TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'm not sure if a coaster would be coming to Kings Dominion in 2016, because what about Canadas Wonderland and maybe Cedar point. Cedar Fair really should add more than one coaster per year.

Kings Dominion is overdue for a new coaster

Yes i agree,that was sort of my point. I just said that a coaster was likely for those parks instead.

I'm not sure if a coaster would be coming to Kings Dominion in 2016, because what about Canadas Wonderland and maybe Cedar point. Cedar Fair really should add more than one coaster per year.

Kings Dominion is overdue for a new coaster, while Canada's Wonderland and Cedar Point are not. The last coaster Kings Dominion recieved was Intiminator 305 in 2010, which is five years straight without a new coaster. Canada's Wonderland recieved Leviathan in 2012, which is only three years without a MAJOR new coaster, and Cedar Point recieved Gatekeeper in 2013, which is only two years without a MAJOR new coaster. The 2015 attraction at Cedar Point probaly won't be a MAJOR new coaster, but rather the rumored transformation of Mantis into a floorless coaster. Also, every other former Parmount Park will have by next year recieved a MAJOR new coaster since Kings Dominion recieved Intiminator 305 in 2010. Canada's Wonderland recieved Leviathan in 2012, Kings Island recieved Banshee in 2014, Carowinds will recieve Fury 325 next year for 2015, and Californa's Great America recieved Goldstriker in 2013. So I think 2016 will be Kings Dominion's year to shine.

Canada's Wonderland and Cedar Point are larger parks though attendance wise, so they are going to get invested in more.

CW shouldn't be receiving a large coaster anytime soon, a medium sized coaster or replacement of one of their God-awful wooden coasters.

Cedar Point will be getting a big addition once again this season and KI just got their feed for a few years.

Valleyfair, Dorney and WOF are dying for something.

MiA is basically hopeless.

Great America got Gold Rusher not too long ago so they can hold off for a little while.

Knotts Berry Farm is up in the air, I have no idea about them.

Kings Dominion received I305 in 2010, it is about time for a new coaster but it won't be anything huge. Perhaps a replacement of on of their wooden coasters. I'd rather just see them completely over haul both grizzly and hurler instead of a new coaster.

Carowinds is gonna be big in the next few seasons, now that they're getting a giga, I'd put my money on some new flats, family attractions and renovations to their other coasters in the coming years.

Edited by ScreaminNewEngland

Yeah you sound a little greedy for complaining about not getting a coaster in 5 years. You guys got a giga coaster too, so your expected to wait longer. Valleyfair is going on 8 years without a coaster, and we are most likely going to get a B&M invert in 2016, along with a waterpark makeover in 2015. Valleyfair was stated by CF to receive SIGNIFICANT growth, just like Carowinds did. So I'm guessing you guys are going to have to wait a bit longer before you get your new coaster.

I have always thought that Carowinds is undersized for the region it serves. Most major North Carolina metro areas are within 150 miles of the park; as well as a good chunk of South Carolina. Kings Dominion has "dominated" when it came to adding attractions over the years. Now, Cedar Fair is trying to right-size Carowinds to better serve the region of the country it is in.

I don't think KD is going to be neglected in the future. We are getting a revamp and expansion of the water park (which is badly needed) for 2015. I believe a coaster is in the future (2016 or 2017 at the latest). Plus, the park is continuing with badly needed infrastructure improvements and area themeing in 2015 as well. The mountain is continuing with renovation; the Carousel is still undergoing a restoration process as well. I would not be surprised if more of the pathway asphalt is pulled up in favor of paving bricks.

Right now, Cedar Fair is trying to get those parks in the chain, that have the most potential for growth and income, upgraded on an accelerated basis. Carowinds is one of those parks to get accelerated development over a 3 year period; which would probably take 5-6 years under normal conditions. If that helps Cedar Fair make gains to their financial bottom line, then it really helps all parks in the chain including KD.

Please, just stop

Parks needs to have a viable reason to invest in any expensive expenditure. Apparently, KD park doesn't have one. A park the size of KD getting a $25 million coaster is nothing short of a miracle. They're probably still financing the ride, so of course there wont be big investments made. Parks can only do what is feasible for them, and i305 is proving just that. Calm them tits people, plz.

I never thought I'd see the day that KD fans are jealous of Carowinds. Usually (at least for me) it's the other way around.

Not very jealous - I'd rather KD spend 30 million on a unique ride that can't be found on the other side of the park.

In all seriousness though, I live 3 hours away from each park and even with the addition of Fury 325, I'll probably still visit KD nearly 8 or so times next season with probably 2 trips down to Carowinds.

Ever since the Intimidator additions, Kings Dominion has gotten many more investments in general sprucing up the park, renovating every section of the park (after next season with WaterWorks), not to mention getting a whole new children's area. Carowinds definitely deserved a coaster before KD.

2016 will be the next big year for KD, I've been saying that since 2010. It's only fair that KD has to wait an extra season since they got arguably one of the best coasters in the world (plus it's a giga) and all the others got your general cookie cutter hyper.