TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Is there any reason why KD does not offer Fast Lane on several of their coasters?? Rebel Yell, Anaconda, Shockwave? I was surprised when I saw the list on the website for this year. Yet they offer it for flat rides like a wave swinger and Dodgem? I don't get it.

Having not been to this park before, do those coasters draw well enough to begin with? Also a guess- might the purpose of including those flats into their program be to to sway families with kids who aren't quite ready to ride coasters yet (and otherwise may not have thrown money at the passes)?

Some parks cut a ride or two off on their fast lane/flash pass system.. American Eagle at SFGAM wasn't on the flash pass last year, nor was Little Dipper.

Is there any reason why KD does not offer Fast Lane on several of their coasters?? Rebel Yell, Anaconda, Shockwave? I was surprised when I saw the list on the website for this year. Yet they offer it for flat rides like a wave swinger and Dodgem? I don't get it.

Oftentimes, Dodgems can draw more of a line than Anaconda and even Rebel Yell. As for Shockwave, that ride has so many "specialties" that Fast Lane would almost detract from the ride. Also, Fast Lane can't be all coasters, this is probably KD's way of diversifying the lineup.

I'm almost positive that those rides haven't been on Fastlane the last few years either (they may never have been on it). With all of them I feel like the station setup is the reason, with all of them it would be a massive pain to build Fastlane ramps, plus the rides aren't all that popular.

I just booked the Best Western in the Kings Dominion parking lot. Being that close to the park is the sole reason. I am wondering if it is halfway decent though. the pictures looked alight but photos can lie.

I just booked the Best Western in the Kings Dominion parking lot. Being that close to the park is the sole reason. I am wondering if it is halfway decent though. the pictures looked alight but photos can lie.

I stayed there last year, it didn't look AS good as the pictures, but it wasn't bad. For how close it is to the park, it was worth the money.

since I got such a good price on the hotel in DC, we're just planning on leaving Williamsburg on a Friday, hitting KD for the day, and then just driving to Washington for hotel check in.

it's the first Friday that KD is open until 10pm. . so although we're likely only to stay until 6pm or so (since the drive to Washington is still 2 hours or so). . .I'm hoping it still won't be too crowded, as it's a Friday (6/19)

Im heading down to Busch Gardens next weekend to surprise my Band Students on their trip. Sunday Im planing on being by myself on the drive home, so clearly that means I must stop at Kings Dominion and get my Cedar Fair Platinum Pass processed, and get some rides in!! I have never been to the park before, are there single rider lines?

Im heading down to Busch Gardens next weekend to surprise my Band Students on their trip. Sunday Im planing on being by myself on the drive home, so clearly that means I must stop at Kings Dominion and get my Cedar Fair Platinum Pass processed, and get some rides in!! I have never been to the park before, are there single rider lines?

Nope, there are no single rider lines anymore if KD had any rides that had them. The rides that used to have them in the chain were converted to FastLane.

Edited by Lareson

Hey guys! - I'm planning a trip to Kings Dominion and BGW during the week of Sunday, August 23 through Friday, August 28 (Sun and Fri will be travel days). After doing a little research, it looks like kids in VA don't go back to school until after Labor day, on Tuesday, Sept 2, so I'm scheduled to go down the week prior.

Being that I'll be there the week before school starts, do you guys think both parks will be really busy? Has anyone been during this time frame before? Trying to decide if I should reschedule for after the kids are back in class.

Many thanks in advance!!

--Nathan

I actually stayed in Williamsburg the week before that last year, and both parks were virtually empty during the week. (the only exception being Volcano. Volcano had a line. Volcano always has a line. How does Volcano always have a freaking line?)

On the other hand, Water Country USA next to Busch Gardens was completely packed. It was also insanely hot that week, which probably explains that, but chances are you'll have similar weather.

I know it's early, but does anyone else agree with me that Hurler has a good chance of being removed in the near future? It has been five excruciating years since KD's last coaster installation. Even though I'm a huge Intamin fan, I honestly wouldn't mind a record breaking B&M being implemented.

With Skyrider being removed, Shockwave probably doesn't have long.

I actually stayed in Williamsburg the week before that last year, and both parks were virtually empty during the week. (the only exception being Volcano. Volcano had a line. Volcano always has a line. How does Volcano always have a freaking line?)

It doesn't have the best capacity. I love the ride however. I went the year it opened and waited over 2 hours. It was worth it...back then. Even when I went the next season there was quite a line....maybe an hour. Today I would just have to get fast lane (if it's offered on it). I hadn't been since 99 so with added age comes less patience....lol).

^I'm OK with Rebel Yell as it is. Hurler, on the other hand . . . well, RMC can go hog wild with that ride.

Hurler and its clone at Carowinds were two big mistakes in my opinion. If RMC got ahold of them I would probably rejoice. If RMC got ahold of them and did something different with each one? Definitive best case scenario.