TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I spent yesterday at Kings Dominion on a trip that was postponed from June due to car problems, and I must say that the park did almost everything right for its 40th anniversary. Matt Ouimet continues to prove he has a certain knack for saying "yes" to all the right ideas.

It was great to have the singing mushrooms back, and the Candy Apple Grove signs were spot on. The return of Safari Village was fun, and the fountains on International Street looked awesome. The KD40 show was good (and, unlike Kings Island's 40th anniversary show, park specific and air conditioned... though they should have better proofed the park factoids that aired prior to the performance -- I spotted two typos), and I loved the historical displays inside the entrance gift shop (especially the original figure from Journey to the Land of Dooz). After having been denied by my parents two decades ago, I even finally was able to get a blue ice cream cone (though it didn't have much flavor, and the portion size was completely out of control). My biggest regret is missing the Clown Band, which is off on Thursdays.

My one complaint is the lack of quality 40th anniversary merchandise. Maybe it was there earlier in the season, and I just missed it? All I could find were some expensive cups and a few T-shirts featuring the mushrooms. I read online that there were commemorative pins, but aside from a framed set in one of the displays, I couldn't find any. During Kings Island's 40th anniversary season, I bought a throwback T-shirt with the park's original logo; I was hoping they would do the same thing for Kings Dominion, but I didn't see any. A 40th anniversary pressed penny would have been nice (I got one of them made during Kings Island's 40th, as well), but again if there was one available, I never saw it... and I was looking.

I also was hoping (though not expecting) for some additional singing mushroom merchandise, specifically maybe some plush. I saw one plush mushroom in one of the displays, but none for sale. Since all of the mushrooms' songs are either park specific or old (public domain) standards, it seems like it would be easy to issue a CD with all the songs (I have one from Monster Mansion at SFOG). There also was a video playing in the display with original park commercials and interviews with early executives that seems like it would have made a very nifty souvenir DVD, again at almost no extra cost since the source material was already there. But again... no such luck.

One more observation: If you've never ridden Boo Blasters on Boo Hill without shooting, as if it were a regular dark ride, there are some fun dialog and animation surprises in there that you've probably never noticed before. Not sure if most of it was there before the post-Scooby Doo re-theme or not.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an all new Haunt website this year - and it's finally live!

https://www.kingsdominion.com/things-to-do/halloween-haunt

Quick Notes:

1.) I love the return of Maze of Madness - I feel like it's going to be No Vacancy/Zombie High attention to detail and a great facade.

2.) No replacement for Miner's Revenge? Wonder if they just haven't released it yet or nothing is actually happening, which would be rather disappointing because of the idiotic protestors.

3.) No new scare zones... kind of a bummer to me

4.) Only 3 shows? Not even one listed in the KD Theater or Grand Bandstand. I feel like this the show names/logos of the shows aren't complete yet and that's why they aren't on the website yet.

Keep in mind, the website hasn't been released to the public yet (only accessible if you truly hunt for it) and could very well still be a work in progress.

Anyways, I'll be doing my last pre-Haunt trip to the park tomorrow. I'll post an update of how Haunt construction is going and if I hear any rumors.

cf_darknessasylum_interiorpage1.jpg.8fbbabcffe582b15be057ec29c46f2a6.jpg

Edited by Intimidator305

great photo! Man I wish KD did behind the scenes tours. I would LOVE to talk a walk back to i305 or Volcano and get some photos and videos of the trains whizzing by.

So do I! I feel like with the park becoming more and more guest-friendly, it could happen eventually.

Also, update to the Miner's Revenge rumor - on top of the protestors last year, now Virginia's new ADA laws may not even be allowing the park to have a maze in the WWC line. Even though it was always a weaker maze no matter the theme, it's always a disappointment to lose a maze. I guess that just means more monsters everywhere else!

great photo! Man I wish KD did behind the scenes tours. I would LOVE to talk a walk back to i305 or Volcano and get some photos and videos of the trains whizzing by.

So do I! I feel like with the park becoming more and more guest-friendly, it could happen eventually.

Also, update to the Miner's Revenge rumor - on top of the protestors last year, now Virginia's new ADA laws may not even be allowing the park to have a maze in the WWC line. Even though it was always a weaker maze no matter the theme, it's always a disappointment to lose a maze. I guess that just means more monsters everywhere else!

What protesters last year?

^ On top of many complaints on their Facebook page saying they'd never return to the park again, it made local news all across the region.

www.wsls.com/story/23797028/miners-union-va-theme-park-attraction-an-insult

Americans are more sensitive than Canadians. This maze made a long-run at Wonderland.

Ah, now I remember. Although wasn't that maze protested in part because there was a deadly disaster at a mine not to far away?

^ On top of many complaints on their Facebook page saying they'd never return to the park again, it made local news all across the region.

www.wsls.com/story/23797028/miners-union-va-theme-park-attraction-an-insult

Americans are more sensitive than Canadians. This maze made a long-run at Wonderland.

Ah, now I remember. Although wasn't that maze protested in part because there was a deadly disaster at a mine not to far away?

Yeah, the whole brouhaha was pretty dumb. Hell, Black Diamond at Knoebels is themed to coal-mining disasters and no one batted an eye about it.

Edited by cfc

Highlight of my trip to Kings Dominion today: Getting on White Water Canyon in the pouring rain, turning to the man pressing the buttons and asking, "Excuse me, how wet do you get on this ride?" The death glare he gave me was priceless.

It was my first time at the park. Anaconda was down, but I'm not missing out on much when it comes to an old Arrow, am I?

+ Intimidator 305 might be my new favorite. I'll have to ride Millennium Force again to be sure, but I might just be in love.

Volcano rocked. Grizzly was much better than I expected. I accidentally punched myself in the face while riding Shockwave... it's a Togo. Sh!t happens. This park is very well rounded, and honestly I didn't think the water park was half bad. It was also virtually empty, so I could have just gotten a good impression of WaterWorks...

Overall, good day. I've been going to Kings Island my entire life, so it was an interesting experience. I can't wait to go back!

Highlight of my trip to Kings Dominion today: Getting on White Water Canyon in the pouring rain, turning to the man pressing the buttons and asking, "Excuse me, how wet do you get on this ride?" The death glare he gave me was priceless.

It was my first time at the park. Anaconda was down, but I'm not missing out on much when it comes to an old Arrow, am I?

+ Intimidator 305 might be my new favorite. I'll have to ride Millennium Force again to be sure, but I might just be in love.

Volcano rocked. Grizzly was much better than I expected. I accidentally punched myself in the face while riding Shockwave... it's a Togo. Sh!t happens. This park is very well rounded, and honestly I didn't think the water park was half bad. It was also virtually empty, so I could have just gotten a good impression of WaterWorks...

Overall, good day. I've been going to Kings Island my entire life, so it was an interesting experience. I can't wait to go back!

Nice! I'll be there later this afternoon so hopefully crowds are still fairly light.

I had a good time at the park yesterday. Crowds were fairly light and I got on most of the rides in 5 hours. Anaconda was still down. I didn't see anyone working on it though. The highlight of my visit had to be getting the last ride of the night on Volcano in the front seat. The second we were dispatched, it started pouring which made it an interesting ride.

Speaking of Volcano, how long ago did they reroute the station and change the side that you load on? Last time, you had to wait in that long ramp inside the structure, but this time the entire wait outside of choosing a seat was outside the volcano. The trains are also loaded in the same spot that they are unloaded now instead of being done in two separate spots. Did the park do this to prevent employees from having to wheel the carts with guest items to the unload area or do you think they may be planning on doing something like Wonder Mountain? The Smurf Mountain station is still standing if they plan to use it.

Kings Dominion just tweeted out about a water park expansion for 2015. Yes, this looks like the same slide complex they are pushing around the parks.

Major WaterWorks Expansion New for 2015 at Kings Dominion

Slide complex and splash zone among new additions to Virginia’s premier water park

DOSWELL, VA (August 21, 2014) – Kings Dominion is adding a splash to its 40th anniversary celebration with a major expansion to its 20-acre water park, WaterWorks. The newly expanded water park will open to the public in the spring of 2015.

In addition to the water slides, rides and wave pool that have been a part of WaterWorks, the new expansion features elements that spell fun for the whole family including a mega water slide complex, a family-friendly splash zone, expanded cabana accommodations and amenities that will enhance the overall water park experience for guests.

The 65-foot tall slide complex features three thrilling new attractions. On Paradise Plunge, thrill-seekers will step into one of three chambers and wait anxiously for the floor to drop out from underneath their feet, sending them in a high-speed, almost vertical free fall through a series of loops and s-curves in a translucent flume. Aqua Blast will send riders twisting and spiraling through an enclosed chute featuring four intense 360-degree loops across 449 feet of slide before they’re dropped out into a pool of water. A wet and wild adventure will await guests on Thunder Falls as they climb into a single or double raft before being launched down a series of intense drops and turns.

Splash Island will be a space geared toward younger guests and their parents and will double the current size of the children’s options available in WaterWorks. Features include small slides designed for young children and multiple jets of streaming water that spray up from the ground, as well as overhead. Little ones can let their imaginations run wild as they get soaked underneath large cascading flowers, take a trip down a slide, or pump and direct water that shoots out from one of the many splash pad creatures.

Splash Island will also offer options for parents and family members looking to relax and soak up the sun in the adjacent lounge area while they watch the children play.

In addition to expanded pool-side cabanas, upgraded bath houses and additional restrooms are also part of the water park expansion plans.

“This major expansion to WaterWorks will allow family members of all generations to experience water park fun together with our new splash zone,” Kings Dominion’s vice-president and general manager Pat Jones said. “We are keeping with our traditions of providing entertainment and fun to all ages. We chose this six-slide complex to give our thrill-seeking guests a completely new water slide experience and Splash Island to provide a relaxing environment for more family fun.”

WaterWorks will continue to be available at no extra charge for Kings Dominion visitors. “We’re happy to offer two parks for the price of one,” says Jones. “The improved look and feel of WaterWorks will add to our guest’s experience. We can’t wait to share that with them.”

Guests who want to be among the first to experience the exciting new additions to Kings Dominion’s water park can purchase a 2015 Season Pass now at the absolute lowest price online at kingsdominion.com or at the park during public operating days through November 3.

Kings Dominion is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Kings Dominion, Cedar Fair also owns and operates ten other amusement parks, four water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Theme Park in California under a management contract.

Going with KD's current trend, with the addition will also bring a refresh of the whole area including new paint on slides, signage, ect. Now that the park has improved every area of the dry park, WaterWorks is definitely next on the list and next year is the time to do it. I also love the placement of this complex as it will bring a better flow to the water park. I'm interested to find out where Splash Island will go, but that will be the perfect fit for the replacement of Snoopy's Splash Dance in Planet Snoopy. The only disappointment I have is I was hoping for a rename of the water park to "Hurricane Reef" (it's original name) as a part of the second part of the 40th Celebration.

I'm sure we'll see plenty more bringing back the past next year as well as general park improvements while getting that budget ready for the next large investment. Bring on the 2016 roller coaster.

I've attached a photo of the slide complex.

10628103_10152213207096875_5658781708145875678_n.jpg.312e45d197aee2b21b5d926386d0c2d2.jpg

Haunt XIV construction update & some goodies

I was at the park on Wednesday for my final trip of the summer before Haunt season arrives and took some shots of the new Maze of Madness in Dodgem and SlaughterHouse and thought I'd share. I also snapped some other shots and picked a few. Enjoy!

Also, I was shocked with the crowd at the park. It was a nice day and I guess everyone was getting their back to school trips in. I did manage to hit all the big rides with multiple rides on Intimidator 305 of course and Windseeker.

IMG_2287.thumb.JPG.7c7cf0b252b47dd689e99aa32d776e46.JPG

Maze of Madness Construction

IMG_2290.thumb.JPG.870a5e31463ea91073ac0707674133c9.JPG

Maze of Madness Construction

IMG_2291.thumb.JPG.65901f6eb0932066e7e1ecbff1798b08.JPG

Maze of Madness front facade

IMG_2295.thumb.JPG.9c2ed22fbc57ff33dbe1f6eb9fb0fdc4.JPG

SlaughterHouse front facade

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.168ae549cfe5852a15ceeccf6b8a4c88.JPG

Obligatory KD shot - so much prettier than KI's International Street

IMG_2306.thumb.JPG.04fd05b39206f082f244802b92ac7b27.JPG

Mandatory 305 shot - nice try Fury 325, but you won't even compare

IMG_2300.thumb.JPG.98774dad380c7e26cc1e39cfaa79a634.JPG

Feeling artsy with Americana - I love all the new landscaping this season, thanks Matt Ouimet

IMG_2294.thumb.JPG.7d3fe961cd22d3f133783584889fa175.JPG

SlaughterHouse front facade