2009: Flat rides

2010: Intimidator 305

2011: Minor improvements

2012: Windseeker

2013: Kiddie flat rides

2014: Minor improvements

2015: Water slides

2016: ???

If you tell me that they aren't due for a coaster, you've lost your mind.

I feel that is post undermines the work the park has done the last 10 years since Cedar Fair bought the park. The last 5 years under the Paramount leadership, the park had been rapidly declining in the maintenance and aesthetical appearance. Cedar Fair has restored much of the former charm of the park that Paramount had stripped from it. Last year, as a former employee, it was refreshing to see what the park had become and I was excited to see the future improvements coming.

Everything the park did the last 10 years has been a deliberate and meaningful process. Cedar Fair has added four quality water attraction to the newly revised Soak City, transformed neutered former Hanna-Barbarra Land into a likable Planet Snoopy, Brought back many of the parks unique charms including the floral clock, signing mushrooms, and refreshed International Street, and also made the park safer through several ride renovations that brought the park up to OSHA standards.

I am very satisfied with the improvements the park has made in the last 5 years. The park has brought back the charm from the late seventies and late nineties into a contemporary era. I am glad what they have done and hope they continue to focus on quality over quantity.

As for the 'possible' coaster, I'm not holding my breath. If any recall the timeline for Intimidator 305, they started land clearing June 1st. They had pink survey markers on site in late April. I don't think anyone has seen any of those lately...

But also, when comparing to just Carowinds...

2010:

Intimidator 305 (25 million) // Intimidator (22 million)

2011:

Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular (1 million) // Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular (1 million)

2012:

Windseeker, Dinosaurs Alive (7 million) // Windseeker (6 million)

2013:

New Planet Snoopy (8 million) // Dinosaurs Alive and Picnic Pavilions (2 million)

2014:

40th Celebration improvements (1 million) // Dorsal Fin Drop, Surfer's Swell, Harmony Hall (5 million)

Total: 42 million // 36 million

2015:

Complete waterpark transformation (5 million) // Fury 325, Slingshot, parking upgrade (35 million)

Remember, Carowinds is going through a 3-year 50 million dollar renovation (they have about 10 million left for next season) because Cedar Fair sees the most potential for their attendance numbers to grow as their competition isn't as heavy and Charlotte is a great partner. Kings Dominion's time will come, but as you can see, Kings Dominion was getting the better end of the bargain until 2015.

The recent changes after I305 were necessary. But I do think KD will get something this year, there's just no proof yet. As someone said earlier, nothing KD could build in the future will ever surpass I305; That's a world class ride among world class rides.

While KD hasn't gotten a new coaster since I305, it is one of the best coasters in the entire world. To me KD's coaster lineup is not at fault, they have three really good roller coasters with I305, Volcano, and Dominator. Then to back that up they have some decent woodies with Grizzly and RY. While it sucks they haven't gotten anything new, we must keep in mind that they have a decent line-up. It just seems right for them to make it even better with something new, only time will truly tell but it isnt really needed to say. All the internal improvements and such have really set the park up to be even greater, but as mentioned before, attendance wise it isnt one of the top contenders.

^It's really nothing to keep in mind.

I feel that is post undermines the work the park has done the last 10 years since Cedar Fair bought the park. The last 5 years under the Paramount leadership, the park had been rapidly declining in the maintenance and aesthetical appearance. Cedar Fair has restored much of the former charm of the park that Paramount had stripped from it. Last year, as a former employee, it was refreshing to see what the park had become and I was excited to see the future improvements coming.

Everything the park did the last 10 years has been a deliberate and meaningful process. Cedar Fair has added four quality water attraction to the newly revised Soak City, transformed neutered former Hanna-Barbarra Land into a likable Planet Snoopy, Brought back many of the parks unique charms including the floral clock, signing mushrooms, and refreshed International Street, and also made the park safer through several ride renovations that brought the park up to OSHA standards.

I am very satisfied with the improvements the park has made in the last 5 years. The park has brought back the charm from the late seventies and late nineties into a contemporary era. I am glad what they have done and hope they continue to focus on quality over quantity.

110% agreed. Even in the late Paramount days this park was one of my favorite places to be, and it's only gotten better and better. As far as I'm concerned, Intimidator kickstarted six years of solid revenue, which is exactly what they needed to afford all these infrastructure and aesthetic improvements. Once they're happy with where the place sits, you'll probably see larger capital investments. Until then, go ride good ol' Timmy a dozen times every visit and be happy that the guest experience is leaps and bounds above where it was a decade ago.

Just went to Kings Dominion the past weekend. I actually asked one of the workers about their supposed new coaster next year. He actually said that they are planning to build a B&M hyper.

Now this obviously isn't the most reliable source, but it's something to keep in mind.

Was it the Dippin' Dots guy?

Yes, KD has a strong coaster lineup, and yes, Cedar Fair has brought the park's atmosphere up to rival or surpass Busch Gardens (ugh - SeaWorld), and yes, other parks may be due for a roller coaster as well, but Kings Dominion has one of the strongest local bases around. I myself live in Hanover County, just due south of KD, and I'd bet that anywhere from one-half to two-thirds of the households in the county are passholders, many for multiple years running. Keeping this in mind, there's a definite demand for a new coaster in the DC corridor. Since 2010, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has put in both Verbolten and Tempesto, and Six Flags America has added Apocalypse and Bourbon Street Fireball. While all of these coasters combined still pale in comparison to Intimidator 305, which most seasoned enthusiasts will tell you easily makes their top five or ten, they are newer, making it sort of a "No coaster? Again? Let's go to BGW and ride the Tempesto" situation for many locals and Richmond/DC-area travelers. Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, California's Great Adventure - these parks are small and have untapped markets, but their competition is very limited, if there is any in the area at all. Because KD needs to stay competitive, it needs a new coaster and soon. I've been saying all along - if not 2016, 2017 is the year.

As for the 'possible' coaster, I'm not holding my breath. If any recall the timeline for Intimidator 305, they started land clearing June 1st. They had pink survey markers on site in late April. I don't think anyone has seen any of those lately...

I would be holding my breath for a number of reasons:

1. The only land available to clear is unable to be viewed clearly from the air, so if there are markers behind the Hurler or elsewhere, you can't see it. Don't strain your eyeballs trying.

2. Since the Shockwave is probably the only candidate for removal, you can't exactly put survey markers on a ride. Does that ride really need another accident?

3. KD has historically been late in the game to announce coasters (remember Volcano?)

As a KD local and longtime park visitor, I find it completely relevant to provide my ratings for the park (on a scale of 0.0-10.0, 10.0 being the best), in a variety of categories:

1. Rides. Kings Dominion is home to two of the world's best roller coasters in the forms of Volcano: The Blast Coaster and Intimidator 305. These coasters are completely unmatched in smoothness, with the exception of a handful of other Intamin coasters, and Intimidator is easily in the top ten, most likely in the top five, and maybe even in the top three in most seasoned enthusiasts' intensity lists. The park also includes a number of classics, such as the ACE landmark Rebel Yell and park icon Woodstock Express (formerly Ghoster Coaster and Scooby-Doo). Adding to this lineup is one of the world's tallest and fastest drop towers. However, the park is home to some mediocre rides such as Dominator (a standard used B&M floorless), Grizzly (one-time park classic, now a literal and metaphorical headache), and Avalanche (unique, but not worth the wait time or mini-concussion), and some flat-out terrible ones (Shockwave, Hurler, Anaconda - TOGO, CCI, Arrow, respectively - you get the idea). On the other hand, the park features a TON of satisfactory family and/or thrilling flat rides in the (Candy Apple) Grove midway section and in the large, almost overdone Planet Snoopy kids area. For these reasons, I'll give Kings Dominion a 9/10 - significantly better than an average park but not anywhere near Six Flags Magic Mountain, Cedar Point, or Canada's Wonderland.

2. Appearance. Kings Dominion was known in the 1970s and 1980s to be a beautiful park, with flowers and greenery abundant throughout the relatively undeveloped, rural park. However, after the Paramount Parks acquisition in the 1990s, the park became a distant second to in-state rival Busch Gardens Williamsburg (Europe), with the focus applied to rides, and a total disregard for the park's appearance reigned. In 2007, the park's fortune changed once again for the better when Cedar Fair took the reins. Although the first few years of Cedar Fair ownership were focused on continuing to develop Kings Dominion's rides as part of a large, multimillion dollar expansion which included the relocated Dominator and Intimidator 305, in recent years the park has worked tirelessly on landscaping. While there is still much work to be done to catch up to Busch Gardens once again (which may admittedly be a near-impossible task), the investments have PAID OFF. This season, Kings Dominion looks absolutely beautiful for the first time in a long time. For the park's 40th anniversary, Cedar Fair has added high-quality restaurants themed to different countries, serving fine locally and internationally based cuisine. The park's entrance, while often criticized for its age, looks fantastic with flowers, bona fide flowers, lining the iconic fountains and Eiffel Tower plaza, and extending throughout the revamped Candy Apple Grove section (have you seen the floral clock?) However, the Safari Village/Congo area still needs some work, so I give Kings Dominion a 7/10 - looking good but still a work in progress.

3. Price - Each individual one-day ticket to Kings Dominion costs $55. Two-day tickets are available for $65 each. If you visit from 4 PM - 10 PM, tickets cost $40. Silver season passes, which are good for unlimited visits from Opening Day until Labor Day (you still pay for parking) cost $75. Gold season passes, which are good for unlimited visits from Opening Day until Closing Day in November (unlimited parking included) cost $115.

Platinum season passes, which are good for unlimited visits at every Cedar Fair park (Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, Knott's Berry Farm, California's Great Adventure, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park, etc.) any day that the park you want to visit is open (unlimited parking included) cost $200. To score this, let's compare it with equivalent tickets from rival Busch Gardens Williamsburg. For a one-day ticket, Kings Dominion is $20 cheaper (Busch Gardens doesn't offer a two-day ticket). For a Silver pass (BGW's equivalent is called the Fun Card), both parks are equal at $75 each. For a Gold Pass (BGW Season Pass), Kings Dominion is once again $20 cheaper. For a Platinum Pass (for BGW, this includes all SeaWorld parks), Kings Dominion is $15 cheaper. Therefore, Kings Dominion is cheaper in nearly every category, so I will give Kings Dominion a 7.5/10 in this category.

4. Food - Kings Dominion isn't really known for its food. However, the Jukebox Diner makes a pretty good burger, and the new higher-end restaurants really boost the park in this category. Unfortunately, you can expect to pay around $15 a meal, although one-day and season pass add-on meal deals are available, as are refillable drink bottles which are $10 online (free refills day of purchase/pickup, $1 refills rest of year). My advice: Avoid the meal deal and bottle, since it doesn't include the better restaurants near the entrance, so pack lunch (pavilions are provided outside the gate) and eat dinner by the Eiffel Tower. Other than that, expect standard amusement park fare - overpriced burgers, fries, pizza, fried chicken, and Coca-Cola products. Score? 6/10.

5. Atmosphere. Kings Dominion is definitely a family-friendly venue, IMO. Security is very tight at the park, and the metal detectors, a rare sight these days at an amusement park, slow down entrances lines a tad bit but make you feel safer. Of course, like all other public places, you'll need to keep a close eye on your little ones, but Planet Snoopy is the perfect place for parents to sit on a bench while watching the young'uns riding the various Peanuts-themed rides. The park isn't themed as well as BGW (and a far cry from Disney or Universal), but the park stays true to its rural roots with the Old Virginia section, a must-see during the busier hours of operation. Score? 8/10.

Final thoughts - Kings Dominion is a fantastic park. If you ever venture to the DC corridor, I would highly recommend taking a day to visit. Even if you'll be visiting BGW during a Jamestown, Williamsburg, or Virginia Beach visit, still consider the drive to KD - you won't regret it. No, this isn't Cedar Point, SeaWorld Orlando, Disney World, or Six Flags Great Adventure, but this is still pretty close to the gold standard for mid-sized amusement parks.

FINAL SCORE: 7.5/10

Rating: Should be on every enthusiast's, tourist's, and local's bucket list of destinations

^Great review, but I think you're vastly underrating Dominator. It's definitely an above average floorless; It has some intense positive g's for a floorless, so much that I greyed out on the first drop the second time I rode it (In my defense, I hadn't had anything to drink all day, so dehydration probably played a role. I also was tired, and I had already ridden I305).

^Great review, but I think you're vastly underrating Dominator. It's definitely an above average floorless; It has some intense positive g's for a floorless, so much that I greyed out on the first drop the second time I rode it (In my defense, I hadn't had anything to drink all day, so dehydration probably played a role. I also was tired, and I had already ridden I305).

Thanks!

I've never completely grayed out on any coaster (on I305 I get pretty close to it) but once I nearly grayed out during the helix on the Stunt Coaster. Strangely enough, that was the day that I forgot to pack water (for those who don't know, it's an unwritten rule that outside water and sports drinks are allowed in Cedar Fair parks).

^^-- yeah, only 3 rides a visit now

Dominator (a standard used B&M floorless)

An interesting line. It probably is about average for a B&M but what's not to like about that? I find the strong finish with the high-G final curve kind of bumps it above most. And floorless is way more than a gimmick. I also really enjoy Grizzly (some precautions required) and about the only thing I don't like about Shockwave is waiting to be let off. You didn't mention Flight of Fear....

I think as a local park, if you have a choice of where to live or how much you prize your local park, it also goes up a notch. In that case, a larger number of average quality rides helps sustain variety. You're not comparing rides to the rest of the world at that point, only against others in the park and vs. just not riding them, and can learn the tricks. Meanwhile BGW goes downa notch as a local park because of their quality vs. quantity approach. KD also tends to be considerably less crowded than the few parks with better coaster line ups, from what I know about them.

I would never call Dominator "mediocre" or "standard." That coaster has always been one of the best floorless coasters out there. Yeah, it's used, but KD got THE best coaster from GL.

No matter how many times I've ridden Dominator, it's still a kickass ride. It's my second favorite in the park after I305 and I always get a ride on it on my way out.

Dominator in the very last row rips down the drop and creates awesome hang time in the loop that put it way above any other floorless for me. It's no Kumba, but for a floorless it's a pretty great ride.

Also, Flight of Fear is criminally underrated. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

I would never call Dominator "mediocre" or "standard." That coaster has always been one of the best floorless coasters out there. Yeah, it's used, but KD got THE best coaster from GL.

Totally agreed. The only thing it's missing is a zero-G (Kraken's and Kumba's come to mind), but I can't complain. It's a fantastic - and unique - ride.

Also, Flight of Fear is criminally overbraked. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Fixed that for you!

I do agree it's missing a zero g roll, and if they decided to do use two trains instead of three, I think the MCBR would have been a very cool spot for one. That being said, the two turns between the vertical loop and cobra roll make up for the missing zero g!

For all 2 of you who like Shockwave, you better get in your last rides before late July.

More like negative two...

What do you mean by "you better get your last rides in before late July"? Where's your source that the Sh!twave is due for removal? This might be an awesome development, but we need a source, man.

P.S. If this is from Screamscape, that's old news and very improbable. Why in the world would you put two B&Ms with similar elements practically on top of each other? This is Cedar Fair, not SeaWorld.

Why in the world would you put two B&Ms with similar elements practically on top of each other? This is Cedar Fair, not SeaWorld.

Leviathan, Behemoth, Fury325, and Intimidator say "Hi."

Why in the world would you put two B&Ms with similar elements practically on top of each other? This is Cedar Fair, not SeaWorld.

Leviathan, Behemoth, Fury325, and Intimidator say "Hi."

Whoops, forgot about that.

The irony is that I went to CW over Spring Break, my bad.

Breaking news from F.A.K.E., Doswell's local media station:

"Kings Dominion announces new hyper roller coaster"

ON Thursday, May 14, 2015, Kings Dominion announced a new, thrilling roller coaster that's "unlike anything that any park in the world offers". Built by Swiss manufacturing company Bollinger and Mabillard, DefinitelyNotDominator will stand at over 230 feet, turning riders head over heels a total of five times while reaching speeds of up to 75 miles per hour and with a terrifying, 90-degree first drop. The new coaster will break the world record for the tallest complete-circuit roller coaster in the world with inversions.

But what's the coaster's biggest draw?

Riders' feet will dangle from the roller coaster's cars (a "floorless coaster"), putting a terrifying twist on an otherwise standard roller coaster design.

The new coaster, slated to open in 2016, will accompany a new entrance and revamped parking lot, as well as upgraded pavilions. DefinitelyNotDominator will replace the existing Shockwave stand-up roller coaster.

At the Q&A session following the announcement session, one coaster enthusiast voiced his concern that DefinitelyNotDominator was "the exact same thing as Dominator (the adjoining coaster, also floorless and designed by Bollinger and Mabillard), plus seventyish feet and a steeper drop".

A B&M representative on hand was able to dismiss these concerns as "childish": "How else do you expect us to make money? This is the perfect example of our tried-and-true business model, which was inspired by Apple - build a pretty good product, make small improvements every few years, and charge way too much for it. We also specialize in building the same roller coaster twice, like with the ever-popular Intimidator and Fury 325".

A media day was set for early March of 2016, with an online auction for seats on the first ride, benefiting the Save TOGOs Everywhere organization.

Interesting thought...

With Canada's Wonderland's removal of Sky Rider and Kings Dominion's current rumor of the removal of Shockwave, could the two parks potentially be receiving the same thing replacing their standup coasters? Obviously, Canada's Wonderland would need a greater head start due to harsher winters.