TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

i haven't ridden every launched coaster on Earth, but it was definitely a far more intense launch than TTD or Kingda Ka. it was a one trick pony, but then so are a lot of launched coasters. from a guest's perspective, it was really just the poor capacity (and downtime) that ruined it. seriously, it made Volcano's line seem fast.

Oh yes, the long-gone and forever lamented Hypersonic XLC, a coaster I thought would stay for a long time.

I'll tell you about airtime - one year, I put a booklet of Kings Dominion's coupons in my back pocket and rode in one of the middle seats. After I got off the ride, I reached to my back pocket to grab my booklet and it was gone. The airtime over that hill was so great it managed to pull that booklet out of my back pocket. I never did locate that booklet, but no big deal; I wasn't going to use any of those coupons anyway.

Oh well, that was a trip down memory lane. I know what's going into the park for 2015, but who knows what will be going into the park for 2016. Will it be another roller coaster that will forever alter the skyline ( Like Fury is doing to Carowinds's entrance) or something else that no other park has seen before? Call me when we get to that announcement.

kINGS DOMINION - THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!!!

I had forgotten about the trashcan brakes on Hypersonic!

I still remember that being the most OMFG moment of airtime that I had ever felt on a coaster - at least until I rode El Toro and Maverick years later.

This one trick pony WAS a bit of a disappointment though after waiting in that slow, agonizing 1.5 - 2 hour line in 90 degree heat.

I came across a video I made at Kings Dominion in 1990 during a school trip. I filmed alot of things but not on the rides. Check it out if you want to see some of Kings Dominion from 25 years ago. Its on youtube and called Paramount Kings Dominion 1990. I even filmed some of the seals back when it was a water show in that complex.

I came across a video I made at Kings Dominion in 1990 during a school trip. I filmed alot of things but not on the rides. Check it out if you want to see some of Kings Dominion from 25 years ago. Its on youtube and called Paramount Kings Dominion 1990. I even filmed some of the seals back when it was a water show in that complex.

Nice video! Thanks for the memories!

Course, you were a little premature with the title "Paramount's Kings Dominion". Paramount/Viacom did not take over the park until the end of the 1992 season. Your video was shot when the park was still under KECO management (Kings Entertainment Company).

Oh man, that video brings me back!

As to the Hypersonic XLC conversation, I was lucky to ride it opening year. It was by far the most powerful launch I've ever been on for sure, and the air time was INSANE. In later years, it really hurt to ride, but when it was new, it was all awesome… except the line. It's a shame the line never got shorter as it got older.

Speaking of downtime, the first time I rode that ride, we actually went to go get back in line for a second ride when it broke down. Also, it didn't just break down, it broke down in the most horrifying way I've ever seen a ride break down. The train literally stopped vertically on the upward portion of the track. It looked like this

It probably sat like that for 20 minutes + before it was lowered down. And, by lowered down, I mean they released it, then used the brakes in this "jerky trim" motion before it lowered back onto the launch section all the way back to the station. It had to be 90+ degrees outside, and those poor people on the ride probably didn't have any sunglasses to stare straight up into the blinding sun.

To this day I can't believe that ride had a damn brake run on a vertical section, especially not with enough stopping power to hold a train in place. What a weird damn ride.

I can take the Paramount out of the heading. I thought it was owned by Paramount at that time period since all the characters were there. I also remember seeing the huge sign out on I95. Maybe im wrong. Back then I didnt ride roller coasters. I wish I would have atleast went up the tower and took video of the entire park. Thanks for having a look at it....

• 2 weeks later...
They released opening day dates! And there's a special day for season pass holders...never seen that before...

I'm so hyped now!

Tep--BGW has done this for years, and it looks like KD (or maybe Cedar Fair) has decided to follow suit.

Has anyone stayed at the cabins in the campground, and if so, how would they compare to Lighthouse Point at CP? Looking to go with a small (8ish) group. We can do it in a day, but with kids we don't want to rush everything. This seems to be the cheaper route than one of the sponsored hotels across the street.

Also, why the early closing late May/ early June after Memorial Day during the week?

Easter Sunday isn't a bad day to visit. I went to Carowinds last year on a rainy cold Good Friday and it was pretty crowded that day. When I passed by the park on Sunday it appeared to be empty. I think that would be a good day to visit either park as well. Also another good day for KD was the weekend right after Halloween this year. Everything was a walk on on the Saturday after Halloween when I went this year.

I plan on going to Carowinds for Easter Weekend. But I'm also thinking about making that 4hr drive to Kings Dominion for that weekend as well. Anybody know is that a good idea, or should I just wait to see what 2016 may bring?

2016 is rumored to be the next big year for Kings Dominion and quite possibly the year for Kings Dominion's next MAJOR coaster.

Edited by cfc

Eddie, I stayed at the new deluxe cabins for a week last October. They were great, the staff were very accommodating, and there is a free shuttle to the park (although I didn't use it, since with the Platinum Pass, I could just park for free.)

I'd highly recommend it as opposed to the chain hotels across the street. Also, those hotels and the campgrounds are quite near a freight train route, and at least the cabins, with the tree cover and the setting seemed to drown a lot of that out. The Country Inn and Suites across the street seems to have the train go right behind it, and I am sure it would be noisy.

Eddie, I stayed at the new deluxe cabins for a week last October. They were great, the staff were very accommodating, and there is a free shuttle to the park (although I didn't use it, since with the Platinum Pass, I could just park for free.)

I'd highly recommend it as opposed to the chain hotels across the street. Also, those hotels and the campgrounds are quite near a freight train route, and at least the cabins, with the tree cover and the setting seemed to drown a lot of that out. The Country Inn and Suites across the street seems to have the train go right behind it, and I am sure it would be noisy.

Thanks for the input! Are they "roomy", and what kind of "privacy" do they have. I understand the whole campground atmosphere, but the ones at CP seemed t be right on top of each other and the neighbors were rightherebesideyou.