TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

How is Dorney on level footing with Carowinds and KD in terms of EBITDA, and if so why don't they have a gigacoaster, or at the very least the world's largest waterpark, given the number of locals that stand in those three-hour slide lines? Logic...

*Edit: I spoke with one of my friends who works in an unspecified department at KD, he/she (identity protection measures) has some close friends in the central KD office and they've overheard talk of next year's SlingShot. If they're right, this means that we will only receive a SlingShot in 2016, not a flat package like some of you had hoped. This probably brings CF's capital investment total (not counting routine maintenance or minor overhauls) since I305 to <$10-15M.

Tbh that's kinda stupid. We already have xtreme skyflyer and now we have to pay for another Ride some people won't get on

Praying that there is a big surprise later this month.

I know what he's talking about, and he's correct. I305 won't be rethemed or renamed. The sale was to get rid of overstock. It was posted on some other sites so it's not new to me

And I'm actually kind of glad. I LOVE hearing "GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!!!!" before that fast lift hill.

I really gotta say, Kings Dominion has some of the best theming out of any Cedar Fair park. Every ride except Dominator, Hurler, and Ricochet has some amount of theming, whether it's loosely or it's prominent. Example being Volcano, Intimidator 305, and Backlot: Stunt Coaster.

To be honest that's not much of an accomplishment at all. When I visited with my bro earlier this summer we both noticed throughout the day how minimal and sparse the theming was.

That's not to say the park wasn't scenic and pleasant, but it certainly is not well themed. And I-305 has very loose theming--a car and billboard hardly qualifies as "theming."

And I-305 has very loose theming--a car and billboard hardly qualifies as "theming."

It's like the difference between SFFT's Batman: The Ride theming (random signs and blueprint stuff scattered everywhere) vs. SFOT's Batman: The Ride theming (providing a dark atmosphere and immersive stuff)

The best themed ride anywhere is Dominator. It's loudly themed as a giant roller coaster. They ought to be advertising coasters on NASCAR cars, not the other way around.

As to Intimidator, it really seems like who pays who in these theming deals. I guess as long as they sell more merch, everyone wins, but they still pay something if they don't.

I think the rate of coaster work at KD will increase compared to the last few simply because they have to start removing some old stuff. Sometimes just because it looks bad. I can only hope they don't want to drop their coaster count (much) long term.

A chart released by Cedar Fair for the next five years. So it looks like there will be a TrioTech at some park in 2016. KD maybe in the off chance?

[chart shows "coaster re-work" in each of the next 3 years] Is that just maintenance or something interesting? I didn't talk about in my improve Hurler posts that they actually did just that (but not the best way) at Carowinds, but then, it's now their only woodie. That was an unprecedented amount of coaster rework for CF until the Rougarou conversion.

Whatever Kings Dominion gets next, it needs to have high capacity, as in at least 64 instead of 48. Shockwave's horrible operations could have been the cause of those ridiculously long lines at Volcano and Intimidator. Would love to see up to 3x32 in the next coaster, especially if it's a B&M.

Shockwave's horrible operations could have been the cause of those ridiculously long lines at Volcano and Intimidator.

...or maybe because Volcano has shit capacity and is a popular ride. And wait... how does having excess people queuing for Shockwave instead of riding other coasters make Volcano's line longer?

"Ridiculously long lines at Intimidator."

Shockwave's horrible operations could have been the cause of those ridiculously long lines at Volcano and Intimidator.

...or maybe because Volcano has poo-poo capacity and is a popular ride. And wait... how does having excess people queuing for Shockwave instead of riding other coasters make Volcano's line longer?

"Ridiculously long lines at Intimidator."

No I mean people would avoid Shockwave and populate the other rides in the park.

^ I mean, I get where you're coming from, but they have 11 adult coasters, and 13 total. Volcano has always had long lines since it was built. When Hyper Sonic XLC came out, it was a 2 hour wait almost every day. Volcano still had a long line. Same for i305. Dominator, i305, hsxlc, blsc, each came, and even when their lines were huge, so was volcano.

While mathematically speaking another huge new coaster would put people in its line, it will be more of the same. Long lines at all the big ones, longest line at the new one and volcano.

Just be glad they added 4 more rows to volcano. Waiting in the line when it had 4 rows SUCKED.