TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I hope KD's next coaster is an vekoma inverted jr coaster!

layout_sfc_gronalund.jpg

Something the FAMILY can enjoy . . .

Rather have a B&M. Heck, Shockwave is the only thing worse than a Vekoma.

Ok . . . here you go!

Seriously, KD had like what? 3 true family coasters?

KD has enough kiddie coasters, which is what a junior invert is. A family coaster is something like Firechaser Express or Verbolten. We need a thrilling coaster that's also family friendly. Most B&Ms cover that pretty well, unless you're talking about a giga or giant invert.

KD has enough kiddie coasters, which is what a junior invert is. A family coaster is something like Firechaser Express or Verbolten. We need a thrilling coaster that's also family friendly. Most B&Ms cover that pretty well, unless you're talking about a giga or giant invert.

Dude . . . the park has 2 kiddie coasters, at best, out of 13 coasters. I don't know what beemers you're riding but most are what, a 54 inch height requirement?

Also, if you feel they have enough kiddie coasters, someone can argue they have enought adult coasters as well . . .

If you want to see pointless and unrealistic 5-year park plan predictions, go watch Coaster Studios.

He's a coaster fan like any one of us.

I don't know how people could be annoyed by him. He's very professional and respects his fans and even his haters a lot.

Dude . . . the park has 2 kiddie coasters, at best, out of 13 coasters. I don't know what beemers you're riding but most are what, a 54 inch height requirement?

Also, if you feel they have enough kiddie coasters, someone can argue they have enought adult coasters as well . . .

Why would they need more than 2 kiddie coasters? Most parks have no more than 2.

Also someone posted that the park is interested in bringing in a B&M and even an Intamin so don't expect a kiddie coaster anytime soon.

Why would they need more than 9 adult coasters? FAMILIES go to parks and spend. I get it . . . you're young. Once you have to take some little ones to the park and get to that age when they are tired of riding the great pumpkin coaster but isn't tall enough for volcano or dominator you will then understand.

And you do know it takes nothing for someone to make a post saying the park is looking to bring (insert any coaster designer) to the park right?

Why would they need more than 9 adult coasters? FAMILIES go to parks and spend. I get it . . . you're young. Once you have to take some little ones to the park and get to that age when they are tired of riding the great pumpkin coaster but isn't tall enough for volcano or dominator you will then understand.

And you do know it takes nothing for someone to make a post saying the park is looking to bring (insert any coaster designer) to the park right?

Here's their collection of 48 in or lower coasters: Woodstock, Backlot, Hurler, Grizzly, Avalanche, Rebel Yell, Riccochet, Anaconda, Pumpkin Coaster. Not to mention the numerous family friendly rides there, or the massive Planet Snoopy. Kings Dominion has enough in the kid/young family category.

Why would we need a 3rd kiddie coaster? Jarvis, normally I agree with your opinions, but minus the height requirements, most of the rides are extremely family friendly.

Family friendly/good starters:

-Taxi Jam (hasn't it been renamed?)

-Woodstock Express

-Ricochet

-Avalanche

-Backlot Stunt Coaster

Intermediate:

-Hurler & Grizzly - If these were smoother, they'd definitely be in the last category

-Rebel Yell

-Anaconda

Top level:

-I305

-Dominator

-Volcano

-Flight of Fear

Compare that to a competitor like BG:

Family/good starters:

-Grover's Alpine Express

-Verbolten

Intermediate:

-Loch Ness Monster

Thrilling:

-Griffon

-Apollo's Chariot

-Alpengeist

-Tempesto

Busch does incredibly well in the family department, and forest of fun and Land of the Dragons are much smaller than Planet Snoopy. In addition, the majority of their coasters are of the "top tier" variety.

As you can see, we are in absolutely no shortage or need of any family friendly/kid coasters. Just because Carowinds has far more family/intermediate oriented coasters than it does thrilling coasters doesn't mean that's what KD needs as well. There are really only 3 "top tier" coasters at Carowinds - Fury, I232, and Afterburn (all of which are amazing, BTW). Just because your home park is the outlier in this situation doesn't make other parks have a sudden thirst for kiddie coasters.

**Italics denote an edit

If you want to see pointless and unrealistic 5-year park plan predictions, go watch Coaster Studios.

He's a coaster fan like any one of us.

The picture people sent to him of the Valravn track that he posted on FB was pretty good. Of course the pictures appeared any other places too. Who knows.

For MiA don't worry, its on the uprising. There is nothing CF can do. Jk. Screw MiA. CP and CW FTW!

I agree a lot of rides are family friendly to us but going to the website, KD doesn't consider a lot of what was named "family friendly". Im talking about rides (particularly coasters) between 40-48 height requirement. Most families go by what they see on the site, and they see like 3 coasters they would consider allowing their kids big enough to ride. Im just saying, if the park is in a severe NEED of a coaster, a nice new kiddie/family coaster that caters to the 40-48 inch crowd seems ideal to me.

And actually, I consider Universal my "home park" as I am there more in a year than any other park . . .

I agree a lot of rides are family friendly to us but going to the website, KD doesn't consider a lot of what was named "family friendly". Im talking about rides (particularly coasters) between 40-48 height requirement. Most families go by what they see on the site, and they see like 3 coasters they would consider allowing their kids big enough to ride. Im just saying, if the park is in a severe NEED of a coaster, a nice new kiddie/family coaster that caters to the 40-48 inch crowd seems ideal to me.

And actually, I consider Universal my "home park" as I am there more in a year than any other park . . .

Under 48 inch rides are a dying breed, unless it's a boring kiddie coaster.

I wonder what the first complaint will be when the next coaster is announced.

It's forceless; or, to be more precise, "Not as good as I-305."

"1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype."

Depends on the manufacturer. If it's a B&M, well, uninspired and boring come to mind. If it's Premier it'll be about the shin guards. If it's a woodie it'll be complaints that it's not RMC. The list goes on.

I hope KD's next coaster is an vekoma inverted jr coaster!

layout_sfc_gronalund.jpg

Something the FAMILY can enjoy . . .

Rather have a B&M. Heck, Shockwave is the only thing worse than a Vekoma.

Does every other post on this forum require some ridiculous insult of a ride or manufacturer?

Perhaps you'd like to be judged only on what you did back in the 90s. Besides, the coaster pictured is a recently designed family suspended coaster. Have you ridden a Vekoma family coaster? Or a recently designed suspended coaster by anyone? With lap bars and no floor? B&M doesn't make them. Their site shows some intriguing pictures of them going through overbanked curves.

I think the park could use a better family coaster, not that I'm rooting for that. Of those possibilities, the Vekoma suspended does look like an enjoyable ride. I think something based on running through an artificial landscape, or truly through the woods, would be the real trick for making a fun family coaster, though, regardless of track type.

I recently looked at Google Maps and see the factory south of the park is a paper company on the left and "Doswell Limited Partnership" on the right, including what looks like 2 sewer treatment pools. You can smell them strongly sometimes and slightly quite often, even as it is. I don't think the park will extend much in that direction. Plus, there's the issue of even more walking, with clearly no plans for transport around the park.

It's forceless; or, to be more precise, "Not as good as I-305."

Unless KD is planning on building another fast & constantly low-to-the ground coaster, with quick-directional changes, prepare for masses of complaints. Basically, anything that isn't an Intamin giga...err Intimidator 305 will be sh*tted on by KD fanboys.

"B&M Giga coaster 1 doesn't have enough quick directional changes for me."

"B&M Wing Coaster 1 isn't Intimidator 305 enough for me!"

"Intamin rocket coaster 1 has 300 moments of floater, but only 1 moment of ejector. Such a waste!"