TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I absolutely love both rides, but give Intimidator 305 the edge as I find it more of a 'comfortable' ride than Maverick.

Interesting. I thought both were super comfortable, but I never really had a problem with the old restraints on Maverick either. I agree that the two are very comparable, I went back and forth on my rankings quite a bit before deciding that I305 is simply too good. Having no line might have swayed me more than anything, although I loved the beach ball that Cedar Point allowed people to use while in the queue for Maverick.

Kings Dominion is a great park! Just made my first trip there last week.

I305 was the best coaster I've ever been on. Maverick and Fury325 are close, but that ride is relentless from start to finish. Really made the park for me.

Nice. Not everyone can handle the ferociousness of the ride haha

I found Maverick to be more enjoyable than i305. It just does more than curves and speed, which isn't much when it comes to overall ride experience. Although it does pack a lot of intensity, but not quite enough to negate its stale variety. Dominator is my favorite ride in the park, followed by a tie between Volcano & i305. I didn't find Anaconda that rough (I don't see where the complaints are coming from), it was fairly fun. Rebel Yell had the best airtime out of all the coasters I rode that day, one of the better racing coasters I've been on. Hurler was a piece of garbage, it needs to be burned to the ground.

omg another dominator lover!!! EEEEEEEE! I love dominator! I rode it 7 times without getting off once...

omg another dominator lover!!! EEEEEEEE! I love dominator! I rode it 7 times without getting off once...

I did that too, once, although I think it was actually eight times for me! Additionally, that was when it was still at Geagua Lake, during an enthusiast event. Definitely one of my favorite Floorless coasters (behind my beloved Kraken, of course!)

I saw those flags along the ShockWave side of the center walkway a couple weeks ago. They look more like landscaping / irrigation markers than for survey construction flags. They could be used to mark where the electrical lines are for the nighttime light show on the center pathway. Those electric cables run on both sides of the path, from the Eiffel Tower to the bottom of the path behind the Country Kitchen on one side and the Shockwave Helix on the other.

I am surprised that the Country Kitchen is closed. I know the park keeps a tight reign on the operating budget. If they don't expect/project a certain number of visitors for that day, certain food places are shuttered to save on daily operational expenses. But, usually those are the mid-sized to small food locations. Usually, the major food places are kept open, like the Country Kitchen.

Come to think of it, I thought I saw folks complaining that the AC in the Country Kitchen was intermittent or not working at all. With temps in the mid to upper 90's in central VA over the last few weeks, the dining, serving, and kitchen areas would be miserable for everyone. Maybe KD just closed the restaurant until they fix the AC.

As far as 2016 goes, I just keep an open mind. My best conjecture at this point is a flat-ride package and some more upgrades to Candy Apple Grove next year. I feel 2017 is the year of the coaster for KD.

I agree that flats are likely coming in 2016 with the coaster in 2017, but these flags are labeled "John Deere Landscaping", and mark a variety of trees. To me, this seems like the only kind of "landscaping" possible in the middle of a bunch of trees is tree removal. If one were to include the newest markers and to assume (although this is, again, speculation) that the Country Kitchen is to be removed as well as the adjacent Shockwave, then one would be left with a plot slightly smaller than that which Dominator, a medium-large B&M floorless coaster occupies. Therefore, I doubt that a new, large B&M coaster will replace Dominator, but rather a collection of flat rides. This flat ride collection would likely include any combination of the following rides (listed from most to least likely):

FunTime SlingShot (upcharge; $25 per rider)

Zamperla Disk'o "Coaster"

HUSS Enterprise 2G/2G Plus (according to one of my inside sources, who is NOT the Dippin' Dots guy , this is what the park is leaning towards, although it's uncertain whether or not CF will approve it, so it's anyone's guess at this point).

HUSS Giant Frisbee

I saw those flags along the ShockWave side of the center walkway a couple weeks ago. They look more like landscaping / irrigation markers than for survey construction flags. They could be used to mark where the electrical lines are for the nighttime light show on the center pathway. Those electric cables run on both sides of the path, from the Eiffel Tower to the bottom of the path behind the Country Kitchen on one side and the Shockwave Helix on the other.

I am surprised that the Country Kitchen is closed. I know the park keeps a tight reign on the operating budget. If they don't expect/project a certain number of visitors for that day, certain food places are shuttered to save on daily operational expenses. But, usually those are the mid-sized to small food locations. Usually, the major food places are kept open, like the Country Kitchen.

Come to think of it, I thought I saw folks complaining that the AC in the Country Kitchen was intermittent or not working at all. With temps in the mid to upper 90's in central VA over the last few weeks, the dining, serving, and kitchen areas would be miserable for everyone. Maybe KD just closed the restaurant until they fix the AC.

As far as 2016 goes, I just keep an open mind. My best conjecture at this point is a flat-ride package and some more upgrades to Candy Apple Grove next year. I feel 2017 is the year of the coaster for KD.

I agree that flats are likely coming in 2016 with the coaster in 2017, but these flags are labeled "John Deere Landscaping", and mark a variety of trees. To me, this seems like the only kind of "landscaping" possible in the middle of a bunch of trees is tree removal. If one were to include the newest markers and to assume (although this is, again, speculation) that the Country Kitchen is to be removed as well as the adjacent Shockwave, then one would be left with a plot slightly smaller than that which Dominator, a medium-large B&M floorless coaster occupies. Therefore, I doubt that a new, large B&M coaster will replace Dominator, but rather a collection of flat rides. This flat ride collection would likely include any combination of the following rides (listed from most to least likely):

FunTime SlingShot (upcharge; $25 per rider)

Zamperla Disk'o "Coaster"

HUSS Enterprise 2G/2G Plus (according to one of my inside sources, who is NOT the Dippin' Dots guy , this is what the park is leaning towards, although it's uncertain whether or not CF will approve it, so it's anyone's guess at this point).

HUSS Giant Frisbee

Why the HELL would Kings Dominion remove Dominator? It's in great shape and is an easy looper for a lot of people. Not to mention it's a people eater.

EDIT: Unless you mean Shockwave. In that case, a coaster would start around Shockwave's land and head towards the front.

^ I think he means Shockwave, and accidentally typed Dominator since he was using it as reference for the plot size. Honestly, anything is possible, and I bet it's completely plausible B&M could put something in there, but honestly, unless you're talking a ride the size of BTR or Iron Wolf, you're probably not looking at a B&M. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing a 90s style, small, high force, high intensity B&M be built, but given their recent "as smooth and forceless as possible" creations, I won't be holding my breath.

I'd say flat rides, or a medium family coaster a la Verbolten or Lightning Run would be what would round the park out best, but KD could be building anything. We should be inching closer to an announcement though, so hopefully there isn't too much more shotgun guessing!

^ I think he means Shockwave, and accidentally typed Dominator since he was using it as reference for the plot size. Honestly, anything is possible, and I bet it's completely plausible B&M could put something in there, but honestly, unless you're talking a ride the size of BTR or Iron Wolf, you're probably not looking at a B&M. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing a 90s style, small, high force, high intensity B&M be built, but given their recent "as smooth and forceless as possible" creations, I won't be holding my breath.

I'd say flat rides, or a medium family coaster a la Verbolten or Lightning Run would be what would round the park out best, but KD could be building anything. We should be inching closer to an announcement though, so hopefully there isn't too much more shotgun guessing!

Sorry, I meant Shockwave .

a medium family coaster a la Verbolten

Backlot Stunt Coaster says hi.

I don't get it.....I went on anaconda yesterday for the first time ever and found it smooth and fun. We sat in the back seat and there was zero head banging. Just one jolt into the butterfly turn but that was it. I love the drop into the first two loops. The corkscrew was fun too, it was like slow motion.

Shockwave was fun too. The last turn around before the brakes was the only brutal part. Loved the air time and the loop was very forceful. Operations were fine, better than apocalypse and green lantern. The line was overflowing all day, but it moved right along. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

Apacolypse and lantern were the only two stand ups that I have gone on before this, I found this to be better than both.

I don't get it.....I went on anaconda yesterday for the first time ever and found it smooth and fun. We sat in the back seat and there was zero head banging. Just one jolt into the butterfly turn but that was it. I love the drop into the first two loops. The corkscrew was fun too, it was like slow motion.

Shockwave was fun too. The last turn around before the brakes was the only brutal part. Loved the air time and the loop was very forceful. Operations were fine, better than apocalypse and green lantern. The line was overflowing all day, but it moved right along. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

Apacolypse and lantern were the only two stand ups that I have gone on before this, I found this to be better than both.

You have been brainwashed by the TOGO demon! The only antidote is to ride an incredibly smooth B&M!

I wonder if they could build something like the cannibal Roller coaster at lagoon theme park?

LOL, seeing as Cannibal was built by lagoon (in-house!!!!!), I doubt it

Has anyone checked the Golden Horse Web site? There could already be a Chinese knock-off version available.

I wonder if they could build something like the cannibal Roller coaster at lagoon theme park?

Has anyone checked the Golden Horse Web site? There could already be a Chinese knock-off version available.

What's that?

What's that?

4d67676f2478e5cdb64b3008e06f51da.jpg

Then again, it wasn't a particularly good joke.

Edited by cfc

You have been brainwashed by the TOGO demon! The only antidote is to ride an incredibly smooth B&M!

B&M's have an annoying rattle to them.....

Am I the only one who's just being confused by Cedar Fair this year? So far we have rumors of coasters here, CP, CW, VF, And WoF... Either we're all gonna be dissapointed or amazingly surprised.

Are you high? Alpengeist, yes, but the vast majority of B&M are VERY smooth.

Are you high? Alpengeist, yes, but the vast majority of B&M are VERY smooth.

They are also not very exciting, the vast majority of them that is