TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The fact that it's closing so early in the season is a good sign...

HUSS giant frisbee possibly?

To be fair, ANYTHING can happen with it closing this early! Remember dismantling of Disaster Transport didn't begin until August 6th for GateKeeper. I'm not saying expect a GateKeeper sized coaster, but with the August 9th removal date it definitely seems like they're making way for something of significant value in 2016.

If you've watched Coaster Studios, he predicted that Kings Dominion will get a 200 ft tall invert. That would be epic. Either that or a launched wingrider.

Why the heck to people take Coaster Studios so seriously? He's a teenager that either states rumors going around and acts like he thought of them or just makes up dumb predictions. He has no more insight into what parks are adding than you and me.

A 200 ft invert would not fit in the site at all. Maybe in the future, but not in Shockwave's location.

I enjoyed Shockwave's stand-up airtime, paint job, and general awkwardness more than any of the park's blah to awful wooden coaster collection, so I'd rather it had stayed. But maintenance is maintenance.

Whatever, Dominion is worth the admission price just for the short lines on I-305. I don't see anything coming here that would attract me back more than that does.

I am planning a 3 day trip to Kings Dominion to get a ride on hopefully ll the coasters including Shockwave. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good day to be at the park where its not busy and should i buy Fastlane? This trip will commence in little less than 3 weeks.

I am planning a 3 day trip to Kings Dominion to get a ride on hopefully ll the coasters including Shockwave. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good day to be at the park where its not busy and should i buy Fastlane? This trip will commence in little less than 3 weeks.

If it's a hot day, most people will be in the waterpark in the morning.

We were just there three weeks ago Friday, and it wasn't crowded at all. . and it was a hot day.

Follow the suggestions, and go to Volcano first.

we did Volcano, Avalanche, Intimidator, Flight of Fear, Anaconda first thing after rope drop, and we had no problems hitting all these early, and then going to the other side of he park in the afternoon!

We were just there three weeks ago Friday, and it wasn't crowded at all. . and it was a hot day.

we did Volcano, Avalanche, Intimidator, Flight of Fear, Anaconda first thing after rope drop, and we had no problems hitting all these early, and then going to the other side of he park in the afternoon!

okay thank you so much. This will probabily be the one and only time I go to Kings Dominion (even though i get in free to all Cedar Fair owned parks). I would like to get Every coaster done. I may go to Volcano first, just like how I go to Firehawk/ FOF at Kings island.

okay thank you so much. This will probabily be the one and only time I go to Kings Dominion (even though i get in free to all Cedar Fair owned parks). I would like to get Every coaster done. I may go to Volcano first, just like how I go to Firehawk/ FOF at Kings island.

Volcano 1st at 10:30 rope drop really is a must. It's got terrible capacity (and it's an amazing coaster).

once the line gets long, it never gets short, and you can expect 30 minute + waits (at minimum)

The fact that it's closing so early in the season is a good sign...

HUSS giant frisbee possibly?

To be fair, ANYTHING can happen with it closing this early! Remember dismantling of Disaster Transport didn't begin until August 6th for GateKeeper. I'm not saying expect a GateKeeper sized coaster, but with the August 9th removal date it definitely seems like they're making way for something of significant value in 2016.

If you've watched Coaster Studios, he predicted that Kings Dominion will get a 200 ft tall invert. That would be epic. Either that or a launched wingrider.

I just watched the latest "Coaster Studios" video. His video explained why Nitro is better than Skyrush. And that he hasn't ridden with in 2+ years.

Please, stop taking fanboys' speculation as credible or reality. It's stupid.

All I have to say is poor Dorney, poor, poor Dorney. Lol

This would be the ultimate troll on Dorney if they got Shockwave. If that ever happened I wouldn't even be mad, I'd take it as a joke and ride the hell out of it every visit. Even if I already have the credit now.

Sayonara, Shockwave! The only thing I can say is the new paint job made it look nice. That plot of land is very tiny and I can't imagine they'd fit anything in there but a few more flats. They might as well rename Candy Apple Grove "Flatville" which is not a complaint, merely stating facts. I'd absolutely love to see an S&S screaming swing (Skyhawk) put in and a giant frisbee would be fun. If they scrapped Anaconda, which I don't foresee happening anytime soon, and put in a wing rider on the water there they'd have a long-term winner on their hands.

With several parks within a couple hours of the DC area the GP has a ton of parks/rides to choose from. For them it's not always about being the biggest, baddest, and craziest with tons of inversions which is pretty evident when you look at the lines of various rides at parks. Volcano always has a long line. Apollo's Chariot always has a long line. I-305? 10 mins. Alpengeist? 10 mins. I'd be happy to see a Gatekeeper installed at KD. Or an El Toro. Or a Maverick. Please, Cedar Fair!!! Hear our cries!

They could keep going with the nostalgia thing and buy one of those brand new Huss Enterprises that were just announced. (The 2G-Plus version, hopefully.) Or maybe get Carowinds' enterprise and rename it Apple Turnover. (Then Carowinds could get the new version, which maybe fits with that Wright Bros/Kitty Hawk picture they put as a hint?) I could see a new restaurant joining a flat. They need a new one. I think the newest sit-down restaurant we ever got was Stan Mikita's back in 1994. The rest have just been rethemed. If they don't do another restaurant, maybe we get one the other Cedar Fair park's Monsters? I mean, I'd prefer some sort of frisbee-type ride, I always thought that spot was perfect for a giant frisbee, but do they still make that version? Maybe KI would give up theirs?

Looks like the 2016 prediction that I made on my YouTube channel two weeks ago is on its way to becoming reality...

The video description states this:

A swarm will descend upon central Virginia in Spring 2016 as Kings Dominion unleashes Fury, the world's tallest and fastest giga slingshot. Heralded as the largest, single investment in the history of Kings Dominion since Intimidator 305, Fury will embody the fierce attributes of a hornet, boldly transforming the cursed plot of land once occupied by the Shockwave and Galaxie roller coasters.

Shockwave Floorless conversion!

I'm not sure if any company would want to convert a TOGO stand up coaster into a floorless, but my wild guess on the fate of Shockwave is that, it's going to Dorney Park AKA Cedar Fair's dumping grounds for used rides!

Well, I didn't mind shockwave one bit. I actually like standups, but I understand I'm in the minority. What I won't miss is the lines on that thing. What a capacity nightmare! I would rather have seen hurler go (since they already have other great wooden options at that park, and Hurler sucks), especially since this is the only Togo standup left in North America, but meh, can't say I'm heartbroken that it's going either.

As to the people calling for Anaconda to be next, you're probably right, but I hope not. I wish someone would come alone and offer a bogie system parks can put on their old Arrow trains to get rid of the headache rattling, instead of just scrapping them as if a ride can't be modified. Hell, look at how much better and smoother Phantom is with the Morgan trains!

As to the speculation for what will be going in, I have a bad feeling it will be a pipescream :/ A more hopeful me would bank on one extreme flat ride, and maybe one medium flat ride.

Of course, looking at the footprint, there might be enough land nearby for a midsize coaster. I know everyone is hoping for a launched wingrider, but I bet an ultralight would do well in that spot! Maybe a Maverick-like coaster is a possibility too!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kings+Dominion/@37.8387238,-77.4447545,151m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b130e911df49fb:0xfb9756c680858525

A pipe scream would be disappointing...If its a flat ride, I want it to be a HUSS Frisbee. It seems possible, and it would fit in the footprint left over. If its a coaster...I'll still be happy. Maverick-like, though? I mean, I305 is kinda like Maverick already, with all of the turns in the middle of the ride. Launched coaster, however? Heck yea.

Anything but a pipe scream though. I just don't like those things.

If Dorney does get Shockwave,

But, who cares about my opinion?

Edited by BeansproutMidget

It really is the end of Cedar Fair standups.

Shockwave wasnt too bad, but the transitions were very rough, the chainlift is almost as slow as a jetcoaster, and you sit on the brake run forever because the loading process is eternally long.

Im actually surprised they're removing it this soon, I thought it had 1 or 2 years left. (If anything, they should have removed Hurler). This basically confirms a new coaster for 2016 or 2017, and I'm sure whatever they replace it with will be worth it

That being said I found this out right after planning a trip to KD yesterday. Im going on July 18th, give or take a day or two, and I'm definitely going to get my last ride on Shockwave. Maybe they'll do a celebration like Carowinds for Thunder Road? I'd like to get some little souvenir. I also want to get in as many coasters as possible so I have a few questions. Will it be crowded around that time? Should I get a Fastlane or Fastlane +? Other than that I should be good

Edited by Coaster Hero

^I agree about the lift chain, but this isn't the "end of Cedar Fair standups", just the end of the contentious Cedar Fair - TOGO relationship (remember the HeadBanger er Windjammer Surf Racers at KBF?). Carowinds and California's Great America still have their B&M standups named "Vortex" (although if the rumors hold true, California's may soon be a floorless). This also doesn't confirm a new coaster for 2016 (although it does significantly increase the probability for 2017, but I'll get to that in a later discussion on a different day when I'm not so tired), and I'd bet that the land is used for two or three large flat rides, one of which will most likely be an upcharge FunTime SlingShot. I agree that flat rides of most varieties are superior to the Shockwave (except for anything upcharge, since I tend to avoid these).

As for your trip, expect fairly large weekend crowds. You should be able to hit all of the coasters at least once (if you stay the whole day), with an opportunity to hit some flats/shows/coaster re-rides (with the exception of Volcano, DO THAT FIRST OR YOU WILL MISS OUT). Good luck finding any Shockwave merchandise, since that ride isn't much for bragging rights (although I'd expect lines to spike here in its final month with plenty of nostalgic fans who will leave green-faced and disappointed). I'd guess that Kings Dominion will do a last rider charity auction, and maybe some giveaways along the way, since they hinted at some "special events", but don't count on anything during your visit. If you're going to focus on Shockwave, don't bother picking up a Fast Lane, since you can't use the passes there, but buy a Fast Lane Plus if you really want to maximize your ride count on just about everything else and/or want more rides on Volcano. Hope this helps!