TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^I was rather impressed by Carowinds' "Taste of the Carolinas" festival last spring, and KD offered some good stuff during their "Spring Bloom Fest," too. It's good to see more parks upgrading their cuisine.

There's speculation that Kings Dominion's Country Kitchen expansion might be into a Harmony Hall or Midway Market-type restaurant. If so, that would be a huge boost to the park's pretty decent (albeit overpriced) food offerings. I visited Carowinds in the spring and Cedar Point two weeks ago, and I ate at Midway Market and it was second maybe only to Disney in terms of quality (and yes, I've eaten at BGW before ). Although I didn't eat at Harmony Hall, it looked pretty impressive.

Does anyone else agree?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a SlingShot next year next to Delirium. If they did, I'm thinking that they'll position the ticket booth for the ride so that you have to walk by it as you exit Delirium.

While I would personally rather see it get topper track, Hurler could be replaced. Also they have lots of unused land if you look at Google maps, assuming they're willing to expand outwards.

Where? They are most likely going to look somewhere near the front.

Anyone remember this?

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

BREAKING NEWS: FURY 325 CURES CANCER.

I was looking online and on KD website it says I can get tickets for my friends for 40 bucks with my season pass. Does anyone know if you have to pre purchase those tickets or can I get the discounted admission at the gate with my platinum pass?

Kings Dominion Haunt site is up now.

Mazes: Club Blood

CornStalkers

Doll Factory

Lockdown (NEW)

Maze of Madness

No Vacancy

Slaughter House

Tollway Terror (NEW)

Zombie High

Scare Zones: Cleaver Brothers Carnival

Feary Tales

IronWorx

Necropolis

Primevil: The Kuru Curse

The Lair

Shows: Blood Drums

Haunted House 3-D

Overlord's Scaremony (NEW)

Skeleton Crew

The Mob

Unstrung (NEW)

I went to Kings Dominion July 4th on my summer theme park trip and I never posted my trip report so...

Kings Dominion 2015 summer trip

So my first theme park of the trip was Kings Dominion. I hadn’t been here since 2013 and when I went I305 was closed. I myself am an Intamin lover and I always make trips just for these Intamin coasters. We went to Kings Dominion on July 4th and it was pretty crowded. There was also a 50% chance of rain which haunted me for about two weeks but it only rained for a little so it wasn’t to be.

I also took these pics with an Iphone 5c. Also some of them were taken on snapchat.

Kings Dominions front gate always amazes me. It is definitely up there as one of the greatest theme park entrances.

After we took a quick photo by the front gate me and my little sister went ahead and got online for Berserker. This is the third Intamin Starship that we have ridden and they are all fun but a little bit painful. After that I got a call from my dad and he said he was by I305 and that there was no line. Me and my sister immediately bolted there and sure enough there was no line!

My dad said that my sister should wait on this one after hearing about how intense it was. It was also going to be my 150th coaster.

INTIMIDATOR 305 Review!!!

So as soon as I got to the I305 area of the park I saw that there was no line so I immediately got on line for it with my dad. I wanted to do the front row for my first ride but the line was a good 15mins and everything else was about a one train wait so we just went ahead and did the last row. The harnesses were super comfy even though they squeeze your head a little when you put it on. We then heard the gentlemen start your engine thing and we speed up that lift hill like no tomorrow. As we reached the top of the lift hill all I could see were the woods straight out and the tiny rebel yell to my right. I threw up my hands and then I was then immediately yanked down the lift hill and was ripped to the right on an amazing grey out inducing turn. Me and my dad started shouting that we greyed out along the first turn. We started going up the ejector airtime hill and we then regained our vision. We then were thrown left and ejected then thrown left again then right then left then another wide right turn. Every fast turn ejected me out of my seat and gave me little time to breath. We then went up another airtime hill with trim braked that provided floater air that was better than most B&M’s. After that we went into another floater air turn that dived to the left. I was already wowed by this point but then we entered another twist and I was once again ejected out of my seat into the shoulder restraint. We then dove into the break run. Me and my dad were both speechless…

Oh my… This has to be the best coaster ever created. I knew it was going to be amazing but I wasn’t expected it to be this good. It even took Skyrush out for my number one spot. I recommend everyone who loves riding coasters to go check this out!!! Its amazing!!!

(I also ended up riding it about 14x threw out the day because of how good it was)

After that I rode Flight of Fear which is always fun. Definitely better than the other version of it at Kings Island which I will talk about later on…

Then we went to Volcano and saw that the line was spilling out the entrance…. Nope! We then saw that there was a plinko for Volcano and I always win these. I won the Fury 325 one twice in a row and also won the Maverick one at Cedar Point. So you guessed it, I won! We then went in through the exit and were about to get on. But it broke down… They gave us the exit pass back and I just decided to do the Crypt alone. No one else in my group wanted to ride. It was fun as always and all the affects were working. I hope they don’t get rid of this ride anytime soon.

After that Volcano opened back up and me and my sister got on through the regular line because it looked to be a short wait. We waited about 15-20mins and then got on. Volcano was awesome as always but it feels a little too short. I wish Intamin could have added a loop or something more to it. It is still the second best ride in the park…

After that we did Anaconda and it was decent. Not to bad... Hopefully they will replace it with something cooler and smoother.

I’m not going to go into every little detail because I have already done a trip report for this park and I also have a lot of school work to do. I rode a lot of stuff and definitely made the most out of my day…

Here are a few more reviews…

Dominator- Still one of the best B&M roller coasters out there. I have been on majority of the floorless roller coasters from B&M and this one awesome. Not as good as Kraken but better the Rougarou! 8/10

Grizzly- It’s like a mini version of the Beast but a lot bumpier and with more air time. Still a cool coaster. 5/10

Volcano- 9/10

Intimidator 305- 10/10

Hurler- This ride sucks so much. The one at Carowinds sucks also. They just shuffle around little hills that have no air time and it has a very basic layout. Can Cedar Fair please knock down both of them and put Intamin Blitz’s in there spots… 2/10

Backlot Stunt Coaster- Cool little launch coaster. It goes fast and has nice transitions. A little bumpy but still very cool! 6/10

Flight Of Fear- 8/10

Ghoster Coaster- Smooth and fun. It even had some ejector air in the last row. 5/10

Anaconda- 5/10

Avalanche- Smooth and fun. It has a bit of an awkward seating arrangement… Lol 6/10

All the other coasters I had ridden on my 2013 visit so I either didn’t care for them or didn’t get to them…

Sorry I missed you Rebel Yell…

Not missing you Shockwave, you were awful and won’t be missed…

Me and Dad riding Intimidator 305!

On the way out I said hello to Pat Jones. I meet her the time I came in 2013 and I wrote her a letter before I came to the park so she remembered who I was. I talked to her about roller coasters and I told her how I would love to see another Intamin. She told me that she loves Intamin and that she would definitely buy from them again. But then we talked about other company’s and the Hypersonic XLC which I never got a chance to ride. She also told informed me that “There is definitely room for a B&M here”. She said that they are missing that B&M floaty coaster and that she would love to have one. We’ll just have to wait and see what they receive…

^^ Sounds like you had a great time! It's too bad you couldn't ride Rebel Yell. It's a severely underrated wooden coaster. Will provide great ejector airtime. Also, I can agree that KD's entrance and landscaping are phenomenal! Reminds me of Holliday World a bit.

As for the speculated future, the one problem I see with a B&M hyper is that it would be too similar to Apollo's Chariot. I think a wingrider with a Fury type layout plus inversions would be sweet. Also I's rather see it with the woody terrain in the back than copying other Cedar Fair parks in the front. It would work with the feel of Kings Dominion.

Edited by madmax

^^ Sounds like you had a great time! It's too bad you couldn't ride Rebel Yell. It's a severely underrated wooden coaster. Will provide great ejector airtime. Also, I can agree that KD's entrance and landscaping are phenomenal! Reminds me of Holliday World a bit.

As for the speculated future, the one problem I see with a B&M hyper is that it would be too similar to Apollo's Chariot. I think a wingrider with a Fury type layout plus inversions would be sweet. Also I's rather see it with the woody terrain on the back then copying other Cedar Fair parks in the front. It would work with the feel of Kings Dominion.

The thing is I don't know where they could put a b&m ride at... maybe a removal of blue ridge tollway?

As for the speculated future, the one problem I see with a B&M hyper is that it would be too similar to Apollo's Chariot. I think a wingrider with a Fury type layout plus inversions would be sweet. Also I's rather see it with the woody terrain on the back then copying other Cedar Fair parks in the front. It would work with the feel of Kings Dominion.

The thing is I don't know where they could put a b&m ride at... maybe a removal of blue ridge tollway?

They could put the ride literally anywhere. Parks in general, and Kings Dominion specifically, are never "out of room." There are always things that can be done, area to expand, etc.

If they have a few hundred square feet for a station, they have room for a coaster. People thought there wasn't enough room for a new coaster at Cedar Point after Mantis, and guess what... they built Millennium Force.

They could put the ride literally anywhere. Parks in general, and Kings Dominion specifically, are never "out of room." There are always things that can be done, area to expand, etc.

If they have a few hundred square feet for a station, they have room for a coaster. People thought there wasn't enough room for a new coaster at Cedar Point after Mantis, and guess what... they built Millennium Force.

There's tons of unused land in the back of the park. I could totally see a B&M working with the woody terrain. Also, KD will never remove the tollway. They want to keep the family aspect of the park.

^Agreed! When you think there's no room, they take out some trees, build over rides, and tear things down. I love coasters that interact with other parts of the park more than one that's just in plain space. Except I-305, that still holds special to my heart

^Agreed! When you think there's no room, they take out some trees, build over rides, and tear things down. I love coasters that interact with other parts of the park more than one that's just in plain space. Except I-305, that still holds special to my heart

I've ridden Thunderbird at Holliday World. What makes it by far the best wingrider is not only the launch, but the way it interacts with the woods and its near miss elements. I would love something like Thunderbird at KD near Hurler and Grizzly.