TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The fact that it's closing so early in the season is a good sign...

HUSS giant frisbee possibly?

To be fair, ANYTHING can happen with it closing this early! Remember dismantling of Disaster Transport didn't begin until August 6th for GateKeeper. I'm not saying expect a GateKeeper sized coaster, but with the August 9th removal date it definitely seems like they're making way for something of significant value in 2016.

Will be interesting to see if it will be scrapped or relocated. I cannot imagine there being a huge demand for old standup coasters, but considering that SkyRider from Canada's Wonderland soon will re-open in Italy I guess anything is possible...

The fact that it's closing so early in the season is a good sign...

HUSS giant frisbee possibly?

To be fair, ANYTHING can happen with it closing this early! Remember dismantling of Disaster Transport didn't begin until August 6th for GateKeeper. I'm not saying expect a GateKeeper sized coaster, but with the August 9th removal date it definitely seems like they're making way for something of significant value in 2016.

If you've watched Coaster Studios, he predicted that Kings Dominion will get a 200 ft tall invert. That would be epic. Either that or a launched wingrider.

Kings Dominion finally pulled the trigger on Shockwave . I have way to many credits on this ride than I care to admit because Kings Dominion is in my region and I never remember this being an enjoyable ride and I always remember thinking why did I get on this thing and when will the banging stop. I am sad to see it go because the coaster count will be going down at Kings Dominion but other than that, good call on their part.

Lets the specualat-o-poolza begin!

1. B&M Winged coaster- Shockwave has a small footprint but there is land near the ride to make space a larger roller coaster near where the Blue Ridge Tollway sits.

2. Upcharge attraction- Grumble, grumble...

3. A legit thrill ride like a Frisbee or a Super Swing.

My bets are with the coaster to cap off the 2 years 40th anniversary celebration.

Kings Dominion finally pulled the trigger on Shockwave . I have way to many credits on this ride than I care to admit because Kings Dominion is in my region and I never remember this being an enjoyable ride and I always remember thinking why did I get on this thing and when will the banging stop. I am sad to see it go because the coaster count will be going down at Kings Dominion but other than that, good call on their part.

Lets the specualat-o-poolza begin!

1. B&M Winged coaster- Shockwave has a small footprint but there is land near the ride to make space a larger roller coaster near where the Blue Ridge Tollway sits.

2. Upcharge attraction- Grumble, grumble...

3. A legit thrill ride like a Frisbee or a Super Swing.

My bets are with the coaster to cap off the 2 years 40th anniversary celebration.

It should be a launched B&M wingrider because they are way more intense than the regular wingrider. It could be like Kingd Dominion's own Maverick.

Given the early dismantling of Shockwave, I can think of few possibilities:

1) The ride is being scrapped.

A. New attraction(s) being added for 2016 on that site.

B. Site will set empty for 2016 and 2016 attraction(s) installed somewhere else.

C. Site will set empty for 2016 and that 2016 is another "off" year for park attractions being added at KD.

2) The ride has been sold

(See A-C above)

I heard a few folks state on other sites that ShockWave's supports were re-painted/touched up this season. If that information is true, then I would lean toward the coaster being sold.

As far as A. though C. goes, I am going to keep an open mind. I am not too keen on another coaster being crammed into that site. Of the 3 Togo Standup coasters in the old KECO park chain, KD's was the shortest in length; due to the limited land they had available to work with. I could see part of the land used for a larger coaster to pass through that area; with the rest of the land used for some future flat ride(s). I never locked in my head that 2016 was a coaster year anyway. I thought 2017 would be viable for a new coaster.

Should be interesting to see what we get for next season.

Didn't seem like there is THAT much space when we watched it a couple of weeks ago (actually RIDE it?. . oh hell no).

I seriously doubt a new coaster is coming in, as KD has a lot of them, and the only thing that would really fit there is a mouse -- which KD already has (so unless they are going to move the mouse there. .. . .and open up THAT space?).

Considering they said they wanted to expand Candy Apple Grove?. . I think you're looking at 2 (maybe 3) new Flats.

one of which is definitely a Frisbee sort ride (KD doesn't have one), or perhaps a Round-up (that would fit in well with the themeing there)

If a coaster isn't replacing ShockWave, I believe we could definitely see a Disk'O coaster. To be honest though, with it being removed so early in the season it is only because of one of these reasons: 1) New coaster OR 2) Sold and moved to another chain/park by a certain date.

Rumor has it Cedar Point opened up a plot of land where the Good Time Theater/Dodgem were for Shockwave due to their lack of stand-up coaster now.

Edit -

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_751d0234-a8bc-584c-b043-728a992a2502.html According the Richmond Times-Dispatch

Kings Dominion plans to make an announcement on a replacement next month.

So 2 things to take from this quote:

1.) August announcement

2.) The site will be used for 2016 and not sit empty until 2017

DORNEY PARK ANNOUNCES VORTEX

In 2016, Dorney Park will open the tallest, fastest, and longest TOGO standup coaster on the planet! Brave the sensation of an 85 foot drop at a stomach-churning 52 degrees straight down, into a forceful vertical loop. But the terror has only started. Embrace a 50 foot tall airtime hill, going directly into an intense double helix. But it's not over yet! Fly through a total of four bunny hills, providing exhilarating pops of airtime, with a disorienting banked turn in between. Riders will be sucked into another dimension of thrills at speeds up to 50 MPH, all standing up! The coaster will have an eye-opening silver track color with navy blue supports!

Vortex! Be amazed by a new kind of thrill!

Opening April 2016

*basks in silence of Shockwave-free future*

One down, two to go (I'm looking at you, Anaconda and Hurler).

Realistically, though, while a new coaster would be nice, that plot ain't large enough.

*UNLESS*

the park also removed Flying Ace and the seldom-used arcade next door (and maybe the All Wheel Sports stadium could be relocated), then you might be able to fit a smaller coaster in that spot.