TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Yeah, I think Shockwave is as good as gone even though I don't hate it as much as Hurler. Also expect either the go-karts or BR tollway to go for a new coaster.

Yeah, Hurler doesn't seem to age well, it seems like it's gotten worse than the previous years.

I don't know if this has already been discussed but has anyone noticed they are letting people onto the top platform of Eiffel tower this year? They unloaded at the bottom one for a while.

For as many times I've been up on the Eiffel Tower, I've always been let onto the top deck. In fact I don't think I've ever been or seen anyone on the bottom deck.

Funny that's there is no evidence of a Shockwave removal and yets there is all this speculation. So canada Wonderland removed theirs? Big deal. Thay doesn't prove anything.

IMO, you guys will get a coaster when they deciede and announce to.

I find nothing wrong with KD's current lineup. A new coaster is always welcomed in my book, but it seems another large investment isn't within KD's reach right now. Hence why the park hasn't seen anything like CP, CW or Carowinds has been receiving. Those parks have the greatest potential according to the people who actually run them, not just enthusiast's speculation, so it only makes sense to invest into those properties accordingly. So I don't understand the crying behind not having a new coaster in 5 years. Believe it or not, Kings Dominion also targets people OTHER than coaster junkies. Hard to believe isn't it? Windseeker, a lovely and expansive children's area, classics being brought back, a waterpark expansion, and countless other additions and amenities have been developed since 2010. It's quite clear that the park is also targeting people outside the coaster fanatic community. So whay do people continue to expect a new coaster to fall out the sky every year? If Kings Dominion hadn't added anything in the past 5 years, the whining could be justifiable. But that's clearly not the case, so please stay calm and enjoy the numerous coasters the park has to offer.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

It was... it was... just a joke... not insulting mocking, or complaining about KD's lineup, just poking fun at how they might try to market a Slingshot (which is still speculation, as I said earlier). ). Intimidator 305 will forever be better than whatever other coaster that they decide to implement at some uncertain point in the future.

There are always more people complaining about the complainers than the complainers in this thread.

Mind blown.

Anyone going to the park soon to find out if there are actually markers around Shockwave? I'll be avoiding the park for a while with KingsFest, Military Days, and Forth of July crowds coming in.

There are always more people complaining about the complainers than the complainers in this thread.

Mind blown.

Anyone going to the park soon to find out if there are actually markers around Shockwave? I'll be avoiding the park for a while with KingsFest, Military Days, and Forth of July crowds coming in.

I might go on Sunday, but I'd assume that a more dedicated fan would visit sooner.

And no, it's definitely NOT a parody.

I made this because you all are being too serious recently. Smile more!

Funny video, but don't break up the nerd fight. It's entertaining.

Nothing like a good nerd fight to make you feel better about your life choices.

I find nothing wrong with KD's current lineup. A new coaster is always welcomed in my book, but it seems another large investment isn't within KD's reach right now. Hence why the park hasn't seen anything like CP, CW or Carowinds has been receiving. Those parks have the greatest potential according to the people who actually run them, not just enthusiast's speculation, so it only makes sense to invest into those properties accordingly. So I don't understand the crying behind not having a new coaster in 5 years. Believe it or not, Kings Dominion also targets people OTHER than coaster junkies. Hard to believe isn't it? Windseeker, a lovely and expansive children's area, classics being brought back, a waterpark expansion, and countless other additions and amenities have been developed since 2010. It's quite clear that the park is also targeting people outside the coaster fanatic community. So whay do people continue to expect a new coaster to fall out the sky every year? If Kings Dominion hadn't added anything in the past 5 years, the whining could be justifiable. But that's clearly not the case, so please stay calm and enjoy the numerous coasters the park has to offer.

Kings Dominion can afford a large investment, but hey wanted to improve the park in other ways first. It's already nice looking, so 2016 and 2017 will be about thrills. After that expect another long break for it.

Funny that's there is no evidence of a Shockwave removal and yets there is all this speculation. So canada Wonderland removed theirs? Big deal. Thay doesn't prove anything.

IMO, you guys will get a coaster when they deciede and announce to.

Apparently the workers there say that it will be removed. I thinks it's very likely it will happen.

The 'Look at the other things they have done" argument is kinda shallow when you factor in that some park in the Cedar Fairs chain in the same year get capital improvement, a roller coaster, and infrastructure improvements. Kings Dominion is located in VA not far from one of the largest metro area's in the country in the DC Metro area. I think Cedar Point is the flagship park and now Carowinds have been designated the growth park and Canda Wonderland has been designated the defacto unspoken "test park". I think I just wish that they would also give Kings Dominion more but I also see the other point which is just that the numbers don't support the investment. KD added Intimidator 305 and it still loses to Busch Gardens with park attendance. KD is in tough market competing against SFA, and BG, they are sandwiched in the middle.

Kings Dominion will always lose to Busch Gardens in attendance. Busch Gardens operating calendar is approximately 40 days longer than Kings Dominion's with it opening earlier in the season, being open 2 weeks for Spring Break, and ChristmasTown. However, the days both parks are open they have very similar attendance ratings.

Shockwave update:

Visited KD for an hour tonight. No flags or markers under or directly around the Shockwave (the supports evidently were repainted recently, though . HOWEVER, the Action Theater was closed (IDK why) and a fair number of unmarked red and orange flags were observed at the base of a number of trees by the kiddie flat behind the Shockwave, the "Flying Ace". Let the flat-for-flat tradeoff speculation commence (although they might be utility markers).

Flying ace and that weird area around it is sort of out of place cause it's not really, like...IN Planet Snoopy. It's like far out lol. It's also a lot like Windseeker. They should do something about that. Also I would like to mention how underrated those drop floor slides are. Those were surprisingly fun lol.

Shockwave update:

Visited KD for an hour tonight. No flags or markers under or directly around the Shockwave (the supports evidently were repainted recently, though . HOWEVER, the Action Theater was closed (IDK why) and a fair number of unmarked red and orange flags were observed at the base of a number of trees by the kiddie flat behind the Shockwave, the "Flying Ace". Let the flat-for-flat tradeoff speculation commence (although they might be utility markers).

I wonder if Shockwave is getting it's supports re-painted because going to get bought by a smaller park, like SkyRider did.

Shockwave update:

I wonder if Shockwave is getting it's supports re-painted because going to get bought by a smaller park, like SkyRider did.

So we're not getting anything new for the upcoming seasons? I have a feeling this park is gonna become like Knotts and the main theme park in the state is gonna be Busch Gardens

But seriously, folks, I just don't understand all the kvetching in this thread. Virginia has two parks that offer different experiences for visitors. That's a good thing.

Shockwave update:

Or moved... I present to you: Michigan's Adventure's new coaster for 2016!

How bad are the lines at Kings Dominion on Fourth of July weekend? Like around an hour wait for everything I'm assuming?

If you're going on the fourth I would suggest getting a Fast Lane as like any park, the holiday weekends tend to be the busiest. Oddly enough, I went last year the day after the fourth (which was also a Saturday) and the crowds were minimal. I'd still go with a Fast Lane just to be on the safe side.