TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Honestly I think Cedar Fair is clueless. Number one, they are so conservative that it comes across as annoying. I think only making big investments in your top few parks is complete greed. Cedar Point getting a dive coaster? Really? 3 years after GateKeeper? The reason other parks don't get the attendance is because Cedar Fair won't allow them to. Six Flags knows how to distribute care fairly to their parks, and that's why we're seeing new coasters at places like Discovery Kingdom, Fiesta Texas, and Mexico.

Number two, they don't want to work with anybody except B&M, with the sole exception of GoldStriker. Yes, B&M is a fantastic company, but they are so expensive that you can only afford one coaster in the chain per year. RMC wants to work with Cedar Fair, but they won't let them. Intamin wants to work with Cedar Fair, but they won't let them. Even after seeing the success of coasters like Iron Rattler and Wicked Cyclone they won't work with anyone else. Not to mention CHEAPER!!!!

What do you expect? it's cedar fair. Big parks like Cedar point, kings island, Canada wonderland, Carrowinds, and knotts seem to get all the special attention. Yes, Delirium is a great addition to the park, but with shockwave gone that just lowered our coaster count. I've been on the Canada wonderland part of the site and they're complaining about not getting a coaster while they just recently got a dark ride and getting 2 awesome flats next year. Until we get a coaster, people won't stop complaining on the forum. And Canada wonderland seems likely to get a coaster in 2017 so I guess that leave us until 2018 since cedar fair loves to give one park one big ride per year.

Now to change the topic once again, is anyone excited for delirium? I've always wanted to ride a frisbee ride.

1. Knott's is not one of their attention parks. Last major coaster was Silver Bullet in 2004.

2. Them being "Cedar Fair" is not an excuse. Even when Six Flags constantly adds coasters to Magic Mountain, they give love to their other parks that same year. Why? Because they are willing to work with many manufacturers. Cedar Fair putting an expensive dive coaster only in CEDAR POINT instead of a place that actually has room for growth shows how pathetically stupid this company is. Cedar Fair needs to not only put their focus on the mid-level parks (like they did with Carowinds) but let go of this ridiculous B&M love fest. RMC IS PROVEN!!!!

This means I would rather Dorney Park get a coaster instead of us as opposed to Canada's Wonderland get a coaster instead of us, which, I don't even know they will be getting one in 2017.

I think the most annoying thing i see posted on facebook and this forum is people saying "well you lowered the coaster count of the park and added a flat" Who cares? The ride experience is more important than a damn coaster count. I cannot believe I keep seeing people complain about Shockwave not being replaced by a coaster. I'm not even a huge fan of Delirium but those rides are miles better than a Coaster like Shockwave.

I've always felt like maXair provided a ride experience similar to a roller coaster, and is more fun than over half of the coasters at Cedar Point! I'd definitely put this in the category of addition by subtraction (and a different addition!)

This announcement actually helped me make up my mind to get a Kings Dominion season pass instead of Six Flags next year. Even though SFA is way closer to me I'm just tired of waiting for something interesting to happen at SFA and these rides are a ton of fun.

And for those complaining about the lack of a new coaster, my post is *exactly* what the park wants with additions like these. Way less expensive than a coaster, but still brings in more business. You don't need a coaster every other year to draw more visitors.

This announcement actually helped me make up my mind to get a Kings Dominion season pass instead of Six Flags next year. Even though SFA is way closer to me I'm just tired of waiting for something interesting to happen at SFA and these rides are a ton of fun.

And for those complaining about the lack of a new coaster, my post is *exactly* what the park wants with additions like these. Way less expensive than a coaster, but still brings in more business. You don't need a coaster every other year to draw more visitors.

But they are going to need to get a coaster some time in the next couple of years. Every 5-7 years is reasonable, but not 10+ years.

But they are going to need to get a coaster some time in the next couple of years. Every 5-7 years is reasonable, but not 10+ years.

5-7 Years is reasonable. 7 Yrs ago Dominator was installed and 5yrs ago Intimidator 305 was installed (massive 25 million dollar ride) Windseeker 2 yrs later, 2013 the Chains largest kids area, general park improvements in 2014 and 2015 a big investment in the water park. Now next year a nice flat ride and who know what else in terms of more general park improvements. 2017 will more than likely see a new coaster installed which will fall into your reasonable 5-7yr coaster plan. Not 10+

Everyone knows CP is the flagship of the chain and nothing is going to change that. With the huge income of the hotels and other on site properties as well as fastlane income its no surprise they are getting another coaster.

You have a Volcano and an Intimidator 305 and you're disappointed when you have to wait another year for a roller coaster that most likely won't be as good as the two. I would complain about my home park being the relocation capital of the world, with the last original roller coaster was built in 2005, but the rides that have been relocated to there are good rides. It's almost like the quality of the rides cancel out the waiting time, or whether or not they were relocated.

You have a Volcano and an Intimidator 305 and you're disappointed when you have to wait another year for a roller coaster that most likely won't be as good as the two. I would complain about my home park being the relocation capital of the world, with the last original roller coaster was built in 2005, but the rides that have been relocated to there are good rides. It's almost like the quality of the rides cancel out the waiting time, or whether or not they were relocated.

Truth. Nothing in the park topped Volcano until I305 came around. The odds that a coaster at KD will ever top 305 are stupidly low. Most people have it in their top 3, if not their top 1. Meanwhile, there are PLENTY of good coasters at KD, but the odds that the next thing coming in will be the new most intense ride are close to 0. People were blacking out on 305 so they had to change it. That means it's as intense as that park is like to get.

If you set your expectations on a new, crazy, intense, death defying coaster, when you already have one, you're going to be disappointed. I could see them getting another great coaster, but as others have said, the park doesn't make decisions on enthusiast pipe dreams. They make decisions on a series of numbers crunched by a bunch of experts. If the numbers come up coaster, then they will get a coaster. It will probably be a mid to mid-large sized ride, maybe on par with Dominator, and it will probably be a really REALLY good ride, and enthusiasts WILL still complain anyhow because "zomg we've been teh cheated our glorious new 6g 15 looper 500 foot amazing coaster."

I must say, it's very interesting how we argue here sometimes... If we get a coaster at a park, we complain about the layout and how "we could have designed it better" and how "it's not what they really need" when we get a flat ride we complain that we really needed a coaster. I think it's important that for parks to be successful they have to apeal to every demographic... You need the rides to keep the little kids happy, all the way up to the old retired people that want to see a great show! With that in place, not every addition needs to be a major skyline changing ride, nor does it need to push the boundaries of what the thrill ride design can go. A perfect example is Cedar Points new ride. It's not going to push the boundaries very far, but it will draw in the crowds, which is what they need to do.

KD is a great park, I went twice this summer for the first time ever. I must admit I felt that the park was very well balanced, they have three woodies, and a slew of great steel coasters, as well as a great line up of flat tides, ranging from carousels to one of the tallest drop towers in the world... The park is truly not in DIAR need of anything! Do we have pipe dreams in what we want to see in the park, yes,mom course! But that's the same thing as an NFL fan complaining about the newest trade, or recruit from Penn State!

I'm going to take a page out of Robb's post on the coaster count thread: we need to spend more time enjoying the great parks that we have then complaining about them not putting in the newest biggest baddest ride year after year!

Truth. Nothing in the park topped Volcano until I305 came around. The odds that a coaster at KD will ever top 305 are stupidly low. Most people have it in their top 3, if not their top 1. Meanwhile, there are PLENTY of good coasters at KD, but the odds that the next thing coming in will be the new most intense ride are close to 0. People were blacking out on 305 so they had to change it. That means it's as intense as that park is like to get.

If you set your expectations on a new, crazy, intense, death defying coaster, when you already have one, you're going to be disappointed. I could see them getting another great coaster, but as others have said, the park doesn't make decisions on enthusiast pipe dreams. They make decisions on a series of numbers crunched by a bunch of experts. If the numbers come up coaster, then they will get a coaster. It will probably be a mid to mid-large sized ride, maybe on par with Dominator, and it will probably be a really REALLY good ride, and enthusiasts WILL still complain anyhow because "zomg we've been teh cheated our glorious new 6g 15 looper 500 foot amazing coaster."

I'm not. I'm suggesting a wingrider or an invert, both of which are highly plausable. Something no larger than Gatekeeper or Banshee.

Or a family launcher like Verbolten could be coming.

What can I expect the crowds to be like tomorrow? I haven't been to KD in a few years and am really excited to get back on I305.

I'm going to assume a lot of schools in VA are back in session, so I think you should be okay as far as crowds go.

Anyone remember this?

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

Anyone remember this?

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

Is there a cycle of a new coaster's speculation?

Anyone remember this?

Is there a cycle of a new coaster's speculation?

Not really. It's pretty straightforward: Happy about a coaster, mad about no coaster.

I think there's a very high chance that both Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland could be getting a coaster in 2017.

+Cedar point

Cedar Point is probably getting nothing except maybe a few new family rides in 2017, unless Cedar Fair is that much of an @$$hole.

I guess that leave us until 2018 since cedar fair loves to give one park one big ride per year.

You called Kings Island a big park, which means you're basically saying KI is one of the big parks that gets a big ride each year. KI got Diamondback in 2009 and Banshee in 2014. With that being said, I'd say KD will be getting a new coaster VERY soon (more than likey 2017) since CW has gotten a crapload of new rides in the past few years, Carowinds just got Fury, KI just got Banshee, CP is about to get a coaster (pretty sure it's a dive coaster) and KBF recently got the dark ride. KD is one of the larger Cedar Fair parks compared to say WoF or VF, so to imply KD won't get a new coaster anytime soon is somewhat ignorant