TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Can anyone tell me or show me how a hyper would work in shockwave's spot???

With a B&M hyper, I think Kings Dominion could put an underground tunnel underneath the path behind the Effiel Tower that leads to Candy Apple Grove. It could be similar to Fury 325's underpath tunnel. That way the hyper could go in- and out- and use part of Shockwave's soon- to- be former site.

However, it looks like from the picture there is a huge hill behind the Effiel Tower on the "mysterious" hyper coaster, so it could as well be a hill going over that same path instead of a tunnel.

Yeah I was kinda thinking about that too.. But what i'm really saying is where would the airtime hills go?

In the front of the park...

^^ most people consider i305 one of the most intense coasters in the world. Volcano is a one of a kind thrill. Fof is a launch and in the dark. Then you have Dominator, Anaconda, Grizzly, and Rebel Yell, all well in the thrill category. Explain to me how they are "lacking" in thrill coasters? I305 can keep that in check all on its own.

Also, while yes Avalanche is another good example, grizzly, stunt coaster, and rebel yell are definitely more in the "thrill" category when it comes to young and new riders. Hurler has one drop, and since the lift and drop are often the scariest part for new riders, it's the perfect fit. Grizzly and Rebel yell are far from good first coasters, and plenty of young riders would be afraid of a launch, even as tame as Backlot. Also kiddie coasters are kiddie coaster. That doesn't count as a first "grown up" coaster.

Grizzly is actually a pretty good first coaster, it might have some big drops, but they aren't very visible through the trees!

if you guys think your getting a b&m cause of that picture then Canada's Wonderland should have gotten a maverick coaster about 4 years ago when a maverick looking coaster appeared in ours... IT'S FILLER NOW MOVE ON!

But they still got a coaster.

Gurl it's filler and for advertising... They won't tease a new coaster that way they'll put up tweets and hints that dont even lead you to the right answer

I've never thought Hurler was all that bad. It's a completely average coaster as far as I'm concerned. It's not amazing, it's skippable but there's nothing all that wrong with it.

I guess it's just me.

I thought the exact same thing until I rode it this year and realized it got worse. I just want it to be slightly smoother and I'll be happy.

I've never thought Hurler was all that bad. It's a completely average coaster as far as I'm concerned. It's not amazing, it's skippable but there's nothing all that wrong with it.

I guess it's just me.

I thought the exact same thing until I rode it this year and realized it got worse. I just want it to be slightly smoother and I'll be happy.

Same here. I was okay with Hurler until this season, but now I personally wanna burn the ride to the ground.

hurler was mediocre from day one. lousy layout. terrible construction and it's aged awfully. please do not waste money putting topper track on that mess, Cedar Fair. nobody likes Hurler, and nobody will be excited to ride what the GP will see as a slightly modified version of a coaster they already hate.

I must emphasize I'd rather them spend tons of money all the time. . But instead of a flat ride or something that could be done for about the same price, I'd like a pretty good coaster back please. Do something else big the year before or after. Unless that would be to replace it with a custom RMC or better.

Through 2009, every Hurler ride had air in every row on every bunny hop and those parts were about as rough as Woodstock. No more. I call that borken.

hurler was mediocre from day one. lousy layout. terrible construction and it's aged awfully. please do not waste money putting topper track on that mess, Cedar Fair. nobody likes Hurler, and nobody will be excited to ride what the GP will see as a slightly modified version of a coaster they already hate.

I must emphasize I'd rather them spend tons of money all the time. . But instead of a flat ride or something that could be done for about the same price, I'd like a pretty good coaster back please. Do something else big the year before or after. Unless that would be to replace it with a custom RMC or better.

Through 2009, every Hurler ride had air in every row on every bunny hop and those parts were about as rough as Woodstock. No more. I call that borken.

I think I rode Hurler my first time in 1995. I remember having loads of fun on it. It's just god-awful now.

Having ridden Thunder Run with the topper track and enjoying it quite a bit, I'd love to see if Hurler could regain some of its former glory in a similar fashion. That would resolve some of its issues. One of the main things I hate about Hurler is the seats/restraints. New topper track might get me to ride it again but if the seats are exactly the same it may be only for a single ride.

I think I rode Hurler my first time in 1995. I remember having loads of fun on it. It's just god-awful now.

Having ridden Thunder Run with the topper track and enjoying it quite a bit, I'd love to see if Hurler could regain some of its former glory in a similar fashion. That would resolve some of its issues. One of the main things I hate about Hurler is the seats/restraints. New topper track might get me to ride it again but if the seats are exactly the same it may be only for a single ride.

It's never going to be popular even with topper track. The only way it can return to glory is if they Iron Horse the dang thing.

^^-- Pavers and sprucing up the park don't bring in the crowds either -- at first. Improved guest experience has cumulative results. Not that I want them to be popular, but I do like nicer rides. I may be overestimating what the park needs to do, basically 3 coasters need replacement or transformation. It just seems likely the thing's going to sit there and run in its diminished state until I'm too old to walk around the place any more. And it is an unusual case where a relatively cheap and effective solution has suddenly become available.

^^-- Pavers and sprucing up the park don't bring in the crowds either -- at first. Improved guest experience has cumulative results. Not that I want them to be popular, but I do like nicer rides. I may be overestimating what the park needs to do, basically 3 coasters need replacement or transformation. It just seems likely the thing's going to sit there and run in its diminished state until I'm too old to walk around the place any more. And it is an unusual case where a relatively cheap and effective solution has suddenly become available.

Except that Hurler diminishes the guest experience.

I stand corrected. The ride called Hurler has clearly created such hate that, as far as it is regarded, many can't even process the difference between a revamped version of a ride and what it is now.

^^ toper track is pretty awesome though, and anyone who's been on a coaster with it will attest to that. With topper track, they could take the brakes off Hurler and it would be a pretty fun little ride again.

I know you say your pipe dream is for a double RMC mega conversion, but I doubt anything will happen to Hurler other than topper or demolition, if they even bother to do anything at all.

Grizzly is still a great ride, and exactly what a rough old classic woodies is supposed to be, so I'd doubt anything will be happening to that coaster for a long time, if ever.

^^ toper track is pretty awesome though, and anyone who's been on a coaster with it will attest to that. With topper track, they could take the brakes off Hurler and it would be a pretty fun little ride again.

I know you say your pipe dream is for a double RMC mega conversion, but I doubt anything will happen to Hurler other than topper or demolition, if they even bother to do anything at all.

Grizzly is still a great ride, and exactly what a rough old classic woodies is supposed to be, so I'd doubt anything will be happening to that coaster for a long time, if ever.

I dunno. Colossus at SFMM was also considered a "classic".

To six flags no. But were talking about a Cedar Fair park. You may not get a RMC, but you get a clean park, nice atmosphere, and great operations. You KD guys are spoiled. You have a nice park. Appreciate it. It could be Daren Lake or the Great Escape

To six flags no. But were talking about a Cedar Fair park. You may not get a RMC, but you get a clean park, nice atmosphere, and great operations. You KD guys are spoiled. You have a nice park. Appreciate it. It could be Daren Lake or the Great Escape

Yeah but an RMC would make it even nicer. But I do have to agree that Kings Dominion is definitely one of the nicer Cedar Fair parks. I think ultimately it's going to be like Knott's Berry Farm or Dollywood where it's a well themed, family friendly park that still excels in the trill category.

Yeah but an RMC would make it even nicer. But I do have to agree that Kings Dominion is definitely one of the nicer Cedar Fair parks. I think ultimately it's going to be like Knott's Berry Farm or Dollywood where it's a well themed, family friendly park that still excels in the trill category.

And an RMC would make any park better, and help out a park that actually needs the boost. KD is doing fine.

And an RMC would make any park better, and help out a park that actually needs the boost. KD is doing fine.

I'm pretty sure SFMM, SFFT, and Dollywood were doing fine before getting RMCs.

Yeah, no. SFFT had one legitimate moment of strong airtime in the entire park before Iron Rattler, and that was on a mine train.

As for SFMM, they didn't have much airtime either.

I see your point about Dollywood, but they're still getting improved by getting Lightning Rod.

Plus, getting the Iron Horse treatment is generally always an improvement. Even if the wooden coaster it replaced was decent and not terribly rough or boring, an I-box conversion is still going to be better.

Have you ridden an RMC?

Even KD would be better with an RMC, even if it was fine already.