TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Is there a strong chance of us getting a coaster in 2017?

A lot of rumors out there suggesting both KD and CW will be getting a wing coaster in 2017.

Cw just got a ride why do they need it. Kd need it the most

Ok they said BOTH parks may receive one. If true why does it matter CW is in a different country.

A lot of rumors out there suggesting both KD and CW will be getting a wing coaster in 2017.

Hopefully they can remove Anaconda and put it over what's left of the lake. That would be a nice upgrade.

If I may share a non-regular attender's perspective...

I last went to Kings Dominion my one, and only time, back in 2002. I just went to Carowinds for the first time earlier this year. Obviously, Fury was beyond amazing, and immediately became my favorite coaster. However, other than that, Intimidator and Afterburn, I found the park to be rather lackluster and underwhelming...

Point being: in spite of me having last been to KD before I305, AND Dominator, I still prefer it overall as a park to Carowinds. I can only imagine how I would feel about it going there now! (I have been on Dominator when it was at GL, and love it!) I also feel like you are probably the best looking park in the CF chain, though my memory is a little fuzzy on that (I used to think Kings Island was the best, but the additions of Diamondback and Banshee have dispatched with a lot of the trees and intimacy I once felt there...), since it's been so long since I was there.

So, while you haven't received a major coaster addition in many years now, and that CF neighbor to the South has stolen a lot of attention this year with their mind-blowing new coaster (don't forget when you had your day in the sun with I305...), I think you should still be very proud of your park, and where KD stands in the heirarchy of CF parks! (And you're getting a frisbee-like ride, so that's always a win!)

While I slightly prefer the Huss giant frisbee I loved Psyclone at Wonderland and I recall the motor makes this great sound while it's running. I am glad to see Kings Dominion add another modern flat ride to round out their collection.

image.thumb.jpg.9dfc2a2794f55efaac90e995464139e1.jpg

Psyclone at CW made by our friends at Mondial :)

image.jpg.e34ee75f513ebdf591daf6c0e313ddcd.jpg

Whirrrrrrrrr....

image.jpg.6dfdb2f7439e49be461a65028dab002b.jpg

Nice choice KD

I don't remember which thread it was, but I thought I read somewhere that the Huss topspins may go on the chopping block across the Cedar Fair parks (I'm not sure how many there are) relatively soon--1-2 years. I think I only rode the Crypt once and vowed never again. Are there any signs that that particular ride's days are numbered (obviously not going away after this year)? Is the ride down a significant amount of time?

I just noticed something.

King Cobra at Kings Island was replaced by Delirium, a HUSS Giant Frisbee.

Shockwave at KD has been replaced by Delirium, which I'm assuming will also be a HUSS Giant Frisbee.

I just think it's a little odd/funny that the same kind of coaster was replaced by the same ride

Hopefully they can remove Anaconda and put it over what's left of the lake. That would be a nice upgrade.

Or better yet, give Anaconda Vekoma trains with those headbang-free restraints and actually make it a rideable ride.

Honestly I've never found Anacanda to be rough. I've always thought it to be one of the better Arrow coasters. With that said, I do think it could use new trains. Ones like Sidewinder at HP would be very nice with the vest restraints.

^ all Arrows could use that I think. I don't mind Arrows (possibly because I'm tall, possibly because I'm not made out of glass) but enough people have headbanding problems that I think most parks would do well to upgrade the restraints to something more modern.

That said, I never take enthusiasts opinions of rides too seriously, because I find there are VERY few coasters I don't have a good time on. For the most part, I find most of the GP are also more than happy to get on a lot of rides enthusiasts complain about (like Firehawk) and have a good time (since that's the whole point of a theme park).

I also don't think there's any "bad" Arrows left at this point. Shockwave, Drachen Fire, GASM, and some of the older corkscrews caused real problems for people. Vortex, Anaconda, Viper, etc. are fine rides that people will still line up for no problem. There's nothing wrong with wanting to skip them in favor of the new wave smooth coasters, but I think people often forget that it's a preference of theirs, not a fault of the ride. Some people like rides you need to be defensive on, since that's a different kind of thrill.

Woohoooo!!!! What a massive upgrade from Shockwave! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

It is not a coaster, so by definition, it is not. It's a lot cheaper ride than a new Shockwave-class coaster, however. It shouldn't exclude a coaster soon, although seeing CF lately, another may have to fall to get that.

It would be a new experience for me, however, are thse rides in any way sickening like Berserker or Bourbon Street Fireball? Unless someone can convince it is not, I will never ride. Fireball was the worst experience I've had on a ride in years, almost ever.

I have been on bourbon street fireball and psyclone at CW, and I felt sick on fireball, and I rode psyclone multiple times, trust me, these are pretty tame in the sickening category.

Woohoooo!!!! What a massive upgrade from Shockwave! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

It is not a coaster, so by definition, it is not.

I fail to see how an amazing flat ride isn't a massive upgrade from a terrible coaster. If given the choice between Maxair and a piece of crap standup I'd pick Maxair in a heartbeat, this will absolutely be a better ride than many of the coasters at KD.

I fail to see how an amazing flat ride isn't a massive upgrade from a terrible coaster. If given the choice between Maxair and a piece of crap standup I'd pick Maxair in a heartbeat, this will absolutely be a better ride than many of the coasters at KD.

I just sent a picture of Maxair to my (GP) friend and he wasn't impressed. I told him that I had a lot of fun on it at CP and Delirium would be a big upgrade over Shockwave.

His words:

"Looks kinda average to me. I feel like I can can get a comparable thrill from The Berserker or Da'Vinci's Cradle."

I just sent a picture of Maxair to my (GP) friend and he wasn't impressed. I told him that I had a lot of fun on it at CP and Delirium would be a big upgrade over Shockwave.

His words:

"Looks kinda average to me. I feel like I can can get a comparable thrill from The Berserker or Da'Vinci's Cradle."

Which is completely false, berserker sucks and hurts, and davincis cradle isn't even worth standing in a 5 minute line for.

His words:

Which is completely false, berserker sucks and hurts, and davincis cradle isn't even worth standing in a 5 minute line for.

My response was along those lines. His point is that it's all just "swinging" the riders when you get down to it. My counterpoint was that not all flat rides are created equally and I hadn't ridden Berzerker in ages because of how brutal it is.

^ all Arrows could use that I think. I don't mind Arrows (possibly because I'm tall, possibly because I'm not made out of glass) but enough people have headbanding problems that I think most parks would do well to upgrade the restraints to something more modern.

Arrow trains are designed to keep your hands in the car. You will never see vests on arrow coasters with loops because the clearance ceiling is not enough. Next time you are on an arrow and about to do a vertical loop, notice that you could 'high five' the beginning and end of the loop if your hands were free.