TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

And it's a piece of crap. Cedar Fair isn't known recently to leave inoperative coasters SBNO.

Well, while the ride is dated, and many enthusiasts don't like stand ups, I don't think you can call it a piece of crap. Togo over engineered their rides like crazy. It was well machined, well built, and KD has said more than once that it's their most reliable coaster.

It's likely going away for the same reasons the KI and CW ones did: low capacity, low ridership. Your opinions of the ride itself aside, from an engineering standpoint, that ride could keep going indefinitely.

This is almost certainly coming out to be replaced, not because they want it gone for the sake of gone.

And it's a piece of crap. Cedar Fair isn't known recently to leave inoperative coasters SBNO.

Well, while the ride is dated, and many enthusiasts don't like stand ups, I don't think you can call it a piece of crap. Togo over engineered their rides like crazy. It was well machined, well built, and KD has said more than once that it's their most reliable coaster.

It's likely going away for the same reasons the KI and CW ones did: low capacity, low ridership. Your opinions of the ride itself aside, from an engineering standpoint, that ride could keep going indefinitely.

This is almost certainly coming out to be replaced, not because they want it gone for the sake of gone.

I absolutely agree. When I said the ride is crap I meant the ride experience, not the physical composition of the materials.

I think Shockwave was a good coaster, in fact would have been great if twice as long (but not twice as painful) and taken half as long to get on and off of. Its time has come because 29 years is just right, not too long, but yeah yeah yeah enough... they got their money's worth LOL. And hopefully to put something really cool there!

I absolutely agree. When I said the ride is crap I meant the ride experience, not the physical composition of the materials.

Oh, gotcha! Yeah, it's pretty dated. It's a shame there's no sit down conversion option, since that would be a great "first looper" for kids if so, but I'm sure whatever replaces it will be better.

Hello all,

I'm going to Kings Dominion for my first visit ever on September 5 which is a Saturday. Since I live in NJ this will be my only visit this season. Should I go ahead and splurge on FastLane or are the lines like those at Dorney Park?

The lines are not too bad but Volcano and Intimidator can get pretty crowded so ride those first.

Hello all,

I'm going to Kings Dominion for my first visit ever on September 5 which is a Saturday. Since I live in NJ this will be my only visit this season. Should I go ahead and splurge on FastLane or are the lines like those at Dorney Park?

When I went last month, I was in the same situation as you (Coming from NJ, only one chance to go). I say you should definitely wait until you get to the park to buy a Fastlane. The lines can be really long on Weekends (they were extremely long the day I went so I went ahead and bought a Fastlane). Gauge how crowded it is then decide whether to buy one or not.

^Oddly enough, the Togo stand-ups in Japan tend to be better.

It must be those world's slowest lifts. Maybe these things are designed to drag through their courses?

A Hurler/Grizzly hybrid would arguably be the best ride in the park, even outdoing I305.

A topper track only conversion of the two would be amazing indeed.

I just got told to stop snapping the flyers so much. Yes, the Kings Dominion flyers. Her exact words were "Okay if you ride again, can you NOT make the ride bounce on its cords? I stop the ride every time you do that."

I didn't think it was possible based on the last 6 years of riding KD's previously crappy flyers, but I was bouncing pretty good. The only flyers that have given me trouble are at Lake Compounce.

Edited by Oryp

^Oddly enough, the Togo stand-ups in Japan tend to be better.

It must be those world's slowest lifts. Maybe these things are designed to drag through their courses?

A Hurler/Grizzly hybrid would arguably be the best ride in the park, even outdoing I305.

A topper track only conversion of the two would be amazing indeed.

No I meant an RMC hybrid. Both aren't that great anyways. It could be the longest hybrid on earth or something like that.

No I meant an RMC hybrid. Both aren't that great anyways. It could be the longest hybrid on earth or something like that.

Good luck getting the GP's attention with that type of marketing.

They'll probably think it's a car.

I'm still waiting for a topper-track only conversion.

Good luck getting the GP's attention with that type of marketing.

They'll probably think it's a car.

I'm still waiting for a topper-track only conversion.

It would still be pretty bad if it was only topper track. Now if it was completely new topper track (like Outlaw Run), then that would be cool.

So, I was on the KD front page. Then, I found something.

It appears the park is having a Coaster Campout as well. Its from August 20th to 21st, and it appears to be similar to Cedar Point's. It is right on the front page of the website, as well as under their Special Events tab if anyone wants to check it out...(I couldn't get the link to work.. )

When I visited on a Saturday last month, the park was massively crowded. After waiting in Dominator's non-moving line for ten minutes I bounced and snatched up a Fast Lane Plus, and didn't look back. Well worth the purchase. That being said, if you're visiting in September, it's entirely possible it may be less crowded, so I have to second everyone else in saying wait until you get there, gauge how the crowds look, and if it seems like it's going to be too much waiting, then yes, definitely pick one up.