TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Am I the only one who doesn't adore Volcano? I think it's launches are great, and so is the first inversion, but after that it's somewhat boring and repetitive. I enjoy Dominator much more than Volcano to be honest, and often feel like the minority in this community.

I don't adore it really, to me Dominator is the best coaster at the park . Volcanos launches are really amazing though and IMO they are my favorite launches on a coaster. I think people think volcano is really good because they don't get to ride it as often because of the long lines it can get, and so they don't get bored of it as easily as they would get bored of a ride that is always a walk on.

One thing I love about Volcano is that it's one of the smoothest coasters I've ever been on. No rattling or headbang whatsoever. Dominator does fairly well at that but you still get some jerkiness.

I wish I could experience Volcano without a rattle...

Am I the only one who doesn't adore Volcano? I think it's launches are great, and so is the first inversion, but after that it's somewhat boring and repetitive. I enjoy Dominator much more than Volcano to be honest, and often feel like the minority in this community.

I don't adore it really, to me Dominator is the best coaster at the park . Volcanos launches are really amazing though and IMO they are my favorite launches on a coaster. I think people think volcano is really good because they don't get to ride it as often because of the long lines it can get, and so they don't get bored of it as easily as they would get bored of a ride that is always a walk on.

One thing I love about Volcano is that it's one of the smoothest coasters I've ever been on. No rattling or headbang whatsoever. Dominator does fairly well at that but you still get some jerkiness.

I've only ridden it in the front row though...

Yeah, I've only ridden it in the back half because the line's already long enough, and I am not a patient guy, so no front row for me!

Yeah, I've only ridden it in the back half because the line's already long enough, and I am not a patient guy, so no front row for me!

The line is the same travesty in any row. I'm wondering if Volcano should get four across seating.

The line is the same travesty in any row. I'm wondering if Volcano should get four across seating.

I highly doubt the track is built to withstand those kinds of forces.

I highly doubt the track is built to withstand those kinds of forces.

Possibly 16 rows like the impulse coasters? (The station would have to be altered).

Just came back from Kd, the park wasn't really that busy but it was still a little crowded by the volcano. Man I have a massive headache from rebel yell and hurler. I guess retracking won't save them

Rebel Yell can be VERY temperamental, trust me. Sometimes it can run butter smooth, sometimes it can hurt WORSE than Hurler! Hurler needs to be rebuilt from the bottom to the top. Maybe some Timberliners or Millennium Flyers MIGHT be able to save it? I really do love it's layout, but the turns are just...

Hurler needs to be rebuilt from the bottom to the top. Maybe some Timberliners or Millennium Flyers MIGHT be able to save it? I really do love it's layout, but the turns are just...

Maybe those folks up in Hayden, Idaho can come down and work their magic...

Just came back from Kd, the park wasn't really that busy but it was still a little crowded by the volcano. Man I have a massive headache from rebel yell and hurler. I guess retracking won't save them

Rebel Yell can be VERY temperamental, trust me. Sometimes it can run butter smooth, sometimes it can hurt WORSE than Hurler! Hurler needs to be rebuilt from the bottom to the top. Maybe some Timberliners or Millennium Flyers MIGHT be able to save it? I really do love it's layout, but the turns are just...

The only turn that's awful is the first. The rest are all very bearable. Nothing even remotely close to wildcat lake compounce roughness.

!I think dominator is the best as well

Dominator is definitely one of the better floorless coasters... definitely underrated in my opinion. It's tall, fast, has a nice long layout, and best of all it's actually really forceful. It's actually one of the more forceful B&M's I've ever ridden. Not to mention the drop out of the MCBR is bliss . It's not my very favorite in the park (that right is reserved for I305) but it's definitely in my top 3. For the park, I rank it just a millimeter below Volcano because the launches are just incredible, and feel weird and unnatural (in a good way) on an invert. The theming is great, and for a brief second after the second launch you're in the volcano and you can just see every one of the millions of the supports in the volcano.. that was really trippy and really got me when I rode. I only wish it did something more interesting with it's layout than the repeated heartline rolls, not to say it's boring at all.

Dominator is definitely one of the better floorless coasters... definitely underrated in my opinion. It's tall, fast, has a nice long layout, and best of all it's actually really forceful. It's actually one of the more forceful B&M's I've ever ridden. Not to mention the drop out of the MCBR is bliss . It's not my very favorite in the park (that right is reserved for I305) but it's definitely in my top 3. For the park, I rank it just a millimeter below Volcano because the launches are just incredible, and feel weird and unnatural (in a good way) on an invert. The theming is great, and for a brief second after the second launch you're in the volcano and you can just see every one of the millions of the supports in the volcano.. that was really trippy and really got me when I rode. I only wish it did something more interesting with it's layout than the repeated heartline rolls, not to say it's boring at all.

Dominator is my third favorite coaster at KD, but under I305 and, believe it or not, Flight of Fear. Volcano is my fourth favorite. As I previously stated, Volcano has this odd non-Intamin like rattle to it. Not as bad as Dominators rattle tho Even with the rattle both of the coasters, they are still VERY solid rides. Speaking of rattles, I remember some people calling Shockwave out for being rough and painful, but I found it to be the second smoothest coaster there under I305! Sorry for abruptly changing the topic, but am I the only one who felt like Shockwave was one of Kings Dominions best coasters? I walked on to it expecting the worst, but I gained a slightly obvious addiction to it That helix was just out of this world!

I have never understood the complaints of Dominator's "rattle" I've ridden every row, many times this summer, and ALL of them were glassy smooth, except for one strange kink in the helix before the brake run. Seriously, it executes every element perfectly, even the cobra roll.

I have never understood the complaints of Dominator's "rattle" I've ridden every row, many times this summer, and ALL of them were glassy smooth, except for one strange kink in the helix before the brake run. Seriously, it executes every element perfectly, even the cobra roll.

It's the post-MCBR section with the rattle. It is very noticeable in the corkscrews. You can hear the wheels slamming side to side on the rails, which will eventually make that whole section of track unbelievably rough one day because of the wear it causes. In the back row, it's very noticable, while the front row is glassy smooth and you can only HEAR the rattle from the back rows. What you said about how every row being smooth, did you ride the Geauga Lake Dominator or the KD Dominator? I believe it was MUCH smoother before the relocation.

Thats odd because when i rode it 5 times within an hour the last row of Dominator was one of the smoothest rides I have ever been on.

I don't find it even close to being smooth in the back. In fact, it rattled so bad once that it gave me a headache! I love the back row though, the airtime is something unreal in the back. I just wish it was smoother...

Completely agree with this statement. For whatever reason it was glass smooth when I rode in July. The year before though, it did have a rattle, but barely noticeable and certainly not enough to complain about personally.

^^I feel like the IntaRide coasters like I305 actually should keep the OTSR's, and I think they're a bit necessary. The extremely quick transitions tend to shuffle your torso left and right so it helps to have a restraint that actually keeps your body in place... at least, that's my reasoning. I don't have any statistics to support this but I can't even imagine I305 with lapbars for better or worse.

On an unrelated note, I'm glad this thread has finally calmed down from what happened a while ago. I can finally read without cringing

From my experience, Dominator's front row had quite a bit of a rattle and it wasn't very pleasant. However I found the last row to be smooth and much more enjoyable. That being said Dominator is still a great ride, my second favorite in the park.