TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Ok we can all agree It is King Dominion's time for a coaster but if Cedar Fair is adding a Triotech ride in 2016 there is a strong chance that is going to King Dominion because

1. They have a strong coaster line up

2. CP is getting a coaster, KB and CWW already have one, and Carowinds just got Fury.

3. It is also time that KD got a big marketable attraction family attraction and they are not deep on the family ride aspect.

I still want them to get a coaster though. After reading the board I'd be cool with the following options that seem realistic

1. A wing rider- they don't have one, it would diversify their line up

2. A B&M hyper- I'd love something more than out and back, I'd like to see a hyper twister

3. Intamin blitz coaster - Something like Maverick at KD would great. I305 is kinda an off spring of Maverick with those close to the ground moves. Maybe a combo of Maverick and Storm Runner would be great

I DON'T think or want want them to take out

1. Shockwave- its a classic, one of my first roller coaster and Isn't it the first stand up coaster ever?

2. Hurler-- this coaster sucks but I'd rather them RMC it up than tear it down.

Thoughts.

Matt Ouimet has said in an interview that no cedar fair parks are getting a triotech dark ride in 2016. I bet kings Island gets one in the tomb raider building in 2017 or Cedar Point would be my guess.

03_195.jpg

It is very confusing on so many levels brand identity and the sign is small. Grizzly got the short end of the stick with signage. I am a regular at KD and I still forget where the entrance is for Grizzly b/c it is tied to an attraction I have no interest in ever going through.

Grizzly's entrance has definitely had a change over time since 1982. You remember the "Grizzly Plaza" when it started out like this? Such great memories!

10352290_434656283341795_3203342056116878181_n.jpg.cd0e54ffab0d9cd0ac1704bd6cee05bc.jpg

^Nope--that was before my first visit to the park. I remember when the bear was tucked off to the side of the arcade, and there was no sign at all indicating where Grizzly's entrance was.

It's too bad that old entrance plaza is gone.

replace XLC

I forgot to say -- want a spike, I don't even care if the coaster is launched, although spikes kind of need a short train (then launch gets better capacity).

1. Shockwave- its a classic, one of my first roller coaster and Isn't it the first stand up coaster ever?

2. Hurler-- this coaster sucks but I'd rather them RMC it up than tear it down.

Thoughts.

Yeah. Or take the brake off Hurler a while before they take it down, at least. Rope off the wheel seats

Re: Grizzly plaza, no I don't remember, wow!

03_195.jpg

It is very confusing on so many levels brand identity and the sign is small. Grizzly got the short end of the stick with signage. I am a regular at KD and I still forget where the entrance is for Grizzly b/c it is tied to an attraction I have no interest in ever going through.

Grizzly's entrance has definitely had a change over time since 1982. You remember the "Grizzly Plaza" when it started out like this? Such great memories!

Well Looks like the only thing they kept was he font. I never remember that entrance b/c it was before I was born but gosh it looks cool!

Well Looks like the only thing they kept was he font. I never remember that entrance b/c it was before I was born but gosh it looks cool!

Back in the day, Rebel Yell had a very cool entrance queue very similar to King Island's Racer. It was removed in the early 90's. I really wish they would have kept it. It really added charm to the ride.

kd_vintage_the_rebel_yell.thumb.jpg.7143cf589a0e370add0212e789b42b61.jpg

I hadn't thought of a flying coaster before. No Cedar Fair park has built a B&M flying coaster yet. They got the two vekomas in Kings Island and Carowinds, but those are crap compared to B&M's. I wouldn't mind seeing KD get an awesome flying coaster. And if RMC ever does redo Grizzly, I hope they bring Grizzly Plaza back because last time I was there, finding that ride was more trouble than what it's worth.

Back in the day, Rebel Yell had a very cool entrance queue very similar to King Island's Racer. It was removed in the early 90's. I really wish they would have kept it. It really added charm to the ride.

Agreed. Now they have this goofy, long queue to the entrance that looks like a Roller Coaster tycoon-related nightmare.

^ You've got Batwing nearby, but it's not hard to compete with that rattling death trap!

Yeah, there's a lot of coasters in that general area. That's why I think it has to be a wing rider because it's the only thing unique to that area. But if KD does get a B&M, I hope it's launched, whether it be a wing or flyer.

I didn't think about it, but a flying coaster or wing coaster be great. Unless we start to see some clearing we just have to be patient until some type of teaser drop. But a dive coaster would do the park well also, but the "spoiled child" of the chain is apparently getting it next year.

I don't think they'll ever get a dive coaster...you know since there is one about an hour to the SE of it. A B&M Flyer perhaps...even though there is a Flying Dutchman an hour and a half NE.

I also don't know about a B&M Hyper or Invert for the same reason as above for those who think they'll be adding one. Intamin (MC) perhaps, but then you have the one at SFA. I think they may go for the tallest wing coaster since that's the only one not anywhere nearby.

Has any more of the asphalt been replaced, or any other beautification been done for 2015?

Nope, except for the Spring Bloom Festival - and Soak City - one small, Vanish Point-esque slide complex and some fresh coats of paint on the water slides (and I think maybe a few more restaurants and shops in the waterpark.

I'm going to compile a list of when each CF park received its most recent or most recently upgraded roller coaster, along with each park's average interval for adding a new coaster, so we can get a better look at when to expect a new coaster at KD and other parks.

Has any more of the asphalt been replaced, or any other beautification been done for 2015?

Nope, except for the Spring Bloom Festival - and Soak City - one small, Vanish Point-esque slide complex and some fresh coats of paint on the water slides (and I think maybe a few more restaurants and shops in the waterpark.

I'm going to compile a list of when each CF park received its most recent or most recently upgraded roller coaster, along with each park's average interval for adding a new coaster, so we can get a better look at when to expect a new coaster at KD and other parks.

I promised a list and so here's a list.

DISCLAIMER: I know this system is inaccurate because Cedar Point and KBF are likely due for a roller coaster sooner than indicated, but for most of the other parks this is fairly accurate. My system is unbiased and based upon park websites and simple subtraction and division.

Also, if the coaster year intervals seem off, it's because I rounded down universally, regardless of decimal result, in a futile effort to account for parks that have been open for many years (Dorney, CP, KBF).

Cedar Point Parks and Roller Coaster Statistics

KEY: Bold indicates overdue for roller coaster this year, italics indicate due for roller coaster this year, standard font indicates not due for roller coaster this year, numbers indicate relative priority

9. Cedar Point – 145 years of operation, 16 coasters, average one coaster each 9 years, most recent coaster 2015 (Rougarou) DUE FOR COASTER: 2024

10. Dorney Park – 131 years of operation, 8 coasters, average one coaster each 16 years, most recent coaster 2012 (Stinger) DUE FOR COASTER: 2028

8. Knott’s Berry Farm – 95 years of operation, 10 coasters, average one coaster each 9 years, most recent coaster 2013 (Coast Rider) DUE FOR COASTER: 2022

4. Michigan’s Adventure – 59 years of operation, 7 coasters, average one coaster each 8 years, most recent coaster 2008 (ThunderHawk) DUE FOR COASTER: 2016

6. Kings Island – 43 years of operation, 14 coasters, average one coaster each 3 years, most recent coaster 2014 (Banshee) DUE FOR COASTER: 2017

7. Carowinds – 42 years of operation, 14 coasters, average one coaster each 3 years, most recent coaster 2015 (Fury 325) DUE FOR COASTER: 2018

2. Worlds of Fun – 42 years of operation, 7 coasters, average one coaster each 6 years, most recent coaster 2009 (Prowler) DUE FOR COASTER: 2015

1. Kings Dominion – 40 years of operation, 14 coasters, average one coaster each 2 years, most recent coaster 2010 (Intimidator 305) DUE FOR COASTER: 2012

6. California’s Great America – 39 years of operation, 8 coasters, average one coaster each 4 years, most recent coaster 2013 (Gold Striker) DUE FOR COASTER: 2017

2. Valleyfair – 39 years of operation, 8 coasters, average one coaster each 4 years, most recent coaster 2011 (Cosmic Coaster) DUE FOR COASTER: 2015

4. Canada’s Wonderland – 34 years of operation, 16 coasters, average one coaster each 2 years, most recent coaster 2014 (Wonder Mountain’s Guardian) DUE FOR COASTER: 2016

Do you agree with all, most, or some of the list, or just think I spend too much time obsessing over KD and CF in general as a Platinum passholder? Let me know by quoting and replying below.

Do you agree with all, most, or some of the list, or just think I spend too much time obsessing over KD and CF in general as a Platinum passholder? Let me know by quoting and replying below.

I think you're obsessing a bit. I just don't think that the need for and timing of a coaster addition can be reduced to any kind of formula or pattern.

I believe it really has more to do with what happens in the industry, what the park is lacking, how well the park is attended, and so on. Most of those factors change with the wind. While I can agree that some of the parks listed should really build something big sooner than later, it comes down to the needs of the individual park and it's market at any given time. The amount of years it has been has very little to do with it in my mind. Unless of course all of those years have allowed your competition to get too far ahead, or caused you to lose a substantial part of your target market.

All of your math is wrong, you forget the coasters that were built but since been removed. Besides that those stats mean nothing and are no indicator of when new rides will be built. The art on the season pass page also means nothing, as every parks season pass page has rides that aren't exactly correct or nonexistent. Just sit back and enjoy the season and don't stressing over how everything could be a hint as to what comes next. If you keep chasing the future you will miss out on the present

Nope, this is a pretty poor indicator of when a park may receive a new coaster and is seems like something done quickly by an obsessed fan. If you had factored in all of a park's coasters (both current and defunct) and rounded correctly, it might be a little more legitimate, but assuming parks are "due" for new coasters based on the time since the previous installation is a bad assumption. Many factors determine what is added to a park at any given time, as putting in a great attraction at the wrong time can be just as bad as not adding anything.

Having been to most of the Cedar Fair parks, I honestly think Kings Dominion has one of the best coaster collections in the chain. In fact, if a couple of the woodies received some significant trackwork and Shockwave was replaced, I'd say it would be second only to Cedar Point. Compare the park to it's competitors...other than perhaps Hersheypark, it's got them all beat. Now, I'm not saying the park wouldn't benefit from a new coaster, but I just don't see why it is in more need of one then somewhere like Worlds of Fun or Knott's Berry Farm (or any of Cedar Fair's other smaller properties, for that matter).

A good park is not just about the roller coasters. Cedar Fair knows this and they are doing what they feel is right for their parks. I'm sure Kings Dominion will get a big new thrill ride in the next few years, but until then just enjoy the park you've got. I'd trade my local Cedar Fair park (Knott's Berry Farm) for it.