TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

hit the park on Monday. Not too crowded. Had a blast. observations:

- all coasters running very well! i305 remains the best ride on the planet.

- said my goodbyes to Shockwave. that first drop and loop are underrated! i won't speak ill of the doomed today.

- that 50s diner, i forget what it's called now, used to be Stan Mikita's ... was offering 3 different beers. Coors Light, Bud Light, and Miller Light. like, why bother? that's like offering three different brands of bottled water. other places in the park have stuff like Yuengling or even Old Bust Head (local craft brewery). cart a keg over there, KD! it's not so much that the beers are crappy (i get wanting a light crisp lager) but offering 3 near-identical beers with no variety is no bueno.

- also some condiment weirdness at that place. i had to ask where the ketchup was. they had hidden the ketchup in giant yellow mustard containers. alright. also asked for salt (for the completely unsalted french fries) and they acted like it was the strangest, most exotic request they'd ever heard. they had none. they had lots of pepper packets, though. hey, i get that these are kids with summer jobs, not professional restauranteurs. it's fine. they do a pretty good job. i just thought it was funny that a request for salt baffled the employees of a burger and fries joint.

- some of the ops for flat rides, particularly in the kids section, were working at a pace i can only describe as GLACIAL. i walked to the other side of the park, rode i305, flight of fear, and Volcano, walked back, and my kids had only ridden 2 kiddie rides in that time (snoopy nests, and the mini train). and it's not like there were long lines - it was a Monday. there had only been one or two cycle of riders in front of them for both rides. these rides were doing like one cycle every 15 minutes it seemed. maybe less. Sadly, we got out of line of Flying Eagles for the same reason. a shame, because it's one of my daughter's favorites. there were only about 2-3 cycles worth in front of us in line, but it looked like it was going to take a good 45 minutes.

- the water park was great! my son was juuuust tall enough to ride his first water slides.

- daughter rode Ricochet for the first time. loved it!

- both rode log flume for the first time. loved that too!

overall a great day at the park. can't wait to go back.

Made my first ever visit to the park today and had a fantastic time. It was a pretty quiet day so we managed to get plenty of rides in. Arrived at the park for opening and managed to get 21 rides in, 8 laps on i305, 4 on Dominator, 2 on Volcano and one lap on all the other coasters except for Ricochet. I305 was running one train but only had a 5 minute queue to give some idea of how quiet the park was.

I305 was amazing, easily the best coaster I have ever ridden. Those fast turns where you get whipped from one side to another were brilliant. Can't wait to try out Fury 325 on Friday to see how they compare. Dominator and Volcano were also both great rides. There were some really awful coasters at this park too, Shockwave, Anaconda, Grizzly and Hurler were all terrible, thank god Shockwave is getting torn down!

I had no idea this was such a beautiful looking park either, loads of trees everywhere was great to see. All in all, a brilliant first visit to Kings Dominion, hope to make it back someday!

Made my first ever visit to the park today and had a fantastic time. It was a pretty quiet day so we managed to get plenty of rides in. Arrived at the park for opening and managed to get 21 rides in, 8 laps on i305, 4 on Dominator, 2 on Volcano and one lap on all the other coasters except for Ricochet. I305 was running one train but only had a 5 minute queue to give some idea of how quiet the park was.

I305 was amazing, easily the best coaster I have ever ridden. Those fast turns where you get whipped from one side to another were brilliant. Can't wait to try out Fury 325 on Friday to see how they compare. Dominator and Volcano were also both great rides. There were some really awful coasters at this park too, Shockwave, Anaconda, Grizzly and Hurler were all terrible, thank god Shockwave is getting torn down!

I had no idea this was such a beautiful looking park either, loads of trees everywhere was great to see. All in all, a brilliant first visit to Kings Dominion, hope to make it back someday!

Glad you had a great first visit to Kings Dominion! Kings Dominion is truly a beautiful park, but its beautifulness is way underated due to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, the world's most beautiful theme park being only about an hour away. I'm happy Shockwave is leaving and agree that both Shockwave and Hurler are awful coasters, but I think Andaconda and Grizzly are okay and not bad.

Please post back once you've ridden Fury 325 to tell us how you think it compares to I305.

I'm sure a a lot of us would be interested in your opinion!

Edited by Bmanscool

I rather like Grizzly personally. I find that rough old wooden coasters is half the charm of them. The reason I hate Mean Streak is because it's rough AND boring. Grizzly I find fun though!

If they did topper track for Hurler, but left the same layout, I'd be down. I like the layout because it's kinda different from most woodies, but it has not aged well at all, that's for sure.

As I've said before, my gripe with Shockwave is the capacity. If it loaded faster I wouldn't mind it. I also like Anaconda, though it is from the dying breed of coaster you need to be taught "how to ride," which is definitely falling out of favor.

Then again, considering there are people complaining that rides like Alpengeist and Rougarou are too rough, I'm convinced that if we got rid of any coasters less rough than Banshee, people would be out complaining how rough Banshee is...

I rather like Grizzly personally. I find that rough old wooden coasters is half the charm of them. The reason I hate Mean Streak is because it's rough AND boring. Grizzly I find fun though!

If they did topper track for Hurler, but left the same layout, I'd be down. I like the layout because it's kinda different from most woodies, but it has not aged well at all, that's for sure.

As I've said before, my gripe with Shockwave is the capacity. If it loaded faster I wouldn't mind it. I also like Anaconda, though it is from the dying breed of coaster you need to be taught "how to ride," which is definitely falling out of favor.

Then again, considering there are people complaining that rides like Alpengeist and Rougarou are too rough, I'm convinced that if we got rid of any coasters less rough than Banshee, people would be out complaining how rough Banshee is...

Alpengeist is brutal. It needs those vest restraints BADLY. I've never head anyone say Rougarou is rough, just a slight rattle at the end like Dominator.

We found Grizzly to be the best wooden in the park, not brutally rough at all. Can't be that sensitive.

I had zero head banging on Anaconda, I still don't get why people call this ride rough.

Shockwave wasn't that bad, I was positioned well and I found it to be better than Green Lantern and Apocalypse.

I will agree that Hurler has some rough spots.

^ Anaconda can really suck in some cars if you aren't bracing at all, ESPECIALLY the transition between the two helixs. However, much like the snap onto the brake run of Alpengeist or Raptor, or going into any other weird Arrow transition, if you just hold on for a moment, or stick your neck out (or both) you'll be fine.

Alpengeist is brutal. It needs those vest restraints BADLY. I've never head anyone say Rougarou is rough, just a slight rattle at the end like Dominator.

I think alpenguist is extremely smooth except for the cobra roll, and I thought rougarou was smooth but boring. I think dominator is extremely smooth too.

^ not on many, the reach envelope is small on many, since the horse collars are designed to keep your arms down. Actually Arrows used to have smaller harnesses that were less restrictive, and were changed so that people couldn't put their hands out anymore since the cars go way closer to structure and obstacles than more modern coasters.

Here's what the old harnesses looked like.

^^-- I can't think of anywhere on Anaconda that would be a problem. Except maybe Arrow's smaller coasters, the reach envelope is usually huge. Touching the wheels could be a problem maybe. I was concussed once so hard on it I was affected for 3 days. I'm now very careful about riding it but still do. They did seem to improve it for 2014. I saw new paint on the "spot" and of course there's more new paint now. I don't know what else they could have done, but it does really help. Otherwise I'd say get rid of ASAP, for their own sake!

Yeah man! And Hurler has that problem now of being rough AND boring (not even that rough, but what else is there to notice except that what a tragedy?). Thunder Run, considered an inspiration for Hurler's layout, got topper track and one reviewer described it as now one of the best wood coasters. Sure, no inversions etc., but what's wrong with a coaster restored to run as good or better than the day it opened? I'd miss the jackhammer first curve but am intrigued by how it would ride if smooth and fast too. Maybe even with a little tricky RMC twisty bits it would come across as the mini-wood-I305. And you have to remember the difference between a straight Topper track job and a full I-Box conversion is like a Hyundai vs. Ferrari pricewise. They could go on to other major improvements in only 1-2 years rather than 5.

^^-- I can't think of anywhere on Anaconda that would be a problem. Except maybe Arrow's smaller coasters, the reach envelope is usually huge. Touching the wheels could be a problem maybe. I was concussed once so hard on it I was affected for 3 days. I'm now very careful about riding it but still do. They did seem to improve it for 2014. I saw new paint on the "spot" and of course there's more new paint now. I don't know what else they could have done, but it does really help. Otherwise I'd say get rid of ASAP, for their own sake!

Yeah man! And Hurler has that problem now of being rough AND boring (not even that rough, but what else is there to notice except that what a tragedy?). Thunder Run, considered an inspiration for Hurler's layout, got topper track and one reviewer described it as now one of the best wood coasters. Sure, no inversions etc., but what's wrong with a coaster restored to run as good or better than the day it opened? I'd miss the jackhammer first curve but am intrigued by how it would ride if smooth and fast too. Maybe even with a little tricky RMC twisty bits it would come across as the mini-wood-I305. And you have to remember the difference between a straight Topper track job and a full I-Box conversion is like a Hyundai vs. Ferrari pricewise. They could go on to other major improvements in only 1-2 years rather than 5.

Hurler is boring still even with topper track. It's not like the Phoenix where it's restraint system allows for tons of airtime. I think Hurler eventually needs to be either torn down or given the iron horse treatment, which is still less expensive than most coasters.

The vertical loop would most probably be an issue, the clearance on the entry and exit is very tight. I think this goes for the vertical loops on all Arrow coasters. Talking specifically about Anaconda, I would say that the tunnel also looks quite tight on the sides, and there are also some supports between the loop and the sidewinder that looks very close to the track. This is a bit hard to judge from video though.

^ agreed! The loops alone are enough of a problem. The only Arrow that I think might have had a large enough envelope to get a lap bar conversion was Drachen Fire, and honestly, I wish it had. Arrow kept their vertical loops very tight. Then again, I really like how close Arrow coasters get to various elements because of this. LNM, Demon, Anaconda, Canyon Blaster, and countless others get very close to various structure, theming, and scenery since they know you can't put your hands up.

Hurler is boring still even with topper track. It's not like the Phoenix where it's restraint system allows for tons of airtime. I think Hurler eventually needs to be either torn down or given the iron horse treatment, which is still less expensive than most coasters.

But you have to remember that not every coaster should be an intensity machine. Hurler's layout is a good first coaster for new riders. If you take it and change it into an RMC, you just took a coaster from one demographic of riders, and gave it to the demographic or rider who has i305, volcano, fof, dominator, and others already in their line up. I know lots of enthusiasts want more extreme, more thrills, but that is not really the best business move for a park that wants to reach a large audience. Really if they can just smooth it out, then they have a good coaster for a particles audience.

But you have to remember that not every coaster should be an intensity machine. Hurler's layout is a good first coaster for new riders. If you take it and change it into an RMC, you just took a coaster from one demographic of riders, and gave it to the demographic or rider who has i305, volcano, fof, dominator, and others already in their line up. I know lots of enthusiasts want more extreme, more thrills, but that is not really the best business move for a park that wants to reach a large audience. Really if they can just smooth it out, then they have a good coaster for a particles audience.
There are already a lot of coasters other than hurler at KD that could easily be someone's first coaster, rebel yell, grizzly, ricochet, backlot stunt coaster, avalanche, and Woodstock express... I really don't think that is something KD is lacking.

^^ most people consider i305 one of the most intense coasters in the world. Volcano is a one of a kind thrill. Fof is a launch and in the dark. Then you have Dominator, Anaconda, Grizzly, and Rebel Yell, all well in the thrill category. Explain to me how they are "lacking" in thrill coasters? I305 can keep that in check all on its own.

Also, while yes Avalanche is another good example, grizzly, stunt coaster, and rebel yell are definitely more in the "thrill" category when it comes to young and new riders. Hurler has one drop, and since the lift and drop are often the scariest part for new riders, it's the perfect fit. Grizzly and Rebel yell are far from good first coasters, and plenty of young riders would be afraid of a launch, even as tame as Backlot. Also kiddie coasters are kiddie coaster. That doesn't count as a first "grown up" coaster.

^^ most people consider i305 one of the most intense coasters in the world. Volcano is a one of a kind thrill. Fof is a launch and in the dark. Then you have Dominator, Anaconda, Grizzly, and Rebel Yell, all well in the thrill category. Explain to me how they are "lacking" in thrill coasters? I305 can keep that in check all on its own.

Also, while yes Avalanche is another good example, grizzly, stunt coaster, and rebel yell are definitely more in the "thrill" category when it comes to young and new riders. Hurler has one drop, and since the lift and drop are often the scariest part for new riders, it's the perfect fit. Grizzly and Rebel yell are far from good first coasters, and plenty of young riders would be afraid of a launch, even as tame as Backlot. Also kiddie coasters are kiddie coaster. That doesn't count as a first "grown up" coaster.

Grizzly and Rebel Yell are fine. Hurler is worse because of how brutally rough it is. Trust me, Hurler's days are numbered.

KD could use a multi-launch family coaster. I believe it would help diversify the line-up of family rides. Something like Manta, but more sprawling.

KD could use a multi-launch family coaster. I believe it would help diversify the line-up of family rides. Something like Manta, but more sprawling.

*cough Backlot *cough

We need another legit coaster.