, on the other hand, is less impressive.

See, they can be very enjoyable coasters. I'm sure if KD were to receive one, it would easily be in the top 3 ridden rides at the park.

See, they can be very enjoyable coasters. I'm sure if KD were to receive one, it would easily be in the top 3 ridden rides at the park.

Watch as the Cedar Point fanboys claim it's a rip-off of Gatekeper.

Watch as the Cedar Point fanboys claim it's a rip-off of Gatekeper.

Why anyone would wanna rip off Gatekeeper is beyond me!

CPFB cry in 3.2.1

If I were to put aside my enthusiast glasses, I think a wing rider would be a great addition to the park. They're high-capacity rides that look impressive and the GP seem to love them. Assuming KD's opened in 2017, it would be the first one on the East Coast with the closest one being six and a half hours away (Wild Eagle).

That said, if KD gets a B&M I'd really prefer an inverted. If I'm going full-on enthusiast, I'd love to see an Intamin.

Just curious, but someone earlier in this thread stated that Kings Dominion still has a good relationship with Intamin. Anyone know the basis for that statement? I'm assuming the park has to have some sort of relationship with Intamin because of support for I305, Volcano, and Drop Tower. I'm not sure beyond this why the relationship might be better than any other Cedar Fair park. Someone may have mentioned Pat Jones saying this but I'm not sure that she would come right out and say publicly, "Yeah. Our relationship with Intamin is currently in the toilet."

I think a wing coaster (once again) would be perfect for KD! I've only ridden 2 and thet are fun rides. (I don't understand the hate for Gatekeeper. It's not BAD, yet people talk so much s**t about it.) I wonder if there is a possibility of the 'Fury' name being used. (Intimidator, I305).

I think a wing coaster (once again) would be perfect for KD! I've only ridden 2 and thet are fun rides. (I don't understand the hate for Gatekeeper. It's not BAD, yet people talk so much s**t about it.) I wonder if there is a possibility of the 'Fury' name being used. (Intimidator, I305).

Please no Fury. I want an original name.'

Also I seriously wouldn't be surprised at a Mack coaster of some sort.