TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Hi.. I was wondering if anyone has been to Kings Dominion that is about my size.. I am 6' and weight about 285lbs - 42 inch waist..

We are planning on going next week, and I want to know what rides I will have an issue with.. or should I not even bother going?

Thanks in advance

SS

I'm around 5' 9" with a 42-inch waist and haven't had a problem at KD. My guess is that the biggest challenge for you will be Shockwave. But it all depends on how weight is distributed.

I've never had a black-out (or grey-out), so it's freaking me out a bit.

If it's not something you're comfortable with you can just close your eyes during the first turn and on the way up the first hill. Then you'll never even know it happened.

My guess is that the biggest challenge for you will be Shockwave.

... and if you can't ride Shockwave is that really a bad thing? lol

i305 is fantastic in any seat. it maintains such a consistently fast pace throughout the whole course, even at its apexes. this means that none of the seats have g-forces that are all that much different from the rest. certainly you get more air on the first drop in the back row, but in general it hits most of its hills with such velocity that the speed difference over the top of a hill between the front row and back is fairly minimal.

I am 5'11 40 inch waist and 265. I will be there Sunday. I will post here if i have any trouble.

Well.. thank you, but I will be going Friday lol..

I'm around 5' 9" with a 42-inch waist and haven't had a problem at KD. My guess is that the biggest challenge for you will be Shockwave. But it all depends on how weight is distributed.

Thanks.. that sounds promising.. I have a bit of a belly, but it's mostly spread out evenly.. I am guessing this "Shockwave" is a nightmare? lol

Thank you guys I have some renewed hope! I am starting a diet, but.. yeah.. not going to be enough of a change in a week lol

^The restraints on Shockwave are pretty awkward for everyone, and I imagine even more so it you're tall. Try to ride the front row if you can. At least it's fun through the loop, although the rest of the ride can be rather rough and clunky.

Flight of Fear might be a tight fit for you, too--but you should be able to manage it.

Edited by cfc

I'm 5'11 260lbs, 40" waist. I didn't have trouble getting on anything at KD this weekend. For me the tightest restraint was Volcano but I still had room. Shockwave was very uncomfortable in the shoulders. My shoulders pressed into the top of the restraint, and it was a little difficult to even get my arms in at first.

Shockwave is a TERRIBLE ride though. When I say terrible I mean the only one I've ever been on that's worse is Hades 360. Unless you're a credit whore (like me and many others on here) you should avoid it at all costs anyway.

I've been at the park all day and I haven't see I305 run once. It's pretty disappointing since it's half the reason why I came here, but the park is completely empty though and my group has been re-riding everything. We even got a rollback on Volcano on our first ride of the day. Does anyone know how often Volcano rolls back? We asked one of the attendants and he said this was only the second time he's seen it rollback this year.

^Also, I agree. Shockwave's restraints are absolutely awful. I managed to bash my jaw on the shoulder restraints. The airtime is pretty decent though but everything else about the ride sucks.

We even got a rollback on Volcano on our first ride of the day. Does anyone know how often Volcano rolls back? We asked one of the attendants and he said this was only the second time he's seen it rollback this year.

That's interesting. Did you roll all the way back to the first set of LIMs?

We even got a rollback on Volcano on our first ride of the day. Does anyone know how often Volcano rolls back? We asked one of the attendants and he said this was only the second time he's seen it rollback this year.

That's interesting. Did you roll all the way back to the first set of LIMs?

Yup! Haha All the way back to where the first launch starts. It took like 10 minutes of crawling through the magnets and then maintenance evacuated us from the ride. It was pretty cool honestly.

I was in El Toro_Ryan's group, and for most of us it's our first time at KD and I305 beimg closed was a big disappointment. We're praying it will be open tomorrow.

First impression: Volcano is awesome!! We had a rollback (which is personally something I've always wanted to experience), the crew evaced us very quickly and the total process including testing was about 25 minutes, definitely worth it.

Also I gotta say Grizzly was a huge pleasant surprise. Rode in the front and back, fromt is smooth with some great pops of ejector airtime, back is just plain wild. It snuck into my top wooden coasters! Overall I feel like the park is stuck in a weird limbo since it's transition to a Cedar Fair park. The distiction between the 70's era stuff, the Paramount theming, and Cedar Fair's more streamlined approach makes for some fairly awkward sections, but it's still a pretty nice place!

Shockwave tho...

Hi.. I was wondering if anyone has been to Kings Dominion that is about my size.. I am 6' and weight about 285lbs - 42 inch waist..

SS

That's a close call. I used to ride with a friend about 270 lbs. and at least 6', could ride everything but Drop Tower (go figure), later approaching 300 lbs. couldn't ride much. Even wood coasters too uncomfortable. Did fit on Anaconda but he wouldn't have been able to handle I305, so never found out. We used to love SLCs, only recently I realized that's because the oscillation frequency of our car was different that everyone else's .

Have you tried other parks? Shouldn't be that much different.

I was doing some research on 2016 attractions for KD, and there isn't much, except a recent interview with CF CEO Matt Ouimet, in which he stated that CF intends to roll out Triotechs to all 11 parks in the coming years. He also mentioned "empty boxes and blank spaces", with the KD Action Theater given as an example of a potential site. The theater really has fallen into disrepair since the motion seats were removed, it never draws a crowd except for Haunt when it moonlights as the No Vacancy maze, and they use the space underneath the projector screen to store bleachers for park events. Did I mention the 10-min, low-budget, cheesy movies are terrible? Regardless, this is not something that's popular, but it does occupy a pretty sizable space, large enough to convert into a Triotech. That's why I'm calling a Triotech for KD in 2016, with the Shockwave removed in 2017 as the park gears up for the next coaster, likely a very large B&M of some sort (i.e. the chain's big investment for the year), which will fly over parts of the Grove, Old Virginia, and International Street in 2018.

Do you agree? Partially? Disagree? Hate my guts? Let me know below (and please keep any insults regarding my perceived insanity and/or stupidity PG-13 or below).

I'm pretty sure it has been stated that there are no Triotech rides for Cedar Fair in the making for 2016 and that they will begin rolling out into the parks in 2017. With that said, it is very doubtful that any parks would build a Triotech ride then a new coaster in back-to-back seasons. Triotech rides are going to run 8-12 million (depending on size, technology, placement) with a 'big' coaster being 15-25 million. Investing 27 (likely very low) to 37 million in a park is quite a big chunk of change.

KD's additions have been very predictable since Intimidator 305, but 2016 isn't quite as obvious as of yet... but then again, it's only June 1st and we have approximately 80+ days before an announcement.

SS

That's a close call. I used to ride with a friend about 270 lbs. and at least 6', could ride everything but Drop Tower (go figure), later approaching 300 lbs. couldn't ride much. Even wood coasters too uncomfortable. Did fit on Anaconda but he wouldn't have been able to handle I305, so never found out. We used to love SLCs, only recently I realized that's because the oscillation frequency of our car was different that everyone else's .

Have you tried other parks? Shouldn't be that much different.

I haven't been to a park in a few years.. and that time period is when I gained the weight.. a lot due to the fact I was put on steroid treatment probably 4-6 times.. which always seem to bulk me up.. you saying this now has me worried again.. sigh.. I really want to be able to ride the rides with my daughter.. if I can't ride them.. she won't either.. now I don't know what to do