TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Went to the park today for the first time. Thanks to all those they gave advice about 10 pages back. The tip to go to Volcano is critical. I was on the second train and shortly after that there was a really long wait. Almost everything was a walk on even with 1 train ops. I 305 was about a three train wait but only running 1.

I was very surprised at how much I liked Rebel Yell over Racer. I live across the street from KI and was wierded out a bit with the similarities in the park but Rebel Yell had a lot more airtime than Racer. My only problem was why can't the exit just exit onto the path it is inches from instead of wrapping around for a half mile. Also I was pleasantly surprised with Avalanche. I had high expectations of I 305 and it far exceeded my expectations. The park also has a lot more trees on International street and in the center of the park which is a nice bonus. I had some King Kobra flashbacks on Shockwave. On my way out I was asked to do a survey about FunTV. The questions were just like the questions and info that was given during Banshee Bash.

Thanks for all the tips. I had a great time but I still like Ki better Got to support my local park.

Glad you had a great time at Kings Dominion and that most of the rides were walk ons for you!

Is it just me, or has Kings Dominion really not been crowded at all this season? In years past, the park has built up some really packed days, but it seems like this year hasn't really gotten that crowded. I think the longest line I've waited in all season has been 45 minutes (of course, for Volcano)

Is it just me, or has Kings Dominion really not been crowded at all this season? In years past, the park has built up some really packed days, but it seems like this year hasn't really gotten that crowded. I think the longest line I've waited in all season has been 45 minutes (of course, for Volcano)

I was actually wondering the same thing. Other than my visit to KD during spring break, the park has been pretty dead every other time I've gone so far this season. I went yesterday and the park was only somewhat crowded in the waterpark. I ended up waiting 1 train for I-305 at around 4:00, and not 20 minutes later, I practically walked onto Dominator.

I know recently Friday July 18 - Sunday July 20 was some of the most crowded days of the season, so I've heard. On that Saturday the season pass parking lot was full and the regular parking lot was practically full (including the gravel lots). Needless to say, if you go on a Saturday, you'll be waiting (especially during Haunt!).

Another thing is, I've noticed this season is operations are doing well, moving faster, and having more trains/staff on weekdays which is always a plus.

I have a ? concerning Hurler, I've never ridden the one at Kings Dominion as I've never been, I've ridden the one at Carowinds, and since they're pretty much identical from the looks of it, I figured i'd ask my question here, since this thread is busier.

Growing up, Wayne's World was one of my favorite movies, so in the Paramount days, how themed was Hurler, I get that the station is supposed to be a TV Studio, I guess like the one Waynes World is filmed in?? Also, did the one at Kings Dominion, have a Stan [ Totally Blanking On The Last Name] restaurant with the hockey player on top, out front? I'm sure it wasn't a Batman or Disney themed level, but was it at least somewhat themed to it?

I have a ? concerning Hurler, I've never ridden the one at Kings Dominion as I've never been, I've ridden the one at Carowinds, and since they're pretty much identical from the looks of it, I figured i'd ask my question here, since this thread is busier.

Growing up, Wayne's World was one of my favorite movies, so in the Paramount days, how themed was Hurler, I get that the station is supposed to be a TV Studio, I guess like the one Waynes World is filmed in?? Also, did the one at Kings Dominion, have a Stan [ Totally Blanking On The Last Name] restaurant with the hockey player on top, out front? I'm sure it wasn't a Batman or Disney themed level, but was it at least somewhat themed to it?

yes they have a whole "waynes world" area with a Stan Mikita's and other rock n roll stuff. they used to have a stretched customized AMC Gremlin like in the movie, too. it was all de-themed when Cedar Fair took over.

A question also regarding Hurler; Has the Kings Dominion version's first turn been re-tracked like Carowinds' Hurler? I noticed it made a huge difference in ride experience from the latter. I'm heading up to KD soon, so I just want to know.

^ Nope, but it wasn't in quite as bad shape as Carowinds'... but still in awful condition. Carowinds' is better now after the retracking this offseason obviously.

I never though Carowinds version was as awful as people made it out to be.. It wasn't a great coaster by any means, but I was expecting a wooden version of SFOG'S Ninja the way people were talking.

Going back a few post I noticed discussion on the smaller crowds at KD. I was curious to what people thought because Ki has been more crowded this year than I can remember. I know there is a shiny new coaster but I don't think that is the primary reason. Is KD not crowded because of BGW? I was shocked that coasters were walk ons with 1 train ops. For the last couple of years at KI they run full train operations and usually have at least 10 minutes wait. Any theory on why KI has a larger crowd when the parks are very similar? Any concern about KD with the smaller crowds?

Crowds have been a issue for a few years now. Outside of the normal busy Saturdays(occasional Sunday I think most days are pretty much walk on. I have been numerous times over the past few years since since i305 was added and I rarely see much of a line for it. Most of the time its one train operations. I would be curious to know what the attendance numbers have been over the last few years because I'm guessing it's been on a steady decline. Don't get me wrong it's great for those of us who enjoy walkins but I am concerned about the long term viability of the park. I'm sure it will have an impact on what type of future investments the park will have in the near future. You take parks like CW, KI and CP (huge attendance) they will continually invest heavily in those parks. CW is already rumored for another coaster next year.

I can remember the glory days of this park and waiting 2+ hours to ride RY, 2+ for KK, Haunted River, Safari Tram, ETC. Literally elbow to elbow walking down Candy Grove. I would love to see this park thrive in the future and return to its former glory.

I truly don't think BGW is impacting attendance. They have been battling each other since the mid-70's and both have always done well and both parks cater to a different class of people. Enthusiast will choose KD and Families will choose BGW. BGW is also a travel destination where as KD is just and amusement park.

just my 2 cents

So, Medieval Macabre is out?

Yes, getting replaced by the return of "Maze of Madness" to celebrate the 40th Anniversary. We're still waiting to hear how they're going to tweak Miner's Revenge to make it non-offensive as there's rumors the name and anything miner related are out.

As far as attendance goes, I was just at KD and BGW the same day on Tuesday. If I had to guess both parks had roughly the same amount of people, if not slightly more at KD. What many people don't realize at KD is the fact that many people are very hidden in the back portion of the water park, especially in the wave pools. This is why KD is and needs to invest in the water park next season, it's one of the most popular attractions and can people shoulder-to-shoulder crowded on the hottest days of summer.

To put this past Tuesdays wait-times in comparison:

BGW

Griffon, Alpengeist, Verbolten - all walk-ons

Apollo's Chariot - 5 mins

LochNess Monster - 10 mins

Flats - 0-1 cycle wait

Shows - decent crowds

KD

Coasters not listed - walk-on to 1 cycle wait

Flight of Fear, Dominator - 10 mins

Intimidator 305 - 15 mins

Volcano - 30 mins

Flats - 1-2 cycle wait

Shows - decent crowds

Also, remember that some Virginia schools are already back in session even though we do have the Kings Dominion Law.

Edited by Intimidator305

Hey guys,

If you've learned anything about me is I'm a strange bird. I'm in love with amusement park nostalgia. Seeing things from the past come back to an amusement park gives me the fuzzies. Like nuts.

Why am I saying that? Because I'm very proud of KD for bringing back the past this year. The singing mushrooms are giving me the fuzzies and the flower clock is just outstanding. A SFI park wouldn't do that. Kudos Cedar Fair!

Crowds have been a issue for a few years now. Outside of the normal busy Saturdays(occasional Sunday I think most days are pretty much walk on. I have been numerous times over the past few years since since i305 was added and I rarely see much of a line for it. Most of the time its one train operations. I would be curious to know what the attendance numbers have been over the last few years because I'm guessing it's been on a steady decline. Don't get me wrong it's great for those of us who enjoy walkins but I am concerned about the long term viability of the park. I'm sure it will have an impact on what type of future investments the park will have in the near future. You take parks like CW, KI and CP (huge attendance) they will continually invest heavily in those parks. CW is already rumored for another coaster next year.

I can remember the glory days of this park and waiting 2+ hours to ride RY, 2+ for KK, Haunted River, Safari Tram, ETC. Literally elbow to elbow walking down Candy Grove. I would love to see this park thrive in the future and return to its former glory.

I truly don't think BGW is impacting attendance. They have been battling each other since the mid-70's and both have always done well and both parks cater to a different class of people. Enthusiast will choose KD and Families will choose BGW. BGW is also a travel destination where as KD is just and amusement park.

just my 2 cents

Most of the time, you cant just eyeball attendance levels. So much more goes into it than simply how long the lines are (which, in my experiences, are actually pretty healthy...sure, Intimidator is often dead but Flight of Fear and Volcano consistently draw large waits anyway).

First off, you have to consider the capacity for the park to handle people. KD has 14 roller coasters...thats quite a bit more than the average park. And their flat ride selection isnt half bad either. So when youve got a ton of rides to disperse the crowds over, crowds are going to seem lighter. Sure, KI and CP have more rides and more crowds, but KI draws from a larger population of people and CP is an anomaly in that its a destination regional amusement park. A more fitting comparison would be something like SFA...similar location, but even lower crowds and less rides to put people through. Heck, even look within Cedar Fair; do Dorney, WoF, or VF draw monster lines for their big rides? Not really, and, once again, they have less rides to even people out.

Another thing to consider is the guest behavior at KD. Revenue doesnt come solely from ticket purchases. Cedar Point announced that guest spending was up, increasing their revenue despite a dip in attendance. If KD's guests are spending, then the park may be in very good shape as far as revenue is concerned.

I wouldnt worry about Kings Dominion, unless theres some hard evidence out there that its struggling. But you cant just look at a queue line and question the parks viability.

Hey guys, just need some info real quick. I am traveling to KD for my first time and I was wondering:

1. What are the Sunday crowds normally?

2.What happens when the rain comes? Like, what shuts down...ETC.

3. Lastly, what order should I do the park in? Intimidator and Volcano are musts.

Thanks for the help!

Sunday crowds can be a hit or miss, but mornings after church are usually dead.

I have not experienced a rainy day this season, there may be one when I go tomorrow, so it will be an experience.

Hit these first:

Volcano

FOF

I305

Backlot

Dominator (afternoon, evening only!)

Any flats, and other coasters can be hit in any order.

Hope this helps, this is just from my experience.

I think that the line verses crowd issue would be solved if it weren't for the waterparks. I know Hershey rarely has any lines for their rides (during the day) but just look at the mass of people in the waterpark, and all of the cars in the lot. I think the same holds true for KD, If you take out the waterpark, the lines for the rides would be long all day.........kinda like Haunt times when the waterpark is closed.