TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ Preach that to yourself. You're the one who begins the complaining in this and other threads nearly every time.

Realistically, if it's not a coaster in 2016, I'm hoping for a thrilling flat ride(s). It's been since 2012 without a new dry thrilling ride (if you count Windseeker as thrilling). I'd also like to see an area spruced up with the flat ride similar to what was done with the Gemini midway at Cedar Point and Route 76 at ValleyFair when their Disk'o coasters were installed. Speaking of those, a Disk'o coaster would do well at Kings Dominion, especially one of the ones that the riders face the outside of the car (Survivor/Tiki Twirl CGA) rather than the CP/VF model. http://www.zamperla.com/products/disko-coaster/

^ Preach that to yourself. You're the one who begins the complaining in this and other threads nearly every time.

Realistically, if it's not a coaster in 2016, I'm hoping for a thrilling flat ride(s). It's been since 2012 without a new dry thrilling ride (if you count Windseeker as thrilling). I'd also like to see an area spruced up with the flat ride similar to what was done with the Gemini midway at Cedar Point and Route 76 at ValleyFair when their Disk'o coasters were installed. Speaking of those, a Disk'o coaster would do well at Kings Dominion, especially one of the ones that the riders face the outside of the car (Survivor/Tiki Twirl CGA) rather than the CP/VF model. http://www.zamperla.com/products/disko-coaster/

^ I literally just said above that I'm done complaining about 2016. Realistically, I'd like to see a Giant Frisbee, since it would be a great fit.

And let's please stop with the Shockwave being torn down predictions. They aren't going to lose the title of oldest remaining standup coaster.

Well it's about the only rumor going around in the enthusiast world regarding the future and I've heard it from others that it has a chance to go within the next two seasons as it was "under consideration".

Plus, Cedar Fair is killing stand ups. Look at SkyRider at Wonderland, Mantis in Cedar Point, and now the rumor of Vortex's 2016 conversion at CA Great America... you can't really convert a crappy TOGO to a new thrilling experience, so you might as well sell or scrap it when land is needed for future expansion.

And let's please stop with the Shockwave being torn down predictions. They aren't going to lose the title of oldest remaining standup coaster.

Why this is a title one would consider worth advertising is beyond me.

I was unaware that they made a big deal out of that now.

"The worst stand-up you'll ride (once)! Ride soon before the wheel assemblies collapse since we've run out of parts!"

Is there any way to contact Pat Jones of Kings Dominion directly? I met her at the park a while back and she is a very sweet women. I would like to message her about something directly. Thanks

https://www.kingsdominion.com/contact-us

Your best bet is to just do the general 'contact us' and address it to her. Surprisingly, Kings Dominion does a nice job at passing along the emails to whoever you're trying to contact. It could take up to 2 weeks for a response though.

I wish Pat Jones had a Twitter, she'd be a good park GM to have one - great personality and strong love for the park.

Thank your so much for the info. I just shot them an email.

"The worst stand-up you'll ride (once)! Ride soon before the wheel assemblies collapse since we've run out of parts!"

The reason I don't see them tearing down Shockwave is because otherwise they wouldn't have a tame looper. Shockwave was the first inverting roller coaster I've been on. And before you say Anaconda, most would rather be pinned down for 30 seconds then get headbang for 2 minutes. Also it's in very good shape (considering this is a TOGO). I find that I305 is down a lot yet Shockwave is always open. For some reason KD takes good care of this coaster. I think Shockwave will be retired in about 7-8 years, but for right now, Cedar Fair wants to milk out the title of oldest standup. IMO Hurler is next on the chopping block.

The reason I don't see them tearing down Shockwave is because otherwise they wouldn't have a tame looper. Shockwave was the first inverting roller coaster I've been on.

Nostalgia is good, but it's not like the ride is iconic in any sense of the term. They spruced it up and gave it a few more years, but it just isn't popular. It has a line because trains take forever to send out, not because it's a fan favorite.

And before you say Anaconda, most would rather be pinned down for 30 seconds then get headbang for 2 minutes.

I would take Anaconda - though I do find it to be just as outdated but significantly uglier - over Shockwave any day. I would be willing to bet that their ridership is actually very similar, with Anaconda's lines slightly shorter because of the much quicker dispatches. Neither is overwhelmingly popular or comfortable.

Also it's in very good shape (considering this is a TOGO). I find that I305 is down a lot yet Shockwave is always open. For some reason KD takes good care of this coaster.

At the same time, Togo is out of business while I-305 has carried Kings Dominion through six years of attendance boosts and capital improvements. Togos can operate just fine, but they're being removed from parks for a reason. Lack of parts, uncomfortable rides...they're just not competing.

I think Shockwave will be retired in about 7-8 years, but for right now, Cedar Fair wants to milk out the title of oldest standup. IMO Hurler is next on the chopping block.

Again, not a title that Kings Dominion is milking. Have they even mentioned it? I'm not sure I've ever heard them say such a thing. And why would they? 'Old' isn't a marketing term, unless you can play on a ride's history (Beast comes to mind). I agree that it could have another few years ahead of it, but I would be genuinely shocked to see it still standing at the end of the decade. Candy Apple Grove has seen a lot of improvements over the last few years, and I would expect to see that continue through the next few as well.

If there ever was a real life Roller Coaster Tycoon coaster that makes park goers say "Roller Coaster 1 is too intense for me" it would be Intimidator 305.

Haha. True.

1. Cedar Fair no longer works with Intamin.

I'm tired of this statement. Has the CFO of Cedar Fair come out and said this? If you have a bad experience with a restaurant where you've been eating good meals for years you sometimes take a break and try it again later. Just because CF hasn't ordered an Intamin for a while doesn't mean they're done with them. Many of their huge marketable successes have been at the hands of Intamin, despite their recent hardship projects with CF.

In response to the inquiries of whether or not a B&M Hyper could be marketable, I think it could. I think the new 'open' staggered seating and a splash down would help distinguish it from I305. Throw in a tunnel or maybe a LED train package and you've got a completely different experience. It wouldn't have to blow anyone out of the water, because that's what I305 already accomplishes. It doesn't need to break any records, it just needs to be fun and full of airtime. See Diamondback for further details

I think it's more along the lines of them having everything they could buy from them right now... If you look at the types of rides being put into the parks, nothing has a "could have been an Intamin" type lately... Fury 325 COULD have been an Intamin, but I don't think they would have one that so close (3-4 hour drive from KD).

If we look at CP, they have a hyper/giga, an accelerator, and a sit down looper (granted Maverick is so much more) the only other styles Intamin offers is a wing coaster (but they have Gatekeeper) and an inverted coaster (which they have raptor).

I'm sure we could see an Intamin Mega coaster at a park like WoF or MA, but I think something from B&M would fit better into the line up at KD than another Intamin. That, in my mind, is why we won't see another Intamin at KD.

Being "nostalgic" about Shockwave is like being nostalgic about your last migraine.

Really? I've never found it to be incredibly rough like Anaconda or Hurler. IMO one of those two should go next year.

My comment can be applied to those two rides, as well.

Being "nostalgic" about Shockwave is like being nostalgic about your last migraine.

Really? I've never found it to be incredibly rough like Anaconda or Hurler. IMO one of those two should go next year.

My comment can be applied to those two rides, as well.

My biggest hope is that Anaconda is removed and some sort of B&M goes over the water as well as behind I305.