TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I know they have always been there but in two videos it seems to act very differently. Maybe it was just the angle in which the videos were filmed but one seemed slower than the other.

I know they have always been there but in two videos it seems to act very differently. Maybe it was just the angle in which the videos were filmed but one seemed slower than the other.

for a while, just before they redesigned the turn, there were trims on the first drop, which did significantly slow down the ride. maybe one of the videos you saw was from that period.

The trims on the first bunny hill have different seasons, spring and Fall, there are less trims due to cold mornings and the potential for stalling. In the Summer season when it is very warm and it runs everyday there are more trims.

Jeff

The trim is designed to make the train slow down to a specific speed so the forces are never *too intense. When the train goes faster than normal, it activates more noticeably, and when it's slower, it's less noticeable or doesn't activate at all. Things that influence this change are passenger weight, wind speed, temperature, and even cable lift speed sometimes.

You definitely feel it, I think it's the only low point of the ride. If I305 had an metaphorical MCBR (and by that I mean where you get a breather or break), that would definitely be it. You're so in the moment though that you really don't care, and it still is very fast throughout the rest of the layout.

Edited by Coaster Hero

I made a 2018 Shockwave replacement concept... what do you all think (sorry, audio not working)? Would it fit the small plot of land? Is it feasible? Would you ride it?

*Yes, I intentionally included a MCBR to make it more realistic.

*The first inverting turnaround would fly over the central walkway leading from the Eiffel Tower to the Floral Clock.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Stats:

Height: 205 feet

Drop: 203 feet

Top speed: 77 MPH

Drop angle: 90 degrees

Inversions: 3

Track length: 3,520 feet

Ride duration: 1:20

# of trains: 3

Seating: Floored open-car concept design, 2 cars per train, with three rows each, with two riders seated in each row.

Riders per hour: IDK (someone help me on this one)

I made a 2018 Shockwave replacement concept... what do you all think (sorry, audio not working)? Would it fit the small plot of land? Is it feasible? Would you ride it?

*The first inverting turnaround would fly over the central walkway leading from the Eiffel Tower to the Floral Clock.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Stats:

Seating: Floored open-car concept design, 2 cars per train, with three rows each, with two riders seated in each row.

Looks very good, but:

1. CF is not going to wait until 2018. We're not exactly Michigan's Adventure.

2. They aren't going to use Shockwave's land for a new coaster, unless it's a junior invert or something. I still think Huler is the most likely to be torn down, despite the "retracking".

3. They would make it longer than that, probably around 4,500-5,000 feet for a 200 ft tall coster.

Other than that it would be a great fit under I305!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Stats:

The coaster does look intense but I think that KD has already basically said they are getting a winged flyer from B&M that will interact with the front of the park entrance in some way. I don't think they are going to get a hyper coaster.

I hope they don't tear down the shockwave and try to go for 15 coasters in one park, that alone would be a great marketing point for the park to say they have more coaster than any other park in the entire east coast!

2. They aren't going to use Shockwave's land for a new coaster, unless it's a junior invert or something. I still think that Hurler is most likely to be torn down, despite the "retracking".

3. They would make it longer than that, probably around 4,500-5,000 feet for a 200 ft tall coaster.

1. Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland have already started construction, so 2016 is out. Valleyfair and Michigan's Adventure will most likely get new coasters in 2017, and Kings Dominion and Carowinds will get new ones in 2018. Cedar Fair has adopted an "opportunity precedes necessity" mindset, and I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

2. True, but space is becoming an issue, and the Shockwave is sitting on prime real estate. Remember that Kings Dominion doesn't need another kiddie coaster because they have already have two (Great Pumpkin and Woodstock Express), and two more dedicated "family" coasters (Avalanche, Backlot Stunt Coaster).

3. See #2.

1. The coaster does look intense, but I think that KD has already basically said they are getting a winged flyer from B&M that will interact with the front of the park entrance in some way. I don't think they are going to get a hyper coaster.

2. I hope they don't tear down the Shockwave and try to go for 15 coasters in one park, that alone would be a great marketing point for the park to say they have more coastesr than any other park on the entire east coast!

1. If you're referring to the In the Loop/Screamscape video, that's complete guesswork, and IMO the channel writers have no clue what they are talking about (except when they correctly identified the three coasters on the chopping block and which one will go first), since none of that was confirmed by the park. Everyone thought that 2016 was the year, but clearly corporate CF said no (see my #1 above).

2. This title will most likely go to Carowinds at some point before that (#savethunderroad). Cedar Fair sees more potential for growth in that park than in Kings Dominion. However, I believe that Kings Dominion will reach 15 coasters at some point in the next ten years, despite the park's seemingly more spaced-out investment schedule.

lol. You act like KD is so neglected

I believe that Kings Dominion will reach 15 coasters at some point in the next ten years, despite the park's seemingly more spaced-out investment schedule.

You act like the park doesn't receive new rides and general improvements every year. The park is getting plenty of attention. KD's time will come (again). Until then just enjoy the park, or maybe enjoy some other parks

lol. You act like KD is so neglected

I believe that Kings Dominion will reach 15 coasters at some point in the next ten years, despite the park's seemingly more spaced-out investment schedule.

You act like the park doesn't receive new rides and general improvements every year. The park is getting plenty of attention. KD's time will come (again). Until then just enjoy the park, or maybe enjoy some other parks

I meant "large investment schedule". I'm not discounting how awesome the park looks because of the 40th, nor the Snoopy expansion, nor those AWESOME trapdoor slides!

2. They aren't going to use Shockwave's land for a new coaster, unless it's a junior invert or something. I still think that Hurler is most likely to be torn down, despite the "retracking".

3. They would make it longer than that, probably around 4,500-5,000 feet for a 200 ft tall coaster.

1. Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland have already started construction, so 2016 is out. Valleyfair and Michigan's Adventure will most likely get new coasters in 2017, and Kings Dominion and Carowinds will get new ones in 2018. Cedar Fair has adopted an "opportunity precedes necessity" mindset, and I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

2. True, but space is becoming an issue, and the Shockwave is sitting on prime real estate. Remember that Kings Dominion doesn't need another kiddie coaster because they have already have two (Great Pumpkin and Woodstock Express), and two more dedicated "family" coasters (Avalanche, Backlot Stunt Coaster).

3. See #2.

1. The coaster does look intense, but I think that KD has already basically said they are getting a winged flyer from B&M that will interact with the front of the park entrance in some way. I don't think they are going to get a hyper coaster.

2. I hope they don't tear down the Shockwave and try to go for 15 coasters in one park, that alone would be a great marketing point for the park to say they have more coastesr than any other park on the entire east coast!

1. If you're referring to the In the Loop/Screamscape video, that's complete guesswork, and IMO the channel writers have no clue what they are talking about (except when they correctly identified the three coasters on the chopping block and which one will go first), since none of that was confirmed by the park. Everyone thought that 2016 was the year, but clearly corporate CF said no (see my #1 above).

2. This title will most likely go to Carowinds at some point before that (#savethunderroad). Cedar Fair sees more potential for growth in that park than in Kings Dominion. However, I believe that Kings Dominion will reach 15 coasters at some point in the next ten years, despite the park's seemingly more spaced-out investment schedule.

Michigan's Adventure I guess, but Valleyfair hasn't even had any rumors. At least Kings Dominion hasthe wing coaster rumor and the Fury trademark, so it will come no later than 2017.

Kings Dominion, believe it or not, is still one of Cedar Fair's signature parks. The whole Carowinds thing is for southeast domination, but Kings Dominion is technically the mid-atlantic, so they are dominating a different area. I am predicting a winged hypercoaster will be their next big investment. I could also see another a Planet Snoopy coaster coming, bringing the coaster count to 16 (pending a removal). I think they care more about having the most dominant parks than having specific dominant parks. They know that Busch Gardens is a huge threat, so they can't not give big additions to us.

Personally I'd rather see a B&M hyper coaster than a wingrider. I305 is more designed for sustained positive g's, high average speed (actually has the record among non-launched coasters for highest average speed in the world), and quick transitions. Airtime is not a priority on this coaster. I feel that KD needs something with some airtime, something that can top AC to the south.

Personally I'd rather see a B&M hyper coaster than a wingrider. I305 is more designed for sustained positive g's, high average speed (actually has the record among non-launched coasters for highest average speed in the world), and quick transitions. Airtime is not a priority on this coaster. I feel that KD needs something with some airtime, something that can top AC to the south.

How about a winged hypercoaster? It would give a very unique experience. What they can do is re-design the restraints to be like Skyrush to maximize airtime.

Kings Dominion, believe it or not, is still one of Cedar Fair's signature parks. The whole Carowinds thing is for southeast domination, but Kings Dominion is technically the mid-atlantic, so they are dominating a different area. I am predicting a winged hypercoaster will be their next big investment. I could also see another a Planet Snoopy coaster coming, bringing the coaster count to 16 (pending a removal). I think they care more about having the most dominant parks than having specific dominant parks. They know that Busch Gardens is a huge threat, so they can't not give big additions to us.

Yeah I think that Kings Dominion is certainly the park of the Mid-Atlantic and they have DC- Bmore- Richmond market. I don't think that Busch Gardens is really a threat b/c Kings Dominion is a different kind of park IMO also KD now has the water park included.

^I doubt that either park considers the other a "threat." KD pulls much of its trade from DC/northern Virginia, Maryland, and the Richmond, while BGW draws on tourists visiting the Historical Triangle, Viriginia Beach, and the Outer Banks of North Carolina (along with a pretty loyal group of locals).

^I doubt that either park considers the other a "threat." KD pulls much of its trade from DC/northern Virginia, Maryland, and the Richmond, while BGW draws on tourists visiting the Historical Triangle, Viriginia Beach, and the Outer Banks of North Carolina (along with a pretty loyal group of locals).

BGW also attracts DC area people (well, at least better than SFA).

^Also true--Williamsburg is a popular weekend getaway for DC folks. I think the big difference is that KD gets more "day trippers," while BGW gets longer-term guests (thanks to being in a tourist area).

Edited by cfc

We are worried about it potentially being crowded tomorrow and trying to figure out if we can budget fast lane plus if we need to since we only have one day. There are three of us, is anyone coming tomorrow that is planning on getting fast lane plus if it's needed that would like to join us in buying so we can save ten bucks per pass?

^You should be fine as far as getting re-rides on I305. Honestly, it has some of the shortest lines in the whole park, and even if there is one, the ops are usually great as far as getting trains dispatched.

We are worried about it potentially being crowded tomorrow and trying to figure out if we can budget fast lane plus if we need to since we only have one day. There are three of us, is anyone coming tomorrow that is planning on getting fast lane plus if it's needed that would like to join us in buying so we can save ten bucks per pass?

I would NOT recommend the Fast Lane Pass on a Sunday! Sundays are surprisingly one of Kings Dominion's least crowded days. When I went to Kings Dominion last Sunday, the park was so empty that we had to wait for enough people to be in line for Windseeker before they'd let anyone else ride! The only ride you'd probably have to wait in a long for,however, is Volcano.