TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ all Arrows could use that I think. I don't mind Arrows (possibly because I'm tall, possibly because I'm not made out of glass) but enough people have headbanding problems that I think most parks would do well to upgrade the restraints to something more modern.

Arrow trains are designed to keep your hands in the car. You will never see vests on arrow coasters with loops because the clearance ceiling is not enough. Next time you are on an arrow and about to do a vertical loop, notice that you could 'high five' the beginning and end of the loop if your hands were free.

Why don't they make the sides of the train taller? Or would that look too weird?

Going tomorrow for the first time, and I am wondering if I need to purchase a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to store my backpack or can I put them in the bins before the station?

Kings Dominion has bins for free use on all their major coasters and most of their flat rides. They let you bring your items with you on the top of the Eiffel Tower, bring them with you on the Americana ferris wheel gondolas, place them on the side of the Bad Apple, and place them on the seats of the antique cars as you ride Blue Ridge Tollway. There's no reason for lockers, unless you plan on going to Soak City and maybe for White Water Canyon.

^ all Arrows could use that I think. I don't mind Arrows (possibly because I'm tall, possibly because I'm not made out of glass) but enough people have headbanding problems that I think most parks would do well to upgrade the restraints to something more modern.

Arrow trains are designed to keep your hands in the car. You will never see vests on arrow coasters with loops because the clearance ceiling is not enough. Next time you are on an arrow and about to do a vertical loop, notice that you could 'high five' the beginning and end of the loop if your hands were free.

Why don't they make the sides of the train taller? Or would that look too weird?

There are ways to fix that. I actually used to give that same reasoning, but there are always creative solutions to the reach envelope problem.

I like the way RMC fixed this problem personally:

GASM's old trains (now Ninja's) solved that problem with higher bars on the side.

03-great-american-scream-machine.jpg.4525d7e796326d9d5a012a733957a40d.jpg

With that being said, I've seen some Arrow loopers that allowed riders to keep their hands up. Demon at SFGAm, original Steel Phantom, and Tennessee Tornado ares some of the few that come to mind.

I hear a lot of people saying (read, whining) KD needs a coaster . . . Blah blah blah. But, am I the only one who remember that chart showing all 11 parks and their revenue? KDA is 6 out of 11 meaning it not one od the most successful nor is it one of the least successful. It would surprise if me if the even get a coaster in 2017.

Any news about the land clearing behind intimidator?

I really doubt they'd add a coaster back there. I mean unless they want four coasters in the same plaza circle. I think back by Grizzly and where Hypersonic/Windseeker was/is would be a good location.

I hear a lot of people saying (read, whining) KD needs a coaster . . . Blah blah blah. But, am I the only one who remember that chart showing all 11 parks and their revenue? KDA is 6 out of 11 meaning it not one od the most successful nor is it one of the least successful. It would surprise if me if the even get a coaster in 2017.

I'm pretty sure you'd get tired riding the same crap for six to seven years after a major ride was build.

I'm pretty sure you'd get tired riding the same crap for six to seven years after a major ride was build.

I know I am. The rides are cool and all but we all need something different

I know I am. The rides are cool and all but we all need something different

The main reason Kings Dominion didn't get a coaster these past six years is because of that stupid contract between B&M and BGW. 2017 is KD's first year of eligibility for a new B&M.

The main reason Kings Dominion didn't get a coaster these past six years is because of that stupid contract between B&M and BGW. 2017 is KD's first year of eligibility for a new B&M.

Where did you hear that? I've never heard this. And there are plenty of other coaster manufacturers that they could go to even if that was true.

I'm sure the real reason why they haven't gotten a new coaster in the last 5 years is that a $25 million dollar investment takes a long time to re-coup and it doesn't appear that the park has been doing badly over these last few seasons with the smaller additions that they have added since. The park actually has a pretty decent line-up of coasters already, and while yes, the majority of "coaster enthusiasts" on this site would like to see them unrealistically add a new coaster every year, but maybe that's not what they need?

It's funny how over on the SFMM forum they are dying to get a flat ride, a family ride or something added to the water park because all the park seems to add is coaster after coaster, and here, even though the park has an EXCELLENT collection of rides, we hear people complain that they are putting in rides that help the overall balance of the park.

Where did you hear that? I've never heard this. And there are plenty of other coaster manufacturers that they could go to even if that was true.

I'm sure the real reason why they haven't gotten a new coaster in the last 5 years is that a $25 million dollar investment takes a long time to re-coup and it doesn't appear that the park has been doing badly over these last few seasons with the smaller additions that they have added since. The park actually has a pretty decent line-up of coasters already, and while yes, the majority of "coaster enthusiasts" on this site would like to see them unrealistically add a new coaster every year, but maybe that's not what they need?

It's funny how over on the SFMM forum they are dying to get a flat ride, a family ride or something added to the water park because all the park seems to add is coaster after coaster, and here, even though the park has an EXCELLENT collection of rides, we hear people complain that they are putting in rides that help the overall balance of the park.

But after six years it's probably time. Truth is we don't know if a coaster is coming or not in 2017. We just have to see if any major construction starts. But Delirium is a great addition for now.

I thought that was a rumor and that exclusivity contracts don't exist. But in an interview with Kim Jent, a B&M Structural Engineer on Gatekeeper's media day, it was revealed that B&M really does do exclusivity contracts. He said the park will pay B&M not to build another coaster within a certain radius of the park for x amount of years. If that's true, it's possible Busch Gardens Williamsburg signed one of those, which would explain the surprising lack of B&M's in the area (other than relocated ones)

This is what I've been thinking about the park. $25 mil is a huge investment, and as a mid-tier CF park, they weren't going to get huge cap-ex for years after I305. Also, as I mentioned in my post a few pages back (that I'm not sure anybody even noticed because nobody commented on it), I haven't been to KD since before Dominator and I305, and I still think it's a better overall park than Carowinds, in spite of my new favorite coaster being there. KD has a great collection of coasters, and rides, and Delirium is a fantastic addition for next season!

That being said, it is my official opinion (at this time) 2017 will bring another major coaster investment, along with Canada's Wonderland. However, I could be wrong, as they really aren't doing badly right now, it appears. (Another idea: 2017 could bring an RMC of Hurler? That would be a cheaper expenditure, that would still be a nice improvement!)

^When did I say that CW's getting the supposed wing coaster?

You didn't. CedarFair1 just likes to throw his prediction of Canada's Wonderland getting that into lots of conversations. Whether that happens or not, is to be seen. But it does bring up the discussion of how many major coaster installations they'd do in one year.

Anyway, I think KD has a terrific coaster lineup as Robb stated. And Delirium will be a nice flat ride addition to the park. With attendance maintaining with the additions, why rush to put in a super-major capital project?

Edited by Coasterguy21