TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Don't know if you saw this but

https://dgg7tpqbqoprk.cloudfront.net/galleries/1431380576-78a3011f052ba9a2770c99720f2c0a7f.jpg

if you were to see in the back behind WindSeeker, you would see a orange and green HYPER COASTER.

Please tell me you're joking, did you actually read any of this thread? This exact picture was discussed over the span of about 10 pages... If you think that this picture means anything besides an artist filling in empty space, than your hopes are totally misplaced.

People keep saying that a hyper coaster would be a "downgrade" but in reality, who cares? The types of rides are completely different, I305 for high sustained positive g's and a B&M hyper for lots of floater airtime. The GP certainly won't care, they didn't complain when CP got Maverick after MF, or when CF got WMG. The only people who will care is a couple dozen enthusiasts who happen to care about statistics over experience.

Hasn't there been a rumor floating around that B&M submitted a plan for MF but it was way more expensive than the Intamin plan?

Yeah I heard that one...but did you hear the one about B&M refusing to go over the 230ft mark on ANY coaster ever...

Ahh, 2009. Back when we thought B&Ms were short and forceless.

^Actually it's sorta the opposite. People think old-school B&M's are intense and forceful (ride any one of the Batman clones to find out) and the new, post-Stengel B&M's are forceless for the most part.

Before 2009, people thought B&M only did things one way, but now we know B&M can do whatever the heck they want (Thunderbird is proof)

Our trip is finally here!

Plans right now call for us to be in KD on Friday 6/19, from Open until ~6pm.

we have no real "plan" other than to hit Volcano first, and then simply work our way thru the park, riding things as we get to them.

of course, we're hoping that crowds will be a little light as it's still during the week, even if a Friday. . plan might change if we get there and it's PACKED. . that might mean I have to do some planning (MAYBE a fast pass? tho we tend not to do those).

anyways, if anyone is in the park that day from TPR and sees us, please say hello. . maybe we can ride some things together (since my Partner won't ride: Drop Tower, Intimidator305, Dominator, and probably a few others.

here's what we looked like in November of last year. . I think we still look similar!

10624759_891808650837134_2998224970770159406_n.jpg?oh=2105bde43198ef50d9c4eb04cf8d87e4&oe=56322F30

I hope you enjoy your trip. After you ride Volcano first (like you said, a must), I'd recommend riding Intimidator 305 just in case it goes down that day (although I doubt it will). Intimidator 305 is obviously the standout of the park and it would be a shame to miss out on it because you skipped it earlier in the day.

I hope you enjoy your trip. After you ride Volcano first (like you said, a must), I'd recommend riding Intimidator 305 just in case it goes down that day (although I doubt it will). Intimidator 305 is obviously the standout of the park and it would be a shame to miss out on it because you skipped it earlier in the day.

good plan, thanks for the suggestion.

I've pretty much already decided to skip Shockwave (the only stand up coaster I've ever been on was Batman at Astroworld, and I hated it). . . only if the line is non-existent will I bother, and hopefully that will allow us to get on all the other coasters, and any flats we want to during our stop there

Don't know if you saw this but

https://dgg7tpqbqoprk.cloudfront.net/galleries/1431380576-78a3011f052ba9a2770c99720f2c0a7f.jpg

if you were to see in the back behind WindSeeker, you would see a orange and green HYPER COASTER.

Please tell me you're joking, did you actually read any of this thread? This exact picture was discussed over the span of about 10 pages... If you think that this picture means anything besides an artist filling in empty space, than your hopes are totally misplaced.

So I visited KD this past week, on the 10th, and i noticed that the ride operators were very slow. Not sure if it was because the park was dead or not, but they were very slow. On the other hand, my trip to the park was good. I305 was wonderful. Woodens gave me a headache for the ages. And for working at a Cedar Fair park myself, i've never seen food prices so high before. Will make a trip down again in the future.

Why would KD get a hyper when they already have a giga?? Unless it was a hyper with wing rider trains and a few inversions.

Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds say hello.

Yes, but they built rides that were bigger than what they already had, which was the whole point of building them.

I don't see why KD would install a B&M Hyper and say "come ride our new ride, it is similar to I305, only smaller".

Is there any way to contact Pat Jones of Kings Dominion directly? I met her at the park a while back and she is a very sweet women. I would like to message her about something directly. Thanks

https://www.kingsdominion.com/contact-us

Your best bet is to just do the general 'contact us' and address it to her. Surprisingly, Kings Dominion does a nice job at passing along the emails to whoever you're trying to contact. It could take up to 2 weeks for a response though.

I wish Pat Jones had a Twitter, she'd be a good park GM to have one - great personality and strong love for the park.

Why would KD get a hyper when they already have a giga?? Unless it was a hyper with wing rider trains and a few inversions.

Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds say hello.

Yes, but they built rides that were bigger than what they already had, which was the whole point of building them.

I don't see why KD would install a B&M Hyper and say "come ride our new ride, it is similar to I305, only smaller".

I could see them making it the first-ever inverted hypercoaster or winged hypercoaster. That would actually have a marketing point.

You kd guys seriously wouldn't want an airtime machine? You would rather have a wingrider over a airtime machine? Really? I would love to see a chance hyper gtx or intamin hyper at this park. Hill after rolling hill of airtime goodness. Height doesn't mean anything. Yes the next ride wont be as tall as 1305, doesn't mean it wont be a good ride

You kd guys seriously wouldn't want an airtime machine? You would rather have a wingrider over a airtime machine? Really? I would love to see a chance hyper gtx or intamin hyper at this park. Hill after rolling hill of airtime goodness. Height doesn't mean anything. Yes the next ride wont be as tall as 1305, doesn't mean it wont be a good ride

I don't think that's what anyone is saying. Many are saying they'd love to see one, like you, but it won't happen because it wouldn't be easy to market. The GP barely knows what airtime is, or cares. All they think is "OMGBALLZ IT IS TALL" or "BOOO ITS SMALL"

I'm pretty sure after over hearing many people say I305 was too much for them at Kings Dominion they would welcome an in-between coaster like a hyper.

This. Intimidator 305 is mostly a 1 or 2 times a day type of ride for the GP if they're brave enough to ride it. I live 3 hours from KD and 3 hours from Carowinds and all everyone ever talks about is 'the coaster at Kings Dominion that makes you lose your vision and is super fast'. It's an experience like many of the park goers have never experienced before and often one that some people think is too much to handle. If there ever was a real life Roller Coaster Tycoon coaster that makes park goers say "Roller Coaster 1 is too intense for me" it would be Intimidator 305.

On the other hand, I've been thinking about how well a thrilling family coaster could do at the park. Think something along the lines of Pandemonium at the Six Flags parks. Not only are they thrilling, but they are a hit with families. Ricochet always has one of the longest lines besides the main 'big boy coasters' in the park. I personally would love a Pandemonium-like ride where Shockwave currently sits. Not saying I could see this happening, but I would like it to - just a thought worth sharing.

Kings Dominion's problem is that they have most of the more current types of coaster in some capacity. If the plan is to get ride of the shockwave the space is not very big however there a lot of trees in that area also so maybe that could be used to expand the new coaster footprint. Kings Dominion can be getting anything next season it is so hard to tell with them.

If I had my way I'd like to see them install a launched wing rider from B&M or maybe an Intamin combo inspired by Fahrenheit at Hershey Park and Maverick and Cedar Point. The RMC thing seems enticing too but I feel like RMC is basically making wood roller coaster go extinct.

Kings Dominion's problem is that they have most of the more current types of coaster in some capacity. If the plan is to get ride of the shockwave the space is not very big however there a lot of trees in that area also so maybe that could be used to expand the new coaster footprint. Kings Dominion can be getting anything next season it is so hard to tell with them.

If I had my way I'd like to see them install a launched wing rider from B&M or maybe an Intamin combo inspired by Fahrenheit at Hershey Park and Maverick and Cedar Point. The RMC thing seems enticing too but I feel like RMC is basically making wood roller coaster go extinct.

1. Cedar Fair no longer works with Intamin.

2. RMC only makes crappy wooden coasters go extinct, not to mention they build wooden coasters themselves.

I'm pretty sure after over hearing many people say I305 was too much for them at Kings Dominion they would welcome an in-between coaster like a hyper.

This. Intimidator 305 is mostly a 1 or 2 times a day type of ride for the GP if they're brave enough to ride it. I live 3 hours from KD and 3 hours from Carowinds and all everyone ever talks about is 'the coaster at Kings Dominion that makes you lose your vision and is super fast'. It's an experience like many of the park goers have never experienced before and often one that some people think is too much to handle. If there ever was a real life Roller Coaster Tycoon coaster that makes park goers say "Roller Coaster 1 is too intense for me" it would be Intimidator 305.

This is very true. I have went with some people that were told explicitly not to get on. I think some people confusing graying out with blacking out. i305 is intense in every sense of the word as far as coasters go.

On the other hand, I've been thinking about how well a thrilling family coaster could do at the park. Think something along the lines of Pandemonium at the Six Flags parks. Not only are they thrilling, but they are a hit with families. Ricochet always has one of the longest lines besides the main 'big boy coasters' in the park. I personally would love a Pandemonium-like ride where Shockwave currently sits. Not saying I could see this happening, but I would like it to - just a thought worth sharing.

I'd much rather have a B&M family invert than a Pandemonium clone. Now if it was like Cobra's Curse then it would be cool.

It seems to me as if this once-peaceful thread has been divided into a few warring factions:

1. The hardcore KD fans (yours truly included ) that rage about and drool over the prospect of KD's next coaster. (example: OMFG KD2016 B&M WING FLYING INVERTED HYPERCOASTER NEW ENTRANCE FLOORLESS SHOCKWAVE RMC MEGAHURLERGRIZZLY 2.0, seriously, what are you smoking, guys?)

2. The casual/hardcore KD fans that agree that KD is due for a coaster but don't complain about it

3. The casual/hardcore KD fans that are perfectly content with KD's current lineup of coasters

4. The people with a different home park that claim that KD is fine and that (insert other Cedar Fair park here) deserves the next coaster (often get into arguments with group 1, and vice-versa)

5. Those who just want trip advice and are appalled.

Can't we all just chill out a bit and stop arguing? Stop speculating and enjoy the world's best coaster at Kings Dominion in Intimidator 305. Yes, they're due for a coaster, and no, it's likely not happening in 2016, so don't fret anymore. I used to play the speculation game, but there's no point now, since nothing big has any chance of showing up next year.