TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I just want another launched coaster at KD because it would make it the launch capital of the world (I think).

With Volcano, Flight of Fear, and Stunt Coaster, this may already be true. Do any other parks have more than three launched coasters? (I can't think of one offhand, but I might be mistaken.)

^I had overlooked Wicked Twister at CP. Perhaps the launched-coaster capitol question needs to be decided in . . .

Then again, Maverick tops all the other launched coasters at either park.

I just want another launched coaster at KD because it would make it the launch capital of the world (I think).

With Volcano, Flight of Fear, and Stunt Coaster, this may already be true. Do any other parks have more than three launched coasters? (I can't think of one offhand, but I might be mistaken.)

Ferrari World will have 4 (if you count GT challenge Jeff Johnson style) or also match for 3 when their newest coaster opens. I think that means all their coasters are launched so wouldn't it be the launch capital? Universal Singapore also has 3 launched coasters and soon 2 normal coasters.

Looks like Kings Dominion will have to settle for "Launched Coaster Capitol of the Mid-Atlantic States."

If it was run by Six Flags that probably would be the tag on most promotional materials.

Hey everyone! I recently moved from Indianapolis to Washington DC. I just heard that KD's opening day is this upcoming Sunday. I've been to KD once before (I305 debut in 2010.) I'm curious as to what the crowds may be like. Obviously there isn't anything major debuting this season in the dry-side of the park, and as of now the weather is looking a little chilly so I would assume crowds will be low. I've ridden all of the major rides at KD except: Flight of Fear, Avalanche, Backlot, Hurler, and Shockwave. So I would like to ride those for the credits, but more importantly get plenty of rides on I305, Dominator, and Volcano. With the park only being open from noon til six, would it be realistic to ride all of those? Or should I wait a few more days and go the following Friday? Thank you to anyone who may be of help!

Ok so I've never been on opening day but let me tell you that you're probobly not going to get "plenty of rides" on volcano, because that always has a line on a normal operating day, but I bet you could get in all of the credits you want, it isn't that big a park. (But don't ask me about opening day crowds idk y I'm talking lol)

^Yep--get there early and ride Volcano first thing. You can probably get in two rides (maybe one in the front seat) before the line becomes too ridiculous. Or you could spring for Fast Lane.

The years that Volcano was included in Coasting for Kids how well did that go?

Couldn't say--Volcano hasn't been part of Coasting for Kids since I started participating in the event four years ago.

Edited by cfc

so i guess they changed in in 2013 to not include volcano?

2013-

Marathon will take place on:

Intimidator 305, Dominator, Volcano, Anaconda, Rebel Yell, Grizzly

Additional itinerary details:

Participants will be split up into six groups, with each group rotating among the six coasters.

Meal time and location: Time TBD in the Picnic Pavilions

^You should have a chance before the event gets rolling.

Anyone thinking of heading to KD for Passholder Preview Day on Saturday should bear in mind that the expected low for that day is 24 with a high of 49. Snow was in the forecast for Saturday morning in Williamsburg, but I think it's just going to rain, instead.

Went to Kings Dominion today! The park wasn't but so crowded. Intiminator 305 seems MUCH more smoother and less jerky on the twists this season. I also saw the police lights on Backlot Stunt Coaster working when it became dark outside. I'm not sure if it was working last season, but I'm glad they are now.

Is there any reason why KD does not offer Fast Lane on several of their coasters?? Rebel Yell, Anaconda, Shockwave? I was surprised when I saw the list on the website for this year. Yet they offer it for flat rides like a wave swinger and Dodgem? I don't get it.

Is there any reason why KD does not offer Fast Lane on several of their coasters?? Rebel Yell, Anaconda, Shockwave? I was surprised when I saw the list on the website for this year. Yet they offer it for flat rides like a wave swinger and Dodgem? I don't get it.

Maybe based on popularity? Everytime I visit KD Anaconda is a walk-on and so is Rebel Yell usually.

Having not been to this park before, do those coasters draw well enough to begin with? Also a guess- might the purpose of including those flats into their program be to to sway families with kids who aren't quite ready to ride coasters yet (and otherwise may not have thrown money at the passes)?

^The line for Shockwave can get pretty long due to slow operations, which Fast Lane would probably irritate. I've seen Anaconda draw a long line on busy days, but usually not. Rebel Yell usually doesn't draw a big crowd, either.