TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I feel like KD's next coaster will be a front gate impression. So maybe an inverted coaster that's a mix between Banshee and Gatekeeper.

I feel like the reason KD hasn't gotten a B&M invert like almost if not EVERY Cedar Fair Park is because the count Volcano as their invert. I could, however, see a Winged Coaster in 2016. I still would like to see an Intamin Hyper. Cedar Fair seems to like to do the Giga and Hyper in one park gimmick, but they haven't done one with Intamin before. And hopefully they'll call it Fury (awesome name) and give it F325's colors (awesome color scheme).

The way I see it, here are my three possibilities for 2016:

B&M invert (Worlds tallest. Sorry, Alpengeist. Don't worry, you're still my favorite)

B&M winged (goes over front entrance)

Intamin Hyper (goes over front entrance)

I believe KD is satisfied with Dominator as the front statement (yellow loop FTW!) and Matt Ouimet has stated he likes the Kings Island and Kings Dominion iconic entries more than the majority across the chain. I could see some refurbishments going on to freshen up the area's existing buildings, but I highly doubt KD would see a Carowinds/Cedar Point change anytime soon.

Even though B&M has been the popular trend across the chain, KD has proven to be the unique one of the former Paramount Parks with the Intimidator 305 addition (GoldStriker was put in due to its cheapness...), so I could possibly see something besides a B&M going in next, especially with B&M likely already building Dive Coaster Hawk 225 at Cedar Point next season.

Although I would gladly accept a new custom B&M with open arms, KD's collection is unique, so Cedar Fair could keep it that way and experiment with other coaster companies besides B&M here. It does make sense, especially with the competitors Busch and Six Flags nearby. Plus, there's that mythical intimidating dangerous FBI top-secret B&M Busch Gardens contract.

Hopefully, 2016 rumors will begin to fly around once the gates open up this season although KD's secrets are usually kept pretty well. I mean, they kept the giga a secret until the label on the track said "GIGA" in the parking lot.

I wonder if this style of park map will be for all of the other Cedar Fair parks because Carowinds' 2015 park map is very similar to this.

Where did you see that at? I tried looking for it and couldn't see it. I would love to see the new 2015 Carowinds map!

I'd post it, but I don't know the direct source of it. Even if I did, I don't have the permission to post it. Carowinds tweeted that the map would come out sometime this week, so I'm assuming it'll be tomorrow or Sunday.

I've heard that shockwave is the park's most reliable coaster, and that they have tons of parts for it, now that the other two togo stand ups have been dismantled. Hurler too is probably not a big deal to operate.

Hopefully 2016 brings something neat to the park.

I was just thinking, what if KD got an Intamin Hyper Coaster just called "Fury". It would kind of be like the whole Intimidator/I305 thing we've got going on with Carowinds. Plus, since Carowinds's Giga is taller than ours, our Hyper would be taller than theirs. I would love to see someone make a concept design on NL2. I can't since I'm awful at it.

EDIT: I know this won't happen, but why not use out imaginations?

This link shows Cedar Fair has "Fury" and "Fury 325" as two different trademarks, if you look at the second row down. The "Fury" name trademark without the "325" in the title is currently not being used. ........ So it must be trademarked for a future attraction. I think this idea could actually turn out to happen!

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-cedar-fair-lp-222594-page-1-2

(Note: this is just speculation and I have have no background information for any unannounced Kings Dominion future attractions).

Edited by Bmanscool

I was just thinking, what if KD got an Intamin Hyper Coaster just called "Fury". It would kind of be like the whole Intimidator/I305 thing we've got going on with Carowinds. Plus, since Carowinds's Giga is taller than ours, our Hyper would be taller than theirs. I would love to see someone make a concept design on NL2. I can't since I'm awful at it.

This link shows Cedar Fair has "Fury" and "Fury 325" as two different trademarks on the second row down, where "Fury" is currently being unused. I think this idea could possibly turn out to happen.

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-cedar-fair-lp-222594-page-1-2

I think a B&M hyper would be more likely since they already have Intimidator 305, but a new coaster called Fury at KD wouldn't be a bad idea.

I wonder if this style of park map will be for all of the other Cedar Fair parks because Carowinds' 2015 park map is very similar to this.

Where did you see that at? I tried looking for it and couldn't see it. I would love to see the new 2015 Carowinds map!

I'd post it, but I don't know the direct source of it. Even if I did, I don't have the permission to post it. Carowinds tweeted that the map would come out sometime this week, so I'm assuming it'll be tomorrow or Sunday.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check on the Carowinds site if they updated it yet. I'm just ready to map out my day of fun!

The name Fury won't be coming to Kings Dominion. It was specifically chosen for Carowinds since Charlotte is known as the Queen City, Buzz City, and the Hornets were returning so it made perfect sense for Carowinds. 'Fury' was trademarked first, then 'Fury 325' was later on, so I'm sure that they figured if they were building the tallest giga in the world why not put the height at the end of the name.

The Intimidator names were both used since 1.) they were paying for the licensing anyways, why not use it to its fullest 2.) both Richmond and Charlotte are known for racing 3.) Dick Kinzel.

Ever since Matt Ouimet has taken over, theming seems more important and new additions make sense with the areas of the parks - I doubt he would have supported a NASCAR theme in the Congo/Safari Village area of Kings Dominion... but thanks anyways for the best coaster in the world Dick Kinzel!

Edited by Intimidator305

Nothing can really fit in shockwaves foot print, so there's no reason to take it out when theres no replacement

I don't know... Kings Island replaced King Cobra with a giant frisbee, and King Cobra's bunny hops were inside the footprint instead of outside of the footprint... meaning it had a smaller footprint. And there doesn't seem to be a giant frisbee at KD...

Also, to whoever said that they had a lot of parts for Shockwave, if memory serves me correctly, King Cobra eventually got scrapped, and SkyRider got SOLD, which still bothers me in the "who the eff would buy it?" sense.

So I checked on google maps and that path does coninue around hurler, but idk if that's like a road, and also if they did that where would they connect it to soak city? Oh wait right between the wave pool (big wave bay) and the soak city splash house is another gate, and that path leads right into that lil square. So somewhere in there? The roads connect, all you would have to do was make it into an actual path.

image.thumb.jpg.40740f5b5685ab05dd7ea1fe6220e331.jpg

LAUNCHED B&M INVERT. That would be so awesome.

Wouldn't that be a little too similar to Volcano?

only if B&M decided to cut their normal capacity, length, and reliability in half.

a launched B&M invert seems kind of infeasible to me. those invert trains look like they weigh 4 times what the volcano trains weigh.

Volcano_slide13.jpg

142351317_b8a922c99b.jpg