TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I think there's a very high chance that both Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland could be getting a coaster in 2017.

+Cedar point

Cedar Point is probably getting nothing except maybe a few new family rides in 2017, unless Cedar Fair is that much of an @$$hole.

I'm not saying I know exactly how the industry works, but you have absolutely no idea how the industry operates.

I think there's a very high chance that both Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland could be getting a coaster in 2017.

+Cedar point

Cedar Point is probably getting nothing except maybe a few new family rides in 2017, unless Cedar Fair is that much of an @$$hole.

Do Cedar Fair parks work independently? Out of the 10s of times it's been said, I don't think it ever came to me...

+Cedar point

Do Cedar Fair parks work independently? Out of the 10s of times it's been said, I don't think it ever came to me...

Some people think they do, but they don't Matt Ouimet has total control of everything from planning to approving projects.

What can I expect the crowds to be like tomorrow? I haven't been to KD in a few years and am really excited to get back on I305.

Schools are NOT back in session until September because of "the Kings Dominion law" (true story) however lines should be almost nonexistent. Have a wonderful time, we are going there mid-next week!

One thing I really do love about Kings Dominion is that it doesn't look of feel like the run-of-the-mill Cedar Fair park like others in the chain do. The landscaping is fantastic, the park is mostly surounded by trees (probably why it's so hard to see if from the highway), it's very compact and family-owned felt, there are actually themed areas instead of primarily theming sprinkled throughout the park (okay not Busch Gardens level but much better than the norm of Cedar Fair theming)... It feels more like a family-owned park to me than a park belonging to a mega-corporation.

Also, in most of Northern Virginia the KD law is no longer relevant, so they start August 31st.

Kings Dominion fanboys cry, Why, Why, Why? Why don't we have a new coaster? Here's why. Your attendance records show and have shown you're not in the big leagues. You've been given gift after gift and still no increase in attendance. Meanwhile a park like Carowinds(mostly shunned besides the past 5 years) have kept up the pace with you. Hmmm! Carowinds got Cyclone in '80 and Top Gun in '99 which was a miracle at the time. A few mediocre coasters, terrible water adventures for our summer heat, and being the Michigans Adventure of the south forever. Ring, ring, Gueaga Lake called and said we'll give you a boomerang and KD will get Dominator. You blew it. Carowinds reigns supreme.

Kings Dominion fanboys cry, Why, Why, Why? Why don't we have a new coaster? Here's why. Your attendance records show and have shown you're not in the big leagues. You've been given gift after gift and still no increase in attendance. Meanwhile a park like Carowinds(mostly shunned besides the past 5 years) have kept up the pace with you. Hmmm! Carowinds got Cyclone in '80 and Top Gun in '99 which was a miracle at the time. A few mediocre coasters, terrible water adventures for our summer heat, and being the Michigans Adventure of the south forever. Ring, ring, Gueaga Lake called and said we'll give you a boomerang and KD will get Dominator. You blew it. Carowinds reigns supreme.

Pretty obnoxious tone for your first post. Take it down a notch or you won't be making many more posts.

Guys.

We.

Us.

All of us.

We blew it.

It is us, the enthusiasts who are to blame!

Seriously though, I'd like to know where your statistics are from that attendance didn't increase after our new additions. Or did you just pull that out of your ass like the rest of your post?

Anyways, KD's attendance does show its in the big leagues, obviously not CP, CW, or KBF, but those all have a fairly good reason to have that much attendance (CP - people will come from across the country for the roller coaster, it isn't a regional park, CW - well, its really the only large/good park in Canada... KBF - full year operations totally skew attendance). If you consider Carowinds to be in the big leagues as of this moment, then so is KD.

Could've sworn, could've sworn I just read to have a sense of humor if you want to post. ????? Seems like I hit a big nerve perhaps? Anyways show me numbers to show I'm wrong and I'll retract my statements. I love Carowinds so I have my agenda so I know where places like CGA, MA, and WoF are coming from. Finally the CF Gods are looking down upon us. Whereas other corps dropped the ball.

Bunch of ignorance in this post. We have a reason to complain, and you can get off this discussion if its bothering you that much.

We have a reason to complain, and you can get off this discussion if its bothering you that much.

But do you really have a reason to complain? A roller-coaster isn't the answer to everything. I know it's not America but as I've said before, Korea has two of the worlds most visited parks and the number of roller-coasters across the whole country has actually gone slowly down since 2008 (I think the only roller-coaster since 2008 was a junior vekoma suspended which replaced an old looper) and the crowds still come every year.

Japan isn't quite as bad but a lot of those parks go with huge gaps between new roller-coasters and they still pull in the crowds. Ocean Park is another park that went for a long time between roller-coasters and focused on other additions that still kept the attendance the same or up.

Could've sworn, could've sworn I just read to have a sense of humor if you want to post. ????? Seems like I hit a big nerve perhaps? Anyways show me numbers to show I'm wrong and I'll retract my statements. I love Carowinds so I have my agenda so I know where places like CGA, MA, and WoF are coming from. Finally the CF Gods are looking down upon us. Whereas other corps dropped the ball.

There's a huge difference between having a sense of humor and being a dick. Doesn't matter anyway because you're banned. Bu-bye...

Ps. Nothing you posted was even remotely funny so maybe you should leave the comedy writing to the professionals...

Edited by robbalvey

I'm taking a trip down to Virginia to go to KD this Friday. I am going with a couple first timers to the park. I was curious how crowds have been on Fridays this summer. Friday's always seem to be a crapshoot, we are going to try to get there at open or shortly after. I know Volcano should be the first stop due to low capacity, any other tips? Thanks for your help

Outside of Knott's Berry Farm, I believe Kings Dominion has the greatest competition for local/tourist dollars within the Cedar Fair chain. Within a 100 mile radius of the park, you have a Busch Gardens park in Williamsburg, VA and a Six Flags park in Maryland. BGW is an hour away from KD and SFA 1.5 hours away. So I can see where Kings Dominion share of 2014 income is a little smaller than Carowinds.

Carowinds closest competition is Dollywood which is over 195 miles away from the park (approx. 3.5 hour drive); followed by Six Flags Georgia which is just over 240 miles away (approx. 4.25 hour drive).

With Kings Dominion being my home park, I think Cedar Fair has been very good to KD since taking over in 2006. I am not going to place a yearly "grocery list" of attractions installed since then in my comments. The park is a solid performer for Cedar Fair and corporate management is not ignoring KD. Matt Ouimet and team are working towards rectifying issues with park infrastructure and the park's "perceived image". I think they are meeting that goal; step by step.

Over the last 2-3 seasons, the park has been receiving "place making" face-lifts in most areas of the park; especially last year. The kids area received a complete overhaul with new rides and amenities in 2013. The water park got a makeover and expansion this year. With new attractions and an overhaul/addition of changing areas, restrooms, and food places.

In 2016, we a getting a major ride, "Delirium", and a good chunk of infrastructure improvements for Candy Apple Grove, (3 Food establishments are getting a makeover and one or both bathrooms in that area getting upgraded).

Yes, none of these things is a major coaster; but, they are major improvements that help the bottom line for Kings Dominion. I am sure a major coaster is in the works for the park; but, it looks like that possibility won't be until 2017 at the earliest.

Kings Dominion fanboys cry, Why, Why, Why? Why don't we have a new coaster? Here's why. Your attendance records show and have shown you're not in the big leagues. You've been given gift after gift and still no increase in attendance.

Sounds like a fair deal to me! As much as I would love a new coaster, there is a down side. Actually though, the park was a ghost town in June 2009 and I305 stopped that slide. Attendance wasn't that high in 2010 after it opened, but it bumped up in Aug. 2009 right after the new coaster was announced and has been slowly growing ever since.

Outside of Knott's Berry Farm, I believe Kings Dominion has the greatest competition for local/tourist dollars within the Cedar Fair chain. Within a 100 mile radius of the park, you have a Busch Gardens park in Williamsburg, VA and a Six Flags park in Maryland. BGW is an hour away from KD and SFA 1.5 hours away. So I can see where Kings Dominion share of 2014 income is a little smaller than Carowinds.

Exactly, if KD does nothing, they will eventually lose.

Kings Dominion is a mid-level park, along with Carowinds and Knott's (year round attendance is irrelevant).

It's attendance is enough to warrant a coaster every 5-7 years, instead of 3-4 like the high-level parks. Not sure what KingMoron is taking about.

Also Kings Dominion destroys Carowinds when it comes to park appearance and theming.

I'm taking a trip down to Virginia to go to KD this Friday. I am going with a couple first timers to the park. I was curious how crowds have been on Fridays this summer. Friday's always seem to be a crapshoot, we are going to try to get there at open or shortly after. I know Volcano should be the first stop due to low capacity, any other tips? Thanks for your help

I think you should be fine this Friday, with summer ending and kids preparing to go back to school. And yeah, hitting up Volcano first never hurts, regardless on what the crowds look like.

One of the best flat rides and you can get and its still not good enough

Sounds about right. Same thing happens with coasters. It can be on one the beat coasters out there and people will still complain, and it still won't be good enough. Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

I think people are seriously underestimating how good Giant Frisbees actually are.

Seriously though. "Giant frisbees suck, are hated by the GP, and look terrible" says no one who's ever ridden one.

I put delirium above some of the coasters at KI, and am sure the KD will be the same. I mean, I'm in the minority that didn't hate shockwave, but I'm actually glad to see a good ride go in its spot that doesn't involve taking out shit tons of trees in a great shady portion of the park (which is what a lot of people wanted to happen).

Would a new coaster be nice? Sure. Do they "need one" when they have double digits already, including two of the best coasters in the world? Objectively, not really. Meanwhile a damn solid flatride, they do really need and thankfully the people making the calls both know and have acted on this.

Also, in most of Northern Virginia the KD law is no longer relevant, so they start August 31st.

Had no idea! I did a little research and Loudoun County is starting this year for the first or second time Aug 31. Fairfax County is still in transition as are a few other places. Two friends of mine area teachers at different schools in Ffx Co and they're not starting until Sept 8. Thx for the info!

To whoever asked, the KD Law was passed and in place for many years. It was so that KD would still have adequate staffing until the end of summer. Our schools have always started very late because of it - 2nd week of Sept usually and then go till mid-end June. Yuck. Evidently some counties have petitioned for this to be changed, which I've just learned c/o madmax.

Over the last 2-3 seasons, the park has been receiving "place making" face-lifts in most areas of the park; especially last year. The kids area received a complete overhaul with new rides and amenities in 2013. The water park got a makeover and expansion this year. With new attractions and an overhaul/addition of changing areas, restrooms, and food places. In 2016, we a getting a major ride, "Delirium", and a good chunk of infrastructure improvements for Candy Apple Grove, (3 Food establishments are getting a makeover and one or both bathrooms in that area getting upgraded).

As much as I'd love to see a new coaster installed at KD next season, I am actually really thankful that they are doing these improvements first to Snoopyville, restrooms, food places, landscaping, etc. It's like going to a really nice new restaurant and using their bathroom only to find it nasty, poor lights, door doesn't latch, no water pressure in the sink, toilet paper holder is busted. All you can think of is, "they opened this place and have great food, this is a giant oversight and the bathroom makes me want to go bathe in Lysol!" The devil is in the details which is something a lot of CF parks get nagged on. Sprucing up the place goes a long way to making the park experience a nicer one. I go to KD at least once a season and over the last 5 years can absolutely say I've seen the place grow leaps and bounds just by giving it a bit of TLC. Before they install another $20mil ride, let's make sure the water fountains work and there's a few hanging flower baskets to keep the atmosphere cheery. Very pleased with this. I'm looking forward to a frisbee and am excited to see other parks get coaster installations while waiting for whenever we end up with another coaster at KD. In the meantime, their great collection of flat rides continues to grow. These are the rides I look forward to riding next week:

Rebel Yell

Volcano

I305

Backlot Stunt Coaster

Woodstock Express

*Boo Blasters

*Berserker

Ricochet

*Bad Apple

*Drop Tower

Eiffel Tower

Avalanche bobsleds

*Swings

*Carousel

*Log flume

In no order whatsoever, using that list above there's 7 starred items as flat rides, 9 if you count wild maus & avalanche, 10 if including the Eiffel Tower. Adding Delirium next year boosts that number to a possible 11 flats every visit that I want to ride which doesn't even touch the 5 coasters I enjoy. I left off plenty of other flat rides and several other roller coasters that I personally don't care to ride except on a rare occasion. While other members of my group enjoy the rides I prefer to skip I take a seat in the shade under a large tree and watch them ride. Add a show, maybe mix in some antique cars or ferris wheel and my day is packed!

I'll also say that I'm one of the few who LOVE Dinosaurs Alive! KD's version is hidden completely in the woods so it's an immersive and shady experience. Love me some dinos!

^I was rather impressed by Carowinds' "Taste of the Carolinas" festival last spring, and KD offered some good stuff during their "Spring Bloom Fest," too. It's good to see more parks upgrading their cuisine.