TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I was thinking something more along the lines of Verbolten. Lengthy & sprawling.

The only thing the park is missing is a unique B&M looper, and a good wood coaster. However, with that being said, coasters are the last thing the park needs. If anything, the park needs more modern flats, the park could really benefit from those. A Zamperla giant discovery would be a good start.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Verbolten. Lengthy & sprawling.

The only thing the park is missing is a unique B&M looper, and a good wood coaster. However, with that being said, coasters are the last thing the park needs. If anything, the park needs more modern flats, the park could really benefit from those. A Zamperla giant discovery would be a good start.

*cough Dominator . . . Grizzly cough*

Have you been to the park?

Honestly, I feel that Kings Dominion has one of the most well-rounded roller coaster lineups! I feel like the only thing that is missing is an air Time Machine, that we might get this year!

We have three solid Woodies (yes, hurler isn't the best, but I didn't find it as bad as most of you make it out to be) A standard arrow Looper, and a great B&M floor less multi looper, a unique launch coaster, an intense ride like none other, and a few family thrill coasters... I think it's an amazing line up to grow up on!

Honestly, I feel that Kings Dominion has one of the most well-rounded roller coaster lineups! I feel like the only thing that is missing is an air Time Machine, that we might get this year!

We have three solid Woodies (yes, hurler isn't the best, but I didn't find it as bad as most of you make it out to be) A standard arrow Looper, and a great B&M floor less multi looper, a unique launch coaster, an intense ride like none other, and a few family thrill coasters... I think it's an amazing line up to grow up on!

The park still needs a great airtime machine. I think an RMC would deliver on that.

^I agree wholeheartedly. I was surprised how much KD was lacking in the airtime department. Rebel Yell did surprise me though. I prefer the KD one over the KI version due to it actually having some pops of air, and being smoother. As someone mentioned before, a RMC hybrid of Hurler & Grizzly would be insane.

Yes I have.

I said *good* wood coaster. A unique B&M looper, in my opinion, is something more unique than a basic sit-down looping coaster found at nearly every park ever. A flyer, dive, or even a wing coaster is considered more unique/stand out than a floorless.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

Yes I have.

I said *good* wood coaster. A unique B&M looper, in my opinion, is something more unique than a basic sit-down looping coaster found at nearly every park ever. A flyer, dive, or even a wing coaster is considered more unique than a floorless.

. . . until they become found at nearly every park ever. Regardless if you want to admit it or not, KD has a good coaster line up. Lots of parks out here will KILL have to such a line up.

^I agree wholeheartedly. I was surprised how much KD was lacking in the airtime department. I doubt the locals even know what that is. As someone mentioned before, a RMC hybrid of Hurler & Grizzly would be insane.

Yes I have.

I said *good* wood coaster. A unique B&M looper, in my opinion, is something more unique than a basic sit-down looping coaster found at nearly every park ever. A flyer, dive, or even a wing coaster is considered more unique than a floorless.

Dominator is better then any wing coaster out there right now! And a Dive coaster? Isn't there one like 40 minutes away? Its at a park Called Busch Gardens. Check it out sometime. Its a pretty park.

Yes I have.

. . . until they become found at nearly every park ever. Regardless if you want to admit it or not, KD has a good coaster line up. Lots of parks out here will KILL have to such a line up.

An RMC would be a perfect slot below I305 but above the majority of the park's coasters, as well as provide a great deal of airtime and maybe a couple smooth inversions, all while keeping some of the properties of a wooden coaster.

RMCs are some of the most intense coasters out there and we all know Cedar Fair isn't working with RMC yet... so we definitely know an RMC is not going to be the next coaster.

And, all these people begging for airtime? Intimidator 305 has some of the strongest pops of ejector airtime out there... maybe those pesky shoulder straps are distracting you from it.

You've completely misapprehended everything I've written if you've concluded that I think KD has a bad coaster line up.

I was only stating my opinions on what coasters would help improve/diverse Kings Dominion's coaster lineup.

Dominator is better then any wing coaster out there right now! And a Dive coaster? Isn't there one like 40 minutes away? Its at a park Called Busch Gardens. Check it out sometime. Its a pretty park.

I will repeat "A flyer, dive, or even a wing coaster is considered more unique than a floorless." Nowhere in that sentence did I imply that KD needs any of these. I was simply stating coasters that stand out more to the GP than a standard sit-down looper. This can be applied to any park.

An RMC would be a perfect slot below I305 but above the majority of the park's coasters, as well as provide a great deal of airtime and maybe a couple smooth inversions, all while keeping some of the properties of a wooden coaster.

I'd rather see Hurler go on second thought. Although I wonder how Grizzly's numbers would do afterwards.

I think that Kings Dominion is ultimately going to be more like Knott's Berry Farm than Cedar Point. I think it's going to be a well themed, family friendly (but not oriented) park with a coaster selection more about quality than quality. I think a good amount of crappy coasters will be removed in the near future (unless given an RMC treatment).

with a coaster selection more about quality than quality. I think a good amount of crappy coasters will be removed in the near future (unless given an RMC treatment).

That may be hard to pull off. Whenever quality takes on quality, things get rough!

But, if they want quality more than quantity, then power to them . They have a good collection as is.

Edited by Coasterguy21

^ I think the park has a nice collection of quality coasters. Dominator, Volcano, Intimidator, Flight of Fear, Back Lot, and arguably Avalacnhe. Considering attendance, that's above and beyond most parks of equal caliber. A RMC would introduce some airtime to the park, which it is sadly lacking.

What do you guys think kd will be getting in the next 5 years??

2016- Flat ride package

2017- New RMC using Grizzly/Hurler's wood

2018- Major theming/appearance improvements

2019- Dark ride

2020- Ride refurbishments/more appearance improvements

I also think that the 40th anniversary logo will become their permanent logo.

Something that may be a possibility is the return of the sky ride, but KD is a (somewhat) compact park (unlike Busch Gardens), so it doesn't need it.

with a coaster selection more about quality than quality. I think a good amount of crappy coasters will be removed in the near future (unless given an RMC treatment).

That may be hard to pull off. Whenever quality takes on quality, things get rough!

But, if they want quality more than quantity, then power to them . They have a good collection as is.

I meant quality over quantity.

What do you guys think kd will be getting in the next 5 years??

More family & thrilling attractions, maybe even a dark ride. I don't foresee another large $20+ million coaster anytime soon though. KD has only invested over $15 million on a coaster three times in the entire lifetime of the park. Volcano ($20m) in 1998, XLC ($15m) in 2001, and Intimidator ($25m) in 2010. There have been a few investments of $10 million throughout the history as well, the most recent one being this year. The park seems to be doing well with water, so that may be the direction for now.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

^^No worries haha. I know what you meant, just having some fun with ya.

The future is bright for this park just like many in the chain. We'll see lots of infrastructure changes for the better in addition to new attractions in the next few years. I'm excited to see what "older refurbished" flat rides are brought back from Europe by CF and which parks get what rides.

More family & thrilling attractions, maybe even a dark ride. I don't foresee another large $20+ million coaster anytime soon though. KD has only invested over $15 million on a coaster three times in the entire lifetime of the park. Volcano ($20m) in 1998, XLC ($15m) in 2002, and Intimidator ($25m) in 2010.

That's why I said RMC. They are not that expensive, unless it's a launched one like Dollywood is getting, which KD won't.

More family & thrilling attractions, maybe even a dark ride. I don't foresee another large $20+ million coaster anytime soon though. KD has only invested over $15 million on a coaster three times in the entire lifetime of the park. Volcano ($20m) in 1998, XLC ($15m) in 2002, and Intimidator ($25m) in 2010.

That's why I said RMC. They are not that expensive, unless it's a launched one like Dollywood is getting, which KD won't.

CF is really particular with company's they use. I just dont picture them using RMC for a while. I think they will watch how they age and go from there.

CF is really particular with company's they use. I just dont picture them using RMC for a while. I think they will watch how they age and go from there.

I think 2017 is when they build their first RMC. They've been looking into them for a while.